Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2013   #141
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: .. and it only took a quarter, so who's ready to eat crow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
There were 7 threads about Case Keenum before he even played a snap. 2 more, atleast, got deleted or locked. People put their faith in him and are now personally invested in his play. Just look at the title of this thread. You've got people blaming the coach, of course, for Keenum's mistakes. It's funny.

That's why I put the fanboy comment in. Because it's necessary to keep all this in perspective.

What does that have to do with how he played today? The question is how did he play today? He played ok. Understand what we are talking about, please.
Because you act like he should be playing like a vet. the mistakes he made at the line should be expected IN HIS FIRST GAME. Seriously, think here....
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #142
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The fanboys are out in full force, of course.

Keenum played better than Schaub has. He had an ok game. The guy can definitely throw but his recognition at the line leaves something to be desired. Hopefully he can improve on that.

It's almost as if you fanboys don't watch other NFL games. Simply comparing Keenum to Schaub is setting the bar extremely low.
After rewatching the games a couple of times, including a lot of freezed frames, pauses, rewinds and a lot of checking out the defenses called, what the QB should see, my conclusion is that Keenum played even better than I originally thought.
I will come back to play by play when I have time; I also like to wait for the All-22 angles to confirm a few things.
At the very least, Keenum more than carried his weight, even disregarding the fact that it was his first start, in one of the most hostile environment, against a great or at least very good defense.

With Schaub, it would have been a blow out; same goes with Yates.
Keenum played well enough to win the game.

He recognized the blitzes, including the overload just fine.
His decisions were very sound.
I will come back to this also.

He's going to have the chance to start more games for the Texans; I'm quite confident of that.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #143
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Seems like about a half dozen of you currently. Hardly a large number.
Maybe we should start a poll to find out who this half dozen is. I don't remember seeing anyone hoping for Keenum to fail.
Old 10-21-2013   #144
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
After rewatching the games a couple of times, including a lot of freezed frames, pauses, rewinds and a lot of checking out the defenses called, what the QB should see, my conclusion is that Keenum played even better than I originally thought.
I will come back to play by play when I have time; I also like to wait for the All-22 angles to confirm a few things.
At the very least, Keenum more than carried his weight, even disregarding the fact that it was his first start, in one of the most hostile environment, against a great or at least very good defense.

With Schaub, it would have been a blow out; same goes with Yates.
Keenum played well enough to win the game.

He recognized the blitzes, including the overload just fine.
His decisions were very sound.
I will come back to this also.

He's going to have the chance to start more games for the Texans; I'm quite confident of that.

I don't think he played bad nor well. Case was a neutral player today. He wasn't why they lost,but he didn't do enough to help the team win. He made some throws that were completitions that were poor throws. I expect it from a yound player.
Old 10-21-2013   #145
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Maybe we should start a poll to find out who this half dozen is. I don't remember seeing anyone hoping for Keenum to fail.
Nobody has made a post saying "I hope he fails", but you can tell who has a rooting interest.. Nitrofish for one. He probably would lead that poll.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #146
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
He made some throws that were completitions that were poor throws. I expect it from a yound player.
If you watch any football at all you should expect it from every single QB every single game. You're trying too hard.
Old 10-21-2013   #147
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think he played bad nor well. Case was a neutral player today. He wasn't why they lost,but he didn't do enough to help the team win. He made some throws that were completitions that were poor throws. I expect it from a yound player.

You're out of your mind or didn't watch the game if you think Keenum didn't play well given the circumstances. Once Tate got hurt we had zero threat of a running game which allowed the defense to pin it's ears back the rest of the way. The offensive line got it's tail whipped from that point on hence why we gave up 5 sacks in the 2nd half.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #148
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 67028 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lets not forget the potential TD to G. Graham that was dropped along with the pass to Hopkins in the endzone that he dropped and then we settled for 3. He made the plays on those the guy catching the ball just didnt do his part.
Old 10-21-2013   #149
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Lets not forget the potential TD to G. Graham that was dropped along with the pass to Hopkins in the endzone that he dropped and then we settled for 3. He made the plays on those the guy catching the ball just didnt do his part.
The graham and hopkins plays were very,very difficults plays to make. I don't think you can count those unless u count the andre slant that was behind him and he snatched it away or the crossing route to hopkins in which he did the same thing. As I said,he played ok,not bad,not great. As bad as oakland was last week,that was a tie game late in the 4th. The chiefs are gonna keep you in the game because alex smith is the qb. A much tougher test is when you have to keep up the pace with a great qb. They got indy coming up post bye and we will see more from case.
Old 10-21-2013   #150
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 67028 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The graham and hopkins plays were very,very difficults plays to make. I don't think you can count those unless u count the andre slant that was behind him and he snatched it away or the crossing route to hopkins in which he did the same thing. As I said,he played ok,not bad,not great. As bad as oakland was last week,that was a tie game late in the 4th. The chiefs are gonna keep you in the game because alex smith is the qb. A much tougher test is when you have to keep up the pace with a great qb. They got indy coming up post bye and we will see more from case.
Well in a normal game we wouldnt have zero healthy RBs. Lets not act like Case had alot of weapons yesterday. Pretty much only proven play maker he had yesterday was AJ.

O.D is out
Foster got hurt
Tate was banged up

Hell not having foster in there is bad enough, but then minus the threat of any kind of run and people can say what they want but the kid still played better than a lot of people would in that situation. Not to mention Play action is 100% gone at that point.
Old 10-21-2013   #151
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Seems like about a half dozen of you currently. Hardly a large number.
I want names.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #152
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The fanboys are out in full force, of course.

Keenum played better than Schaub has. He had an ok game. The guy can definitely throw but his recognition at the line leaves something to be desired. Hopefully he can improve on that.

It's almost as if you fanboys don't watch other NFL games. Simply comparing Keenum to Schaub is setting the bar extremely low.
Who exactly should he be compared to?

Were there any other qb's making their first start under similar conditions as case this weekend?

I don't know what you guys' are looking at or expect. Keenum played very well.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #153
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Nobody has made a post saying "I hope he fails", but you can tell who has a rooting interest.. Nitrofish for one. He probably would lead that poll.
If your comments have been mostly negative or trying to downplay what case did, that is who is rooting for failure. It's unwarranted. You font have to anoint case as anything, but if this were our third round pick from last year from michigan state, I think some people would be less critical of his play. He showed all kinds of promise and potential yesterday. We know he wasn't perfect, but it's no coincidence that most (not all) of the same people that "knew" he'd suck are now downplaying what he did yesterday.
Old 10-21-2013   #154
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

meh....no pick 6s, so in my mind, that's a good enough improvement to stay on the job.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #155
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Look, I have no biases towards Keenum whatsoever. I haven't lived in Houston in over 14 years, and my alma mater, UCF, is a rival of U of H's. That being said, it was crystal clear to me that he showed me a lot more ability than any other QB on our roster has.The most impressive part of it all is that IT WAS HIS FIRST EVER NFL GAME against one of the league's top defenses in one of the hardest venues to play in in the NFL.

The only future I'm concerned about is the rest of this season, and it's pretty damn obvious Case is the best QB we have, even after just one game... so if Kubiak has any sense, he'll leave him in. As for after this season? That's to be determined.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #156
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52781 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why not just come out and tell us what your agenda is? Is it that you keep saying Case doesn't have an NFL arm?

While he was far from perfect, the Texans had 6 plays of 25 yards yesterday. How many of those had we seen prior to yesterday?

I'm grading on a bit of a curve, but considering he is a UDFA in his first real action, had no Arian, a hobbled Tate, virtually no running game, a porous line, on the road in the loudest stadium against the number 1 D in the league..with Boobiak calling the plays, he did more than ok. Anyone with two eyes can at least acknowledge that. Is he "the Answer?". Totally different question and I don't think we can possibly know that now.

But grow up and quit trying to push some agenda that nobody cares about. Own up to your mistake and quit with the BS.
Old 10-21-2013   #157
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I was impressed with Keenum and he played better than I even hoped he would.

No interceptions. Made things happen when the pocket collapsed, which seemed to be almost every play. And he made some throws that begged to be seen multiple times with the DVR. You could tell his receivers were having fun, too.

yeah, he didn't pick up all the blitzes, but you have to think our RT could at least slow guys down. Spencer Tillman broke some plays down last night and Newton looks pathetic out there. Dude can't even get in the the way of some of those pass rushes. He was getting manhandled and needs to find a job outside of football.

But back to Case. Dude is composed, which is something we have not seen in our QBs for awhile. yeah, he's got a lot to learn, but that's just Captain Obvious stuff about a young QB. Dude was playing in a hostile stadium against a great defense and still looked good out there. The Chiefs D have made QBs look bad this season, but Case was not one of them.

Anyone criticizing him for making inexperience mistakes is just looking for stuff to bag on him about. Yeah, I get critical analysis, but some of the criticism is borderline goofy based on ignorance (i.e. not knowing what you are seeing).

Keenum is the future. He's got more potential than Yates, and it is clear that Shaub's best years are behind him and he's damaged goods now. Time to move on and see what Case can do for the rest of the year to see if he's a franchise QB or if they need to look in the draft.
Old 10-21-2013   #158
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Keenum is the future. He's got more potential than Yates, and it is clear that Shaub's best years are behind him and he's damaged goods now. Time to move on and see what Case can do for the rest of the year to see if he's a franchise QB or if they need to look in the draft.
This. This. A thousand times THIS. Schaub and TJ aren't going to cut it, and we don't know if Keenum long term will either, but he's the only QB we have that MIGHT do it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #159
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 73673 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

we had -1 rushing yards in the second half by anyone not named keenum (his 9 yarder giving us a total of 8 rushing yards). this game should've been in the bag, but with both runningbacks hurt and no other options, we couldnt move the ball and put a target on keenum's chest. i can think of 1 quarterback (brady) who would be a good bet to play well in that situation away and against the best pass rush in the league ... maybe.

keenum is my guy going forward. like i said, we needed time to implement a more complete gameplan and set of plays. without it, we were unable to make any adjustments. this should be a very focused bye week between kubiak and keenum. kubiak saw him in a live fire situation, saw what he did well with and struggled against, and can now put together a bigger playbook with adjusted route design and blocking schemes.

i'm excited to see what happens next.
Old 10-21-2013   #160
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I was impressed with Keenum and he played better than I even hoped he would.

No interceptions. Made things happen when the pocket collapsed, which seemed to be almost every play. And he made some throws that begged to be seen multiple times with the DVR. You could tell his receivers were having fun, too.

yeah, he didn't pick up all the blitzes, but you have to think our RT could at least slow guys down. Spencer Tillman broke some plays down last night and Newton looks pathetic out there. Dude can't even get in the the way of some of those pass rushes. He was getting manhandled and needs to find a job outside of football.

But back to Case. Dude is composed, which is something we have not seen in our QBs for awhile. yeah, he's got a lot to learn, but that's just Captain Obvious stuff about a young QB. Dude was playing in a hostile stadium against a great defense and still looked good out there. The Chiefs D have made QBs look bad this season, but Case was not one of them.

Anyone criticizing him for making inexperience mistakes is just looking for stuff to bag on him about. Yeah, I get critical analysis, but some of the criticism is borderline goofy based on ignorance (i.e. not knowing what you are seeing).

Great posts. I'm not even addressing the overly negative stuff about case at this point. It's silly.

The guy earned/deserved a chance to play qb for us.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read