Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-23-2013   #61
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63941 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Texans' QB Case Keenum earns Chiefs' respect with Poise, Big Plays"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Company line aside, it's just not human nature to want to keep an obvious weak link that is hurting the cause.
Look no further than the Seattle game.

With Schaub, many players believe the season is done. With Keenum, there's a shred of hope.

I remember a point that Texans Chick made a while back: For an organization to maximize its potential, everyone from the owner to the player has to be on board with the team philosophy. If a single player isn't buying into it, that player is a weak link. I believe that also happens when a player doesn't buy into the quarterback.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #62
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: "Texans' QB Case Keenum earns Chiefs' respect with Poise, Big Plays"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I remember a point that Texans Chick made a while back: For an organization to maximize its potential, everyone from the owner to the player has to be on board with the team philosophy. If a single player isn't buying into it, that player is a weak link. I believe that also happens when a player doesn't buy into the quarterback.
I recall her not buying into our current QB. She's not commented on him since his start in KC, near as I can tell.
Old 10-23-2013   #63
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I recall her not buying into our current QB. She's not commented on him since his start in KC, near as I can tell.
I think she said she wasn't surprised by the game he had, but it's strange because before the season she said in camp he didn't do anything special.

She was pissed when the article about case grabbing an early edge came out.

Last edited by Rey; 10-24-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

October 21,

Keenum versus Schaub is the popular but wrong conversation
Quote:
Local sports talk radio over this week, and the off week will likely focus on the quarterback position for the Houston Texans.

This makes some sense. Case Keenum in his debut, spread the ball around, extended plays, kept the Texans in the game and was extremely composed, not just for his first regular season game, but for any quarterback against a very good defense on the road. An exciting debut in a loss.

He took many of downfield shots, connected for a TD in the end zone, had the potential for a number of additional great plays. He was able to function without Arian Foster for most of the game, an injured Ben Tate and with poor field positions at times. It was fun to watch until it decidedly wasn’t. (A tiny favor from the betting gods that the fumble sack was inches from being a touchdown).

Case Keenum cross-talk.

It’s difficult to talk about Case Keenum in this town. Because opinions range from reasonable to exaggerated with any local sports hero. When I analyze all players, I look at their pluses and minuses, and for some, if you mention any minuses that means you are a hater.

Personally, I want all the Texans players to succeed, to be put in positions to succeed and to get wins. Whatever the name is on the jersey and whatever school they went to college.
Quote:
Keenum v. Schaub.

The talk over the next couple weeks prior to the Colts game will likely be Keenum v. Schaub. It’s not the conversation I find particularly engaging because (and I say this painfully), it’s like debating who is going to captain the Titanic after it has already hit the iceberg.

We think of Keenum’s performance rightfully as an admirable one. But also one where he got sacked five times. Quarterbacking the 2013 Texans is no longer about playoff expectations, it is about survival.
Old 10-24-2013   #65
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Something doesn't jive with her knocks on Keenum..

It's understandable to be skeptical about him last year, or
during the preseason -- but at this point he's the best thing
we have to roll out in the QB position.

I'd wager "TexansChick" is a Texas alumna who has a latent
hate for all of the local hero love Keenum gets and is probably
bitter that VY never got his turn in a Texans uni.

Just my "freud-ish" take on it..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #66
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post

TJ
If anything I'd bet she was an Aggie.

I don't think she was in favor of drafting Young though..... she'd have taken Young over Reggie Bush, I would too, but she was "real" about the situation & knew the Texans were going to stick with Carr.
Old 10-24-2013   #67
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I disagree with her take.. while it's true this isn't "Schaub vs Keenum", it is past vs possible future, as in who can possibly be the future "captain" of this team. The fact that the titanic already has hit the iceberg is irrelevent as Keenum wasn't at the wheel when it hit.. we need to find out if he's capable of navigating the next ship through icy waters and this is a conversation i find very engaging, because the future of our team depends on finding that guy. The season might be "over", but there's still things that need to be done, like player evaluation and it's important we get it right.

I also don't see how people can criticize Keenum for 5 sacks when the chiefs do that to everybody and it didn't start happening to the kid until his running threat all, but disapeared and the chiefs were free to pin their ears back.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 10-24-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #68
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

She's human. She was one that had strong keenum/Matt takes so she's no different than anyone else. We all try to not be biased, but inevitably there's going to be a little somewhere when you have strong takes on things.
Old 10-24-2013   #69
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Why are we picking on TexansChick? Everybody's got an opinion around here, and they sure as hell aren't all the same. I think she's a great sports writer. Doesn't mean I always agree with her, but I almost always enjoy her posts.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #70
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Why are we picking on TexansChick? Everybody's got an opinion around here, and they sure as hell aren't all the same. I think she's a great sports writer. Doesn't mean I always agree with her, but I almost always enjoy her posts.
I'm not picking on her, I just said I don't agree with this take... there's been plenty others I have agreed with though.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #71
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree just based on how the team played with Keenum under center.

Even though they lost, it appeared to me that they were playing with a passion that we have not seen in the first 6 games, comeback wins included.

Nobody can tell me that they "believe" in a gimpy QB that just set an NFL record with pick 6's. Company line aside, it's just not human nature to want to keep an obvious weak link that is hurting the cause.
I think AJ about had a heart attack when he was hit in FULL STRIDE without having to slow down on the ball last Sunday. I for one am sick of all the sit down routes and come backs that Schaub seemingly has to have to be successful. The heart of the wco is hitting guys in stride....not a Schaub strength.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #72
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think AJ about had a heart attack when he was hit in FULL STRIDE without having to slow down on the ball last Sunday. I for one am sick of all the sit down routes and come backs that Schaub seemingly has to have to be successful. The heart of the wco is hitting guys in stride....not a Schaub strength.
Kubiak said that on the long aj reception it was supposed to be a three step drop. He said keenum didn't like his initial read and so he started moving around. Dre stuck his hand up to say he was breaking off and going deep...case found him.

I think there were several things that happened on that play that aj wasn't used to....LOL.

I can't remember the last time aj got to break a route off, go deep and get hit on the money.
Old 10-24-2013   #73
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63941 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I also don't see how people can criticize Keenum for 5 sacks when the chiefs do that to everybody and it didn't start happening to the kid until his running threat all, but disapeared and the chiefs were free to pin their ears back.
Keenum had the highest QB rating in that stadium this season. That defense pinned 10 sacks on a "duel threat" QB the week before. If Kubiak goes with Schaub for the Indy game, he will lose any remaining support from the fanbase. Even if Schaub wins. The fans were already dissatisfied with Schaub's ceiling, but this year they've had the unfortunate experience of witnessing a worse attribute: the depth of his floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Kubiak said that on the long aj reception it was supposed to be a three step drop. He said keenum didn't like his initial read and so he started moving around. Dre stuck his hand up to say he was breaking off and going deep...case found him.

I think there were several things that happened on that play that aj wasn't used to....LOL.

I can't remember the last time aj got to break a route off, go deep and get hit on the money.
I bet it's the most fun AJ has had in a long time. If we can't get AJ a ring, we should at least get him a QB that enables him to enjoy the game.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #74
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 36225 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
....I bet it's the most fun AJ has had in a long time. If we can't get AJ a ring, we should at least get him a QB that enables him to enjoy the game.
It did seem like AJ was having some fun out there. Seem to recall more positive emotion and a few smiles on his face during the game.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #75
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

TJ
I have accused Texans Chick of being too "pro-Kubiak" (even though I do think she's very, very smart).

In this piece, however, I agree with her. If you read the whole thing, she was saying that we need to take a step back and look at the "big picture" of the future of this team, and - if you do that - things look grim.

Yes, we're all into the Keenum love this week. But, taking a step back and looking at the overall team, things look pretty rough. If we don't make the playoffs this year, we will have to make hard decisions about our coach and GM, AND, we will likely have to let several players walk, AND - and here's the big one - we're right up against the salary cap and will be for the next few years.

So her point was, we have to win NOW. If we don't win now, which doesn't look like it's going to happen, we are screwed - regardless of who we have under center.

Keeping Kubiak after 2010 was a grave, massive mistake that has backed this team into a corner.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #76
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think people are going to be very disappointed and the only "big" change will be at QB.
Old 10-25-2013   #77
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

TJ
Texans chick is one the 5-10 most consistently objective posters on this board. Unlike you she would have never made a lazy she's a Horn so she does not like Keenum post.
Old 10-25-2013   #78
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
...we need to find out if he's capable of navigating the next ship through icy waters...
That's basically what Texans Chick said. She admitted that Schaub was done, which surprised me coming from her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
If we don't make the playoffs this year, we will have to make hard decisions about our coach and GM...
And what really surprised me was that she openly questioned whether Smithiak should be brought back. The "right conversation" is whether McNair stays status quo or goes a new direction. If a new organization is brought in, they may bring in their QB, and the Keenum experiment is moot.
Old 10-25-2013   #79
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 55186 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

If Schaub gets sacked four times in the fourth quarter while only getting one first down, irregardless of the RB situation, in a one point loss where the defense allowed only 17 points... he would be crucified.

Keenum does it and he is hailed as having an amazing game and crowned the franchise QB of the future. Lots of leniency being given to Case with the RB injuries, the KC crowd, the KC defense being able to go off on the passing game, etc.

In the end it was still a loss, with multiple opportunities in a close game that were not realized. Twice got inside the 30 and settled for FG's. Once got down to the 3 yard line and settled for a FG. Negative yards in the fourth quarter.

Moral victories don't count, and he didn't get it done any more than Schaub has been getting it done. Nice stats, and some decent long throws and footwork, so we all feel good about the same result with a different QB.

I remember when everyone here thought that TJ was going to push Schaub for the starting job last year. Now it's all about Case. The franchise QB for the Texans is not on this roster, we just want to believe he is so that we can move away from Schaub. That, and the Cougar homerism. IMHO, none of our three current QB's will be the starting QB next season.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #80
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
IMHO, none of our three current QB's will be the starting QB next season.
Then lets let Keenum start a few more times to prove that correct. Right now we know Schaub and Yates aren't, but Keenum has yet to absolutely prove that point either way.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read