Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-16-2013   #61
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre's thoughts on Keenum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I see it in a bunch of different threads. It's not hard to locate, just read around the board.

You have people on the board expecting Keenum to be a "special" player (taken from this thread) when he has literally done nothing thus far in his NFL career. He has been sitting on the practice squad for how long now? How many years have teams passed up on him to be on their roster again? It is just silly. What I see is a beat down fan base struggling to comprehend what exactly is happening to their team and throwing their last bit of hope into an unproven, undrafted hometown kid. Meanwhile, they have made a determination about Yates that is almost equally as unfounded. It is just laughably silly all around, but I guess I'm just a realist.
I think it's more like people wanting to believe he can make a difference in a season that's slipping away from us very quickly. By the way, how many actual games had Yates played prior to leading us to the playoffs for the first time?

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #62
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Why wouldn't you split the reps? I think Yates deserves a shot at a full game or two over Keenum, but he isn't exactly a proven commodity out there. He's had very little playing time at QB. That's part of my point about people making this determination that he is Schaub 2.0. That's unfounded. Someone explain to me why he doesn't deserve a full game of action? Is meaningless garbage time enough to make this decision? It seems to be for some people.

I don't think anyone hates Keenum around here. I don't see why they would, he is a University of Houston product that played well in the preseason. Having said that, there is a ton of "love" for him that doesn't stem from anything but conversation. It's not like he thoroughly outplayed Yates in the preseason, the two were pretty equal in their performances. From a statistical standpoint, Yates had a higher completion percentage and more touchdowns on fewer attempts. Yates had more yards per attempt as well.
Coaches don't split reps of guys they are convinced are thee starters. You want to get the guy you peg as the starter all the reps possible Yates wasn't splitting reps with delhomme and Garcia as a rookie. That's because he was seen as the unquestioned starter at that time.

You don't split reps like that if you are convinced about a guy because all you're doing is hurting his preparation. But if you think another guy could possibly start instead you split the reps because you want to give that other guy a shot and don't want to stifle his play.

As far as Yates play against the rams...I do agree that he'd likely be better, but when you are the back up qb on the team you can't come in and play that poorly. When you get your chances, you don't have to light the world on fire, but you need to seize the moment. I don't care what the situation is...if the starter goes down, and now you are the starter...that's it. Here's your shot. And as a third year player put in that situation, you need to perform better. For all he knows Schaub could come back and play and he may never get that shot again.

Like I said, I think he can play better but the situation looking gloomy or whatever is not relevant at all when you are TJ Yates and you've been given that opportunity. Lights are on dude. It's action time.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #63
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123160 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

FFS, I hope Kubiak puts Keenum out there for a few games so all this gets resolved one way or another.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #64
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 8515 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I think it's more like people wanting to believe he can make a difference in a season that's slipping away from us very quickly. By the way, how many actual games had Yates played prior to leading us to the playoffs for the first time?
actually it's people knowing that case can play better than the $hit job that matt schaub has done. injured + terrible schaub vs case? how slow will MS be this weekend against a hungy chiefs?
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #65
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyAF View Post
if kubiak hasn't already lost the team, he will on Sunday if he goes with Yates.

NO WAY you got two of your star players talking about a guy like this, just to rip away that excitment from them.
Seriously, he will be viewed as a gutless coward too afraid to get outside of his comfort zone and take on some risk in order to reap rewards. He should take a page from Jim Harbaugh's book. Heck, A. Smith was healthy when he made that move. In this case MS is playing like crap all season and is now hurt. He knows what TJ can and can't do enough to know that he is NOT a starting caliber QB and NOT your future.

Come on Kubes.

Start CK
Old 10-17-2013   #66
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 81301 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The players themselves have talked about keenums high energy. Kubiak has talked about the energy he plays with and how he has fun playing football. Tell them that if he's have gone to Akron they wouldn't feel that way.

Of course it would be a great story if the Texas kid undrafted became a star with the texans. But your assertion is a little insulting as if people are too stupid to evaluate things without letting emotions get in the way.

Exuberance alone won't mean anything. He'd have to play well. But I think your comments are a bit out of touch considering players and coaches talk about the spark he plays with.
Good post. Skepticism is always healthy, but the resistance to acknowledging Keenum's upside has become more dogmatic than fanboyism.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #67
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104942 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

If it was ME - and I realize Kubiak and I aren't the same person, I would -

Start TJ Yates this Sunday, unless he just plays so awful at practice that my hand is forced. My reasoning is, I'd rather put a player out there with some NFL experience under his belt out there in the middle of Arrowhead against an unbeaten team. To throw Keenum into the ring in that situation would be to almost want him to fail. That's a tough spot for a dude who's never started an NFL game.

If Yates plays god awful, I keep the competition open, and use the extra week we get at the bye to further evaluate. If Keenum looks better than Yates in practice (or if they both practice well) I go with Case, for the SNF game against the Colts. I'd much rather his first game be at home, where the crowd is behind him.

If Keenum sucks, we can trade for James Casey, or run the wildcat with Cushing.
Old 10-17-2013   #68
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post

Start TJ Yates this Sunday, unless he just plays so awful at practice that my hand is forced. My reasoning is, I'd rather put a player out there with some NFL experience under his belt out there in the middle of Arrowhead against an unbeaten team. To throw Keenum into the ring in that situation would be to almost want him to fail. That's a tough spot for a dude who's never started an NFL game.

If Yates plays god awful, I keep the competition open, and use the extra week we get at the bye to further evaluate. If Keenum looks better than Yates in practice (or if they both practice well) I go with Case, for the SNF game against the Colts. I'd much rather his first game be at home, where the crowd is behind him.

If Keenum sucks, we can trade for James Casey, or run the wildcat with Cushing.

That move is so conservative and timid imo. Are you going to call for a run play on a 3rd and 20 next? Don't worry if I didn't like your idea, just keep battling and power thru it.
Old 10-17-2013   #69
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104942 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
That move is so conservative and timid imo. Are you going to call for a run play on a 3rd and 20 next? Don't worry if I didn't like your idea, just keep battling and power thru it.
Basically, if there was a pit of hungry wolves, I'd rather throw TJ down there instead of Keenum.
Old 10-17-2013   #70
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Basically, if there was a pit of hungry wolves, I'd rather throw TJ down there instead of Keenum.
Wow, ok. Sorry that I can't agree on putting a turnover machine out there who overthrows on his passes, makes bad decisions and is basically a more mobile MS.
Old 10-17-2013   #71
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
I think Case starts.

I think if Yates was undoubtedly going to be the starter they wouldn't even bother him sharing snaps with Case. The fact that Case is even a question at this point as a 3rd string QB means that Kubiak is giving it serious question.

I mean if Yates is truly the 2nd string QB then this is his job, no doubt about it...so why split the practice time? I think it's under more serious consideration and now other players getting behind Keenum and Yates previous play has only helped.
I actually think Kubiak is considering it. Gasp!
What next, Kubiak run a fake punt??
Oh wait, he called that too this year.
What in the name of Bizarro World is happening over there on Kirby Drive??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #72
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3968 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre also said Schaub is "just fine" a week or two ago... It's hard to take what he says to the media seriously. Kubiak has trained him well.
SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #73
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
Wow, ok. Sorry that I can't agree on putting a turnover machine out there who overthrows on his passes, makes bad decisions and is basically a more mobile MS.
OK. I don't think we're winning in KC regardless of who's throwing the ball for us. So I'd rather not throw Keenum out there to a team that averages 2436734 sacks a game and has the loudest outdoor stadium in the NFL.
Old 10-17-2013   #74
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25616 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK. I don't think we're winning in KC regardless of who's throwing the ball for us. So I'd rather not throw Keenum out there to a team that averages 2436734 sacks a game and has the loudest outdoor stadium in the NFL.
We should run the ball 75 % of the time. Case Keenum is going to be fine. Hopefully our defense plays well and our special teams doesn't suck too bad. If the Texans get an early lead we can play our game and not worry about the crowd noise or their pass rush.
Old 10-17-2013   #75
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you people think Andre Johnson or anyone else would say anything else?

They're not going to go around saying, "Eh, he sucks, but whatever man."
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #76
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of you are reading too much into this. Teammates (at least the good ones) got each other's backs. You ask Dre about Schaub, he's going to say nothing but positives. Even last week, when Ed Reed was specifically asked about Shiloh, he said how he's the smartest guy in the backfield. Whenever he has a question, he asks Shiloh.

This isn't some secret message to Kubiak from Dre to start Case. A reporter asked Dre specifically about Case, and of course he's only going to say something positive. He can't say something like, "He ain't ready. I fear his arm is not strong enough." Teammates don't do that. In an interview, Duane was asked specifically about Derek Newton. He said he's probably the most athletic guy on the line, he later mentioned how Ryan Harris has the best hands on the line. These guys only say good stuff about their teammates.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #77
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Here are TJ's first start numbers vs. Atlanta in 2011: Texans won 17-10

12-25, 48%, 188 yards, 7.5 average, 1 TD, 3 sacks for 13 yds., 2 rushes for 10 yards.

Nothing special, but I remember when he was brought in during the Jacksonville game I was thinking, 3rd string QB in, season is over. Well his numbers were not great, but he got us into the playoffs.

So now we speak about Keenum, 3rd string QB and people say he never has seen the speed of a real game, well TJ never did either when he was brought into the Jags game, and he managed. Atlanta was a good team when Yates got his first start and the Texans beat them with TJ, so why can't Keenum beat KC if he started. Nobody knows the heart of someone until they are up against something, and yes, Houston still needs to look for a QB in the draft, but until the offseason, let's give this kid a shot, can he do any worse than the 2 in front of him... can he do any better?? That is to be seen, but even if it just a placebo effect that the other 52 guys buy into, that is all that is really needed now to get this ship back on course...
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #78
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Do you people think Andre Johnson or anyone else would say anything else?

They're not going to go around saying, "Eh, he sucks, but whatever man."
I don't think anyone thinks that, but he gave a little extra when talking about Case.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #79
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 139897 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Unfortunately, I agree. If I'm sending a backup to the slaughter, it's going to be TJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
We should run the ball 75 % of the time. Case Keenum is going to be fine. Hopefully our defense plays well and our special teams doesn't suck too bad. If the Texans get an early lead we can play our game and not worry about the crowd noise or their pass rush.
23rd rushing Defense, it might stand a chance. It's easier to defend the run when you don't have to fear the pass though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
Here are TJ's first start numbers vs. Atlanta in 2011: Texans won 17-10

12-25, 48%, 188 yards, 7.5 average, 1 TD, 3 sacks for 13 yds., 2 rushes for 10 yards.

Nothing special, but I remember when he was brought in during the Jacksonville game I was thinking, 3rd string QB in, season is over. Well his numbers were not great, but he got us into the playoffs.
True, I was happily surprised. Unfortunately, this one is on the road at Arrowhead, not the cozy confines of Reliant. Kubiak is 2-0 vs. the Chiefs, Andy Reid is 3-0 vs. the Texans. Something has to give.
Old 10-17-2013   #80
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48499 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

With Gary the one thing that might convince me it was about winning and not just about him, is if he starts Case. We know Matt is done, and know what Yates is. Time to find out what the kid can do in real game situations.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read