Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-16-2013   #41
Borowicz50
Kingsville, TX

Rep Power: 0 Borowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hi from a Chiefs fan

Does nobody else realize that if by some miracle we win against the Chiefs (& I will go ahead & assume Denver beats the Colts) then when both the Texans & Colts play each other after their bye weeks it will be for the division lead? Seriously weirder things have happened. I personally think that our season will be defined by the next two games.
Borowicz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #42
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borowicz50 View Post
Does nobody else realize that if by some miracle we win against the Chiefs (& I will go ahead & assume Denver beats the Colts) then when both the Texans & Colts play each other after their bye weeks it will be for the division lead? Seriously weirder things have happened. I personally think that our season will be defined by the next two games.
Anything is possible. Hell, the Texans could win the super bowl this year. But unless we fall into an alternate universe Kubiak is still the head coach which gives me little faith the Texans will do anything of value, other than look good on paper and the stats column.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #43
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Congrats on the great year the Chiefs and you Chiefs fans are having in KC !
As for the Texans, have no idea when we'll get our mojo back ? Very unlikely it happens this weekend against your team, but maybe not until the organization makes massive changes as the Chiefs did this past season and brings in a new regime to turn them around.
And good luck (both times) against Manning and the Broncos when you play them later this year !
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #44
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I had to rep you for honesty. Basing a Texans division run at this point on "miracles and weird things" is more reasonable than basing it on good coaching, great players, and an effective system.
Old 10-16-2013   #45
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You forgot to mention the Titans. They'll have to lose to the 49ers this Sunday as well.

Even if we lose to KC this weekend, and the Titans and Colts lose as well, we still control our own destiny. My guess is we turn things around after the bye week.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #46
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I used to look at next weeks opponents & see how they did this week. If they won, maybe we'll have a chance to beat them. If they lost..... I know they'd be pissed & will most likely kick our butts. If they lost 2 in a row, we don't stand a chance.

I stopped thinking that way after our 10-6 & 12-4 season. I just expected a win.

Now, I feel for the KC Chiefs. We've lost 4 in a row & I feel the Texans finally hit rock bottom. It's gutcheck time.
Except we're a gutless team...
Old 10-16-2013   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Anything is possible. Hell, the Texans could win the super bowl this year. But unless we fall into an alternate universe Kubiak is still the head coach which gives me little faith the Texans will do anything of value, other than look good on paper and the stats column.
Tom Coughlin gets a pass on a lot of the silly things he does, the organization gets a pass on a lot of the things they do, because they've won 2 Super Bowls.

Mike McCarthy gets a pass, because he's won a Super Bowl.

Tony Dungy gets a pass, because he won a Super Bowl.

If Gary Kubiak were to win a Super Bowl, would that change your opinion of him & the way you'd criticize him going forward?
Old 10-16-2013   #48
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tom Coughlin gets a pass on a lot of the silly things he does, the organization gets a pass on a lot of the things they do, because they've won 2 Super Bowls.

Mike McCarthy gets a pass, because he's won a Super Bowl.

Tony Dungy gets a pass, because he won a Super Bowl.

If Gary Kubiak were to win a Super Bowl, would that change your opinion of him & the way you'd criticize him going forward?
Until he wins a super bowl, it's kind of hard to speculate. Right now my answer is no. If Kubiak wins a super bowl maybe the answer would change, or maybe I'd think there is a reason other than Kubiak that his team won a super bowl.

I honestly can't answer something like that, other than to say my opinion of him is very negative and that will color my answers on questions like this.

Old 10-16-2013   #49
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 13325 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It may have been due to the quality of the opponent, but vs SF & StLouis, the OL hasn't looked bad. If Schaub wasn't trying to be RG3, he wouldn't have taken so many sacks. Derek Newton is far from our best player, but he's not the worst. That would go to Wade Smith. He's taken it a notch above last season, but nowhere near $5M worth.

Chris Long Made Newton work, but Long is pretty stout. Newton won more than he lost... like most OLmen do.

Right now, Meyers is our best OLman. He's not getting tossed like he used to, even taking big DTs on one on one & holding his own. 40 snaps or so against Ngata & Ngata is going to make a play or two, but other than that, Meyers has been solid. Brooks still has consistency issues he's working on, but he's close to being a very good player. Brown is also having consistency issues. He's probably our 2nd best OL right now, but Brooks isn't too far behind. I think the big guy... err, the bigger guy is still getting over his knee thing. So that puts Newton as a solid 4. Ryan Harris looks good too. They've got their heart set on Newton at RT but I think Harris can start for a lot of teams. He's a worker, lots of effort, don't quit. Ben Jones has consistency issues as well, but I think even he is playing better than Wade Smith. If I were King, Wade wouldn't be starting. I'd seriously consider Ben Jones playing there, but... Ryan Harris might be the better option & he deserves to be playing.
I agree on Chris Myers, Ryan Harris, and Wade Smith- but I'm wondering what film you've been watching on Derek Newton. For starters, he's been called for 7 penalties in 5 games. He's also been called for penalties on 3rd down 3 times this season, include once last week on a 3rd and 4 on the STL 4 yard line. That is just unacceptable, and vaguely reminiscent of Chester Pitts.

Furthermore, 5 of those penalties are for holding - indicating that he is having a hard time containing his blocking assignment on a regular basis.

Overall, the Texans OL has given up 17 sacks, 41 QB hits, and 28 tackles for a loss. While some of that is on Schaub's less than fancy footwork, most of it is on the o-line and a big part of that is on Newton.

Quote:
Mercilus is having a quietly good season. He's advancing as a player very well. He's not Demarcus Ware... he's not Clay Matthews... he's not Von Miller... so in that respect I can see how some are disappointed. But he's going to be a very good player.

KC is a ZBS team. I think we'll stop the run better against a zone team.
For every good play he's made, he's taken a bad angle on a tackle and given up a big run or been caught out of position by a TE for effortless yards. In general, our coverage of TE's has been lacking and it starts with our LB corp.

Quote:
Haha, very good... but Kj is not a big play guy. Never will be. He's a quite cover guy.... almost no threat whatsoever of intercepting the ball. Danieal Manning is...... but he's out. Jjo is.... but he's not playing like it. Ed Reed is, well he was 10 years ago.

I like Alex Smith, but he's not the kind of guy who can throw that perfect ball to beat pretty good coverage. So don't look for Bowe to have a breakout game unless he plays out of the slot. Bowe's a mismatch on McCain..... Avery's a mismatch on McCain.... I'm a mismatch on McCain, you're a mismatch on McCain.
A good DB is the one who can get vertical and battle to not give up the big catch...at least some of the time. Both JJo and KJ have been subpar in this category thus far.

That and the boneheaded penalties (some questionable ones, granted).

I agree on Alex Smith though. If our defense gets shredded, it will most likely be on the ground.

Quote:
Schaub is Schaub. He's trying to be someone he's not, which I think is the root of all our problems. He's thinking too much, he's forcing too much, he needs to just play. I think we've already answered the question about our QB of the future, we can take care of that crap in the offseason, but if we don't get to & show well in the post-season, none of these suckers are going to be trying to solve that problem, the new regime will. So these jokers need to get their sht straight & start winning frk'n games.
I agree in a sense, but the big question mark now is Schaub's mental constitution. We've never seen Schaub fall into a prolonged slump which was being exacerbated by media pressure and a portion of the fan base literally wishing physical harm on him. To be cheesy about it, Schaub may not have the heart to get back on track - which doesn't bode well for our playoff chances.

Quote:
He doesn't have that big play ability like Charles, but he'll wear your butt out between the 20s. He's not getting carries in the red zone because our QB is going through a midlife crisis & thinks he's JohnElway.

If Arian's in the game, stay honest, maintain your lanes, & watch that backside cut. If Tate's in the game, shoot the front side of the play.
He's not getting carries in the red zone because Kubiak doesn't call it that way - why he doesn't call it that way. Though, ragging on Kubiak's play calling is beating a dead horse at this point.

Quote:
Should probably revisit the QB section. Kubiak's plays will generally have deep routes, intermediate routes, the short routes, & the check down. Put a safety about 15-20 yards deep put a LB 10 yards deep & you won't have to worry about the deep & intermediate stuff, unless you're bored.
If anyone knows Schaub's strengths/weaknesses, it's Kubiak. If he insists on calling plays that Schaub can't execute over and over and over again, he's either stubborn or incompetent (most likely the former, to be fair).
Old 10-18-2013   #50
Lambert
Veteran

Rep Power: 8289 Lambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey Chiefs, you guys are going to kick our struggling butts. Relax, throw a bunch of new plays in, maybe start the seconds. Good luck.
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #51
BlueSteel
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 BlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by will742 View Post
I actually think we're capable of beating the Chiefs if we bottle up Charles.
It's mind bottling.
Old 10-18-2013   #52
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25247 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
You forgot to mention the Titans. They'll have to lose to the 49ers this Sunday as well.

Even if we lose to KC this weekend, and the Titans and Colts lose as well, we still control our own destiny. My guess is we turn things around after the bye week.
As of right now we control our own destiny, the two games we are behind of course can be made up by beating the Colts twice. Not to say it will happen but yeah...teams have had slow starts and then pull off a 6-7 game win streak or something. Definitely not impossible...especially if a QB provides a spark and say y'know...gets better game by game...
Old 10-18-2013   #53
edwardc5637
Rookie

Rep Power: 2229 edwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respected

Stop the chief's running game and we win.
edwardc5637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #54
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I checked out the Chiefs message board to get a pulse on what the other side is thinking. First off, they seem to have some weird fetish about rape and clowns. Anyway, they're a pretty confident bunch to say the least, 2-14 is an eternity ago it seems. One can only hope their team is as over confident as the fan base is.
Old 10-18-2013   #55
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
I checked out the Chiefs message board to get a pulse on what the other side is thinking. First off, they seem to have some weird fetish about rape and clowns. Anyway, they're a pretty confident bunch to say the least, 2-14 is an eternity ago it seems. One can only hope their team is as over confident as the fan base is.
On paper, there is no reason for them not to be confident.

Keenums coming out party will tell the tale.

Old 10-18-2013   #56
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
An over-confident fanbase? I'm glad that never happens here.
Old 10-20-2013   #57
datchapin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2013 datchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respected

Any given Sunday.

We still have a solid football team. Our offensive line gives us a shot to make things happen with the exception of Newton. He's had a number of penalties that have hurt us and his pass blocking leaves something to be desired. Our rushing is ranked sixth averaging 136.8 yds/gm and it's my opinion that our getting away from it due to game circumstances prevents us from being better rather than other teams Ds. Tate has fumbled twice, but can and should still spell Foster. Our passing.... it's not bad, but yea it's been depressing thus far. We have the weapons, but our trigger man just hasn't been hurting opposing teams. I can only hope Keenum will be more effective.

I like some aspects of our D, but think the scheme needs to be disguised better. We are the top D yardage-wise, but the 1-2 80+ drives per game are devastating. They lack discipline and at times are let off the hook by opposing QBs. Reed has never been a presence in the run game and with Manning out I think our run D will hurt. If our D plays with better discipline I think we have a great shot at a W.

Play-calling is what worries me and this is reflected in our deficiencies when we get to the red-zone. Between the twenties we can move the rock, but when it gets to the nitty gritty it's tough to watch at times. I hope really, really hope that Keenum can help us improve in this area, but at the end of the day it falls on the coaches to put the players in the best position to succeed.

Here's to a great game and a Texans victory.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #58
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans will destroy the Chiefs on Sunday.
Old 10-20-2013   #59
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
The Texans will destroy the Chiefs on Sunday.
I sure hope so
Old 10-20-2013   #60
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

One way or the other, I'm ordering pizza. I will enjoy the destruction of the Chiefs or Kubiak. One of the two will happen and either is good with me.

I'd prefer the Chiefs die a hard death and a new Texans era begins. Or Kubiak finally dies as head coach. One way or the other, it will be interesting.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read