Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2013   #101
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91085 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum to start Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
So I wonder how many of our posters here are, in their heart of hearts, rooting for Keenum to fail, so they can be validated. People hate being wrong on things they are vested in. I have no idea why they're vested in Keenum's failure, but you can tell from the vitriol around here by a few that they are.

Hope he plays well, hope the Texans win, and hope he beats out the competition in camp next year. I can tell you that I'll be back on the edge of my seat this week, unlike the last seven quarters of football.
How many people feel validated with Schaub's failures and rooted for Yates to fail so Keenum could get his shot. It goes both ways.

I could care less who the QB of the team is as long as we win. I'm sure most would say the same. The fanboy following that Keenum has on here is ridiculous though. We all want him to succeed, but this "I told you so" is playground BS. I realize that there is a ton of UH alumni/supporters in Houston, but let's try and be objective about things.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #102
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 128458 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsRocketRed View Post
Yeah I know. But I am entering this with an open mind. What else is there to lose? If we B level production from Keenum, I would call this move a success. Even if we lose. The Cheifs are just a better team overall and keeping Shaub or Yates wouldn't really change the outcome that dramatically in my opinion.
My thinking goes like this:

Why are the Chiefs so much better this year?

Reid.

The problem is Kubiak and Phillips and coach Joe.

We are being out coached in every phase of the game. Kubiak has little imagination. Phillips needs to get away from man coverage every GD play. Joe sucks.

If these guys start doing something unpredictable we have a fighting chance this season.
Old 10-17-2013   #103
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
The Chiefs are 6-0 but it doesn't mean much to me. The Texans have to clean up their mistakes. Stop turning the ball over and committing so many penalties. Let's not beat ourselves. Do that and I don't see any reason why the Texans can't win at Arrowhead Stadium. We haven't lost there before.
I agree. Stop shooting themselves in the foot with costly turnovers and stupid penalties.

If the defense can shut down Jamaal Charles, the Chiefs become very beatable.

Hopefully the offense can score early and take some air out of that stadium. As we know, our defense works best with a lead. So getting fast start is going to be crucial. The last thing we need is to put Keenum in a bad position by trying to come from behind against that defense in that stadium. That could get ugly fast.
Old 10-17-2013   #104
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

All the best to my fellow UH alum. /sniff

silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #105
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

KC has not beaten anyone good this year. They have the 31st most difficult schedule. Their offense is downright terrible.

If Keenum can keep from giving them free points this can be a manageable game that we can win. We just need to not give them the leg up like we have been for the past 4 weeks
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #106
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
What does Keenum need to do to show he is the QB for this team?
win
Old 10-17-2013   #107
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5772 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
A 2nd year rookie making his initial start against one of the best defenses in the league in a very loud and hostile stadium. What could go wrong? LOL
Hey Thorn, think about it this way. Even when the Astros were good, all it took was for the other team to put a rookie pitcher on the hill for his first start. Results were typically 1 hit shuttouts, or 15+ strikouts. Maybe Keenum could have the same results for us against KC.

That being said, it's still Kubiak's play calling we are talking about here...so dink/dunk away after a steady helping of #23 all day long.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #108
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
LOL

Awesome news. I hope he does really really well. Makes me excited to see the game. I think a few running plays to get him warmed up, then some short dump off passes, mid range passes and then, run, run, and bam- bomb down the field to AJ. I hope he has good pocket awareness, good protection and not oblivious to the blindsided rush/sack threat. If needed, we can see a nice scramble, busted play, running back-mode for Keenum - at least once!
Running against the Chiefs will be far from easy. They've got that fat boy in the middle who, along with his support cast, does a very nice job.......only 10.8 points/game (as opposed to 29.5 points/game) Kubiak probably knows this and the fact that 2 of the Chief's secondary are injured. If the Texans have any chance of winning this game, Case will have to make a significant contribution.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #109
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15475 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Told ya so.

If you're 2nd string QB is sharing snaps with your 3rd string one it seems a little iffy. If you're 2nd string QB is truly your 2nd string QB then he starts, no doubt about it...yet there was always this doubt...

Because this is really a Alex Smith situation. If Schaub was playing well and we were say...4-2...5-1...Yates starts, because he's more of the same.

Texans don't need more of the same though, they need a shake up to their own system.

Yates was on the team as a back-up...but Keenum was on the team as more of a replacement.
Old 10-17-2013   #110
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't wait to see lucky number 7 throwing 7's all day!!

I am so excited about this. I've been rooting for Keenum to start since week 4, and it's finally happening.

I was told the news by a classmate in my teaching class, and I had to quietly cheer, which still made other classmates look at me. lol

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #111
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 80305 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Yeah he has played pretty good. Oh wait, he threw a pick at the end of the Broncos game, he sucks!
Far be it from me to defend Romo, but did you say that INT? It was spectacular play by the defender on that one, not a bad throw by Romo IMO.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #112
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
Hey Thorn, think about it this way. Even when the Astros were good, all it took was for the other team to put a rookie pitcher on the hill for his first start. Results were typically 1 hit shuttouts, or 15+ strikouts. Maybe Keenum could have the same results for us against KC.

That being said, it's still Kubiak's play calling we are talking about here...so dink/dunk away after a steady helping of #23 all day long.
I'm trying to keep an open mind about all this. I've been drinking the Keenum Kool-Aid since pre-season, and now that I'm finally getting my wish, I'm also getting butterflies.

Although, I just don't see Keenum actually doing a worse job than either Schaub or TJ. But, we'll all find out together in just a few days. I can't wait!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #113
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 128458 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Far be it from me to defend Romo, but did you say that INT? It was spectacular play by the defender on that one, not a bad throw by Romo IMO.
I'm guessing he was kidding.
Old 10-17-2013   #114
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
Finally I agree with Kubiak on something
Me too, and it makes me second guess myself.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #115
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 80305 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post

Reid.

We are being out coached in every phase of the game. Kubiak has little imagination. Phillips needs to get away from man coverage every GD play. Joe sucks.

If these guys start doing something unpredictable we have a fighting chance this season.
I tend to agree with this, and part of the reason the Texans D played better against the Chargers is because someone finally threw them out of the man coverage. You gotta mix it up just to keep the opponent guessing IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree. Stop shooting themselves in the foot with costly turnovers and stupid penalties.

If the defense can shut down Jamaal Charles, the Chiefs become very beatable.

Hopefully the offense can score early and take some air out of that stadium. As we know, our defense works best with a lead. So getting fast start is going to be crucial. The last thing we need is to put Keenum in a bad position by trying to come from behind against that defense in that stadium. That could get ugly fast.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #116
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that I am as excited for this game as any other regular season game ever.

It was time for a change.
Old 10-17-2013   #117
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
KC has not beaten anyone good this year. They have the 31st most difficult schedule. Their offense is downright terrible.

If Keenum can keep from giving them free points this can be a manageable game that we can win. We just need to not give them the leg up like we have been for the past 4 weeks
This time last year the Texans were 5-1 and a lot of people thought they were the best team in the NFL until they were exposed as frauds. There is potential for the same thing to happen to KC.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #118
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post

Reid.

So should they win Sunday against the Chiefs .... It'll be in spite of Kubiak & co ?!

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #119
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 135235 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
SWEET!!!! Just to see the unknown... one way or another. Can't be worse than what we're already seen this year.
Yeah is like to see him succeed but my expectations are to merely suck as bad as Schaub and Yates.
Old 10-17-2013   #120
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Why are folks second guessing Kubiak's playcalling?

At the end of the day, players have to execute. Every play is designed to succeed, but players have to make it happen.

Kubiak's playcalling was good enough in 2011 and 2012 to make the playoffs and win games.

Heck, Shanahan has said many times that Kubiak was calling ALL offensive plays when Elway won those back-to-back Super Bowls.

Honestly, harping on Kukiak's playcalling right now sounds like a set up for a built in excuse if Keenum does not play up to expectations.

Keenum will ultimately decide Keenum's fate, not Kubiak's playcalling. While not the most exciting, those plays can certainly win some games if executed properly.

Just sayin' GO CASE!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read