Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-20-2013   #1
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 3496 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time being.

Damn you Rick. Crappy cap planning. Making us let go of key Offensive Lineman like Brisiel and Winston. Newton sucked last year and we didn't do anything to improve the right side of the line. Smith got RAPED by Ed Reed. That SOB is stealing money. We are set to lose even more depth after this season. As angry and upset I am at Kubiak, I am as furious with Rick Smith. He needs to go too.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #2
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Dude had to save his job
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #3
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

You should go rub one out in the bathroom. You'll feel much better. Carrying that much anger isn't good for a person. Calm down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #4
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3968 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Who would have thought a PE Coach could not properly manage a cap?

Rick's cap management will hurt us for years after he is gone. Ouch.
SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #5
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 46521 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchaubApologist View Post
Who would have thought a PE Coach could not properly manage a cap?

Rick's cap management will hurt us for years after he is gone. Ouch.
Well I can tell you how to save a couple of bucks, cut Ed Reeds sorry old ass.....
Old 10-20-2013   #6
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

The season is OVAH!
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #7
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13530 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
Damn you Rick. Crappy cap planning. Making us let go of key Offensive Lineman like Brisiel and Winston. Newton sucked last year and we didn't do anything to improve the right side of the line. Smith got RAPED by Ed Reed. That SOB is stealing money. We are set to lose even more depth after this season. As angry and upset I am at Kubiak, I am as furious with Rick Smith. He needs to go too.
It's not his poor cap management that should get him sacked, it's his woeful ability to judge talent. This team is absolutely bereft of talent at positions across the board, especially in the trenches - both sides.
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2013   #8
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

If you think Texans have somehow mismanaged the cap catastrophically, you're insane, or at the very least don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry about this tone, but I'm tired of these threads popping up.
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #9
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 6477 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Well I can tell you how to save a couple of bucks, cut Ed Reeds sorry old ass.....
Next year without Reed and Schaub will be better and we won't be in any sort of cap hell. Sign Tate and you can cut Foster.

That will be 15 million in dead money for 2014 but you have replaced all three players and have no penalty moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
If you think Texans have somehow mismanaged the cap catastrophically, you're insane, or at the very least don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry about this tone, but I'm tired of these threads popping up.
I agree, but if they don't make some bold cap moves this off season it will have long term ramifications.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Schaub going from Matt Schaub to .... Jamarcus Russell closed the window.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #11
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 3496 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Rick has done such a bang up job with the cap, how come we have LOST depth and talent the past few years. It would have been nice to have DeMeco or Brisiel this year. OUR SITUATION IS GOING TO GET WORSE NEXT YEAR.

Rick Smith completely blew the mid round picks this year. He is no sense of urgency and is not proactive enough. Even though he knows nothing about football, I would rather have Daryl Morey in charge of the Texans than Smith.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #12
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Been saying that for years.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
The season is OVAH!
How can you say that? We've got a QB with some promise now and we're in control of our own destiny.

Future's bright.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #14
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

your right signing matt schaub and ed reed and Cushing ...not knocking that but he wont be on the field

those 3 will hurt his next year since that's like money down the drain
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #15
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
your right signing matt schaub and ed reed and Cushing ...not knocking that but he wont be on the field

those 3 will hurt his next year since that's like money down the drain
Both Schaub and Reed are cuttable without major cap implications after this season. I'm not a huge fan of the Reed signing, but I'm sure that's something coaches wanted.

If you're knocking the Cushing signing, I'm not sure how to respond to that.
Old 10-20-2013   #16
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Both Schaub and Reed are cuttable without major cap implications after this season. I'm not a huge fan of the Reed signing, but I'm sure that's something coaches wanted.

If you're knocking the Cushing signing, I'm not sure how to respond to that.

"NOT knocking" jus saying that's now a sad thing wasted money and talent
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #17
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 6477 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You can cut Reed, jonathan joseph, and Manning with basically no penalty.

Schaub will only take up 3.5 million in cap space if you cut him in 2014 and 7 million in 2015. The cap situation is fine if you draft well.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #18
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
You can cut Reed, jonathan joseph, and Manning with basically no penalty.

Schaub will only take up 3.5 million in cap space if you cut him in 2014 and 7 million in 2015. The cap situation is fine if you draft well.
I may have misunderstood you, but I think you're incorrect about Schaub. He has no guaranteed money beyond this year other than the prorated bonus ($3.5MM in both 2014, 2015, and 2016). So, if they cut him after this season, there is a $10.5MM dead money cap hit that can be spread over 2 years. If they take the full hit in 2014, they still SAVE $4MM over keeping Schaub on the roster
Old 10-20-2013   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope case plays well enough to where we don't need a qb in round 1 next year. That would be huge as far as keeping the window open. We need OL, LB's corners...safeties...

If case can build on what he did today that'd be huge for this franchise.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #20
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37668 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
Calm down... Rick is doing a fine job I think. In this day of the NFL, all of the good teams will have to make compromises due to the cap. Read the message boards from a few years ago, the fans were not ecstatic with Eric Winston. Even though he was a good run blocker, he was exposed alot in pass pro. Briesel was over paid to go to Oakland IMO, so I'm glad we didn't try to match his contract. Plus, Brooks has some promise at RG. Lets also not forget, Smith did try to fix the RT issue in the offseason. He drafted Williams and Quesenbery... unfortunately, we lose them both to injury.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read