Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2013   #261
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum to start Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post

As to why Keenum is getting the start, it's probably because Kubiak is feeling the pressure to make a change !
I think the reason is simple - Schaub is hurt and we know what we have in Yates .... Keenum on the other hand is a complete unknown.

Starting Keenum at this point isn't even a gamble .... its win or .... at least we tried.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #262
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
I'm thinking along with you that the coach may have been pressured from above. I'm thrilled, and it has nothing to do with the fact that I took my doctorate from U H; that was before Case played for them. It would be just as nice if we could start Johnny Football.
When has Bob ever showed any signs of getting involved in coaching decisions? Lately Gary is doing a lot of things that deserve to be criticized but the hate from some on this board is laughable.
Old 10-17-2013   #263
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Give either one of them Derek Newton or Wade Smith and they'll fold like a house of cards.

Pretty sure the Broncos are missing 3 of their starting offensive linemen including both tackles.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #264
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I will actually watch this game now just to see what Case does. I was gonna skip this game, and that would have made two weeks in a row. Whether he comes out and kicks ass or falls short, is to be be seen. At least its some kind enthusiasm for me to tune in.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #265
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
it must suck to always be a day behind all the news
Yep, but I will take it with news like this.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #266
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaLikeRightNow View Post
I look at the upcoming game this way:

Yes, we're all afraid of Case becoming "Kubieized" with dull and lackluster play-calling, but the excitement I am beginning to feel at this point is the ways in which those same plays could/will break down, and it's left to Keenum to work his way out of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm not afraid if that at all.

Neither am I. This [quote below] is all I needed to hear. Kubiak will allow Case to play within the system the way the entire system was meant to be played with the right QB..........utilizing not some, but all the facets of the system..........i.e., a mix which includes finesse, deceit, creativity and openness..........the latter two of which we have not seen because of the limitations of the QB.

Quote:
Kubiak (on if he’s talked to QB Case Keenum about when he made his first NFL start) “Case was probably about one year old when I had my last start, so those times are gone. I’ve got confidence in him. I think we all understand Matt (Schaub) is going to help him a lot. Matt and I talked last night and I want him to help him. T.J. (Yates) will help him. He’s got a lot of people, but the bottom line is you’ve got to go play and react. That’s what we trust. We trust his reactions. He’s going against one of the top defensive football teams at their place, all of that. We just want him to go out there and react. That’s the reason he’s on this team because of what he’s capable of doing when he gets in those situations. He’ll get ready to do his part and everybody needs to do theirs.”
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #267
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think the reason is simple - Schaub is hurt and we know what we have in Yates .... Keenum on the other hand is a complete unknown.

Starting Keenum at this point isn't even a gamble .... its win or .... at least we tried.
Kubiak has a fetish for the known, TJ would still be starting if it were just about Schaub being hurt. Naming Keenum the starter (especially this soon after he started splitting first string reps in practice) is a big deal given Kubiak's history. Either he feels the pressure or Keenum was an unstoppable beast in practice. I hope it's the latter, but it's probably the former.
Old 10-17-2013   #268
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
I don't know if keenum is a warrior but ill be pleased if he doesn't go down like Schaub aka the fainting goat.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #269
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
When has Bob ever showed any signs of getting involved in coaching decisions? Lately Gary is doing a lot of things that deserve to be criticized but the hate from some on this board is laughable.
Yeah , I don't think Kubiak gets a fair shake around here .... Sure he makes some mistakes but this season he's been handcuffed. I don't think there is anything he can do to make some people happy.

Even starting Yates or Keenum two weeks ago wouldn't have made much difference ..... if either had failed , everyone would say he started the wrong one - That may happen anyway & Keenum may make us wish Schaub was back under center throwing TD's to the other team. (I hope that isn't the result we get)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Pretty sure the Broncos are missing 3 of their starting offensive linemen including both tackles.
I was watching the Bronco's a couple weeks back and they had a clock on Manning , he got the ball out in 1.2 seconds on several occasions. If that pass is accurate , its almost impossible to defend against .... So much of Manning's success is determined pre-snap.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #270
PockyAF
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3089 PockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respected

http://youtu.be/3wWXsbZuncc?t=5m39s
PockyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #271
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak has a fetish for the known, TJ would still be starting if it were just about Schaub being hurt. Naming Keenum the starter (especially this soon after he started splitting first string reps in practice) is a big deal given Kubiak's history. Either he feels the pressure or Keenum was an unstoppable beast in practice. I hope it's the latter, but it's probably the former.
As opposed to having a fetish for the unknown? Who wants their coach to regularly trust unknown commodities?
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #272
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
Find any video of Brady or Manning folding this season like Schaub has done at least twice this year.
Sorry, I don't have a video library of all the games this season. But just doing a quick search on youtube, I found these of Manning. I couldn't find any of Brady real quick on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ptzy11RZs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0fqyML_Oeo
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #273
burro
almost sentient

Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
As opposed to having a fetish for the unknown? Who wants their coach to regularly trust unknown commodities?
It's not black and white like that. Kubiak has stuck with plenty of known quantities long after their expiration dates, long after any other coach would have taken a flyer on the unknown.
Old 10-17-2013   #274
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not black and white like that. Kubiak has stuck with plenty of known quantities long after their expiration dates, long after any other coach would have taken a flyer on the unknown.
Like who? Joe Marciano and who else? He's made changes to the defensive coordinator a few times, running backs, offensive lineman, wide receivers, etc.
Old 10-17-2013   #275
burro
almost sentient

Quote:
Like who? Joe Marciano and who else? He's made changes to the defensive coordinator a few times, running backs, offensive lineman, wide receivers, etc.
Chris Brown, Steve Slaton, Ephraim Salaam, Kasey Studdard in 2009, Jacoby Jones, Kris Brown, Matt Turk, Amobi Okoye, Richard Smith and Frank Bush (both of whom were past their expiration midway through the season), and yes Marciano...just to name a few.
Old 10-17-2013   #276
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Chris Brown, Steve Slaton, Ephraim Salaam, Kasey Studdard in 2009, Jacoby Jones, Kris Brown, Matt Turk, Amobi Okoye, Richard Smith and Frank Bush (both of whom were past their expiration midway through the season), and yes Marciano...just to name a few.
We didn't have anyone outside of Chris Brown to play. You can't hand the ball off to air. Slaton was productive until injury. Salaam was the best option we had. Studdard didn't really hurt us ever, he just took up a roster spot. Okoye was held on to until it made sense financially to get rid of him. Jacoby had clear ability and still does. Richard Smith and Frank Bush were prompty fired after they proved they couldn't cut it. The coach plays the best players on his roster, it's the GM's job to upgrade that roster. Seems your issue is with the GM, which also doesn't make sense because we have upgraded literally every single one of those positions.
Old 10-17-2013   #277
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

I hope that's not the reason we're starting Keenum.

I hope we're starting Keenum because the future is now. Back in the preseason QB "competition" thread I stated my belief was that we were on a course to the Super Bowl. Schaub isn't special, but he was good enough to win a Super Bowl. If for whatever reason he got hurt, Tj was going to be able to step in, help us through a few games, then Schaub was going to come back & finish it. Worst case scenario, Schaub & Tj got hurt & the team rally around Keenum and we're still competitive in the play-offs.

I felt there might be some truth to the Keenum is the future at QB for this team. That that was the reason we didn't bring any other QBs in this offseason. That the plan was to prepare him to start next season & continue our dominance of the AFC South.

Then we lost 4 in a row & Tj blew his opportunity. the future is now.

If Keenum wasn't projected to be our future at QB, & he's starting because he can't be any worse than the other guys, this is going to be a long season & not because we'll be playing in January.
Old 10-17-2013   #278
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3967 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
gary didn't fire frank bush, bob mcnair did.

do you not remember chris brown and ron dayne drawing starts while arian was on the practice squad?

do you not remember kevin walter lined up as our WR2 for all those years?

do you not see derek newton getting abused game after game?

Need I go on??
SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #279
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
People hate being wrong on things they are vested in.
This guy is a perfect example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
This has Bucky Richardson written all over it...
I'm very excited by this move. I give Kubiak all the credit. I think he truly believes in Keenum. That's why he made the roster. Keenum probably reminds Kubiak of himself. A gym rat, made-not-born QB.

Carr was forced on Kubiak by McNair. Schaub was in the league 3 years before Kubiak traded for him. Yates and Keenum were Kubiak creations, and Yates has shown that he doesn't have what it takes to carry a team. He's shaky. Keenum is Kubiak's guy, and you could tell by the way he talked about him in preseason. How he challenged Keenum by going for it on 4th down.

Most everyone sees this game as a litmus test for Keenum. I see it for Kubiak. Everything in the playbook is on the table and he has a QB that is an extension of himself.
Old 10-18-2013   #280
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchaubApologist View Post
gary didn't fire frank bush, bob mcnair did.

do you not remember chris brown and ron dayne drawing starts while arian was on the practice squad?

do you not remember kevin walter lined up as our WR2 for all those years?

do you not see derek newton getting abused game after game?

Need I go on??
Show me some evidence that Bush was fired by McNair and it wasn't at all Kubiak.

Who should have played over Walter? Same goes for Newton now. You have to have better players in order to replace somebody. We tried to replace Newton with Harris, but he is equally as bad.

Also, who brought an undrafted Foster off of the practice squad and gave him carries at the end of the season? Who put their trust in him as an every down, pound it 20-something times per game back the year after?

I'm sorry, but that argument is flawed. People bitching just to ***** about something.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read