Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who gets the start at QB after the buy?
Keenum 162 88.52%
Schaub 21 11.48%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2013   #261
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who gets the start at QB after the bye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Really? If 2nd and 10, on your own 10 yard line, with 1:41 on the clock, no time outs, trailing by 1 on the road with a rookie QB at the helm is not desperate times, then nothing is. The game was on the line, it was desperation time, and it needed a calm, quick thinking experienced QB to make the right decision, and that is throw it away, not get cute on your own goal line.
The attempt to throw the ball is more risky as I have described above.

The option is to run toward the sideline; there was a lot of green space there as the defense was double-teaming on AJ way down the field.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #262
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Look at the front view from the coaches film; there wasn't a chance that Keenum can even raise his arm to throw the ball away.

He would have been dead duck.
Old 10-23-2013   #263
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 34626 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Nitro, at that time Keenum was on the retreat and he got out of the pocket within 3 seconds.

Graham was bumped hard by his defender; he can't clear it in time.

Tate never got open until late; he was being double-teamed.

Keenum cannot extend his arm to throw the ball anyway.
The RDE would have gotten to the ball.
He never retreated. He dropped back, surveyed, slide left and tried to run. By then it was too late. You do not waste precious time trying to run to the sideline when you can throw it there three times faster. By your logic QB's should never throw it because there is a pass rush and it might get batted down. All of the defenders were engaged and not likely to bat anything down.

In the first image I posted, you can see nobody is within 3-5 yards of Keenum and he has plenty of room to extend his arm to throw it away bro. Come on now, you are grasping at straws to show your boy was not at fault when it is clear he was. Regardless of how long we argue this, people will believe whatever they want, regardless of evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The attempt to throw the ball is more risky as I have described above.

The option is to run toward the sideline; there was a lot of green space there as the defense was double-teaming on AJ way down the field.
I disagree with you, and as I said above "By your logic QB's should never throw it because there is a pass rush and it might get batted down." You can throw to the sideline much faster than you can run there and time was precious.

Let's just agree to disagree.

"Keenum has an aura about him". -Andre Johnson
"She did a Mean Macarena to the Funky Cold Medina" -S. Hagar
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #264
Ghostform
Veteran

Rep Power: 7329 Ghostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets calm down ESPN custodians. I watch 25 hours of football a day 8 days a week and i think Schaub will throw a pick six when we play the bye week and Kubiak will be forced to play Keenum against the Colts.
Ghostform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #265
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He never retreated. He dropped back, surveyed, slide left and tried to run. By then it was too late. You do not waste precious time trying to run to the sideline when you can throw it there three times faster. By your logic QB's should never throw it because there is a pass rush and it might get batted down. All of the defenders were engaged and not likely to bat anything down.

In the first image I posted, you can see nobody is within 3-5 yards of Keenum and he has plenty of room to extend his arm to throw it away bro. Come on now, you are grasping at straws to show your boy was not at fault when it is clear he was. Regardless of how long we argue this, people will believe whatever they want, regardless of evidence.

I disagree with you, and as I said above "By your logic QB's should never throw it because there is a pass rush and it might get batted down." You can throw to the sideline much faster than you can run there and time was precious.

Let's just agree to disagree.
Let's take time to digest this.
I've been known to watch a play over a hundred of times, not consecutively.
That doesn't help much.

Instead, I would take time off, and rewatch it from different angles and approaches.
I can come back to the same play a few days later, a week later, a month later, in the off-season.

At this time, I see no possible way that Keenum can get the pass off unless the play calls for him to just throw the ball right away as he takes the snap, or shortly thereafter.

The route pattern was such that the QB has got to be protected up the middle. He should not have to throw the ball away against a 3-man pass rush under 2 second.
Old 10-23-2013   #266
76Texan
Hall of Fame

It was not a situation where there was a blitz that calls for the QB to either go to the hot receiver in a second or a second and a half, or to throw the ball away, or to take a sack.

Like you said, it was a 3-man pass rush.
Old 10-23-2013   #267
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
He looked pretty dang good with Bledsoe before his injury. Don't rewrite history. He wasn't always a great HC, but he always did his best for the team, regardless of position.

Belichick was 5-11 with Bledsoe the prior season (his first season with the Patriots).

Oops, was mentioned already.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #268
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 34626 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm fairly certain this is illegal contact, or defensive holding at least, but I guess the home team is afforded some slack in most cases, but still. If the flag was thrown we most likely would not be having this discussion.

Old 10-23-2013   #269
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

The more things change...

The last time I remember a bye week that included a lot of "self-study" by Kubiak about a position was in 2009. The position was running back. I found an old post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
As I posted and linked in another thread, Kubiak said they used the bye week to self-study. That self-study led them to the conclusion to make Chris Brown the feature back.

Is that the bye week prep you are looking for?
Ah Kubiak. What will you do four years later?
Old 10-23-2013   #270
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 77891 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm fairly certain this is illegal contact, or defensive holding at least, but I guess the home team is afforded some slack in most cases, but still. If the flag was thrown we most likely would not be having this discussion.

Or if we could actually get the ball in the endzone when we had 1st and goal at the 1
Old 10-23-2013   #271
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 112052 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Could be that our guy is about to cut right and leans into the DB before he pushes off. Still shots don't do a good job of telling some stories.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #272
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Matt's our quaterback"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I have to hope this is just coach speak and not indicative of a really stupid decision.
I think that's all it is. Make 'em prepare for the unknown splitting practice time preparing for both.

Only chance we have is with #7. I fear my man Matty's toast and has been since, oh say, the ass whippin' in Foxboro last season. He won't be back next season and should be rested peacefully the remainder of this season.

And I don't even like Schaub. Was that a digg at TK? Naa, no way.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #273
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Only chance we have is with #7. I fear my man Matty's toast and has been since, oh say, the ass whippin' in Foxboro last season. He won't be back next season and should be rested peacefully the remainder of this season.
It's odd that also coincides with the shell of a defense we've been staring at over that same time period. Arian & the run game & the Special teams are the only areas to truly improve since then. Special teams cleaned up the penalties.

We don't need our defense to play good enough to win, we need them to dominate to take pressure off Keenum.
Old 10-23-2013   #274
msbbc833
Veteran

Rep Power: 577 msbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I think that's all it is. Make 'em prepare for the unknown splitting practice time preparing for both.

And I don't even like Schaub. Was that a digg at TK? Naa, no way.
Done since Foxboro??? I knew he was done during the Bengals game
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h.../Hall-pick-six

If you count that game, Matt has thrown a pick six in 7 of the last 8 games (counting first play against SD as a pick 6, which it essentially was). Also not surprised that the pick 6 came on a pass to the TE.

It was so nice to not have to throw these dump off 7 yd passes to our TEs with Keenum playing because he can actually extend plays.
msbbc833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #275
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44848 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

He was done the Vikings game...
Old 10-23-2013   #276
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Or if we could actually get the ball in the endzone when we had 1st and goal at the 1
Yea no kidding. Watching them kick that FG was frustrating, and demoralizing, but could have been worse to go for it and fail. That would have surely energized that KC D and taken the air completely out of the Texans, so probably the right decision. Texans had several chances to win the game, they just failed to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Could be that our guy is about to cut right and leans into the DB before he pushes off. Still shots don't do a good job of telling some stories.
True, but we all know on that play he was breaking left across the field as it shows in the other image, and the DB held him which is illegal contact or holding. Not trying to make excuses, the proper play IMO was to throw the ball away at that moment and live to run another play.

Old 10-23-2013   #277
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 62838 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yea no kidding. Watching them kick that FG was frustrating, and demoralizing, but could have been worse to go for it and fail. That would have surely energized that KC D and taken the air completely out of the Texans, so probably the right decision. Texans had several chances to win the game, they just failed to do it.

True, but we all know on that play he was breaking left across the field as it shows in the other image, and the DB held him which is illegal contact or holding. Not trying to make excuses, the proper play IMO was to throw the ball away at that moment and live to run another play.
I wondered why we didn't do a QB bootleg and if Case had nothing to throw to then just run it in
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #278
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I wondered why we didn't do a QB bootleg and if Case had nothing to throw to then just run it in
IMO Kubiak has for the most part canned that play, because if you watch the last 4 games the Texans have played, the DE or LB is not crashing down the line on the play fake, they have been instructed to ignore that and go after the QB. You can see the DE or LB with his eyes directly on the QB, not even looking at the run action, even when the Texans were running the ball well.

It was the bread and butter of the Texans long play capability, and so teams decided to focus on stopping that play and basically dare the Texans to run it 30 or 40 times a game.

Old 10-23-2013   #279
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 25876 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I'm guessing it's because our running backs were beat up, and KC wouldn't have respected the run threat.
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #280
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 25128 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfoBxxoWQqs

Hey y'all, remember this? It seems so strange. Where we were. Where we are now. A 5 game win streak. A 5 game losing streak.

There are so many little asides and gestures in this video that it's telling of our franchise as a whole.

It just makes me think more and more that this town is due for a Cinderella story.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read