Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who deserves more blame for the loss?
Keenum 1 1.69%
Oline 58 98.31%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2013   #41
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who deserves more blame for the loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
Gary Kubiak.
Gary Kubiak
-never adjusted to the constant blitzing by the defense. No screen pass, no short hot routes, no draw plays, and totally went away from our regular play calling. Those were not the same plays that schaub was using.

-not activating cierre woods

-conservative play calling was evident throughout the game. The baffling conservative call right before the half, running then suddenly throwing. Mind boggling.

Defense

-Joe Mays and Ed Reed is killing us. Ed Reed missing tackles, penalties, joe mays just looks lost out there.

-couldnt stop the chiefs even though they were on 3rd and long. No inside presence. It was never addressed in the draft. Instead they burn picks on two outside linebackers that we didnt need. We needed ILBs and DT help but was never addressed.

Special teams

-what is it gonna take to fire Joe Marciano? Horrible coverage.
To your first point hot reads are on the QB. Case's inexperienced shined on those blitzes where he failed to make his hot reads (because he had hot reads). Yeah those were not the same play Schaub were running, but last time I checked Schaub wasn't under center. I like the adjustment made for the first time starter (ie pistol formation shotgun spread formations etc).

I agree not activating Cierre Woods was a bad decision. Especially considering he had knowledge of a "minor" issue with Foster's hamstring earlier in the week.

I'll agree Kubiak was definitely conservative at times, most notably at the end of the 1st half (bad clock management there. we should have called the timeout immediately when Ben Tate had a good run on the 1st play and attempted to get in FG at least.) Also, I believe he should have handle the goalline situation different.

Defense
You missed one. Brice McCain was teriible in the slot today. He gave up the most plays on 3rd down (especially on those underneath crossing). However, he did make a play at the end on 3rd down.

Defense was bad in the first half, but they did turn it around in the second half. They made plays. They gave us opportunities to win the game, so we can't put too much blame on them other than slow start.

ST
Yeah pour ST sucks.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #42
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
why was cierre woods not activated?

we had the ball in the 1 yard line and had to use our full back to score. Horrible coaching decisions is killing this team.
We did QB sneak on 1st down (which I agreed with). Should have done QB sneak again, or a PA bootleg (to run it in using Keenum's mobility)>
Old 10-21-2013   #43
cbs1507
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Everyone.

I continue to wonder if the QB in Kubiaks scheme is even allowed to read if there's a blitz or not. I mean, when there's 4 guys standing over your G and T....you might see a blitz. No adjustments, no calls on the oline, just run the play as Kubiak calls

Newton stinks, but he ran his man out the back end on the sack/fumble. Keenum needed to get rid of the ball

In the end, I'm saddened by the fact we'll be seeing status quo until the end of next year.
There are hot reads what do you mean? The QB's got to recognize the blitz and get the ball out ASAP. Chalk it up to inexperience, he'll learn. He (Keeneum) even said himself he was confused with all the different blitzes they sent.
Old 10-21-2013   #44
edwardc5637
Rookie

Rep Power: 2228 edwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respected

There is one person to blame that Kubiak poor play calling and bad moves.
edwardc5637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #45
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 107472 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
There are hot reads what do you mean? The QB's got to recognize the blitz and get the ball out ASAP. Chalk it up to inexperience, he'll learn. He (Keeneum) even said himself he was confused with all the different blitzes they sent.
That was my point. I was being sarcastic
Old 10-21-2013   #46
cbs1507
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
In reality i blame Kubiak for the Loss, the Pistol is ok to run every now and then, but it does not play to our strengths plus it puts the RB even further behind the LOS, and that doesnt help especially when tate is all you have.

Keenum can work out of center, he did it all pre season and looked fine. I think Kubiak may have been trying to play to Keenums strengths to much that he took away from what we do well.

Will say it didnt help we had no healthy RBs, were Missing O.D and we have Derek Letembye over there on the right side of the line, still though Kubiak went a little overboard trying to make this offense like the UH offense, when i think Keenum can run what we usually run and be just fine.
I don't think the formations is what cost us this game. I do blame Kubiak for poor clock management at the end of first half and poor play calling on the goal line situation where we settled for FG. But at the end of the day we had 4 possessions in the 4th quarter and ALL of the ended in SACKS. QB's gotta get rid of the ball point blank. If Case Keenum couldn't recognize the blitzes out of shotgun, what makes you think he's gonna recognize then any better under center?
Old 10-21-2013   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Everyone.

I continue to wonder if the QB in Kubiaks scheme is even allowed to read if there's a blitz or not. I mean, when there's 4 guys standing over your G and T....you might see a blitz. No adjustments, no calls on the oline, just run the play as Kubiak calls

Newton stinks, but he ran his man out the back end on the sack/fumble. Keenum needed to get rid of the ball

In the end, I'm saddened by the fact we'll be seeing status quo until the end of next year.
Keenum tried to, Hou-Tex.
Unfortunately, D. Brown didn't allow it to happen.
Near the 2-sec mark, Keenum wanted to step up in the pocket in anticipation of either one of three routes (Graham, Jean, or Tate), but Brown got beat to the inside - I don't know if Brown expected Wade Smith to move back together with the entire O-line or not.
Keenum knew that if he stepped up, he would step right into the pass rush so he took off right away right at the 2-sec mark (he was out of the pocket before the 3-sec mark.)

Keenum never had a chance to throw the ball away.
If he stayed in the pocket and even attempted to throw the ball, the RDE would have been right on top on him, or at least had a hand on the ball (which is a chance for the ball to be batted around in the air, something nobody wants.)

If he tried to throw the ball away at any time when he tried to scramble out of the pocket, D Johnson would have gotten to the ball just the same - maybe even sooner.

If that play took another half a second or even a quarter of a second, then I would put it on Case (for not being able to get rid of the ball.)
None of the routes was designed to be open in less than 2 seconds.

IMHO, Case made the correct decision there.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #48
ljhog
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respected

Why we lost:
Couldn't run the ball effectively. Couldn't stop the run.
Gave up 5 sacks. Got 1 sack.
ljhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #49
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum is definitely the best quarterback on the team and for this current team. The o line will be better against other teams that are not as great at blitzing as Kansas City. Still need to have Keenum at qb to help the offense extend the plays and the defense get enough rest.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #50
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33993 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Where is the Kubiak option?
Exactly ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read