Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-20-2013   #21
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaLikeRightNow View Post
Well stated...this is our "needs list" for next season!
Watching Newton, it is very difficult to comprehend how he can receive competent coaching by a good NFL offensive line coach (Benton is certainly competent), be such a good athlete, and have such hideous technique after three years in the NFL. It just doesn't make sense. If he was a 1st round stud, then I could guess that he is perhaps too arrogant and stubborn to take coaching. However, as a late round pick, trying to make it in the NFL, without any attitude problems I'm aware of, I just don't get it! Some guys, I guess, just aren't coachable.
Old 10-20-2013   #22
YeaLikeRightNow
Veteran

Rep Power: 650 YeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Watching Newton, it is very difficult to comprehend how he can receive competent coaching by a good NFL offensive line coach (Benton is certainly competent), be such a good athlete, and have such hideous technique after three years in the NFL. It just doesn't make sense. If he was a 1st round stud, then I could guess that he is perhaps too arrogant and stubborn to take coaching. However, as a late round pick, trying to make it in the NFL, without any attitude problems I'm aware of, I just don't get it! Some guys, I guess, just aren't coachable.

Newton could be quicker if he'd drop a few pounds. His hand techniques are absent, his footwork makes him look very busy, as if he's really trying hard; but he goes nowhere.
YeaLikeRightNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #23
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The two biggest coaching blunders today:

1. not activating Cierre Wood
2. Playing Newton instead of Harris on the final two drives of the 4th quarter. (Newton's athleticism is sometimes an asset in the run game- but, given the fact that we had no running back and the Chief defense were in attack mode, Harris needed to be in the game- he was in the 1st half on both scoring drives, I think)
Come on... it's not fair playing hindsight. Who knew both Foster and Tate would get hurt today in the same game? This isn't the first time Cierre has been inactive.

Newton on the other hand... I have no idea why Harris doesn't start?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #24
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Newton runs well but he doesn't slide his feet well.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #25
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Come on... it's not fair playing hindsight. Who knew both Foster and Tate would get hurt today in the same game? This isn't the first time Cierre has been inactive.

Tate is always banged up...I think it's pretty common to carry 3 HBs. It was just a odd decision not to, Wood must be a horrible special teams player for them not to do so.
Old 10-20-2013   #26
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post

Well, when you are missing one of your TEs... are playing the best pass rushing defense in the league with a QB making his first start- doing it on the road in one of the two loudest stadiums in the NFL... and one of your RBs missed significant practice with a strained hamstring, I think it is simply common sense.

This is not hindsight. I gasped when I saw he was inactive on page 3 of the gameday thread this afternoon before the game started... Did we really need 5 WRs? Lester Jean could've been inactive. Particularly for this game. It just didn't make sense. I'm not going to criticize the 6 active CBs because Mack (#43) is the only reason the special team's unit didn't look even worse.
Old 10-20-2013   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
However, I think the most costly mistake of the game was the decision to not activate Cierre Wood. Tate was clearly unable to do anything...
With everyone saying that Tate could start on many other teams in the NFL, I don't know that I would have activated Cierre Wood. If Tate could play like a lot of people thought he was capable of, spelling him with Greg Jones would have been a fine emergency plan.

Then, it looked like we had every possible WR active for the game, Andre, DeAndre, Martin, Posey, LeStar..... then Mohammed, & Mack was activated for special teams, Jamison was activated, probably trying to keep Antonio & Watt fresh...

Quote:
I must agree that this team should go forward with Keenum in two weeks. After that, we will see.
Not me. He's the starter. It's got to be his job to lose. Can't be willy nilly about it, Kubiak needs to grab his sack & get behind his starter.
Old 10-20-2013   #28
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
With everyone saying that Tate could start on many other teams in the NFL, I don't know that I would have activated Cierre Wood. If Tate could play like a lot of people thought he was capable of, spelling him with Greg Jones would have been a fine emergency plan.

Then, it looked like we had every possible WR active for the game, Andre, DeAndre, Martin, Posey, LeStar..... then Mohammed, & Mack was activated for special teams, Jamison was activated, probably trying to keep Antonio & Watt fresh...

Not me. He's the starter. It's got to be his job to lose. Can't be willy nilly about it, Kubiak needs to grab his sack & get behind his starter.

I don't think a pronouncement like "he's starting the rest of this season" is needed. I expect that he will be given a significant opportunity. I'm just tempering my enthusiasm and expectations. It was only one game. If he shows up in two weeks and goes 10 - 30 with 3 interceptions, I may feel different. But, yeah, I think the coaches and players in that locker room are feeling better about QB position right now than they have in the recent history. Awww, the wonder of the unknown- it has limitless potential.
Old 10-20-2013   #29
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow! Perhaps I am simply too big a fan of these guys to be a realist. I did not understand how physically limited Schaub was until I saw Keenum playing the position today. The movement, the release, and the opportunity for playmaking was a stark difference from what we have been dealing with- at least since the lisfranc injury.

Not only that, but he was very poised, I thought. Clearly, there were issues make hot reads and accounting for overload blitzes late in the game. However, I think the most costly mistake of the game was the decision to not activate Cierre Wood. Tate was clearly unable to do anything... KC knew it and pinned their ears back. If the Texans had the ability to run the ball, the second half goes very differently.

I must agree that this team should go forward with Keenum in two weeks. After that, we will see. Not in my most optimistic moment (and I did think we had a chance to win this game), did I expect to be so impressed with him today. Hard not to get excited about the kid. I did not see an issue with arm strength, release, size, etc... He seems to have the tools and showed the potential to be a leader, though much of that develops (or doesn't) over time.

While being very critical of Kubiak's decision to not activate Wood, I must say that he did an excellent job preparing Keenum to playing and putting together a winning gameplan for him. Who would of thought the entire game would be played from pistol... Genius, given Keenum's comfort in shotgun but also to combat the noise level.
welcome to the darkside... you do realize that you'll now be accused of being a UofH homer even though you never ever stepped foot on their campus, as well as being a Schaub hater, a Kubiak hater, as well as just not being a Texans fan in general. so buckle up and enjoy the ride comrade
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #30
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum did well, and was fun to watch. But, we can't forget about the Big Picture, and the following two things:

1) We are 2-5.

2) We have had the same head coach for 8 YEARS!!!

Those two things are unacceptable.

I know everyone wants to give Gary Kubiak a pass today, but, the truth is, he is not a qb guru, and he has been a head coach for 8 years.

Also: we are right against the salary cap; which means we have spent tons of money on talent.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer. I liked Case today. But, the truth is, we are likely sitting at home come playoff time.

That's not cool, folks.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #31
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Section: 119
Rep Power: 857 Steal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The two biggest coaching blunders today:

1. not activating Cierre Wood
2. Playing Newton instead of Harris on the final two drives of the 4th quarter. (Newton's athleticism is sometimes an asset in the run game- but, given the fact that we had no running back and the Chief defense were in attack mode, Harris needed to be in the game- he was in the 1st half on both scoring drives, I think)
3. Not running screens when KC was blitzing us silly.
Steal Your Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #32
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
welcome to the darkside... you do realize that you'll now be accused of being a UofH homer even though you never ever stepped foot on their campus, as well as being a Schaub hater, a Kubiak hater, as well as just not being a Texans fan in general. so buckle up and enjoy the ride comrade

I have been one of the harshest critiques of those advocating starting Keenum and benching Schaub, I think, and I never accused anyone of being a Schaub hater... Now, those were gleeful over his injury, I did take issue with.

Regarding Kubiak, I just disagreed with the conspiracy theories. The guy wants to win as much as anyone. He just thought Schaub was their best option. So did I. I don't think either he or I believe that anymore.

I remain a huge Kubiak fan. I know that he is responsible for this very disappointing season. I know that he is not the quickest to make adjustments. I realize he struggles to assess his players. I know he does not inspire the fan base. If the team fails to rally and make the playoffs, I think fans would be justified in wanting him fired and replaced by someone else. Still, I like him and enjoy rooting for him, watching his team, listening to his press conferences, etc... I will continue to root for him even when he moves on, whenever that is. So, I doubt anyone will be calling me a Kubiak-hater.
Old 10-20-2013   #33
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steal Your Face View Post
3. Not running screens when KC was blitzing us silly.
They tried one to Posey... it was blown up.

I imagine they had them in the game plan but they were screens to the running backs... and, we didn't have any!
Old 10-20-2013   #34
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have been one of the harshest critiques of those advocating starting Keenum and benching Schaub, I think, and I never accused anyone of being a Schaub hater... Now, those were gleeful over his injury, I did take issue with.

Regarding Kubiak, I just disagreed with the conspiracy theories. The guy wants to win as much as anyone. He just thought Schaub was their best option. So did I. I don't think either he or I believe that anymore.

I remain a huge Kubiak fan. I know that he is responsible for this very disappointing season. I know that he is not the quickest to make adjustments. I realize he struggles to assess his players. I know he does not inspire the fan base. If the team fails to rally and make the playoffs, I think fans would be justified in wanting him fired and replaced by someone else. Still, I like him and enjoy rooting for him, watching his team, listening to his press conferences, etc... I will continue to root for him even when he moves on, whenever that is. So, I doubt anyone will be calling me a Kubiak-hater.
I've been supportive of Kubiak pretty much the entire time he's been here. He's done a lot for the offense with a QB that is average. That's saying something. I think Kubiak's flaw as holding onto players / coaches has caused us a lot of the problems we have.

I hope that Keenum gets more playing time this season. I think he needs to be vetted as a player for the rest of the season. I think you still draft a QB next season and have competition.

I think we will likely not be resigning a lot of players for cap / not worth the cost issues. I would like us to be agressive in FA and the draft. Next year maybe a rebuilding year and it would be a good time to find our QB for the future.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #35
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Section: 119
Rep Power: 857 Steal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They tried one to Posey... it was blown up.

I imagine they had them in the game plan but they were screens to the running backs... and, we didn't have any!
We could have thrown screens to Tate. Greg Jones is a FB but I am sure he could run a screen. I'm not a Kubiak hater - but this really puzzled me. Other teams usually take our aggressiveness on D and bust us for huge plays on screens ... we usually execute them very well. I thought we would see more than just one to Posey
Steal Your Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #36
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We could have thrown screens to Tate. Greg Jones is a FB but I am sure he could run a screen. I'm not a Kubiak hater - but this really puzzled me. Other teams usually take our aggressiveness on D and bust us for huge plays on screens ... we usually execute them very well. I thought we would see more than just one to Posey
After the injury Tate was pretty much not out there. It must have been understood that he was just lining up as HB just to do so because he must have had like 3 carries at most in the 2nd half?

Will be interesting to see how the offense looks after the bye week.
Old 10-20-2013   #37
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would have liked to have seen a few more fades. 3 step drop and throws like we were running in the first half, etc. My biggest problem with the playcalling was that they had plays that worked to counteract the blitz but didn't call them in the second half.

The fact that KC's overload blitz worked 3 consecutive times on 3rd and long is an embarassment to the coaching staff.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #38
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

When I made a positive "keenum" post I was called a "Kubiak hater", so don't be surprised when it happens to you... and I feel the same as you do about Kubiak. I feel that he was always limited with Schaub and the options he's had at QB and it's sad that once he finally found the player/QB that could've truly allowed him to open up and max out his playbook and play calling ability, it might have came a hair too late.

Schaub has been nothing but a ball and chain.. he's like a governing chip on a high octane sports car. It's time to get rid of the restraints and see what this offense can do.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #39
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

My problems with kubiak are:

1) he's slow to react
2) loyal to a fault
3) will get rid of play makers for more safe guys because he's too afraid of mistakes

If he goes back to Schaub I'll officially be on the fire kubiak wagon. That will show me that he hasn't grown as a coach at all which is what I'm hoping happens because overall I like him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #40
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Tate was done. He was out there as a decoy. He couldn't move. I doubt, also, that Greg Jones would've been effective running screens which I'm sure he had not practiced.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read