Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who do you want to start at QB this week?
Schaub 10 9.26%
Yates 6 5.56%
Keenum 86 79.63%
Other 6 5.56%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2013   #41
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 53129 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who do you want to start at QB this week?

It's simple. If Schaub is healthy enough to start it should be him. If not, then I would be happy to see Keenum get a shot. Like it or not, Schaub is the most experienced, and best QB on the team so for that reason you start Schaub if he is healthy.

I mean look at it this way. Even though most of you guys have written this season off, it is far from over.

The Colts lost to the Chargers so they did not extend their lead in the division. The lead remains 2 games. They face arguably the most high powered team in the league this week which by all appearances will be another loss, making it a 2 game slide for the Colts before the bye.

So if the Texans can somehow get their act together and beat the Chiefs (It could happen) that gives the Colts only a 1 game lead in the division leading up to the Colts in Houston after the bye. If the Texans can then win that game at home, they take first place in the division assuming the Titans do not win their next two games.

So with that in mind, do you play a 3rd string UDFA over a 10 year vet if he is healthy? Hell no you don't! And Kubiak won't if Schaub is healthy enough to go, but I think there is little chance Schaub will be healthy enough.

Forget the 4 pick 6's, and forget that you hate Schaub and blame everything including global warming on him. He gives the Texans their best chance to win, and wins are what they need right now, not QB tryouts.

"I always said I wanted to play for one team, and to be able to play for the Houston Texans for the rest of my career, it's a tremendous honor." -Andre Johnson
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #42
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

First of all, I think its moronic to split the snaps. Pick a friggin' QB and give him ALL the snaps. Prepare ONE guy. Give him a fair shot, not the half the practice snaps Peyton Manning gets' kind of shot. I mean really...ugh. Why even throw a hurt Schaub vs this front 7 at their place? He's not limping enough? The Chiefs had 10 sacks last week.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #43
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
First of all, I think its moronic to split the snaps. Pick a friggin' QB and give him ALL the snaps. Prepare ONE guy. Give him a fair shot, not the half the practice snaps Peyton Manning gets' kind of shot. I mean really...ugh. Why even throw a hurt Schaub vs this front 7 at their place? He's not limping enough? The Chiefs had 10 sacks last week.
Good grief, me too! It's driving me nuts for some reason. It irked me as soon as he said it the other day. You have to have 1 of them 100% ready to go whether Schaub's ready or not.

I've always been neutral when it came to Kubiak discussions, but dadgum, he's pissin me off a lot this season.
Old 10-16-2013   #44
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Forget the 4 pick 6's, and forget that you hate Schaub and blame everything including global warming on him. He gives the Texans their best chance to win, and wins are what they need right now, not QB tryouts.
Given that we've lost 4 games in a row with Schaub as the starter, does that mean we're looking at a 2-14 season? If he's our best chance, we're in deep trouble. That argument is all the justification I need to start Keenum. If Keenum (or Yates) starts the next 4 games & we lose all of them, how does that hurt us more than the path we're currently heading down? My thinking is that with Keenum, we might surprise someone & win 1 or 2 of those games just because there isn't any tape on him yet. Either that, or it's just wishful thinking on my part. I'm just tired of losing during a season when everyone (outside of Houston) was annointing us a serious Superbowl contender. The excuses have to stop at some point.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #45
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

If Schaub were completely healthy, I'd have a tough time choosing. I still hold out the slimmest hope that we can get into the playoffs. I still think a healthy Schaub gives us the best, most consistent chance at advancing. Unless he's completely broken mentally, hopefully he could revert back to early last season form and no telling how far this team could get. Honestly Schaub starting would have me feeling ho-hum until something great happened. I feel like he's done (mentally) and now that he's injured should be held out until the other 2 QBs prove much worse.

Yates doesn't "deserve" another chance. He's had one this year and completely blew it. He brings nothing new to the offense. I don't think players "want" to make plays for him.

But...Keenum would have me excited to watch from the beginning. He may make mistakes but if he's capable of making some great plays at the same time, I'm for it. I think the players can feel it too. He may not be the next Tom Brady or even Tony Romo but I'd give him a shot. Those saying to wait to start Keenum until the bye week...really? He's been preparing to play professionally for a year and a half. If he starts Sunday he'll have tons of reps with the first string. If he plays poorly in KC - big deal. They are undefeated and have a great defense. Maybe it would get him used to playing faster. Would Yates or Schaub have played better? Based on what exactly?

If he plays well and wins though...
Old 10-16-2013   #46
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, that's the kind of idiot we have running this circus. From the article stating that they were splitting reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the article
Kubiak said Keenum’’s mobility won’’t be a deciding factor against a Kansas City pass rush that racked up 10 sacks last week during a home victory against Oakland.
I'd love to know what the "deciding factor" will be. He thinks TJ moves well too. That's nice. Not really even close between the two but hey, Gary doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings so yes, they're both real mobile..... but that's not what we'll base any decision on. Who cares about mobility when we're looking at a defense like KC's right?
Old 10-16-2013   #47
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sure why they need to split reps either seeing as how they are not experienced enough in the first place.

I wonder if Kubiak is holding info out to hinder KC's gameplanning. Doubt it though
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #48
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a feeling Schaub will start....and make the Statue of Liberty jealous
Old 10-16-2013   #49
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 53129 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed! Just PC nonsense. The waffling suggests he still wants to start Schaub IMO. Even more important especially if it is Keenum Kubiak plans to start facing that pass rush. Although even though I think the Texans line has been struggling, they are still better than the Raiders line. Don't think you will see 10 sacks against the Texans.

Two completely different game plans to prepare for depending on whether you start Yates or Keenum. Going to have to move Keenum around if he is starting. Not so much with Yates, or Schaub for that matter if the OL does their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Given that we've lost 4 games in a row with Schaub as the starter, does that mean we're looking at a 2-14 season? If he's our best chance, we're in deep trouble. That argument is all the justification I need to start Keenum. If Keenum (or Yates) starts the next 4 games & we lose all of them, how does that hurt us more than the path we're currently heading down? My thinking is that with Keenum, we might surprise someone & win 1 or 2 of those games just because there isn't any tape on him yet. Either that, or it's just wishful thinking on my part. I'm just tired of losing during a season when everyone (outside of Houston) was annointing us a serious Superbowl contender. The excuses have to stop at some point.
Ok wait.. so by that logic when Schaub won 2 in a row to start the season he should have won at least two more in a row, right? See what I did there? What you are saying is that because Schaub was the QB during a 4 game losing streak, that he will continue to lose. 2-14? Exaggerate much? How do you jump from 2-4 to 2-14?

How does it hurt more if we lose the next 4 with Yates or Keenum? Simple. Odds are Schaub would not lose another 4 in a row, that is just you and others being dramatic. History tells us Schaub can move the ball and win. The same cannot be said for Yates or Keenum, but especially Keenum who has no NFL history. He is a 3rd string UDFA for a reason. So extrapolating that the Texans will continue to lose unless we make a QB change is nonsense. Schaub has proven he can win. But the TEAM needs to play better, not just Schaub.

Yea sorry, but IMO it is wishful thinking on your part as well as others. None of us want to lose no matter what anyone outside of Houston is saying, but it happens. Stop believing the season is over for the Texans. It's not. If they can get back to winning like we all know they can (Yes even with Schaub at the helm) then they are only 2 games back of the division leader who will most likely lose to the Broncos this weekend. If the Colts lose and Texans win it changes things dramatically. We go into the bye only 1 game out of first place, and then the Texans face the division leader Colts after the bye in Reliant, and if they win that game, the Texans are in first place in the AFCS and 2-0 in the division.

It's understandable to lose faith after a 4 game slide, but Schaub was not the only player out there for those 4 games. The team as a whole played terribly in all phases of the game during that stretch, and even more so against the Rams. But there has to be a bottom, and I think that was it against the Rams.

It's perfect timing for the Texans to start playing good ball now, and peak at the right time this year instead of fast out of the gate, then fizzling at the end of the year. When the Texans are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, that is when you start experimenting, not until then unless forced to by injury to your starting QB.

"I always said I wanted to play for one team, and to be able to play for the Houston Texans for the rest of my career, it's a tremendous honor." -Andre Johnson
Old 10-16-2013   #50
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Two completely different game plans to prepare for depending on whether you start Yates or Keenum. Going to have to move Keenum around if he is starting. Not so much with Yates, or Schaub for that matter if the OL does their job.

Trust me, Chiefs aren't going to prepare different for Keenum. He's not RGIII or Michael Vick. There is ZERO tactical advantage for "making the Chiefs prepare for two QB's." Keenum's speed isn't going to eat them up and nobody is going to spy him. The Chiefs are going to prepare for the kubiak offense and won't give a rats booty about which back up quarterback is starting. All we are doing is limiting our starting quarterback's reps. Idiocy at its finest.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #51
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed! Just PC nonsense. The waffling suggests he still wants to start Schaub IMO. Even more important especially if it is Keenum Kubiak plans to start facing that pass rush. Although even though I think the Texans line has been struggling, they are still better than the Raiders line. Don't think you will see 10 sacks against the Texans.

Ok wait.. so by that logic when Schaub won 2 in a row to start the season he should have won at least two more in a row, right? See what I did there? What you are saying is that because Schaub was the QB during a 4 game losing streak, that he will continue to lose. 2-14? Exaggerate much? How do you jump from 2-4 to 2-14?

How does it hurt more if we lose the next 4 with Yates or Keenum? Simple. Odds are Schaub would not lose another 4 in a row, that is just you and others being dramatic. History tells us Schaub can move the ball and win. The same cannot be said for Yates or Keenum, but especially Keenum who has no NFL history. He is a 3rd string UDFA for a reason. So extrapolating that the Texans will continue to lose unless we make a QB change is nonsense. Schaub has proven he can win. But the TEAM needs to play better, not just Schaub.

Yea sorry, but IMO it is wishful thinking on your part as well as others. None of us want to lose no matter what anyone outside of Houston is saying, but it happens. Stop believing the season is over for the Texans. It's not. If they can get back to winning like we all know they can (Yes even with Schaub at the helm) then they are only 2 games back of the division leader who will most likely lose to the Broncos this weekend. If the Colts lose and Texans win it changes things dramatically. We go into the bye only 1 game out of first place, and then the Texans face the division leader Colts after the bye in Reliant, and if they win that game, the Texans are in first place in the AFCS and 2-0 in the division.

It's understandable to lose faith after a 4 game slide, but Schaub was not the only player out there for those 4 games. The team as a whole played terribly in all phases of the game during that stretch, and even more so against the Rams. But there has to be a bottom, and I think that was it against the Rams.

It's perfect timing for the Texans to start playing good ball now, and peak at the right time this year instead of fast out of the gate, then fizzling at the end of the year. When the Texans are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, that is when you start experimenting, not until then unless forced to by injury to your starting QB.
I agree with you, but we're all making a lot of assumptions about the rest of this season. My extrapolation to a 2-14 season is based upon the 4 losses in a row, the furious second half rally we had to make in the SD game & finally the OT win in the Tennessee game when Schaub tried to give the game away with the 1st of his string of pick 6's. The way we've played this year, we could very easily be 0-6 at this point. We have yet to play like a serious Superbowl contender this year.

I also believe the O'Line is the major problem that needs to be fixed. If that's fixed, then Schaub would be the best choice at QB. But, the O'Line isn't going to be fixed right away & that's why I believe Keenum gives us a better fighting chance due to his mobility & lack of game film for other teams to prepare for him. He's got the skills, just not the experience.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #52
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Well, that's the kind of idiot we have running this circus. From the article stating that they were splitting reps

I'd love to know what the "deciding factor" will be. He thinks TJ moves well too. That's nice. Not really even close between the two but hey, Gary doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings so yes, they're both real mobile..... but that's not what we'll base any decision on. Who cares about mobility when we're looking at a defense like KC's right?
Well considering KC racked up 10 sacks against a qb more mobile than anyone we have......i dont think it really does matter...yates, schaub...keenum...it doesnt matter, they're gonna be getting after whomever is back there.....especially with the turnstile newton not offering much resistance.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #53
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure why some of you guys want to start Matt even if he is healthy.
He is done. Put a fork in it. He has totally lost his confidence. He has been going downhill since the bye week last year. Except for the second half of the Chargers game.

He made no mistakes last game because he was afraid to throw the ball anywhere. He was slow and deliberate when he finally threw. He is done.

Yates is just Matt 2.0, a little faster a foot, a little stronger arm but the same.

Keenum needs to start so we can see if we need to draft a QB next draft.
Old 10-16-2013   #54
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I agree with you, but we're all making a lot of assumptions about the rest of this season. My extrapolation to a 2-14 season is based upon the 4 losses in a row, the furious second half rally we had to make in the SD game & finally the OT win in the Tennessee game when Schaub tried to give the game away with the 1st of his string of pick 6's. The way we've played this year, we could very easily be 0-6 at this point. We have yet to play like a serious Superbowl contender this year.

I also believe the O'Line is the major problem that needs to be fixed. If that's fixed, then Schaub would be the best choice at QB. But, the O'Line isn't going to be fixed right away & that's why I believe Keenum gives us a better fighting chance due to his mobility & lack of game film for other teams to prepare for him. He's got the skills, just not the experience.
How come when Andrew Luck, or Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady make a come back it is heralded as a good thing and a feather in their cap, but when Schaub does it, it is a bad thing? I agree that the Texans have not played like a serious Super Bowl contender, (except 2nd half of Chargers game, and 1st half of Seahawks game) but that is a good thing. It means they can only go up from here, that there is still hope they can finally play a full 60 minutes and put all 3 phases of the game together.

I was excited to see those come back wins, it showed the team had guts, and could overcome adversity with mental toughness and elite play. What if's work both ways bro. We could just as easily be 6-0, but we are not, so let's stop pretending the season is over because the Texans did not start fast.

The Texans could still win the division and make the playoffs. Just need to play like we know they can... as a team. Not one guy trying to do it all. Keenum running around trying to be the messiah will become a disaster. It's no secret what defenses will do against Keenum. They will blitz their asses off nearly every down, and if he does not make them pay, he will eventually make a rookie mistake and turn the ball over.

They will also disguise coverage, and it is just a matter of time before they force a turnover due to confusion by the young player. Now maybe Keenum is the next Drew Brees, but then again, Brees did not ball out on his first game, nor his first season. It took him time to gain the wisdom he needed to become elite.

Conventional wisdom says go with what you know so you can minimize the amount of mistakes your team makes, because turnovers kill you, which we have seen in the last 5 weeks. If you keep turning the ball over, I don't care who you have back there. You are going to lose. Keenum's skills are unproven against NFL talent, so saying he has the skills is just hype. The jump from College to the NFL is HUGE bro. Instead of one or two guys on a team that are fast, and good, every position is faster, bigger, stronger and better than anything he has every faced. The best of the best college players.

The OL has been struggling for a few years now, but Schaub has gotten by and won allot of games anyway. Historically Schaub has been excellent at protecting the football even with the poor line play more often than not, and those 4 games he played so badly and turned the ball over are just an anomaly, not a trend IMO. Keenum is not ready. I sure hope he proves me wrong if they start him. I will be cheering for him to succeed if he gets the start, unlike those who cheer for Schaub to do poorly so they can say "See I Told You So".

I'm not saying you are one of those people bro. Just saying they exist, and are more concerned with being right than watching the Texans win.

Old 10-16-2013   #55
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I see the Oline "issue" eerily similar to the Oline issue during the Carr ages. Give that Oline someone who can extend the play, and watch our Oline look like the best in the business again.
Old 10-16-2013   #56
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 70974 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How come when Andrew Luck, or Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady make a come back it is heralded as a good thing and a feather in their cap, but when Schaub does it, it is a bad thing? I agree that the Texans have not played like a serious Super Bowl contender, (except 2nd half of Chargers game, and 1st half of Seahawks game) but that is a good thing. It means they can only go up from here, that there is still hope they can finally play a full 60 minutes and put all 3 phases of the game together.

I was excited to see those come back wins, it showed the team had guts, and could overcome adversity with mental toughness and elite play. What if's work both ways bro. We could just as easily be 6-0, but we are not, so let's stop pretending the season is over because the Texans did not start fast.

The Texans could still win the division and make the playoffs. Just need to play like we know they can... as a team. Not one guy trying to do it all. Keenum running around trying to be the messiah will become a disaster. It's no secret what defenses will do against Keenum. They will blitz their asses off nearly every down, and if he does not make them pay, he will eventually make a rookie mistake and turn the ball over.

They will also disguise coverage, and it is just a matter of time before they force a turnover due to confusion by the young player. Now maybe Keenum is the next Drew Brees, but then again, Brees did not ball out on his first game, nor his first season. It took him time to gain the wisdom he needed to become elite.

Conventional wisdom says go with what you know so you can minimize the amount of mistakes your team makes, because turnovers kill you, which we have seen in the last 5 weeks. If you keep turning the ball over, I don't care who you have back there. You are going to lose. Keenum's skills are unproven against NFL talent, so saying he has the skills is just hype. The jump from College to the NFL is HUGE bro. Instead of one or two guys on a team that are fast, and good, every position is faster, bigger, stronger and better than anything he has every faced. The best of the best college players.

The OL has been struggling for a few years now, but Schaub has gotten by and won allot of games anyway. Historically Schaub has been excellent at protecting the football even with the poor line play more often than not, and those 4 games he played so badly and turned the ball over are just an anomaly, not a trend IMO. Keenum is not ready. I sure hope he proves me wrong if they start him. I will be cheering for him to succeed if he gets the start, unlike those who cheer for Schaub to do poorly so they can say "See I Told You So".

I'm not saying you are one of those people bro. Just saying they exist, and are more concerned with being right than watching the Texans win.
How has that worked out for us so far ?
Old 10-16-2013   #57
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I see the Oline "issue" eerily similar to the Oline issue during the Carr ages. Give that Oline someone who can extend the play, and watch our Oline look like the best in the business again.
No question there. I agree with that. But how long can you count on that type of play before getting your QB killed? Especially a guy as small in stature as Keenum. He cannot absorb a bunch of punishment and survive, or thrive. Eventually it will cause his play to deteriorate if he must constantly be doing that. Wouldn't you agree?

Wilson is pretty mobile too, but I saw him get hammered a few times against the Texans and it only takes one of those to end his day, or even his career. I am sure Griffin thought he would just run all over the place too, but he learned he can't, not without paying a price, and he is bigger physically than Keenum.

Old 10-16-2013   #58
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
How has that worked out for us so far ?
Well if you only want to be short sighted about 4 games then obviously not so well, but then again I am not one who says it was all Schaub's fault. Perhaps you are.

But historically it has worked out great for the Texans. Schaub turned them from a disastrous franchise into a back to back division winner that many were picking to go to the Super Bowl this year.

Can't keep saying 4 games represent then rest of the Texans season.

Old 10-16-2013   #59
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No question there. I agree with that. But how long can you count on that type of play before getting your QB killed? Especially a guy as small in stature as Keenum. He cannot absorb a bunch of punishment and survive, or thrive. Eventually it will cause his play to deteriorate if he must constantly be doing that. Wouldn't you agree?

Wilson is pretty mobile too, but I saw him get hammered a few times against the Texans and it only takes one of those to end his day, or even his career. I am sure Griffin thought he would just run all over the place too, but he learned he can't, not without paying a price, and he is bigger physically than Keenum.
I doubt he could absorb punishment outside of the pocket on a continued basis. However, every play he extends with a side-step, step-up or scramble will be incremental improvement.

Case has the potential to give us what we never get in this offense - goodness from a broken play. Granted, our team speed with our skill position players is lacking - but get them in open space on a broken play, and I am confident they can make someone miss.
Old 10-16-2013   #60
darnbni99a
Veteran

Rep Power: 1441 darnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Keenum.. just for the simple fact that we already know what we have in Yates and Schaub and the question of whether or not Keenum can be the guy needs to be answered before the offseason.
this.........
darnbni99a is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read