Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2013   #161
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Case Keenum to start Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
Not sure if serious. Shouldn't you start at the Drew Brees-lite level first........then work up to Brady-lite?
If he's got a pair of nutts, he's going to win a Super Bowl with this team.
Old 10-17-2013   #162
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13530 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
However, on the flip side, perhaps the perceived predictability...
The fact is it's pretty easy to call the play after it's over. Opposing defences have said many times one of the hardest elements of facing Houston's offence is there are so many permutations from the same look. More importantly, if these 'experts' can predict our plays so easily then they're missing out on a fat paycheck from an NFL team...

Old 10-17-2013   #163
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Makes me wonder if this is Elway and Tebow all over again.

except you know Kubiak CHOSE to pick up keenum. tebow was a pre-Elway decision that Elway wanted gone. no correlation at all except you've read too many Denver-Houston links over the last few years

anyway congrats to case. didn't think he'd get the start tbh but im very excited to see how he plays and hope he does well. the offence was regressing under schaub so hope he provides the spark to get us back to the 09/10 big play offence. his mobility and unpredictability should make for an exciting sunday.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #164
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

How piss off will everybody be if Case helps win the game and Schaub starts after the bye? It will be a meltdown. Apocalyptic I say...

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #165
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
No, he's not. That's become abundantly clear over the past few years.

The only reason he's making changes now is because his back is up against the wall and it gives him some time to fend off the 'firing' talk.
Agreed.

One move - going to his third string quarterback because his starter is injured - isn't going to magically elevate Kubiak from his seven years of incredible averageness
Old 10-17-2013   #166
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
How piss off will everybody be if Case helps win the game and Schaub starts after the bye? It will be a meltdown. Apocalyptic I say...

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

If Matt is ready after the bye Case would have to have one hell of a game to keep Matt from going back in
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #167
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

There is a difference between predicting plays and knowing tendencies.

If you know that a team likes to run a certain play in a certain situation and you know that the qb likes to throw here when x happens that allows you to get a jump on things.

Every player isn't aware enough for that though. But there are a lot that are. There are also coaches that will point these tendencies out to players.

So when you are out there on the field you don't know what's coming. You may have a good idea though. But if you are guessing and a team breaks tendency you could get beat big time.

On the Richard Sherman pick he knew Schaub was going to force it or take a sack. He knew Schaub wasn't going to evade the free rusher and find the deep man behind him. So he took a calculated risk based off of tendency.

But that's a tendency not likely to be broken since Schaub is Schaub.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #168
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
So I wonder how many of our posters here are, in their heart of hearts, rooting for Keenum to fail, so they can be validated. People hate being wrong on things they are vested in. I have no idea why they're vested in Keenum's failure, but you can tell from the vitriol around here by a few that they are.

Hope he plays well, hope the Texans win, and hope he beats out the competition in camp next year. I can tell you that I'll be back on the edge of my seat this week, unlike the last seven quarters of football.
Not everyone is like that. I firmly believed that giving Kubiak an extension after 2010 was a mistake, and even had to deal with friends taunting me about it. Now that it appears that I was right, that doesn't make me happy. That makes me frustrated, because this is my team and it upsets me that we're still behind when we could have been settling in with a new coach.

If you're a reasonable, mature sports fan, winning and success should come before any kind of validation.
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #169
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Why are folks second guessing Kubiak's playcalling?
Because people have difficulty discerning the difference between the play call & the QBs decision.

On 3rd & 8 if the QB throws to the 5 yard route, they think it was a bad play call.
Old 10-17-2013   #170
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I understand that perspective.

However, on the flip side, perhaps the perceived predictability was due to the limitations imposed by the QB.

Schaub has tended to telegraph his reads. We see it in the replays where he's locked onto his receiver and never looks away. I am positive that this was the case with at least two of his pick 6's this year.

Heck, even the announcers point out wide open receivers that never got looked at.

Personnel often dictate gameplan. Not having a QB that can even escape the breath of pressure puts severe limitations on play calling.

BTW, I'm not letting Kubiak completely off the hook. It's ultimately ALL his responsibility as a head coach.

That being said, I do look forward to seeing what Case's skill-set can bring to the table with regards to calling plays.

YES! I'm not a Kubiak fan, but I would not have a problem if Keenum becomes his savior, even if it means saving his head coach's job.

I'm not ready for a rebuild. This season still has life left in it, dammit!!
And I'm not letting the players off the hook either. Schaub has played horrible, our o-line has played horrible.......

I just think a blueprint has been set on how to beat this team. Some of those INT were because the DB or safety or LB was sitting on the route and our QB threw the ball anyway. And good QB's are still walking all over us.

We need some adjustments to our thinking is all.

I don't think this season is over by a long shot!

The month of NOV looks very winnable and we can make serious strides against the Colts by beating them.
Old 10-17-2013   #171
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Cries of predictability follow L's. Lose a few games and everyone becomes Captain I Knew the Play.
I knew you were going to say that.
Old 10-17-2013   #172
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
A 2nd year rookie making his initial start against one of the best defenses in the league in a very loud and hostile stadium. What could go wrong? LOL
This way if he torches the heck out of the Chiefs we'll know he can handle some of the other D's we'll face.

It's the best move we can make. You want to see what you have in Keenum before you go into next season. If he looks good enough this week he'll might very well be the starter for the rest of the season. Depending on how he does will tell the team a lot about where they need to look in the draft to get a QB. If he struggles most of the year I wouldn't be surprised with a 1st round QB. If he plays well, the offense starts scoring, and we win games then maybe we look for a 4th round QB.

I think at least 1 and maybe 2 of the QBs on the roster right now will be gone next year.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #173
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see anything that says Kubiak is going to run anything but his system with keenum at QB. Schuab has been immobile outlier, but generally this version of the WCO has relied on QBs with at least average mobility. Keenum because of this may look like he is running some other play, but honestly, will probably not be doing anything "new."
Old 10-17-2013   #174
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
If Matt is ready after the bye Case would have to have one hell of a game to keep Matt from going back in
That's going to be the true test of where Kubiak is right now. If he is serious about turning it around, winning, and saving his job he'd have to keep Keenum in there if he plays well.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of game plan. I hope we don't see what Vinny suggested and a heavy dose of 23. Well, I don't mind it because it could help us win, but I want to see what Keenum can do. I want him to take the training wheels off the ferrari and open it up. Don't give him the start and then handcuff him with 5 yard routes sprinkled into the 35 runs by Foster and Tate.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #175
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
This way if he torches the heck out of the Chiefs we'll know he can handle some of the other D's we'll face.

It's the best move we can make. You want to see what you have in Keenum before you go into next season. If he looks good enough this week he'll might very well be the starter for the rest of the season. Depending on how he does will tell the team a lot about where they need to look in the draft to get a QB. If he struggles most of the year I wouldn't be surprised with a 1st round QB. If he plays well, the offense starts scoring, and we win games then maybe we look for a 4th round QB.

I think at least 1 and maybe 2 of the QBs on the roster right now will be gone next year.
I guess my humor isn't always recognizable. I am a HUGE Keenum fan. But you and others that have said pretty much the same thing are right. This Sunday we find out if our 3rd QB is going to make it. Because we've already seen the 1st two aren't. Schaub is outlived his stay in Houston, TJ isn't going to be a starter. All that's left is to check out Keenum so we'll know where to draft a QB next year.

That said, GO KEENUM!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #176
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmanx View Post
I almost fell out of my chair when I heard it. I just turned 610 on when it was announced. I wonder if this may have been pushed forward by Bob, as I don't see Kubiak being able to make that decision on his own.
I think you're begining to understand the way things work on Kirby.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #177
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Because people have difficulty discerning the difference between the play call & the QBs decision.

On 3rd & 8 if the QB throws to the 5 yard route, they think it was a bad play call.
Not all throws are designed to go past the sticks while in the air. Some are designed for the receiver to make a play and get some yards after catch. The best QB decision isnt always to throw past the first down marker.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #178
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Not all throws are designed to go past the sticks while in the air. Some are designed for the receiver to make a play and get some yards after catch. The best QB decision isnt always to throw past the first down marker.
That's true. It also isn't the best QB decision to always throw short of the marker. That's when DBs start sitting on routes.
Old 10-17-2013   #179
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
That's true. It also isn't the best QB decision to always throw short of the marker. That's when DBs start sitting on routes.
Haha exactly. Matt should read that.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #180
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum interview today.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...-named-starter

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read