Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who do you want to start at QB this week?
Schaub 10 9.26%
Yates 6 5.56%
Keenum 86 79.63%
Other 6 5.56%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2013   #61
steds
Veteran

Rep Power: 330 steds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who do you want to start at QB this week?

You know, having just read Gil Brandt suggesting we should trade for Rex Grossman, I'm suddenly quite happy with any of the three on the roster.
steds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #62
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 102617 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I doubt he could absorb punishment outside of the pocket on a continued basis. However, every play he extends with a side-step, step-up or scramble will be incremental improvement.

Case has the potential to give us what we never get in this offense - goodness from a broken play. Granted, our team speed with our skill position players is lacking - but get them in open space on a broken play, and I am confident they can make someone miss.
I agree, and think it could be very exciting to watch, but I can't help but wonder why you would aim for extending broken plays instead of having less broken plays?

Broken plays are going to happen. You cannot win every time, but as long as you protect the ball and live to fight another series it's all good. Often times those broken plays also become turnovers, and it certainly increases the chances of a turn over when you start running around playing playground style football. No?

I hate it that Kubiak is so conservative in his play calling, but when it comes to running around risking your starting QB's health for a few extra yards, or maybe a big play, or maybe a turnover, it's just not worth it IMO.

Pocket passers win super bowls. It's a fact. Yea, guys like Steve Young and others were mobile, and could run, but passed from the pocket to win it all. It's a more stable platform to throw the ball from, and therefore more accurate which means more chance of success.

The position was designed to operate behind huge linemen who get paid to keep the D Line from getting to the QB. Why can't we just ask them to do their jobs, or get someone who can? Again... Why try to extend broken plays rather than try to have fewer broken plays?

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #63
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
schaub's done, yates isnt a starter, and keenum has the biggest skillset of the group - he's the obvious answer to me. i've heard a lot of people saying wait until the bye in order to give keenum two weeks to prepare. i disagree with that. put him in this week, see exactly what his strengths and weaknesses are in a real game, and use those two weeks to build around what we see. it's going to be a tough game, away, and against a strong defense - i'd rather see keenum forced into that type of real world situation than trying to coddle him at home against a weak opponent like the jaguars.
What is his biggest skillset you speak of? I didn't see it at camp or anywhere else. Keenum is not a nfl caliber starter in this league. People can believe it till they blue in the face.Guy does not have a nfl arm.
Old 10-16-2013   #64
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
What is his biggest skillset you speak of? I didn't see it at camp or anywhere else. Keenum is not a nfl caliber starter in this league. People can believe it till they blue in the face.Guy does not have a nfl arm.
You will be eating a buffet of crow sir.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #65
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103999 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Keenum.. just for the simple fact that we already know what we have in Yates and Schaub and the question of whether or not Keenum can be the guy needs to be answered before the offseason.
This.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #66
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 11376 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

the chiefs at home are the benchmark for being one of the best teams in the NFL defense wise.

if case can score and lead our team against this kind of environment, and play better than what we've seen, all of us can feel better about his future.

case is a gamer. he's a winner in high school, ncaa, and I want to see what he can do in the nfl. there's a reason why he's 3rd? yes, because kubiak is loyal to tj yates. otherwise, he'd be 2nd.

you need someone with a quick release, good footwork against an elite rush, read defenses that blitz, and can see open receivers. case has it, he just needs to show.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #67
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
You will be eating a buffet of crow sir.
I will if I'm wrong,but I doubt I am. People wishing and hoping case is the next brady or kurt warner is beyond wishful thinking. I say it all the time,think players,not plays.
Old 10-16-2013   #68
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Guy does not have a nfl arm.
I'll take a ex SB winning coach's opinion over random guy on the internet.

Does he have a cannon strapped to his right shoulder.. no, but he has more than enough arm strength to make the necessary throws to succeed. I'm more worried about his size and the ability to hold up health wise at this level, the arm.. not so much.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #69
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 127674 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
vision, quickly through multiple reads, mobility in the pocket, mobility outside the pocket, throwing on the run, deep ball accuracy, placement on shorter "lead" throws, pre-snap awareness, and if i may add it - "it". why is everyone so stuck on arm strength? most quarterbacks today arent known for their cannons, it's the head and feet that separate successful quarterbacks. besides, case was able to make the deep out in preseason, as well as drop some beautiful deep sideline throws.
Old 10-16-2013   #70
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Throwing short of the sticks is not just a function of your QB. The WR, the coverage, the play calls and a million other things go into it. FWIW watching the rest of the NFL it is common for targets to be short of the sticks
It's as common as it is stupid, if you mean setting up 1 yard short of the goal line. That's like running a pattern yard short of the marker on 3rd down. Usually it's the receiver's fault.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #71
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
vision, quickly through multiple reads, mobility in the pocket, mobility outside the pocket, throwing on the run, deep ball accuracy, placement on shorter "lead" throws, pre-snap awareness, and if i may add it - "it". why is everyone so stuck on arm strength? most quarterbacks today arent known for their cannons, it's the head and feet that separate successful quarterbacks. besides, case was able to make the deep out in preseason, as well as drop some beautiful deep sideline throws.

Brandon weedon was the highest qb in preseason too along with sam bradford. When the walmart workers and bar tenders got cut,look at weedon and sam bradford. Look,I never said you had to have a cannon,but you do have to threaten blades of grass on the field. Case will limit the zones on the field to which you can throw just like schaub. There will be a lot of plays you just can't run because of his arm talent. I mean if you're hoping and wishing with a guy who wasn't even drafted in a qb starved league ,then be my guess. Like I said many times in other threads,I like the guy,but we've been down the road with these limited talent guys.
Old 10-16-2013   #72
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 141560 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was all for Schaub going into the season. He has bombed and for whatever reason his arm strength has diminished just as decision making so I hope he's gone. If Yates was good enough he would have pushed for the starters job but he's not very good based on the Stl game. I only say keenum because he's the unknown. If he sucks too then the texans should move forward with someone in the draft. I hope keenum can be a productive QB or at least one that doesn't ph##k it up like Schaub but I doubt it but we know for sure schaun and Yates are not.
Old 10-17-2013   #73
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 55012 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Historically Schaub has been excellent at protecting the football even with the poor line play more often than not, and those 4 games he played so badly and turned the ball over are just an anomaly, not a trend IMO.
One time is an anomaly. Two times is a trend. Three times is a habit. Four times is just a fuking disaster.

You're right about one thing, though; at four losses the season is not over. Drop 7 and then we're probably talking. Start 7? Yeah, start #7. Schaub is not going to be healthy and Yates shat the bed. After the bye we'll see if the damage to Schaub's uppermost extremity is any better than his lower right one.

Until then Matt can keeping dancing with Anne's little sister, Lis.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #74
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 11376 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like I said many times in other threads,I like the guy,but we've been down the road with these limited talent guys.
yep, we're on that road right now with a terrible injured schaub and a 2 int TJ.
Old 10-17-2013   #75
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 141560 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steds View Post
You know, having just read Gil Brandt suggesting we should trade for Rex Grossman, I'm suddenly quite happy with any of the three on the roster.
Trade for Wrecks grossman? Just how deep is the bottom of this barrel?
Old 10-17-2013   #76
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 55012 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I mean if you're hoping and wishing with a guy who wasn't even drafted in a qb starved league ,then be my guess. Like I said many times in other threads,I like the guy,but we've been down the road with these limited talent guys.
Oh, I'm with you, bro. My cousin, he attended the University of Washington (true story) and they had this QB - a guy by the name of Star or Moon, or something like that. Anyway, this QB was a great college player, but I mean he just didn't get drafted. It just happens that way sometimes. Tough titty. At any rate, my cousin said that QB was playing ball up in Canada, so I guess things worked out for him in the end.

It makes me wonder, though - sometimes I have these crazy thoughts - how come we have all of these 1st, 2nd and 3rd round busts when all of the scouts and experts say this-and-that player is a "can't miss" prospect? It boggles the mind.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #77
legacy_gt
All Pro

"If other teams had seen him work out for us, he would have been drafted," Kubiak said. "He was a sponge when I was telling him things. He picked them up right away." (in response to the tryouts with Texans after the combine).
Old 10-17-2013   #78
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

"Relax, I got this"

Concerns over his height?? He is 6'2" and Drew Brees is 6', so I'm not sure about the concern over his height that left him undrafted in 2012. What if he is our Drew Brees? Who says you have to be a lumbering, methodical, slow and goofy 6'5" QB in order to be "successful"? Last I checked, Arian Foster was undrafted and that created a sweet player with a chip on his shoulder that every team would kill for. Just saying..........
Old 10-17-2013   #79
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
"Relax, I got this"

Concerns over his height?? He is 6'2" and Drew Brees is 6', so I'm not sure about the concern over his height that left him undrafted in 2012. What if he is our Drew Brees? Who says you have to be a lumbering, methodical, slow and goofy 6'5" QB in order to be "successful"? Last I checked, Arian Foster was undrafted and that created a sweet player with a chip on his shoulder that every team would kill for. Just saying..........
I hope as much as the next guy Case Keenum is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I don't think he is. I think it's just hometown love hyping up someone people desperately want to be a savior for this franchise just because he's an unknown quantity. If he is that guy at Arrowhead this Sunday, you bet I'll eat my plate of crow happily.

But the Foster comparison is a bad one. Foster would have been a draft pick if he hadn't stayed one more year at Tennessee. His last year screwed everything up for him.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #80
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt is a bad qb at this point. He was an ok/good qb that looked better because of the offense. Now he's just bad.

Starting Matt would be the worst move we could make. It's time to move on.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read