Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2013   #181
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum to start Sunday

This has Bucky Richardson written all over it...
Old 10-17-2013   #182
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
It's going to be interesting to see what kind of game plan. I hope we don't see what Vinny suggested and a heavy dose of 23. Well, I don't mind it because it could help us win, but I want to see what Keenum can do. I want him to take the training wheels off the ferrari and open it up. Don't give him the start and then handcuff him with 5 yard routes sprinkled into the 35 runs by Foster and Tate.
I don't know. But now running the pistol offense makes more sense, as if Kubiak was preparing for this all along.
Old 10-17-2013   #183
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
This has -unknown- written all over it...
fify
Old 10-17-2013   #184
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I don't see anything that says Kubiak is going to run anything but his system with keenum at QB. Schuab has been immobile outlier, but generally this version of the WCO has relied on QBs with at least average mobility. Keenum because of this may look like he is running some other play, but honestly, will probably not be doing anything "new."
Kubiak has talked several times about calling plays to the qb's strengths. He's still gong to run his offense, but even in pre season keenum worked with more multi receiver sets than we normally use.

With Yates last year kubiak called some designed qb runs.

I believe him when he says he makes tweaks based on guys skill sets.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #185
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I guess my humor isn't always recognizable. I am a HUGE Keenum fan. But you and others that have said pretty much the same thing are right. This Sunday we find out if our 3rd QB is going to make it. Because we've already seen the 1st two aren't. Schaub is outlived his stay in Houston, TJ isn't going to be a starter. All that's left is to check out Keenum so we'll know where to draft a QB next year.

That said, GO KEENUM!
I did see the humor. I think it's a great move. I'd rather start him now and see how he handles the environment than give him a start against St. Mercy's school for blind orphaned pussycats (aka Jacksonville) have him destroy them and then be blindsided against the Broncos, Patriots, or Colts. The best rise up when the challenges are tougher. Look what Brady did against the suddenly good Saints D in the waning minutes last week.

I dislike Kubiak with a venomous passion, but if Keenum saves his job and salvages this season I'm good with it. I spent too many years watching the postseason wishing we could be part of it. The last 2 years have given us just a taste and I don't want to miss it again.

edit: I don't dislike Kubiak the person. I just don't like him as the head coach. He's a very good man from what I have seen and the one time I've had a chance to meet him.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #186
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I think that if our coaches stop being so predictable we can beat anyone.

I feel that the NFL has figured Wade and Gary out. They know how to scheme against us and our coaches aren't responding.

I want some off the wall play calling so that our guys aren't fighting an uphill battle because of non adjustments.

So, no, not in spite of Kubiak and Co, I think with some imagination our coaches can turn this around.
Maybe we'll finally see this offense run to its full potential .... and people will stop blaming the coaches and start blaming the players for their inadequacies and mistakes. Hell I don't think they would stop even if they won a

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #187
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Kubiak has talked several times about calling plays to the qb's strengths. He's still gong to run his offense, but even in pre season keenum worked with more multi receiver sets than we normally use.

How limited do you think he has been with Schaub under center ?!

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #188
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Maybe we'll finally see this offense run to its full potential .... and people will stop blaming the coaches and start blaming the players for their inadequacies and mistakes. Hell I don't think they would stop even if they won a
Hey, if Kubiak wins a Super Bowl with the Texans, he can go 0-16 the next year, and I won't mind. I'll give him some slack.
Old 10-17-2013   #189
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

One thing I liked with Yates as the starter was the 10 yard out route. Yates was actually pretty effective with that.

I'm not sure what throws will be to Keenum's strength, I never watched him in college, but I think that will help prevent the defense jumping the routes if we see different routes based on Keenum's strengths
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #190
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91652 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I don't see anything that says Kubiak is going to run anything but his system with keenum at QB. Schuab has been immobile outlier, but generally this version of the WCO has relied on QBs with at least average mobility. Keenum because of this may look like he is running some other play, but honestly, will probably not be doing anything "new."
Well, regardless of what you think of it, it would be kind of stupid to change the system that Case has been learning and practicing under since 2012 OTA's. I don't think anybody realistically expects that.

However to say there are components of that system that we haven't seen for awhile, and that cater to what Gary and Rick D. perceive as Case's strengths is a completely realistic expectation. I would hope the play calling - and therefore the outward appearance of the system - change considerably based on attempting to exploit those strengths.
Old 10-17-2013   #191
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope all you "homers" are right. Go Case!
Old 10-17-2013   #192
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105596 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

So, when Schaub gets healthy and gets his job back, how will this board react?

This isn't some passing of the torch (yet).

This isn't Kaepernick or Romo, a backup that was groomed to be a starter.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #193
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

When does the injury report come out? I'm half expecting the Texans to announce that Schaub is done for the season, or at least an extended period of time.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #194
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
When does the injury report come out? I'm half expecting the Texans to announce that Schaub is done for the season, or at least an extended period of time.
They could be withholding until after Sunday. If Keenum plays well enough to warrant another chance then I wouldn't be surprised if Schaub is shelved for the year. It saves Keenum having to be looking over his shoulder. Well, he'd be looking over one (at Yates), but not both.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #195
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think kubiak will be calling anything different with case that he wouldn't call with Schaub...still expect a heavy dose of Arian/Tate....but if case can just make enough plays to keep extending drives....maybe punch a few in for TD's...I think we can come out with the victory.....as long as the defense and ST's don't crap the bed...the difference ultimately will be how case consistently handles it when the heat is on.

the play action boot stuff has been dead not b/c Schaub can't run but b/c teams know its a tendency of kubiak's playcalling....so he shyed away from it completely.

There's a reason 3 of the 5 pick 6's came off of throws to the TE's and why 98% of all our passing TD's are to the damn TE's...

If he's gonna do this spark thinghe needs to go all out and think outside his conservative box.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #196
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Espn radio just had a dr on and said he thought Schaub would be ready in a week or so. He didn't think there was any structural damage based on Matts activity since Sunday
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #197
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Espn radio just had a dr on and said he thought Schaub would be ready in a week or so. He didn't think there was any structural damage based on Matts activity since Sunday
IF Keenum has a good day and we win, I don't think Kubiak will have a choice in the matter even if Schuab is ready.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #198
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48499 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
This has Bucky Richardson written all over it...
Bucky was a bright spot the year he started, and made the game worth going to for us season ticket folks. Love your sig, like the way that dude thinks ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #199
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
How limited do you think he has been with Schaub under center ?!
Very limited

What bothers me is that Gary would rather be limited with Schaub than giving Case a try. It took injury for Case to get his chance.

I'm very interested to see how Case does against a very good K.C. defense. I think we all know what Schaub would've done, so this is addition by subtraction. IMHO
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #200
CeeQue
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 CeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respected

Hope I'm wrong. I say 95% chance we go 2-5 by starting Case... season over.
CeeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read