Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2013   #21
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bum Phillips passed away

RIP Bum

Thoughts and prayers to Wade & family.
Old 10-18-2013   #22
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Rest in peace Bum. It's weird though, I'm not really sad, because the man lived such a full life. He was a true legend.

I feel sorry for the Chiefs offense though.. Remember when Houston had to go play a less talented and undermanned SD team after damn near the whole city burned down? or had to go play the Raiders after Al Davis died? That defense is going to rally around Wade,
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #23
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 74770 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

RIP. Luv Ya Bum. He was one of a kind.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #24
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

RIP Mr. Phillips with all my respect. This is so sad.

Love Ya Bum.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #25
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

RIP Coach Phillips

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #26
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 147070 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Coach Bum Philips is up there with Nolan Ryan as far as local sports legends that were also decent men. Im sure he lived a full life but This is sad news.
Old 10-19-2013   #27
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

A great coach.......a great person.........RIP, Bum.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #28
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

RIP to Bum and his family...gentlemen and a legend.
Old 10-19-2013   #29
centexfan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 centexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedcentexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedcentexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedcentexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedcentexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedcentexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedcentexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedcentexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedcentexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedcentexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedcentexfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: R.I.P Bum

R.I.P. Indeed.

I hope it was a peaceful passing.
Old 10-19-2013   #30
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13530 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Makes me sad. He was such a joyful character - there's a lot to be learned from that. RIP and condolences to his family.
Old 10-19-2013   #31
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
RIP Coach Phillips

Awesome pic!!

By the way, just saw your sig. I hope Kubiak isn't repeating the same thing after this week.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #32
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Awesome pic!!

By the way, just saw your sig. I hope Kubiak isn't repeating the same thing after this week.

I hope we have found the QB to get us out of this funk.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #33
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thank You.
Old 10-19-2013   #34
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

"Jaw dropped" seems like such a funny phrase, but that is exactly what happened to me when I saw this thread title up top. I realize we Houstonians love the man, but I really think he's kind of underrated elsewhere. He truly was a legendary coach. RIP, Bum. I was hoping you'd be here for the Texans first Super Bowl.
Old 10-19-2013   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Thoughts & prayers for the legend.

I hope the Texans finds some way to honor him. I know "technically" his history belongs to the Titans, but he was a stand up guy, he stood behind the Texans, I hope we find a way to stand by him.
Old 10-19-2013   #36
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Sad day for all us old Oiler fans. Bum is such an icon in Texas football, and not just on the pro level either. He's a true Texas football legend and will be sorely missed. Rest in piece Bum!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #37
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41343 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

R.I.P. Bum
"An expert is an ordinary fella away from home."
"The only discipline that last is self discipline."
"Two kinds of ballplayers aren't worth a darn: One that never does what he's told, and one who does nothin' except what he's told."
"You don't know a ladder has splinters until you slide down it."
"How do you win? By getting average players to play good and good players to play great. That's how you win."
"Winning is only half of it. Having fun is the other half."
Thank you Sir!
Old 10-19-2013   #38
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Coach Bum Phillips is up there with Nolan Ryan as far as local sports legends that were also decent men. I'm sure he lived a full life but This is sad news.
It's sad for those who he left behind, but when I deal with someone's death, I like to celebrate their life instead of just going into morn over their death. What's sad is when someone never reaches their full potential or never maxes out their time while they're here.. Bum far exceeded all of that.

NFL Network just aired a montage of his coaching career and clips of his "Bum-isms", I couldn't help but smile. I'm listening to 610 right now and they suggested that a statue of him should be built outside of Reliant stadium.. and I agree. Cowboy hat and all.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 10-19-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #39
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
RIP Bum!

1. Thank you for enlisting in the Corps after Pearl Harbor and coming home after the war after all the action you saw with Captains bars and a chest full of medals. Semper Fi.

2. Thank you for being a hell of a defensive coordinator and head coach who brought us The Tyler Rose, Dan Pastorini, Kenny Bourroughs, Karl Mauck and the Luv ya Blue era.

3. Thank you for making a kid from South Park in southeast Houston love and want to play the game of football.

4. Thank you for "Knocking on the Door" even though you never got to "kick the sum 3itch in."

& finally

5. Thank you for giving me, the City of Houston and virtually everyone on this board a love of the game of football that survived the man who didn't have the balls to call you into his office to fire you taking our team to Tennessee.

Coach were it not for the love of the game that you fostered in this city Bob McNair probably would have never toyed with the idea of bringing football BACK to the 4th largest city in America. For that I and everyone on this board is in your eternal debt and while we can't hope to repay you, we can thank you. We mourn your passing but celebrate your love of this great game. You will forever be "OUR" coach.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #40
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

My parents took us to that rally in the dome after the Oilers lost the AFC Championship, one of my earliest memories. RIP Bum, I loved listening to you on the radio before and after Oiler home games my Dad took me to later on when I was in junior high and high school. Hellva live you lived.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read