Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2013   #41
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Why In the World did We Not Use our OFFENSIVE SYSTEM in this Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Kubiak said the biggest concern was putting too much on Keenum's plate. So either Case isn't game ready with our complete playbook or our coaches are unable to teach it to him.
Did you watch Stargate? One of the main characters was an archaeologist who specialized in ancient languages. He stumbled upon an group of people who happened to speak one of those ancient languages.

When he heard it for the first time, he didn't recognize it, didn't know that he knew it. However, after listening to it a few times, after struggling through the pronunciations... he ended up becoming very proficient pretty fast.

Just a movie, I know. But the same principals apply. Keenum has seen our offense, probably knows the playbook well. But actually seeing it from behind center, with the ball in his hands... it's going to take a little time before he can handle the play-book & the #1 pass rush in the NFL.
Old 10-21-2013   #42
corytx8
Veteran

Rep Power: 3622 corytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Something to keep in mind guys is that we had no running game after both Foster and Tate that hurt. That didn't help our situation either. On the flip side, it going to take some time for Case to learn the entire playbook, but I am glad that he is finally starting.
corytx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #43
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

A hallmark of Kubiak's offense is that they often run the exact same play out of many different formations throughout a game.
I wouldn't be surprised if you were seeing a lot of plays that they usually run, but this time they ran them from the shotgun or pistol formations.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #44
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think if we look back at some of my contrarisms, we'll see that I was ahead of the curve on a lot of issues... not all. But since I don't pat my back, or point out pack mentality, or have the power to delete threads......

you'd think I'd have warranted a smilie by now.
Hmmm...
this one

or this one?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Hmmm...
this one
I was thinking something more like

Old 10-22-2013   #46
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Another way Kubiak likes to outsmart the opposing DC is to run the exact same play he is thinking we will run just when he thinks we will do it. It's very confusing to me.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #47
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

I understood the reasoning for the pistol, but I absolutely hate running the ball out of that formation using a line cherry picked for the ZBS. The RB needs to build momentum running North/South and in that alignment the defense gains the advantage because the RB is a sitting duck for a second or two. I just hate it, run the zone read, some off tackle stretch just don't ask the guy to run parallel to the LOS in the NFL, will never work with the defensive athletes in the league.

Should have just went Run and Shoot/ Air Raid all game IMO.
Old 10-22-2013   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
A hallmark of Kubiak's offense is that they often run the exact same play out of many different formations throughout a game.
I wouldn't be surprised if you were seeing a lot of plays that they usually run, but this time they ran them from the shotgun or pistol formations.
The main difference of the pistol is that the QB is about four yards from the LOS; the RB is still at the same depth. We can have a FB in just the same; he lines up the same as in the offset I postion and never behind the QB as in the straight I.

We can still run the ZBS and play action off the pistol just the same; we never abandon our game plan.

Besides the pistol, I count 25 times when Keenum was in the shotgun (no RB directly behind him).

That's the same number of times I count for Yates and Schaub combined against the Rams.

Against the Niners, I count 27 times.

We really didn't go away from our base game; it's just that Keenum lined up mostly 4 yards from the LOS; that is all.
(Not exclusively, as I count 4 times that Keenum was under Center.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #49
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I think this is a legitimate question that I'm hoping Kubiak answers sometime this week. I was expecting to see alot more shotgun, but not exclusively! Those people that complain Kubiak is too predicatable can't complain about this one.
Oh but they are. Never underestimate the ability of a Texan 'fan'.
Old 10-22-2013   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The main difference of the pistol is that the QB is about four yards from the LOS; the RB is still at the same depth. We can have a FB in just the same; he lines up the same as in the offset I postion and never behind the QB as in the straight I.

We can still run the ZBS and play action off the pistol just the same; we never abandon our game plan.

Besides the pistol, I count 25 times when Keenum was in the shotgun (no RB directly behind him).

That's the same number of times I count for Yates and Schaub combined against the Rams.

Against the Niners, I count 27 times.

We really didn't go away from our base game; it's just that Keenum lined up mostly 4 yards from the LOS; that is all.
(Not exclusively, as I count 4 times that Keenum was under Center.)
I agree with you mostly. The only way the pistol hurts you is that you can't run a lot of counters..... but we don't any way, so like you said, getting Keenum out from under center did not take us out of our game plan.

However, I didn't see as many 2 TE sets & we got to the bottom of our WR depth chart. LeStar was back in the game.
Old 10-22-2013   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I agree with you mostly. The only way the pistol hurts you is that you can't run a lot of counters..... but we don't any way, so like you said, getting Keenum out from under center did not take us out of our game plan.

However, I didn't see as many 2 TE sets & we got to the bottom of our WR depth chart. LeStar was back in the game.
I haven't checked the games, but the snap count figures from Football Outsiders saw negligible difference in the appearance of the TEs between the previous game and this one.

The Texans didn't use the FB much though; a big drop off from previous games.
Perhaps, with Foster out early, Kubiak wanted to save Greg Jones some, in case Tate can't go at all.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #52
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
This board has been bitching all year for Kubiak to do something creative and he does and everyone loses their mind. WTF ??
Ditto...

The man has so much angst toward him he can do no right.

And that ain't right.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read