Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-24-2013   #1
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 3 NFL Games in London in 2014?

Am I reading this article correctly? Are there really going to be 3 NFL games in London next season? Yikes, that seems a bit overboard. I am opposed to the concept of having a team based there, but this seems to be where we are heading.

Dallas, Detroit, Miami to play NFL London in 2014

Quote:
LONDON (AP) -- The Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins will travel to London next year to take part in the NFL International Series, the league announced Thursday.

The NFL will hold three games at Wembley Stadium in 2014, with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Atlanta Falcons and Oakland Raiders as the designated home teams.

The lineup: Cowboys vs. Jaguars, Lions vs. Falcons, and Dolphins vs. Raiders.
Old 10-24-2013   #2
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3 NFL Games in London in 2014?

I thought the hags had 2 home games to play at their "home" in London.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I thought the hags had 2 home games to play at their "home" in London.
1 for each of the next four seasons.
Old 10-24-2013   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Eventually, I think we will see the Jaguars moved to London. Khan, the owner of the Jags, is also the owner of the EPL team Fulham. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them move there and share that stadium until they can build a new one to be split between the two.
Old 10-24-2013   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

meh.....bah humbug

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #6
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Eventually, I think we will see the Jaguars moved to London. Khan, the owner of the Jags, is also the owner of the EPL team Fulham. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them move there and share that stadium until they can build a new one to be split between the two.
And which teams are going to agree to send their players on a 15-hour round trip flight to play them? The Texans, Titans nor the Colts likely won't.

These games are a cute novelty and all, but, the logistics of a team in London are not there.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate it. Nothing further to say.
Old 10-24-2013   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why but when I hear London, I get bored
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #9
gwallaia

Rep Power: 72749 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully the Texans will never be penalized with a game in London.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #10
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 134405 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Hate it. Nothing further to say.
Me too. Europe doesn't follow the nfl. If they are hard up for an international team then send a team to Mexico City or Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal.
Old 10-24-2013   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
And which teams are going to agree to send their players on a 15-hour round trip flight to play them? The Texans, Titans nor the Colts likely won't.

These games are a cute novelty and all, but, the logistics of a team in London are not there.
I think there are 29 other teams in the league that will have a vote on that. It might not be ideal for those in their division, but for the league itself, it will mean more revenue. Certainly a lot more than what Jacksonville has ever been worth.
Old 10-24-2013   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Hopefully the Texans will never be penalized with a game in London.
They are attempting to avoid any divisional games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Me too. Europe doesn't follow the nfl. If they are hard up for an international team then send a team to Mexico City or Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal.
Yup. Mexico City makes 10X more sense. Huge population. Existing large venues and more to the point an existing American football interest. They have a professional league in Mexico now.
Old 10-25-2013   #13
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63030 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the travel thing is seriously overblown. There are five time zones between New York and London -- compared to three between New York and LA. It's an 11 hour round trip flight from New York to San Diego but no one screams that players won't be able to make the flight. They play one game a week for crying out loud. Just have a permanent practice camp for visiting teams and fly them into or out of England on Tuesday or something. I find it hard to believe that athletes in their 20s can't handle the strain of a five hour time change 8 times a year after four days to adjust. Musicians, Actors, and other entertainers can handle it. Other athletes can handle it. Businessmen and politicians can handle it.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #14
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
I think the travel thing is seriously overblown. There are five time zones between New York and London -- compared to three between New York and LA. It's an 11 hour round trip flight from New York to San Diego but no one screams that players won't be able to make the flight. They play one game a week for crying out loud. Just have a permanent practice camp for visiting teams and fly them into or out of England on Tuesday or something. I find it hard to believe that athletes in their 20s can't handle the strain of a five hour time change 8 times a year after four days to adjust. Musicians, Actors, and other entertainers can handle it. Other athletes can handle it. Businessmen and politicians can handle it.
It's not that they can't handle it, but it sure puts you at a competitive disadvantage against teams in your division who didn't have to travel.
Old 10-25-2013   #15
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think we are a loooong way away from having a team actually based in London. It's one thing to sell out 3 games with various opponents and having to sell out 8 of potentially crappy team + preseason. Playoffs shouldn't be a problem I'm assuming.

Also, I don't think Fulham and London Jags would ever be able to share a stadium. Fulham is a smaller club that probably wouldn't be able to draw over 40K fans for even the bigger matches (Fulham fans, don't kick me too hard, all I'm saying is that Fulham isn't Arsenal, MU, or even Tottenham). EPL clubs don't like to play in front of big half empty stadiums any more than the NFL does. And a 40K seat stadium is not enough for a successful NFL franchise. In addition to that, the field would not be able to recover from the football game to the next soccer game on a regular basis.

So, I think there are a lot of logistics to figure out just in London, that's before we get to schedule, travel, etc, etc. I'd say 10 years at the earliest for the possible move.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #16
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Musicians and actors often travel several DAYS before a show. That gives them time to adjust. Businessmen also build in two or three days to adjust to jet lag.

Football players put their bodies on the line. This is a physical sport. Flying in and out of the United Kingdom is not going to work if you have to turn around, take ANOTHER long flight, and then get home, rest, and preparing for the following weeks game.

Also, because of the jet stream, flights FROM the Europe TO the United States are often a few hours long. Houston to Paris, for example, is 8 hours. Paris to Houston, by contrast, is 11 hours.

Also, regarding flying NY to San Diego: when you do that you are gaining 3 hours. And players aren't in San Diego long enough to adjust to the time difference, so jet lag is not as much a factor.

When you fly to Europe, however, you are losing 6 or 7 hours. That's why most flights to Europe leave the US at night: so they can arrive in England first thing in the morning (and, so they can allow US passengers to connect on later outbound flights).

A team in London will never happen.
Old 10-25-2013   #17
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think there are 29 other teams in the league that will have a vote on that. It might not be ideal for those in their division, but for the league itself, it will mean more revenue. Certainly a lot more than what Jacksonville has ever been worth.
Bob McNair, Jim Isray and the next Titans own will not let that happen. Such a move would mean THEIR players and staff would have brutal travel schedules. Nope. Won't happen.

And: Jerry Jones is the Big Dog in the NFL. What he says goes. McNair is in good with Jones, and would simply tell Jerry to lobby against such a move.
Old 10-25-2013   #18
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree that the travel thing isn't a big deal. The game is still played at noon central time (I'm guessing that's the only acceptable time slot for games in London). If you don't try to adjust to the local time, leave your body clock on your own time zone, then it's just like a noon game with a long flight.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #19
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63030 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Musicians and actors often travel several DAYS before a show. That gives them time to adjust. Businessmen also build in two or three days to adjust to jet lag.

Football players put their bodies on the line. This is a physical sport. Flying in and out of the United Kingdom is not going to work if you have to turn around, take ANOTHER long flight, and then get home, rest, and preparing for the following weeks game.

Also, because of the jet stream, flights FROM the Europe TO the United States are often a few hours long. Houston to Paris, for example, is 8 hours. Paris to Houston, by contrast, is 11 hours.

Also, regarding flying NY to San Diego: when you do that you are gaining 3 hours. And players aren't in San Diego long enough to adjust to the time difference, so jet lag is not as much a factor.

When you fly to Europe, however, you are losing 6 or 7 hours. That's why most flights to Europe leave the US at night: so they can arrive in England first thing in the morning (and, so they can allow US passengers to connect on later outbound flights).

A team in London will never happen.
Umm football players would travel several days before a game too. Eight times a year. Maybe 32 or 40 nights in a hotel room a year -- depending on whether they spend four or five nights per game on the road as the visiting team. The horror!

They said the same thing about MLB on the West Coast in the 50's. It was unreasonable because teams couldn't travel cross country for games. A train ride in 1957 from Philadelphia to San Francisco was a hell of a lot longer and less comfortable than a plane ride across the Atlantic today.
Old 10-25-2013   #20
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
It's not that they can't handle it, but it sure puts you at a competitive disadvantage against teams in your division who didn't have to travel.
But you also gain a home field advantage when teams travel to you.

What the heck is wrong with having a home field advantage anyway?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read