Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-23-2013   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans compensatory picks 2014.

Work it, Dutch, work it; you're one of the few experts we have on this matter.

I defer to you guys.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #22
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

@DR, where does Joe Mays fit into all this?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #23
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
@DR, where does Joe Mays fit into all this?
He was signed Jul 29, 2013, which is well after the June 1st cutoff date for compensatory picks. Anything that happens after June 1st does not effect compensatory picks, no matter how big the contract.
Old 10-24-2013   #24
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: Texans compensatory picks 2014.

Are we going to lose a pick for getting rid of Quin, as compensation to the other teams?
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #25
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
...I think we end up with two 5ths for Quin and Casey, and a 7th for Jones. So 3 compensatory picks should be coming our way to help the new regime right the ship. Not too shabby. All done.
Thanks, repped.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #26
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take the under on 3 comp picks. The year before we only got 2 comp picks and we lost a lot more players and signed fewer. I also think Dutch projected 3-4 comp picks for the last draft where we got 2 as well, but I know it's all a guess as there's no formula that anyone actually knows.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #27
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I'll take the under on 3 comp picks. The year before we only got 2 comp picks and we lost a lot more players and signed fewer. I also think Dutch projected 3-4 comp picks for the last draft where we got 2 as well, but I know it's all a guess as there's no formula that anyone actually knows.
Yeah, the difference was that last year we signed a couple guys to minimum deals, but gave them signing bonuses of 65k (Bradie James and Alan Ball). I rated them as not impacting the compensatory picks due to minimum salary, when in reality the NFL sees any signing bonus compensation as no longer being a minimum deal. The NFL counted them as 7ths, which is what took away 2 of the picks I projected. Now we know, and knowing is half the battle!

It's not an exact science, since we don't have the salary structure and rules from the NFL's secret formula, but we can get more accurate over time by using the previous year's numbers to project next year's. Snap counts can also figure into this, but it seems like things are OK so far. Alan Ball is starting at CB for Jax, Forsett is playing about 15% of the snaps for Jax, Donnie Jones is punting for Philly, Barwin and Quin are starters, James Casey is playing some offense and STs. So I'm pretty confident in these projections now, but it could change a little by the end of the year if someone loses their job.

You can check snap counts here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts
Old 10-24-2013   #28
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yeah, the difference was that last year we signed a couple guys to minimum deals, but gave them signing bonuses of 65k (Bradie James and Alan Ball). I rated them as not impacting the compensatory picks due to minimum salary, when in reality the NFL sees any signing bonus compensation as no longer being a minimum deal. The NFL counted them as 7ths, which is what took away 2 of the picks I projected. Now we know, and knowing is half the battle!

It's not an exact science, since we don't have the salary structure and rules from the NFL's secret formula, but we can get more accurate over time by using the previous year's numbers to project next year's. Snap counts can also figure into this, but it seems like things are OK so far. Alan Ball is starting at CB for Jax, Forsett is playing about 15% of the snaps for Jax, Donnie Jones is punting for Philly, Barwin and Quin are starters, James Casey is playing some offense and STs. So I'm pretty confident in these projections now, but it could change a little by the end of the year if someone loses their job.

You can check snap counts here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts
True, I hope you don't feel like I was putting you on blast I just don't see how we were all that impacted by having our free agents taken away. But I hope you're right and I am wrong and I of course value your opinion on this which is why I summoned you to this thread since you were on sabbatical when this was originally written.
Old 10-24-2013   #29
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 32907 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I long for last year when we weren't talking draft until like Feb-Mar,*sigh*......
Old 10-24-2013   #30
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I long for last year when we weren't talking draft until like Feb-Mar,*sigh*......
Yep...no matter how overrated or how much a pretender we were last year way more fun than compensatory pick talk before Halloween.
Old 10-25-2013   #31
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope we have a new regime making picks next spring.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #32
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
I hope we have a new regime making picks next spring.
Be careful what you wish for. Sometimes the grass isn't so green on the other side!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #33
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8871 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Sometimes the grass isn't so green on the other side!
So you are saying our grass is green????

I think it is burnt and dead.

I will take a chance on the other side.

At least there is HOPE.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #34
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/r...ojections.html

1st attempt at this stuff that I have found..
Old 02-08-2014   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

so two 5s and a 7th.
Old 02-08-2014   #36
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

How are we going to get a 5th as a comp pick for Quin and keep it even though we signed Reed? I guarantee we arent getting that much, then again I don't know for sure and it's a total guess.
Old 02-08-2014   #37
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
How are we going to get a 5th as a comp pick for Quin and keep it even though we signed Reed? I guarantee we arent getting that much, then again I don't know for sure and it's a total guess.
Reeds and caseys salarys are near equal. Plus reed being cut and being old factoer into the equation from what I understand
Old 02-08-2014   #38
JRingo
Rookie

Rep Power: 1978 JRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
True, I hope you don't feel like I was putting you on blast I just don't see how we were all that impacted by having our free agents taken away. But I hope you're right and I am wrong and I of course value your opinion on this which is why I summoned you to this thread since you were on sabbatical when this was originally written.
Good post here Sir.
JRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #39
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

a didn't they use on of those picks but then in turn fired him for smoking a cigar in a bathroom LOL BUST PICK on da Texans
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #40
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year we were eligible for 4 compensatory picks but only got 2, so I'm doubtful that we get two 5th and one 7th round picks. If we did get 3 comp. picks then we could really use our own picks to trade up for an extra 3rd and/or 4th round picks. There will be some good value prospects in those rounds. With as many holes as this team has though, I'll be very happy if we get one 5th. And hopefully we don't waste these pick(s) like we did last year.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read