Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2013   #61
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Question for the anti-Keenum crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
So after reading the thread so far, it seems most are more upset about the supposed "hype" about Case than Case himself.

But I'm still confused because I don't know that the majority of "pro-Keenum" fans think he is the answer. If someone is posting highlights of Brady or something I could see doing that just as a rebuttal to someone making a blanket statement that Keenum sucks because he was undrafted. Both arguments are ridiculous and invalid IMO.

But the point is, majority of "Keenumites" or whatever you want to say just want to A) see a change almost for change's sake and B) want to give the kid a shot because let's face it C) realistically, this season is quickly swirling the bowl.

I guess that is more the angle I'm looking at it from and I assume most other Keenum "fans" are.
It's not "supposed" hype...i rode into work this morning listening to guys comparing him to Tom Brady...going on sunshine filled rants about how he was going to be the next great qb in this league...The hype is definitely real.

But to get back on topic, lots of people have nailed it for me. The hype surrounding what he "can" do/be is trumping the reality of what he's likely to do/be......I refuse to hyped about it until i get something to base the hype on....& sorry, youtube videos of college tape & a few preseason plays don't do it for me...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #62
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Keenum's day is going to live or die behind how Kubiak runs the offense. If he tries to hide the quarterback then we will all be frustrated. I don't know why anyone would think we would open up the offense now. Kubiak is gonna run that same underneath route, two te plodding offense that won't challenge the back end. This is gonna be a runfest with a big serving of 23. Chiefs have struggled vs the run so this gives us our best chance to win so I think we will be pretty darn conservative. If we get behind it's gonna get rough.
I'm not sure what is the best strategy for this game, I haven't seen a lot of the Chiefs. All I know is that they have a very talented and young defense and their secondary is boss (as far as talent).

I do think that Schaub is a huge reason as to why we don't open up the offense. He is just not good at it. His throws don't have a lot of velocity and his deep balls are pretty consistently inside and often under thrown. I'm sure Kubiak knows that, he's seen it more often than we have. We really haven't seen enough of Kubiak without Schaub to know how he will handle things with Case. We've got the players to challenge people downfield. We don't have great speed but Hopkins and Andre both have had success on deep routes, even when the ball is not well thrown.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Which walking out with a victory is of course the goal but what QB actually gives you confidence? I thought you had jumped off the Schaub train? Are you on the Yates train or just anyone but Keenum train? (Not attacking you, just confused)
All I'm saying is that I hope Kubiak made this decision because he thinks Keenum gives us the best chance to win.

Quote:
So, in a SB or bust year, with the talent on this team, just getting to the playoffs is good enough? And if so, we're expecting to win with Schaub or Yates?
I was expecting this team to win the Super Bowl with a QB who efficiently operated this offense. With Schaub or Yates, I felt we had a good chance. But that was before we saw what we saw over the last 6 weeks. With Keenum, just getting to the play offs would be a success to me & I think the team would be able to carry him farther. I don't know how much farther.

I'm hoping that Case Keenum can be our Colin Kaepernick

Quote:
This seems like the acceptance of mediocrity mindset to me. Especially if you think we're going to draft a QB next year as you said. So why wouldn't we see what Keenum has again before we draft someone?

I'm confused.
Once we're out of the division/play off race, yes, lets run everyone out there who might make a decent QB so we the fans can see what we've got. While we've still got a chance, no matter how small I want whoever gives us the best chance to win. I don't care if it's Tj, Keenum, Schaub, or Lechler.
Old 10-18-2013   #64
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 56069 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
It's not "supposed" hype...i rode into work this morning listening to guys comparing him to Tom Brady...going on sunshine filled rants about how he was going to be the next great qb in this league...The hype is definitely real.

But to get back on topic, lots of people have nailed it for me. The hype surrounding what he "can" do/be is trumping the reality of what he's likely to do/be......I refuse to hyped about it until i get something to base the hype on....& sorry, youtube videos of college tape & a few preseason plays don't do it for me...
Ew, what station was that? I know 610 gets no respect but that is the only one I listen to and I listen from 7 to 4 every day and I didn't hear that so I assume that was one of the guys on the other stations?

No college videos shouldn't do it for anyone, however, if someone is going to use the "he didn't get drafted/was a low round pick" argument then yes, showing that video is a valid rebuttal. Draft order proves nothing in the end sometimes.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #65
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ew, what station was that? I know 610 gets no respect but that is the only one I listen to and I listen from 7 to 4 every day and I didn't hear that so I assume that was one of the guys on the other stations?

No college videos shouldn't do it for anyone, however, if someone is going to use the "he didn't get drafted/was a low round pick" argument then yes, showing that video is a valid rebuttal. Draft order proves nothing in the end sometimes.
while draft order isnt concrete going undrafted is usually a sign you will not be a starter in the nfl and while you can beat the odds they are enormously stacked against you
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #66
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 56069 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
All I'm saying is that I hope Kubiak made this decision because he thinks Keenum gives us the best chance to win.

I was expecting this team to win the Super Bowl with a QB who efficiently operated this offense. With Schaub or Yates, I felt we had a good chance. But that was before we saw what we saw over the last 6 weeks. With Keenum, just getting to the play offs would be a success to me & I think the team would be able to carry him farther. I don't know how much farther.

I'm hoping that Case Keenum can be our Colin Kaepernick

Once we're out of the division/play off race, yes, lets run everyone out there who might make a decent QB so we the fans can see what we've got. While we've still got a chance, no matter how small I want whoever gives us the best chance to win. I don't care if it's Tj, Keenum, Schaub, or Lechler.
I guess our main disagreement then is what direction this season is realistically heading which is fair. I may be more jaded than others.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
Old 10-18-2013   #67
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
while draft order isnt concrete going undrafted is usually a sign you will not be a starter in the nfl and while you can beat the odds they are enormously stacked against you
On the other hand, there have been a gazillion of players that held on to their spot only because of their draft status; that limits the opportunity for the other guys; just ask Foster.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #68
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
On the other hand, there have been a gazillion of players that held on to their spot only because of their draft status; that limits the opportunity for the other guys; just ask Foster.

the foster example is way over used here and foster himself I believe made mention before that he wasnt putting in the work that he should have been in practice and once he realized the opportunity that was possible he got his sh!t together

Further UDFA RB moving to NFL leader is rare so lets not use it as though its common. Same goes with UDFA QB making it to a starting roll and then keeping it
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #69
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It was 790....Cooke & Kalu show....

I've never used the draft or low round pick argument..but it still doesn't mean that it can't be used.

I'm simply basing my thoughts on logic & reality.

For all the talk about how terrible Yates is, what does it say about Keenum seeing as though he couldn't separate himself away from him when the 2 were battling for the #2 spot? Yes Kubiak likely went with what he knew in Yates over the unknown Keenum, but if he was truly that much better than Yates, i have a hard time believing Kubiak would've waited as long as he did to elevate..much less not go ahead & give him the #2 spot over Yates.

I'm also sick of the mobility thing too...Yes, he's more mobile than Schaub & Yates, but this isn't Mike Vick we're talking about here....Moving around & working the pocket is more than just being able to move faster....Watching seattle last night, for every good play Wilson made with his mobility, he was sacked or hit in the backfield trying to get out of the way of the rush.
Old 10-18-2013   #70
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
the foster example is way over used here and foster himself I believe made mention before that he wasnt putting in the work that he should have been in practice and once he realized the opportunity that was possible he got his sh!t together

Further UDFA RB moving to NFL leader is rare so lets not use it as though its common. Same goes with UDFA QB making it to a starting roll and then keeping it
The other thing about the Foster example is that most thought he was a 2nd-3rd round talent coming out...Him going undrafted was largely b/c he interviewed bad at the combine or somewhere...

i believe he also has said in the past that he had many offers to go sign with other teams...he chose to come to Houston b/c he felt like he had the best shot to become a starter here.....& the zone blocking system fit him better.
Old 10-18-2013   #71
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:

I've never used the draft or low round pick argument..but it still doesn't mean that it can't be used.

I'm simply basing my thoughts on logic & reality.

For all the talk about how terrible Yates is, what does it say about Keenum seeing as though he couldn't separate himself away from him when the 2 were battling for the #2 spot? Yes Kubiak likely went with what he knew in Yates over the unknown Keenum, but if he was truly that much better than Yates, i have a hard time believing Kubiak would've waited as long as he did to elevate..much less not go ahead & give him the #2 spot over Yates.

I'm also sick of the mobility thing too...Yes, he's more mobile than Schaub & Yates, but this isn't Mike Vick we're talking about here....Moving around & working the pocket is more than just being able to move faster....
Wasn't accusing you specifically of making the low draft round argument....I can't be omniscient and read all posts but was addressing that argument in general.

As far as Kubiak on the bolded part.......dude.....you know how stubborn/loyal he is.

Old 10-18-2013   #72
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Wasn't accusing you specifically of making the low draft round argument....I can't be omniscient and read all posts but was addressing that argument in general.

As far as Kubiak on the bolded part.......dude.....you know how stubborn/loyal he is.
Yeah, i know..I acknowledged as much...but so stubborn to ignore such a great talent like many people believe Keenum is here? I don't think so.

I think it's just the fact that he's got nothing to lose at this point. If the kid goes into KC & shows out...great, maybe we can salvage this season & i can ride this on out for another year.

If he doesn't, well he throws up his hands.."i'm all out moves"
Old 10-18-2013   #73
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Exactly. We'd still be wanting him to start just to check him out, but there wouldn't be this much buzz. At work yesterday it was pretty much all the "water cooler" talk with the UH alumni going nuts.

And I'm guilty of it as well. Not that I have a problem with it. It's the first genuinely positive thing to happen around these parts in a while.
i dont agree, he hold NCAA passing yards and TD record, he looked dang good in the Pre season. There have always been camp favorites who have a big fan base based on potential. Keenum is really the last hope for many, Schaub was sucking it up, we know what yates can do.

This is a situation we have not faced to often as a franchise, and right now its the grass is greener on the other side kind of situation.
Old 10-18-2013   #74
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i dont agree, he hold NCAA passing yards and TD record, he looked dang good in the Pre season. There have always been camp favorites who have a big fan base based on potential. Keenum is really the last hope for many, Schaub was sucking it up, we know what yates can do.

This is a situation we have not faced to often as a franchise, and right now its the grass is greener on the other side kind of situation.
but see that's the thing...rare is the grass ever greener on the other side with most things.
Old 10-18-2013   #75
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
but see that's the thing...rare is the grass ever greener on the other side with most things.
i agree with that, but the grass is already dying on this side, so we dont have much of a choice but to see what the grass looks like on the other side.
Old 10-18-2013   #76
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52329 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sure I'll afford Keenum the same rope. Why? Because I'm a rational fan and I realize that backup QBs are backups for a reason until they prove otherwise. And to be clear, I'm not "pro"-anything or "anti"-anything other than being pro-Houston Texans and anti-losing. I don't care which QB or coach leads us to success so long as we do. If Keenum and Kubiak are the guys, so be it. If Schaub and Kubiak are the guys, so be it. If neither are, so be it.

But if Keenum goes on to win or at least look very good but we lose a couple of those games eliminating us from real playoff contention, sooner or later the Keenum Cultists are going to be pissed that we're not losing to help our draft position.

Perpetually Insatiable (tm)
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #77
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
And to be clear, I'm not "pro"-anything or "anti"-anything other than being pro-Houston Texans and anti-losing. I don't care which QB or coach leads us to success so long as we do. If Keenum and Kubiak are the guys, so be it. If Schaub and Kubiak are the guys, so be it. If neither are, so be it.
This is pretty much me in a nutshell. The only thing I'd add is that it would be pretty much a fairy tail ending if Kubiak, Phillips & Keenum (all with Houston ties) lead the Texans to a Lombardi. If they can't/don't - them give me someone that can/will.
Old 10-18-2013   #78
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i agree with that, but the grass is already dying on this side, so we dont have much of a choice but to see what the grass looks like on the other side.
Exactly....it's simple IMO

Old 10-18-2013   #79
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It must have been Kalu saying the rainbow stuff, because Greg Koch thinks its feeding Keenum to the wolves this weekend. Kalu tends to be more optimistic about things, but Koch considers himself a realist.
Old 10-18-2013   #80
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It must have been Kalu saying the rainbow stuff, because Greg Koch thinks its feeding Keenum to the wolves this weekend. Kalu tends to be more optimistic about things, but Koch considers himself a realist.
No, i was talking about the callers who were calling in...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read