Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-20-2013   #41
AggieTexan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 AggieTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedAggieTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedAggieTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedAggieTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedAggieTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedAggieTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedAggieTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedAggieTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedAggieTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedAggieTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedAggieTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cushing - will he play another play?

I feel terrible for Brian...I was so happy to see him back on the field this year.
AggieTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #42
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The preliminary diagnosis as it stands now (without MRI) is LCL and fibula fracture. I suspect the MRI will be performed tomorrow in Houston. MRI may show cartilage damage and other ligament tear damage or other stress fracture that cannot be diagnosed by physical exam and plain x-rays alone. And I would not be so quick to rule out partial ACL or PCL either without MRI (even with this modality, partial tears can be sometimes missed).
Prognosis if it's just the fracture & LCL?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #43
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to be THAT guy, BUT how much of the ligament injuries are due to steroids? I don't want to bash him, because I love Cush and could care less about what he did or didn't do, but honestly do steroids wear down the ligaments and make them easier to tear? Or is he really just THAT unlucky?
Old 10-20-2013   #44
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

This should bump Reed inside and give Jefferson a shot at OLB. Bye week comes at the best time really.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #45
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
That block by Charles was nothing we wouldnt ask our players to do. It was bad luck, not dirty play.
True, but it makes me feel better to call Charles a piece of sh!t, so let me at least have that.
Old 10-20-2013   #46
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 113379 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

The man busted his ass to get ready after last season. I doubt he's finished. He may not be the same but I think he'll be back. Good luck 56.
Old 10-20-2013   #47
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72577 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
That's pretty much the Texans M.O. isn't it. Sign them to a big contract and then watch them get injured, fall apart, or just plain start mailing it in. We have the worst luck when it comes to what players who choose to reward for their work and when we decide to do it.
You mean sign them up after they've been injured severely and watch them get injured again. Rick's MO
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #48
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Terrible injury. Get well soon and next man up
Old 10-20-2013   #49
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Not to be THAT guy, BUT how much of the ligament injuries are due to steroids? I don't want to bash him, because I love Cush and could care less about what he did or didn't do, but honestly do steroids wear down the ligaments and make them easier to tear? Or is he really just THAT unlucky?
If he was just running along and took a arrow to the knee then so be it I might be on that train too. But he had his foot planted and JC exploded into his leg, and basically destroyed it.

What happens if he doesn't play another down, how do career ending injuries get resolved with the salary cap?

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #50
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The preliminary diagnosis as it stands now (without MRI) is LCL and fibula fracture. I suspect the MRI will be performed tomorrow in Houston. MRI may show cartilage damage and other ligament tear damage or other stress fracture that cannot be diagnosed by physical exam and plain x-rays alone. And I would not be so quick to rule out partial ACL or PCL either without MRI (even with this modality, partial tears can be sometimes missed).
Cloak, given the nature of the injury, as it is being reported... If the fracture is only to the fibula... could the fibula be fractured from stress in a way similar to what happened to Spencer's tibia, where it sort of created a fault line into the knee itself and cut blood flow, causing knee tissue to die, etc...?

I realize the injury to the LCL and other possibilities still undetermined could mean serious consequences to the knee... However, I'm wondering about just the fibula and if a similar situation is possible/likely... because, it does look like a stress fracture and one that could have been violent enough to be much more than a hairline fracture.
Old 10-20-2013   #51
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
Terrible injury. Get well soon and next man up
sharpton

Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #52
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 81572 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Once Sharpton is injured, I guess Mohamed is going to be our MLB?
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #53
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 11061 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Some words from the beast.....

Quote:
Brian Cushing @briancushing56
It's not how many times you fall down but
how many times you get back up. Life is
tough but I'm the toughest SOB it's ever
seen. Ill be back
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #54
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Prognosis if it's just the fracture & LCL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Cloak, given the nature of the injury, as it is being reported... If the fracture is only to the fibula... could the fibula be fractured from stress in a way similar to what happened to Spencer's tibia, where it sort of created a fault line into the knee itself and cut blood flow, causing knee tissue to die, etc...?

I realize the injury to the LCL and other possibilities still undetermined could mean serious consequences to the knee... However, I'm wondering about just the fibula and if a similar situation is possible/likely... because, it does look like a stress fracture and one that could have been violent enough to be much more than a hairline fracture.
The fibula is called a nonwieght-bearing bone because it is itself not any part of the the knee joint. It is positioned below and outside of the knee joint. It is the tibia that is the leg contact joint bone that bears all of the weight. Any fracture of the tibia that goes into the joint surface (tibial plateau) of the knee must be considered a serious injury....especially if it is fragmented. A fracture of the fibula will never in itself result in a knee joint fracture.

But since this is reported as a fracture of the fibula (not specified as a stress fracture) and an LCL (also called the Fibula Collateral Ligament because it attaches distally to the fibula), I believe the actual injury (as I stated before, not withstanding other injuries that may be identified on MRI) is probably not a tear of the LCL, but an avulsion fracture of the large fragment of fibula still attached to the LCL. This would require open fixation of the fibula fracture, which would then automatically replace the LCL into correct anatomic position. (It could be both a separate tear of the LCL AND a fracture of the fibula, but much less likely.)

NORMAL ANATOMY:

AVULSION FIBULA FRACTURE WITH LCL ATTACHED:

If the above is the only injury, then the knee function will not be affected after he is healed.......and his overall performance should be returned to normal by OTAs.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #55
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you see the play?
Old 10-20-2013   #56
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The fibula is called a nonwieght-bearing bone because it is itself not any part of the the knee joint. It is positioned below and outside of the knee joint. It is the tibia that is the leg contact joint bone that bears all of the weight. Any fracture of the tibia that goes into the joint surface (tibial plateau) of the knee must be considered a serious injury....especially if it is fragmented. A fracture of the fibula will never in itself result in a knee joint fracture.

But since this is reported as a fracture of the fibula (not specified as a stress fracture) and an LCL (also called the Fibula Collateral Ligament because it attaches distally to the fibula), I believe the actual injury (as I stated before, not withstanding other injuries that may be identified on MRI) is probably not a tear of the LCL, but an avulsion fracture of the large fragment of fibula still attached to the LCL. This would require open fixation of the fibula fracture, which would then automatically replace the LCL into correct anatomic position. (It could be both a separate tear of the LCL AND a fracture of the fibula, but much less likely.)

If the above is the only injury, then the knee function will not be affected after he is healed.......and his overall performance should be returned to normal by OTAs.
Doc, how much can be diagnosed by the amount of movement in the knee? Would the avulsion fracture, mentioned above, give more movement or about the same as a complete tear of the ACL? Would the amount of pain involved hamper a proper diagnosis because the patient couldn't stand the pain to show full amount of movement from the avulsion fracture?

EDIT: What is the prognosis for other ligamentous and/or menisci damage along with the avulsion fracture? Still ready by TC or 2014 regular season? At what point could Cushing expect to experience debilitating arthritis in this knee?
Old 10-20-2013   #57
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This may not even be a true ligament injury. [See my post above] We may know more tomorrow after the MRI.
Old 10-20-2013   #58
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Doc, how much can be diagnosed by the amount of movement in the knee? Would the avulsion fracture, mentioned above, give more movement or about the same as a complete tear of the ACL? Would the amount of pain involved hamper a proper diagnosis because the patient couldn't stand the pain to show full amount of movement from the avulsion fracture?
A plain x-ray can usually diagnosed the avulsion fracture........and many times, upon physical exam, you can feel he fragment out of place and move it.
A complete ACL should be able to be diagnosed by physical exam using the "Drawer Sign." Some patients with complete ACLs can still manage to walk if they can take the pain. It's the partial ACLs which may reveal little or no movement that are difficult to diagnose, sometime even with the use of MRI.
Old 10-20-2013   #59
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You're being THAT guy and it's wholly unwarranted. The hit's that Cush has taken to be expected to end with the resultant injuries. I would expect that ligament/tendon damage caused by steroid use to occur during training or with no contact. This is due to the muscles being strengthened at a faster rate than the ligament/tendon. Ligaments and tendons get far less blood supply and strengthen much slower than muscle tissue. I would also expect to see more tendon injuries than ligament injuries.
Old 10-20-2013   #60
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59514 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
Well you sorry namecaller, I was just stating the fact. Wasn't even talking to Cush.
Oh you weren't talking about Cush? "Well the injury prone Cushing goes down again" please tell me more about how you weren't talking about Cush.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read