Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who gets the start at QB after the buy?
Keenum 162 88.52%
Schaub 21 11.48%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2013   #201
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Who gets the start at QB after the bye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
They're off.

I heard on the radio today, the Texans had a light practice, then were let go until next Tuesday.
I was meaning in Kubiak's backyard or something. Geez, Louise.
No.... I'm upset about it. One good part about the bye is that it allows some of the guys to get healthy, but I also thought it would be a good time to get Case some 1st team snaps. Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday.... wasted by giving the team the week off.
Old 10-22-2013   #202
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Getting Schaub into the backup role gracefully seems to be the biggest sticking point. Kubiak and Schaub have a lot of history and respect for each other. It's all gonna be about saving face. But I do believe it will happen or Kubiak will be a players coach with no players.
I think there's enough respect between the two that Matt as the back-up wouldn't be an issue. I think it's sticky right now, because Kubiak doesn't want him on the sideline. It's just a feeling, but I think Kubiak would have named Keenum the starter by now if the plan was to make Matt the back-up.

I don't know why he wouldn't want Matt on the sideline. If we started the season thinking Matt could win a Super Bowl, then we spend 4 games trying to get Matt out of his funk, the next step would be to have Matt wait for his opportunity as the #2.

Even if the original plan was to transition to Keenum by 2014, letting Matt be the #2 & being possibly getting an opportunity to redeem himself & get a job next season, makes perfect sense. & I like Tj, but I'd rather take a chance with Matt coming in to save the day (if needed) than Tj.
Old 10-22-2013   #203
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Getting Schaub into the backup role gracefully seems to be the biggest sticking point. Kubiak and Schaub have a lot of history and respect for each other. It's all gonna be about saving face. But I do believe it will happen or Kubiak will be a players coach with no players.
Well, Bledsoe was in his ninth year with the Patriots when he got hurt in game two.

When he came back, Belichik decided to stick with Brady even though Tom didn't really light it up. Brady TD/INT ration was 18/12 that year, hardly great. He even had a 4-INT game in week 6.

And it wasn't like Bledsoe was done; he went on to start for the Bills the next three years, and for the Cowboys another year and a half.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #204
Nitrofish
FSM Rules!

Rep Power: 57899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
If Kubiak bases the decision on performance, probably won't, he will go with Keenum. He was better in every aspect of QB play. The biggest difference is his ability to extend a play and make a throw on the run/outside the pocket. This is especially important when you got our sorry a$$ RT Newton out there. He got beat so damn bad a couple of times all he could do is watch the OLB harrass the QB, horrible.
Yea man.. I especially liked the last offensive play that Keenum made when he was showing off his mobility, pocket awareness, and throw on the run skills. Whooohooo! Go Keenum! Nothing like a sack/fumble near your goal line to end any chance you have to drive down the field and kick the game winning FG to showcase those awesome attributes eh? Nothing says mobility better than not being able to outrun a 275 pound man. Go Keenum Go!

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #205
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Well, Bledsoe was in his ninth year with the Patriots when he got hurt in game two.

When he came back, Belichik decided to stick with Brady even though Tom didn't really light it up. Brady TD/INT ration was 18/12 that year, hardly great. He even had a 4-INT game in week 6.

And it wasn't like Bledsoe was done; he went on to start for the Bills the next three years, and for the Cowboys another year and a half.
July 20, 2009 5:33 pm

Former Patriots quarterback Drew Bledsoe was a guest on Phoenix sports radio station KTAR last week, and spoke for one of the first times about his feelings on losing his job to Tom Brady after the devastating 2001 hit from the Jets' Mo Lewis that landed him in the hospital for several days.

"You know, I think that when you're young and you come in and have some success, you think you're bulletproof to an extent. But you find out fairly quickly that football is a replacement business and that no matter what it is that you've done, you're as good as your last play. And then to have all of that going on where I couldn't get my job back and this other kid was in there playing, begrudgingly now I can say he was playing awfully well and has gone on to play very well.
"But you know, there was some soul searching going on just to figure out how I was going to handle that whole thing. But you know, I swallowed my pride and showed up for work and got ready to play every week."
Bledsoe goes on to talk about the excitement he felt getting to play in the AFC Championship game in 2001 after Brady suffered a knee injury, and also discussed one of the other memorable hits of his career (aside from Lewis' tackle).
Old 10-22-2013   #206
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Yea man.. I especially liked the last offensive play that Keenum made when he was showing off his mobility, pocket awareness, and throw on the run skills. Whooohooo! Go Keenum! Nothing like a sack/fumble near your goal line to end any chance you have to drive down the field and kick the game winning FG to showcase those awesome attributes eh? Nothing says mobility better than not being able to outrun a 275 pound man. Go Keenum Go!
Nitrofish, man, you might want to spend more time rewatching the game.

You come across as a hater, I'm sorry to say it.
Old 10-22-2013   #207
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Are you seriously comparing Kubiak to Belichik? That's just wrong on several levels, regardless of years HC experience or anything else. Belichik is a football coach. Kubiak is a players coach. Belichick does what's best for the team, as a whole. Kubiak does what he thinks is best for the players, thinking it betters the team. Belichik seems to wholly buy into the idea that competition makes the team better. Kubiak seems to buy into making the players comfortable in their role on the team makes a team better. Judging by the results, I'd say the NFL is a dog eat dog world and the strong survive and prosper.

This is more about coaching philosophy than player ability, real or perceived.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #208
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You're an idiot. I hope you haven't found a woman dumb enough to breed with you so you can piss in the human gene pool.
Old 10-22-2013   #209
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Relax man, If your boy does lose his job, he'll still have one of the best jobs in professional sports.. the backup QB. You get one of the best views in the house, don't have to be hit, and are still paid millions. It's a pretty sweet deal.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #210
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
May not remember correctly but seemed like our O lineman should have kept blocking the guy who tackled Keenum from behind. I think Keenum thought his back was protected & was looking down field to make a play.
Old 10-22-2013   #211
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
you're right. keenum needs to go back and talk to schaub on mobility and throwing on the run...you know, show us how it's done matt.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #212
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Ball security is an issue that's being glossed over right now. It should have been expected & definitely something he'll be working on in the future. The key is that he knows it's an issue. Over the next three games, his sack fumble # needs to be zero for me to have any more confidence in him going forward than our reigning pick 6 champion.

He's been smart with the ball so far. For me he's earned some leeway in the INT department. He can throw one a game for all I care, as long as he doesn't throw a really, really dumb one or fumble the ball in the same game.

The Keenum era has started.
Old 10-22-2013   #213
Nitrofish
FSM Rules!

Rep Power: 57899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Nitrofish, man, you might want to spend more time rewatching the game.

You come across as a hater, I'm sorry to say it.
You mean I have to actually watch the games? Now why didn't I think of that? Gee Wiz!

Quote:
You're an idiot. I hope you haven't found a woman dumb enough to breed with you so you can piss in the human gene pool.
Wow, now that was some deep insightful commentary there. One thing is for sure. It did lead to some idea of what kind of a human being you are. Cheers DocBar. You really know how to make the Human Race look good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Relax man, If your boy does lose his job, he'll still have one of the best jobs in professional sports.. the backup QB. You get one of the best views in the house, don't have to be hit, and are still paid millions. It's a pretty sweet deal.
Did I say something incorrect? Did I exaggerate? Funny also to read all of these comments about Newton all of the sudden, as if he was not the same right tackle who has been missing blocks for two years now. But now that Golden Boy is in, it's an issue.

I hear allot of excuses, but it's ok, I know it is just a matter of time before you all turn on Keenum too. I can wait.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #214
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You mean the unblocked pass rushers? Perfectly valid critique of the QB there.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #215
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hear allot of excuses, but it's ok, I know it is just a matter of time before you all turn on Keenum too. I can wait.
how could you not turn to someone with more potential at this point in time?

matter of time b4 we turn on keenum? you've already done that....
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #216
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
May not remember correctly but seemed like our O lineman should have kept blocking the guy who tackled Keenum from behind. I think Keenum thought his back was protected & was looking down field to make a play.
When Brown was beat to the inside, Keenum had to retreat backward.
He then put both hands on the ball and tried to get out of the pocket before be can decide whether he has a throw downfield, or keep running with it.

Newton let his man get around a hair too quickly.
Normally, it would have been OK if Keenum had the room to step up the pocket.

The defender had a running start, and caught Keenum from behind.

This is still a negative about Keenum.
If he was a bigger QB, he might be able to hold on to the ball better.

However, with Schaub, the defender would have gotten there even sooner.
It would have been a sack just the same; just not sure about the fumble.
Or Schaub could have been hit real hard and cough up the ball. Who knows.
Old 10-22-2013   #217
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Did I say something incorrect? Did I exaggerate? Funny also to read all of these comments about Newton all of the sudden, as if he was not the same right tackle who has been missing blocks for two years now. But now that Golden Boy is in, it's an issue.

Yes you exaggerated.. somebody made a post on how Keenum showed he could make plays outside of the pocket..and he did in the game. Your agenda led you to pull up a bad play against the best front 7 in the league where we had literally no running backs left in the game to keep them honest.

As far as "reading all these comments about Newton all of a sudden". LMAO, this is just you showing your bias if you actually think people are "now just all of a sudden talking about Newton's bad play" or how people just now think it's a issue. That's a complete downright lie, it's been well documented on this board how people feel about Newton.. they were saying he sucks even when your boy played. They have been talking about his bad play since he was inserted into the lineup

As far as how you can't wait for people to "turn on Keenum too", that's really besides the point. The point is people are finally ready to turn the page on Schaub, because it's obvious he is not the answer.. regardless if Keenum will prove to be or not has yet to be seen, but at least we don't know yet, hence why he should get his Shot .. we already know Schaub isn't, hence why it's time for him to move aside.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #218
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Are you seriously comparing Kubiak to Belichik? That's just wrong on several levels, regardless of years HC experience or anything else.
Kubiak-now vs Belichick-now, you're right. No contest.

Kubiak-now vs Belichick-then...... the argument can be made.

Bill Belichick was not without his faults his first 10 years as HC.
Old 10-22-2013   #219
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
When Brown was beat to the inside, Keenum had to retreat backward.
He then put both hands on the ball and tried to get out of the pocket before be can decide whether he has a throw downfield, or keep running with it.

Newton let his man get around a hair too quickly.
Normally, it would have been OK if Keenum had the room to step up the pocket.

The defender had a running start, and caught Keenum from behind.

This is still a negative about Keenum.
If he was a bigger QB, he might be able to hold on to the ball better.However, with Schaub, the defender would have gotten there even sooner.
It would have been a sack just the same; just not sure about the fumble.
Or Schaub could have been hit real hard and cough up the ball. Who knows.
I disagree with the bolded. Keenum palmed the ball with two hands, but that sack would've resulted in a fumble 99% of the time. Keenum did what any QB would do (except Schaub or Carr...they would've assumed fetal many seconds earlier) and put both hands on the ball while looking downfield for an open receiver.

Those kinds of turnovers are much more acceptable than the kind Schaub has had this season. Yates isn't even worth discussing at this point.
Old 10-22-2013   #220
76Texan
Hall of Fame

With Schaub in there, I think we would have seen about 10 sacks, and an INT or two (maybe even a pick-six; I shudder just thinking about it.)

This one was on the CB blitz from the outside of the LT.
Keenum saw the green dog; with a defender retreat back looking for a pick so be ate the sack.

We have seen Schaub throw a few INTs in this instance; Yates, too.
Keenum avoided a couple of INTs in these similar scenarios (taking a sack both times.)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read