Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2013   #61
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: What does Keenum have to do to convince you he's the guy going forward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
I think I saw Keenum hit a receiver in stride in preseason but can't remember?
LINK

0:55 mark, and turn down the music if you don't want your ears to bleed. Keenum actually made Jean look like a competent receiver in the preseason.
Old 10-17-2013   #62
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What does Keenum have to do to convince you he's the guy going forward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
LOL, yeah I'm getting that way..

Look, Keenum may or may not be "the guy", oddd are stacked against him that he will, but nobody will know one way or the other until he gets his chance. Im just tired of people acting like it's impossible that he can be or acting like he hasn't earned a look.. especially when you have hot garbage currently playing in front of him. Like I said before, it's not like we're bypassing Brady or Brees in order to see what he can do. We're bypassing a QB who's breaking down in Schaub and T.J. Yates.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #63
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 277266 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
To be fair to Case, I think if Kubiak didn't bring him in, he still would've got a invite to someone else's camp. Just because he was undrafted doesn't mean he wouldn't of got a opportunity in the NFL somewhere else if Houston didn't bring him in, so Kubiak is more like the first coach to give him a chance.
Keenum also sat on the Texans practice squad last year without any team showing any interest at all in him. Kubiak is the first and only coach that has given this player any love in any sense. That's not a bad thing, but it's not really debatable. It just it what is is.

I would like to think that Keenum could end up being Kubiak's savior, simply because that would mean that Case did something special for this franchise.

I'm not trying to disrespect the kid, but let's be pragmatic about it. I do not recall any UDFA 3rd string QB being in high demand at any point in NFL history. That being said, this does not mean that he cannot play pro ball. Only time will tell on that part.
Old 10-17-2013   #64
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Keenum also sat on the Texans practice squad last year without any team showing any interest at all in him. Kubiak is the first and only coach that has given this player any love in any sense. That's not a bad thing, but it's not really debatable. It just it what is is.

I would like to think that Keenum could end up being Kubiak's savior, simply because that would mean that Case did something special for this franchise.

I'm not trying to disrespect the kid, but let's be pragmatic about it. I do not recall any UDFA 3rd string QB being in high demand at any point in NFL history. That being said, this does not mean that he cannot play pro ball. Only time will tell on that part.
Romo is the only one i believe...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #65
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55057 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he could do anything in one game that would convince me he's the guy. You have to see him over the course of the season.
Old 10-17-2013   #66
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19115 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
LOL, yeah I'm getting that way..

Look, Keenum may or may not be "the guy", oddd are stacked against him that he will, but nobody will know one way or the other until he gets his chance. Im just tired of people acting like it's impossible that he can be or acting like he hasn't earned a look.. especially when you have hot garbage currently playing in front of him. Like I said before, it's not like we're bypassing Brady or Brees in order to see what he can do. We're bypassing a QB who's breaking down in Schaub and T.J. Yates.
Fair enough view, I'm of the opinion Kubiak should have enough experience to know Schaub has issues, and started the search for better talent to pressure him in minicamp. But apparently this isn't the case.

It won't matter much who we put if we lose to the chiefs unless everyone else goes on a losing streak.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #67
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What does Keenum have to do to convince just winyou he's the guy going forward?

How about just win the damn game!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #68
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

A volunteering of much more praise than would be expected with a ho hum talent.

Quote:
“When we first got him, he wasn’t taking snaps from center very well,” Dennison said. “Underneath center, he’s done a lot of that and obviously understanding the system, but he’s a bright kid who works very, very hard.”

All-Pro left tackle Duane Brown, who describes Keenum as "a very fiery guy," agrees.

“He’s come a long way, a long way," Brown said. "We all knew about his collegiate career and all of the great things he did. He got here and it was a little rough for him, just trying to learn the playbook and getting used to the NFL game. But in a year’s time, it’s made a huge difference. He’s out there and he looks like a pretty good quarterback. He makes some big-time throws out there. Besides that, I really like his demeanor and personality."

Matt Schaub, who suffered an injury in the Texans’ 38-13 loss to St. Louis, credits Keenum for grasping an offensive scheme competely different from the one he ran in his collegiate career.

"Case, coming from his past where it was at U of H and the type of offense that they ran and coming into our system and trying to almost do a 180 on how to operate at his position in our scheme," Schaub said. "He’s just come such a long way, understanding the run game, understanding the pass concepts, our play-action. It’s just so different from his past. He has a huge football IQ and he can make all of the throws. You have those two things and you give him a playbook and he can go out and do it.”

Schaub could return for Sunday’s game at Arrowhead Stadium. If not, either Yates or Keenum will be the starting quarterback in Week 7. Should Keenum start, he will have to also adjust to playing in a noisy environment on the road.

“I think operating is going to be a big key to this game, just operation before the snap and getting us into the right plays, dealing with the noise and silent cadence, and putting the ball in the right place,” Keenum said. “Managing the game I think is going to be a key this week.”

Keenum, who compares the competition this week to the one in preseason between him and Yates, enjoyed the extra practice time for now.

“I got a lot more practice reps and it was fun,” Keenum said. “It was fun running our offense and getting ready to play a game. That’s how I’m seeing it right now and trying to bring a lot of energy and fun to practice this week and the game. I think today was a good start.”
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #69
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
LINK

0:55 mark, and turn down the music if you don't want your ears to bleed. Keenum actually made Jean look like a competent receiver in the preseason.
MSR
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #70
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

For someone to truly show that they are the "guy" to build around take more than a game or even half a football season. thus far Keenum has done everything that he could do to put himself in position to have a legitimate chance at being an NFL starter...no more, no less.

That said, I simply want Keenum to play a good football game on
Sunday (and anytime he is QBing the Texans). That's the next and only step right now.
Old 10-17-2013   #71
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
This image is wrong. Yoda would say, "butthurt this one, I sense. mmhmmm."
Old 10-17-2013   #72
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Romo is the only one i believe...
Wasn't Kurt Warner a 3rd string UDFA that got his shot? Or was he second string?

I think the only reason Yates was the backup this year is because he known the offense longer, being he ran the same offense at North Carolina and being I the Texans the last few years.

Keenum has only been running this offense for a year and a half.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #73
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Stupid phone

Old 10-17-2013   #74
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Bump

Old 10-17-2013   #75
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

No pick 6's. An INT is okay as long as he has at least 1 TD for each INT.

It's a rookie in his first start in an away game. I'm not going to ask for the moon AND the stars.
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #76
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 208960 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign_lee View Post
No pick 6's. An INT is okay as long as he has at least 1 TD for each INT.

It's a rookie in his first start in an away game. I'm not going to ask for the moon AND the stars.
Interesting. I wonder if (we) the fans will give Keenum more latitude than we are giving Schaub and Yates?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #77
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a fan of his right now because he's the unknown factor. We don't know what we have in Keenum. IMO he's the guy for the rest of the season no matter how he plays Sunday. You need to see what you have in him.

Schaub is 32, has had some lower limb injuries and that's limited his once pedestrian athleticism. He's not going to magically get more mobile or have a stronger arm.

Yates is still young, but he hasn't shown that he's progressed over the past season and a half. If anything, based on his performance against the Rams, he's regressed. Still, while I love that he stepped in as a rookie, made some plays, and got us our first taste of that wonderful thing called the postseason, I think his ceiling is serviceable backup. He could pinch start for you and be able to hand the ball off a lot while making a few throws. He's not going to become the next Tom Brady for us. I'm not saying Keenum is, but we know Yates isn't.

Keenum is a mystery. I'm not a UH guy and I'm vehemently anti-Kubiak, but I want so much for Keenum to come in, light up the Chiefs and become the QB that we need. If he isn't the guy then at least we'll know and we can look at a 1st round QB to be our salvation.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #78
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Getting Tds instead of field goals

And W's
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #79
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Interesting. I wonder if (we) the fans will give Keenum more latitude than we are giving Schaub and Yates?
Honestly I do. He's basically a rookie. I'll forgive him a few more mistakes than the other 2. Hopefully he makes more plays than the other 2 as well.
Old 10-17-2013   #80
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Getting Tds instead of field goals

And W's
KC has a terrible offense. Keenum needs to not give up pick 6 / short field to KC.

If he can manage the game, let Arian and Tate (KC has a terrible run defense also) do most of the heavy lifting and get a TD when they can get into the RZ we can win. That's more than our #1 and #2 have been doing.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read