Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-23-2013   #41
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 19952 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would You Want to See AJ Get Traded?

This has to be the most absurd thing I've ever seen on Texanstalk and I've even spent time in the no spin zone!
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #42
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

The Packers and Seahawks are the only contenders that have a lot of capspace and need a WR. I could see either of them making a play for AJ if he were available, but the 12 million or so in dead money makes it nearly impossible for the Texans to do. They would also need to move Antonio Smith and Wade Smith to get even close to staying under the cap. Although, I would love to see what AJ looks like with Aaron Rodgers throwing to him...
Old 10-23-2013   #43
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
The sense I'm getting is that Andre had some kind of selfish agenda to accept a longer term deal, and I won't cast that light on him. The team asked him to help them out, if it didn't benefit the team then why go through with it in the first place? Andre Johnson is a class act, and he will always do what's best for the team first. Did it benefit him? Sure it did. Did it benefit the team? Most certainly. Why would it behoove him not to take a bonus and alleviatec cap space? Good question, but it didn't only benefit Andre.

Maybe yourself, or someone with a firm understanding of cap management/finance could explain it to a blue collar guy like myself, what would be the benefit of dragging out the pay longer vs short term lump sum? Almost like the lottery? Do you get more up front in a cash payout vs interest over X amount of years?

If you need metal parts cut to a tolerance of .001 I'm your guy, finance not so much.

money in your hand now is better than a promise going forward for the player, accounting it for more years is better for the team
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #44
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

He's had several opportunities to bail if he wanted to. He chose to stay, so he'll stay
Old 10-23-2013   #45
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see AJ retire a Texan, never tainted by another team's uniform.

And I get the feeling he feels the same way, judging by his words and, more importantly, his actions.

There are many HoF caliber players who never get a ring or even a chance to play the big game. It's a damn shame, but it's a team sport.

Teams can be built virtually overnight with the right coaching staff, especially one with solid talent in many areas like the Texans right now.

But AJ needs a great QB to take him to the promised land. Schaub is not it, so hopefully this team can figure it out before he wears out.
Old 10-23-2013   #46
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64147 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ will retire a Texan, get his number retired, and get his statue.

He unfortunately will never get a ring.
kingtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #47
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
AJ will retire a Texan, get his number retired, and get his statue.

He unfortunately will never get a ring.
Not as a player, but I could see him being signed on as a WR coach in the future. He seems like the kind of guy who would continue to keep working in the NFL in the future, and I'm sure the Texans organization would love to have him in some capacity.
Old 10-23-2013   #48
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Doesn't matter what he wants .... It makes no sense for the team to trade #80 , no return on the investment and a massive cap hit.

The idea of giving AJ an opportunity with a contender is nice and all .... Its just not realistic.

/lock thread.
Wait, what!?!
Did you just say that Andre Johnson hasn't given this team any return on it's investment in him? That's kinda what "no" means in this context. None. Not any. Zero.
Is that your message??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #49
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Wait, what!?!
Did you just say that Andre Johnson hasn't given this team any return on it's investment in him? That's kinda what "no" means in this context. None. Not any. Zero.
Is that your message??

I think he is saying you wouldnt get anything in trade now or what you got wouldnt be any better for the team than AJ is now so net zero
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #50
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
I think he is saying you wouldnt get anything in trade now or what you got wouldnt be any better for the team than AJ is now so net zero
hmmm... okay there's some logic in that.

And for the record, I don't want to see A.J. in any other uni either. But if he asked Uncle Bob to leave - and he's the kind that would do it on the down low - Uncle Bob would task Rick Smith to make it happen.

No one would be very happy about it.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #51
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
When did the Texans become a charity? A 3rd rounder is absurd. I frankly don't care if AJ gets a SB ring unless it is with the Texans. And most importantly it would kill the Texans' cap with dead money.
This!
Old 10-23-2013   #52
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

aj isn't going anywhere. He is our Ernie Banks.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #53
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
even if it means he gets a ring?

Him getting traded from the Texans does not guarantee a ring. Look at Tony Gonzales.
Old 10-23-2013   #54
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, the comment " I don't care if he gets a ring unless its with the Texas" is uber selfish and I can't agree with it whatsoever.

I hope Dre gets his ring before retirement, with or without the Texans. He deserves it.
Old 10-23-2013   #55
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ave 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
man im starting to think about it. i wish we keep him, but i think he deserves a chance with a contender.
would like to see him with brady.

possibly frees up money, maybe gets us a 3rd rder and AJ gets to make a deep playoff run the next 2 years.

i know its not gunna happen, but id like to see it. guy is a hf that deserves better than this.
No player dessrves the chane to get a ring. Dude has been well compensated. Tbe fact is that he rathered getting sure thing money than finder a better team.
Old 10-23-2013   #56
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
When did the Texans become a charity? A 3rd rounder is absurd. I frankly don't care if AJ gets a SB ring unless it is with the Texans. And most importantly it would kill the Texans' cap with dead money.
Agreed. I have a deep respect for AJ but it will do nothing for me personally if he leaves and gets a ring.

He needs to stay and retire a Texan.
Old 10-23-2013   #57
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow, the comment " I don't care if he gets a ring unless its with the Texas" is uber selfish and I can't agree with it whatsoever.

I hope Dre gets his ring before retirement, with or without the Texans. He deserves it.
If he gets a ring with another team, fine, but I won't give a crap about that. What I care about is the Texans. The Team. While I do admire individual players on The Team quite a bit, if they leave and go play for another team, they are now The Enemy.

Texans as a team first, loyalty to individual players second. Sorry, I can't go along with your "selfish" remark. It just seems silly to me.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #58
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If he gets a ring with another team, fine, but I won't give a crap about that. What I care about is the Texans. The Team. While I do admire individual players on The Team quite a bit, if they leave and go play for another team, they are now The Enemy.

Texans as a team first, loyalty to individual players second. Sorry, I can't go along with your "selfish" remark. It just seems silly to me.
100% agree. Good post Thorn. Sorry - MSR.
Old 10-23-2013   #59
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Fans - short for fanatic - are supposed to be selfish about their team. Undying loyalty and allegiance will cause that in a person.

So go ahead and root for the individual player. The rest of us will continue to root for the team.
Old 10-23-2013   #60
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The Ravens only got a 6th for Bouldin who's cap hit is close to what AJ's will be next year .... I think they are comparable players at this point in their careers..
That sounds like some dumb crap TK would say.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read