Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2013   #1
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected
Default With Bradford gone, the Rams need a QB...

They're going to start working out quarterbacks on Monday.

So if I'm Rick Smith, I'm on the phone to the Rams. Not to offer Schaub - all they need is another injury-prone QB - but Yates.

Get a draft pick and let Keenum take it the rest of the way, with Schaub as his backup. Yates is clearly expendable.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #2
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: With Bradford gone, the Rams need a QB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
They're going to start working out quarterbacks on Monday.

So if I'm Rick Smith, I'm on the phone to the Rams. Not to offer Schaub - all they need is another injury-prone QB - but Yates.

Get a draft pick and let Keenum take it the rest of the way, with Schaub as his backup. Yates is clearly expendable.
there is a yates on pretty much every roster, i doubt we would get much at all, i would send Schaub there or any where for even a 2nd and 3rd rounder.
Old 10-21-2013   #3
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Schaub would bring a second- or third-rounder.

Great if it would happen. But I don't see it. At least not now...maybe after the season.

I do think Yates would bring something in the fifth-round range. That's OK. I just think they (the Rams) are pretty desperate.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #4
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
I don't think Schaub would bring a second- or third-rounder.

Great if it would happen. But I don't see it. At least not now...maybe after the season.

I do think Yates would bring something in the fifth-round range. That's OK. I just think they (the Rams) are pretty desperate.
my 2nd and 3rd was best case scenario haha, who knows he might not even get us mr irrelevant.
Old 10-21-2013   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i would send Schaub there or any where for even a 2nd and 3rd rounder.
Its really hard to trade players in the NFL because of the way the salary cap works. Schaub's signing bonus makes that very unlikely. I believe they would have to eat the entire bonus under the cap now .... instead of having it spread over either the remainder of his deal or the next two seasons should he be cut after the season and designated a June 1 cut.

Also the Rams would have to have room under the cap to make to take on his salary. I don't know what their cap situation is .... but Schaub's salary is large enough that it would not be as simple as you might think.

We're stuck with Schaub being on the roster for the remainder of the season ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #6
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87001 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

They've seen Schaub play first-hand. They'd probably ask for us to package picks with that loser for them to take him off our hands. Same thing with Yates, they'd have no interest in either of those jokers.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #7
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Its really hard to trade players in the NFL because of the way the salary cap works. Schaub's signing bonus makes that very unlikely. I believe they would have to eat the entire bonus under the cap now .... instead of having it spread over either the remainder of his deal or the next two seasons should he be cut after the season and designated a June 1 cut.

Also the Rams would have to have room under the cap to make to take on his salary. I don't know what their cap situation is .... but Schaub's salary is large enough that it would not be as simple as you might think.

We're stuck with Schaub being on the roster for the remainder of the season ....
Someone please explain to me how you think Rick Smith should still have a job as GM. He may or may not get the things that don't really matter right or wrong, but who cares when he misses on every major decision that will really mold the team for the future.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2013   #8
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 126444 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
They've seen Schaub play first-hand. They'd probably ask for us to package picks with that loser for them to take him off our hands. Same thing with Yates, they'd have no interest in either of those jokers.
Yeah I dont see any scenario where teh Rams or any team for that matter would want to trade for Schaub or Yates.
Old 10-21-2013   #9
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

best case we could get a 3rd for matt maybe but I doubt FIsher would want him esp since he seen him last week LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Someone please explain to me how you think Rick Smith should still have a job as GM. He may or may not get the things that don't really matter right or wrong, but who cares when he misses on every major decision that will really mold the team for the future.
I'm probably in the minority but I think they have done a reasonable job in managing the cap situation.

This season is a bitter pill to swallow because of the sky high expectations we had going in .....

Old 10-21-2013   #11
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24776 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Rams are done for the season as well pretty much, why would they trade for a washed up QB?

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #12
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe the Rams will bring in VY ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm probably in the minority but I think they have done a reasonable job in managing the cap situation.

This season is a bitter pill to swallow because of the sky high expectations we had going in .....
This post is correct. There's some sort of groupthink that just started that thinks everything going on is the fault of Smith. Glover Quin is a solid player, he's not some superstar, and Smith went out and tried to hit a home run with Reed to try to catch one or two more seasons of big play.

As far as the draft goes I'm pretty much going to ignore the people who will inevitably come in and talk about how any good or great draft pick we've had the past 6 years is due to <insert coordinator here>, or was lucky or whatever. Rick Smith was the only part I was really wavering on whether I'd want him to be gone in a total house cleaning at the end of the year if it were to happen (yes, even our beloved Wade Phillips).
Old 10-21-2013   #14
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
idk, if they think perhaps schaub is slumping and could get it together they might bite. thats assuming they want to give bradford some competition next year, they could trade for schaub and have him under contract. i keep hearing fans of other teams saying they would take schaub in a heartbeat, people get caught up in stats.
Old 10-21-2013   #15
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What is most important task of GM?

GK still here.
MS given contract.

If you say Rick does not have the power then we need a REAL GM, not a Kubiak buddy.

I guess we will just disagree.
Old 10-21-2013   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
What is most important task of GM?

GK still here.
MS given contract.

If you say Rick does not have the power then we need a REAL GM, not a Kubiak buddy.

I guess we will just disagree.
I don't blame Kubiak all that much either .... He wasn't the one throwing touchdowns to the other team.

I also don't blame him for sticking with Schaub .... a guy who won you 12 games last year over Yates and an undrafted Keenum (despite his play yesterday - hindsight is always 20-20).

I don't think anyone here expected such a regression by Schaub .... no one thought he would be a world beater but to say he'd look worse than JaMarcus Russell .... or Mark Sanchez ... none of us expected that.

Also , I think they came up with a rock solid gameplan for Keenum yesterday .... that was working just fine until both Foster & Tate were injured and they got behind .... The Chiefs knew they had to throw and they got to him when it mattered most.
I know a lot of people will blame the play calling .... but keeping a back in just allows them one more rusher as they have one less guy to account for down field.

If Keenum made any mistakes yesterday it was in recognizing and accounting for the blitzers - as much the OL's fault as his.

Bottom line - they had more big plays yesterday than they had all season.

Old 10-21-2013   #17
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't blame Kubiak all that much either .... He wasn't the one throwing touchdowns to the other team.

I also don't blame him for sticking with Schaub .... a guy who won you 12 games last year over Yates and an undrafted Keenum (despite his play yesterday - hindsight is always 20-20).

I don't think anyone here expected such a regression by Schaub .... no one thought he would be a world beater but to say he'd look worse than JaMarcus Russell .... or Mark Sanchez ... none of us expected that.

Also , I think they came up with a rock solid gameplan for Keenum yesterday .... that was working just fine until both Foster & Tate were injured and they got behind .... The Chiefs knew they had to throw and they got to him when it mattered most.
I know a lot of people will blame the play calling .... but keeping a back in just allows them one more rusher as they have one less guy to account for down field.

If Keenum made any mistakes yesterday it was in recognizing and accounting for the blitzers - as much the OL's fault as his.

Ok, but really has nothing to do with my post about GM that you were responding to.
Old 10-21-2013   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 280296 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Exactly.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #19
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

The Rams currently have $257,903 in available cap space, so no, they can't take Schaub's contract even if they wanted to. Yates is certainly doable, but unlikely to yield anything more than a 5th round pick.
Old 10-21-2013   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Nobody would trade a hill of beans for Yates right now, he has no trade value. The league view is he is a back up QB who couldn't take advantage of a struggling starter and he just got beat out by a UDFA.. He has no trade value,
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read