Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-18-2013   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
@BB, I'm thinking about trading down in the first as well. I'd go for Marcus Roberson in the mid 20's and then take Aaron Murray in the early 2nd and then the best available OT or OLB with the other 2nd rounder. Trades are always fun to contemplate but the hard part is finding a trade partner. Who's going to want to trade up that high, and for what player?
Exactly but Browns do have two firsts a second and two thirds so could be a partner. Maybe they are still interested in Tate (if they ever were?). Ric SMith should be able to work something there if he wants to.
Old 10-18-2013   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Boyd could be the 4th or 5th QB taken in this draft .... behind Bridgewater , Mariota & Hundley and or Manziel too pending the underclassmen declare.

Who do you take given the option behind what appears at this point to be the obvious top three ?? (Choices - Boyd , Manziel , Mettenberger , Carr , Murray , McCarron & Morris)
This is what excites me in mocking. Last week I watched several QBs and had this reaction:

McCarron solid and steady but weak opponent.

Boyd not as good as I wanted but still second best QB playing against good team.

Manziel best QB I watched, just kept coming & beat a good team. Height is only disadvantage for me.

Morris just does not do anything for me. I watched him last night (UNC) and went nuh uh.

Murray did not watch but really like him.

Mettenburger did nothing to move me so far this season.

Who would I pick IF Keenum flops? Manziel is too risky for us. If I could get McCarron in third over Murray in second, that would give the Alabama QB the edge. I think Bama destroys Arkansas.
Old 10-18-2013   #43
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39211 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Morris just does not do anything for me. I watched him last night (UNC) and went nuh uh.
Awful awful awful. He missed wide open throws. They won in spite of him (sadly...)
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #44
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
Awful awful awful. He missed wide open throws. They won in spite of him (sadly...)
how did you think Tre Boston did last night? I saw his interception but announcers said that he had "messed up earlier" and I think it led to a TD. Do you think he can play corner at nickle? I am looking for DBs that can play CB and Safety. I still have Ahmad Black ahead of him.
Old 10-18-2013   #45
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39211 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
how did you think Tre Boston did last night? I saw his interception but announcers said that he had "messed up earlier" and I think it led to a TD. Do you think he can play corner at nickle? I am looking for DBs that can play CB and Safety. I still have Ahmad Black ahead of him.
Tre Boston is interesting. Last season he was not impressive at all, a total JAG. This season something seems to have clicked. I thought he played a strong game last night, and he was one of the few bright spots against ECU. He's all over the field making plays.

I'd have to go back and watch the game again to see where he messed up.

He doesn't play man cover a lot so I can't comment on his corner skill. I haven't noticed it much this year and so I'm not real comfortable commenting on that. I know in years past he played some corner, and I think he has some this year but I need to go back and watch.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #46
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
Yeah, I never was big on Morris. Didn't understand the hype I was hearing about him earlier in the season. I like the UNC QB more.
I'm glad Miami won though (sorry) so that they have a better chance at being undefeated when they show up in Doak.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #47
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Boyd could be the 4th or 5th QB taken in this draft .... behind Bridgewater , Mariota & Hundley and or Manziel too pending the underclassmen declare.

Who do you take given the option behind what appears at this point to be the obvious top three ?? (Choices - Boyd , Manziel , Mettenberger , Carr , Murray , McCarron & Morris)
Boyd is gonna be the 2nd qb taken once the workouts start. Hundley is a smokescreen king,mariotta needs another year,manziel will hae his leadership questioned and his ability to read and thrw accuratley.
Old 10-18-2013   #48
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:

Boyd is gonna be the 2nd qb taken once the workouts start. Hundley is a smokescreen king,mariotta needs another year,manziel will hae his leadership questioned and his ability to read and thrw accuratley.
Old 10-20-2013   #49
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

A good website that updates draft positions weekly:

http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #50
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

McCarron or Murray
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #51
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

As of 10-20-13 we are 2-5 and currently in the 5th spot if the draft were held today. I like what Case showed today but I'd need to see alot more before QB was removed from our 1st or 2nd round draft need list. We are also getting into the Bridgewater, Hundley, and Mariota pick territory, where they are serious considerations.

I know the trade value charts aren't written in stone but they're the best guide we've got for now. That #5 pick is worth 1700 points. If we could find a trade partner, we might be able to trade down to the early 20's and pick up a high 2nd and high 3rd in compensation, or a high 2nd and a 2nd in 2015. We've got alot of holes to fill....

As for SteelB's question, I'll take Murray over McCarron but only if we wait until the 2nd round to select a QB. McCarron does have that smoking hot girlfriend though that I assume would move to Houston with him, so that could be a consideration.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #52
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147080 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
As of 10-20-13 we are 2-5 and currently in the 5th spot if the draft were held today. I like what Case showed today but I'd need to see alot more before QB was removed from our 1st or 2nd round draft need list. We are also getting into the Bridgewater, Hundley, and Mariota pick territory, where they are serious considerations.

Of those three , the only one I like is Bridgewater .... think Hundley needs another year or two and Mariota .... just isn't accurate enough.

Quote:
I know the trade value charts aren't written in stone but they're the best guide we've got for now. That #5 pick is worth 1700 points. If we could find a trade partner, we might be able to trade down to the early 20's and pick up a high 2nd and high 3rd in compensation, or a high 2nd and a 2nd in 2015. We've got alot of holes to fill....
Not only do you have to think about trading back , you have to consider trading up to get your guy at QB , even if its making the move to #1.

Quote:
As for SteelB's question, I'll take Murray over McCarron but only if we wait until the 2nd round to select a QB. McCarron does have that smoking hot girlfriend though that I assume would move to Houston with him, so that could be a consideration.
Same here , I prefer Murray over McCarron and think either could be had in the second assuming the underclassmen thought to be taken earlier all declare. If one or more stays in school another year , that could change the complexion of the draft.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #53
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like Hundley, but he needs to go back for another year. Just too raw. I would take Bridgewater, but he won't be there at #5. I'm not touching Mariotta or Manziel.

Honestly, if we're picking #5, I see 2 options.

1. Anthony Barr - OLB, UCLA
2. Jake Matthews - OT, Texas A&M

Barr is a freak at OLB and we desperately need the pass rush help. I assume he will be gone so I take a Jake Matthews. If he's gone at #5, then I take Taylor Lewan (OT, Michigan). He has experience in a zone system and could play either OT position.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #54
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 2436 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

While Id love to see Jake Matthews taken, I feel like we will be more in the Ha-HA Clinton Dix range specially since hes been reinstated.
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #55
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I really like Hundley, but he needs to go back for another year. Just too raw. I would take Bridgewater, but he won't be there at #5. I'm not touching Mariotta or Manziel.

Honestly, if we're picking #5, I see 2 options.

1. Anthony Barr - OLB, UCLA
2. Jake Matthews - OT, Texas A&M

Barr is a freak at OLB and we desperately need the pass rush help. I assume he will be gone so I take a Jake Matthews. If he's gone at #5, then I take Taylor Lewan (OT, Michigan). He has experience in a zone system and could play either OT position.
Curious, what do you have against Mariota? I think a good OT can be had in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, way to early for a RT, and completely agree with you on Barr. Barr would free us up to move Reed to ILB alongside Cushing and provide a pass rush at the same time. If we're drafting in the top 5 then we should have a good shot at Barr.

Mercilus, Cushing, Reed, Barr would make a very good starting LB corp.. We'd need some depth but we've still got Tuggle, Mays, and Braman. They aren't great but they're worth keeping around for another year because we don't have enough draft picks to fix everything in one offseason.

I can't see Clinton-Dix being taken that high. When was the last time a Safety was taken in the top 5? He might have been reinstated but I think the Texans might be leery of players with red flags after today (Montgomery, Jefferson, Wood).
Old 10-22-2013   #56
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147080 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

really cant make up my mind where to use the #1 ... They have been exposed at so many positions this year. UgH I change my mind every other minute.

The obvious considerations - QB , OLB , RT , ILB ...

Schaub must go , Yates isn't the answer & the jury is still out on Keenum.

Newton is a turnstile. #1 might be high for a RT.

Cushing is snakebit and the entire defense goes to sh!t when he isn't on the field. Need another dynamic athlete inside.

Reed & Mercilus .... aren't getting to the QB regular enough.

Will Antonio Smith be back ?!?

Wade Smith shouldn't be resigned. #1 would be high for anything but an exceptional guard.

Ed Reed is a thief , someone call Detroit and get Glover Quin back!!

Sure could use a big nasty NT to fix the interior of that defense.

Cornerback .... J.Jo is underperforming and due $14m while KJax becomes a FA.

Old 10-22-2013   #57
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
really cant make up my mind where to use the #1 ... They have been exposed at so many positions this year. UgH I change my mind every other minute.

The obvious considerations - QB , OLB , RT , ILB ...

Schaub must go , Yates isn't the answer & the jury is still out on Keenum.

Newton is a turnstile. #1 might be high for a RT.

Cushing is snakebit and the entire defense goes to sh!t when he isn't on the field. Need another dynamic athlete inside.

Reed & Mercilus .... aren't getting to the QB regular enough.

Will Antonio Smith be back ?!?

Wade Smith shouldn't be resigned. #1 would be high for anything but an exceptional guard.

Ed Reed is a thief , someone call Detroit and get Glover Quin back!!

Sure could use a big nasty NT to fix the interior of that defense.

Cornerback .... J.Jo is underperforming and due $14m while KJax becomes a FA.

LOL, That's me as well, I keep changing my mind.

I know it's easier said than done but with so many holes on the team and an expectant high pick, I think we have to trade down and pick up extra 2nd and 3rd round picks. Also as much as I want to use the 1st pick on a CB, if we re-sign KJ then we'll have our starting CB's locked up for a couple more years and might just have to forego a CB in this draft because of so many needs elsewhere.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 10-22-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-22-2013   #58
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 53247 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO there are two extreme holes on this team - linebacker and offensive line (mostly right tackle). i'd use the first four picks on those positions unless a BPA demands otherwise. each is the heart of their respective schemes, and yet the weakest links in regards to talent. we MUST get better at left guard and right tackle, and with any LB not named cushing (who it appears will be back next season).
Old 10-22-2013   #59
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a dynamic edge rusher would fix a lot of problems. We need a strongside OLB that can get pressure and help disrupt the opposition. We also need that guy to take away some attention from Watt so he can do the same. I think secondary players can be found later in the draft, but if there's a great edge rusher available when we pick in the 1st, I'd go that route. It would go a long way towards fixing the defense. ILB is a much lower priority to me, I think you could get a good one in the 4th.
Old 10-22-2013   #60
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
IMO there are two extreme holes on this team - linebacker and offensive line (mostly right tackle). i'd use the first four picks on those positions unless a BPA demands otherwise. each is the heart of their respective schemes, and yet the weakest links in regards to talent. we MUST get better at left guard and right tackle, and with any LB not named cushing (who it appears will be back next season).
No quarterback ?! Do you think Keenum is the long term solution that gives you a shot at winning a superbowl ?! He played a solid game against KC but Im still not sold that he's the solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think a dynamic edge rusher would fix a lot of problems. We need a strongside OLB that can get pressure and help disrupt the opposition. We also need that guy to take away some attention from Watt so he can do the same. I think secondary players can be found later in the draft, but if there's a great edge rusher available when we pick in the 1st, I'd go that route. It would go a long way towards fixing the defense. ILB is a much lower priority to me, I think you could get a good one in the 4th.
Keenum .... Or is it that since this is such a QB rich draft , you get one in the 2nd round - McCarron or Murray ?

I get the idea behind both of your choices , just have to wonder if not taking a QB sets you back a year or three ..... Its going to take time for one to develop .... Its probably wise to get that guy first and fill the other holes with later picks , via FA or in the next draft.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read