Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2013   #181
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
The point that your missing is many of those players who were starters haven't been replaced. 2-5 record suggests that I am RIGHT and you're WRONG!
Right about what? Am I arguing that the team is off to a good start?

The conclusion that if the team is 2-5 neccessarily means that the talent is poor, the cap is mismanaged, and the coaching stinks is absurd. There can be all kinds of reasons for the bad start. By the way, I'm not making excuses. I am suggesting that we discuss the issues with some common sense, maturity, and concern for the truth- instead of simply throwing a temper tantrum. I am very interested in why the team is failing. Though, I am looking for clarity and thoughts from others, which is why I am on this board and involved in these discussions. Otherwise, I would be on houstontexans.com and looking for threads titled "Texans Suck... Nuff said" or some other moronic posts from 19 year-olds who never played football, don't understand the game, and have zero idea what they are talking about.

You don't really believe the Texans would be a better team with Kevin Walter, Vickers, etc... be honest.

Regarding Winston, I never said Newton was better. Newton is a major issue. I am suggesting that it was a good move to cut Winston loose two years ago from his $25 million deal. His poor showing in KC and disinterest in him around the league illustrate that it was wise. The Texans made a big mistake in relying on Newton this year. They should have added another reliable tackle- which they whiffed on when they drafted a hobbled Brennan Williams. That has turned out to be a gamble that has snowballed into big problems on the field... combine that with Kubiak's stubbornness to play Newton over Harris in passing situations like the 4th quarter vs. KC, and I see plenty of costly mistakes.

But, no, I'm not going to criticize the organization for cutting Winston and Kevin Walter. come on!
Old 10-25-2013   #182
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Andre Johnson
Duane Brown
Chris Meyers
Arian Foster
Owen Daniels
Brian Cushing

Those are all TEXAN players that are arguably #1/2/3 at their respective positions in the entire NFL that we re-signed to keep on the team. And they're contracts reflect that as well.

Matt Schaub is looking like a bad extension that will likely hurt this team significantly.

Antonio Smith is a better player than most fans admit but he's probably not playing up to his contract.

Johnathan Joseph
Danieal Manning - both excellent additions to a decrepit secondary even with play not as good as year one.

Demeco was a GREAT LB but after injury was being paid too much with not being an every down back anymore. Awesome trade to rid us of contract and get draft pick.

I completely support the other moves (or no action) Smith has made regarding Winston, Jacoby, Brisiel, Walter, Barwin, Leech when it comes to managing our cap.

Jury is still out on Ed Reed, now that he's back in playing shape he has to step up his game.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #183
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

With regards to the Colts, they got lucky plain and simple. A stroke of bad luck, the Manning injury, happened to them a the best possible time, a year when there were 2 elite QBs available at the top of the draft. They cut Manning, thus creating cap space, and we're able to draft a stud QB. That doesn't exactly amount to some genius cap management. How good would they be now if the Manning injury occurred the year Gabbert was the top QB, would they look so smart then?

I believe we are 2-5 because Schaub is broken. He's not the player he used to be and his turn overs have killed us. It's not all on him, but he's the biggest issue this year. We have plenty of other contributors to our suckitude, but you cannot win in the NFL if you turn the ball over as much as we have
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #184
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
Toot your horn a little bit more please.

You said that back in 2010 you said the Colts would control the division. Polian was still the GM and Caldwell was the Coach. Did you know they would fire the coach after the next season? Did you know it was Pagano they would hire?

Your analysis is fundamentally flawed. The Texans don't need to improve across the board, they need to improve at the QB, RG, RT, ILB and S positions. They will need depth at the RB spot as well. Fix the QB and the RG/RT are less of a problem. Do you want them to go out and sign free agents?

I would even argue that our coach is the problem before I would argue that we suffer a talent deficiency. Line us up position by position and tell me where the Colts have an advantage talent wise. QB. SS. RG/RT. Maybe OLB. Oh yeah, they have a better kicker.

The reason this team is in this hole has nothing to do with talent or cap management, it has to do with coaching. It is that boot leg and the fact that a team can sit on that out route over and over. It has to do with the fact that our offense is no longer potent and Wade's defense will suffer by not being able to gamble as much. But talent wise? Give me a break.

But don't let an analytical exercise like that get in the way of a good argument.

Mike
What part of over the last 4 years The Texans have had less than Vet Minimum to spend on players to fill out and complete their 53 man roster do you not understand? What part of this do find that makes a good plan to build a more competitive team? The Texans could just easily be 0-6. I guess the Texans could go 0-16 and you would still wouldn't be able to admit that you just might be wrong.

I knew the absence of Peyton Manning and the departure of Jeff Fisher would make the Texans appear better because the division was much weaker. Contrary to what you believe it didn't take a GENIUS to know the Colts w/o Manning and losing enough games for the 1st pick would dump 35 yr old Manning and pick Luck. I knew with their respective changes and responsible cleaning up of their salary cap positions would result in them getting better. I new that teams with close to $40 million to spend would get considerably better and teams with < $10 mil would not. You make think this is flawed thinking but so far it has been right on the money.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #185
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The conclusion that if the team is 2-5 neccessarily means that the talent is poor, the cap is mismanaged, and the coaching stinks is absurd. There can be all kinds of reasons for the bad start.
I think it is absurd to observe the Texans current state and look for a magic "other" reason for it while absolving the GM, coaching, and players of blame.

On another matter, I've seen you refer in several posts to the Texans "bad start". How do you define "start" - the first eight games of the season, with the last eight games being the end? Seeing as the Texans have played seven of sixteen games - 44% - I consider them in the middle part of their season. This is a serious question, because calling 2-5 a bad start is wordsmithing to minimize the dire straights in which the Texans find themselves. They don't have a great number of games left to recover.
Old 10-25-2013   #186
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You don't really believe the Texans would be a better team with Kevin Walter, Vickers, etc... be honest.

But, no, I'm not going to criticize the organization for cutting Winston and Kevin Walter. come on!
To be honest, the facts say the The Texans were a better a team and they were. It is only the many excuses (absence any facts) trying to justify that they weren't.

Criticize the organization, of course you're not!
Old 10-25-2013   #187
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
On another matter, I've seen you refer in several posts to the Texans "bad start". How do you define "start" - the first eight games of the season, with the last eight games being the end? Seeing as the Texans have played seven of sixteen games - 44% - I consider them in the middle part of their season. This is a serious question, because calling 2-5 a bad start is wordsmithing to minimize the dire straights in which the Texans find themselves. They don't have a great number of games left to recover.
Can we consider that the bad start began in December of last year?
Old 10-25-2013   #188
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Andre Johnson
Duane Brown
Chris Meyers
Arian Foster
Owen Daniels
Brian Cushing

Now tell us all about the bottom 40 players on that 53 man roster.
Old 10-25-2013   #189
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6009 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can we consider that the bad start began in December of last year?
You're absolutely right. We've seen glimpses of the good play pre-December (2nd half in SD, for example) but this has been a slippery slope for a long time.
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #190
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Regarding Winston, I never said Newton was better. Newton is a major issue. I am suggesting that it was a good move to cut Winston loose two years ago from his $25 million deal. His poor showing in KC and disinterest in him around the league illustrate that it was wise. The Texans made a big mistake in relying on Newton this year.
The only thing I'll throw out there in disagreement, and it shows itself in the Ryans situation as well, is it was not wise to cut Winston if they didn't have a replacement plan already in place. Waiting two years to draft Williams means they screwed up, regardless how the pick turned out. Relying on the Butler/Newton tandem when neither of them had outplayed Winston was a poor replacement plan. That all goes into the salary cap discussion.

And they replaced Ryans with Bradie James, so there's not much to argue there.
Old 10-25-2013   #191
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by robroy72 View Post
You're absolutely right. We've seen glimpses of the good play pre-December (2nd half in SD, for example) but this has been a slippery slope for a long time.
Yes Sir, that flickering light that has been seen is not a bulb getting ready to burn bright but instead is a bulb that is burning out.
Old 10-25-2013   #192
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272750 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now tell us all about the bottom 40 players on that 53 man roster.
OK. The Texans have 11 vets on significant contracts. There are 27 players on their rookie contracts. The remainder are basically special teamers who don't have a significant role other than Mays and Greg Jones. Jones plays a low play position - money is not what constrained the Texans. Every team carries guys like Weeks as LS and 4th string RBs at minimal contracts along with guys like Mack who are only expected to play ST.
Old 10-25-2013   #193
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
The only thing I'll throw out there in disagreement, and it shows itself in the Ryans situation as well, is it was not wise to cut Winston if they didn't have a replacement plan already in place. Waiting two years to draft Williams means they screwed up, regardless how the pick turned out. Relying on the Butler/Newton tandem when neither of them had outplayed Winston was a poor replacement plan. That all goes into the salary cap discussion.

I was not a huge Winston Fan, but in hindsight he was leaps and bounds better than anything we have now. Not even close.

There we're the occasional whiffs, but for the most part he'd block him man in pass pro and he was good in run blocking.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe the Texans felt like he was in a decline .
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #194
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure why Rick is getting so much negativity. He has helped build a solid team. Not his fault Matt is a dud this year. I would have tried to keep Glover and Barwin and passed on Reed because I feel that you dont get rid of young talent.

I also think he could have done a better job at fixing the RT spot, but he decided to draft a guy who was questionable due to an injury...

The reason that the window has closed or is closing is because our QB has failed us and his team. Our only hope is Keenum sparking a fire. If that fails I think we see a new GM, who hires his head coach who drafts his starting QB.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #195
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What part of over the last 4 years The Texans have had less than Vet Minimum to spend on players to fill out and complete their 53 man roster do you not understand? What part of this do find that makes a good plan to build a more competitive team? The Texans could just easily be 0-6. I guess the Texans could go 0-16 and you would still wouldn't be able to admit that you just might be wrong.
The Texans are a team that lacks discipline, not talent. The same team you are telling me is in such horrible shape just went into Arrowhead stadium with an in drafted QB making his first start and played the undefeated chiefs to basically a draw. Are you telling me that this team lacks talent?

This team lacks discipline.

Quote:
knew the absence of Peyton Manning and the departure of Jeff Fisher would make the Texans appear better because the division was much weaker. Contrary to what you believe it didn't take a GENIUS to know the Colts w/o Manning and losing enough games for the 1st pick would dump 35 yr old Manning and pick Luck. I knew with their respective changes and responsible cleaning up of their salary cap positions would result in them getting better. I new that teams with close to $40 million to spend would get considerably better and teams with < $10 mil would not. You make think this is flawed thinking but so far it has been right on the money.
LOL. So basically because Luck is an unbelievable talent you are the smartest guy in the room.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #196
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Ummmm....

Irsay decided to step out of his comfort zone and fire the Polian's. He took a chance and hired an unknown Grigson. Taking chances like this in addition to hitting on Luck are the reason the colts have passed the Texans in 2 yrs.

It's time for the Texans to take that step back for a couple of yrs and hire a new regime to begin a minor rebuild. This starts with finding the QB of the future and I dont want Rick/Gary making those choices.

If BoB had made the difficult decision like the Colts did after the 2009 season, like Irsay did with the Polian's, t and made the right hire, like the Colts did in hiring Grigson. The Texans would be in a much better place today. IMHO

Of course that was to traumatic for BoB to make a move like that at the time. Not that as you said previouly BoB owes the fanbase anything, you know like BoB doing everything in his power to put the best product possible on the field.
Yep. I have long said that if we'd fired Kubiak after 2010 - as would have been fair, given his performance - right now we could be in the third year of of new coach, new team, etc. and possibly looking forward to dominating teams.

Instead, we're behind the curve and trying to play catch up - again.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #197
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I was not a huge Winston Fan, but in hindsight he was leaps and bounds better than anything we have now. Not even close.

There we're the occasional whiffs, but for the most part he'd block him man in pass pro and he was good in run blocking.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe the Texans felt like he was in a decline .
Your last line is spot on from what I heard from a friend in the organization. There was solid concern about future performance decline in the near future
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #198
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't know about you, but I was high on Butler. Check old forum posts and I know I wasn't the only one. At the time, I felt for the amount of money we'd save, and the minimal amount of production we'd lose, cutting Winston was the right move. BTW, it's not like he's been playing well since he left either.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #199
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Yep. I have long said that if we'd fired Kubiak after 2010 - as would have been fair, given his performance - right now we could be in the third year of of new coach, new team, etc. and possibly looking forward to dominating teams.

Instead, we're behind the curve and trying to play catch up - again.
Or possibly stinking it up, have yet to make playoffs, currently talking about how we need to get rid of this new coach, and bitching about how we drafted Prince Amukamara over JJ Watt. You never know. There are mostly coach failures than successes.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #200
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I get what you are saying. However, it's not as if Winston went on to play solid football the next few years... He was done. So, I give the team credit for making that call when they did. Then, I am critical of the fact that they have failed to patch up the tackle position. They weren't replacing an all-pro. They were replacing a borderline NFL tackle (at the point of his release). So, good recognition on Winston and good, tough decision. But, then, come on! Coach someone up or bring in a veteran presence to sure the spot up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read