Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-08-2013   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 Draft Eligible QB's

It amazes me that so many of see players so differently.
Old 10-09-2013   #42
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

The Texans had the perfect scenerio this past draft and blew it. They should've drafted Geno Smith, let schaub play out this yr and then play smith. They could've gotten a wr in the 2nd or 3rd rd. Someone vertical like terrance williams. They didn't do it and now they aren't gonna have that kind of talent fall in their lap.
Old 10-09-2013   #43
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
The Texans had the perfect scenerio this past draft and blew it. They should've drafted Geno Smith, let schaub play out this yr and then play smith. They could've gotten a wr in the 2nd or 3rd rd. Someone vertical like terrance williams. They didn't do it and now they aren't gonna have that kind of talent fall in their lap.
Geno Smith? What's so great about him? I wouldn't want him.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #44
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104085 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
He flashes. If he flashes consistently, we may regret passing on him.

Too early to make a judgment call either way right now though.
htownfan32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #45
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
He's led his crappy team to 3 wins and our QB has led our "Super Bowl contender" team to 2 wins. He mistakes but he also makes plays. Keeps the play alive. Scrambles. Keeps eyes down field. Unheard of things, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #46
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
He flashes. If he flashes consistently, we may regret passing on him.

Too early to make a judgment call either way right now though.
It is a little too early; he has been highly inconsistent. He didn't play all that well until this past game against a depleted Atlanta defense. He had 4 turnovers in the previous week.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 10-09-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2013   #47
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

There's only a handful of guys in the league with more turnovers than Schaub. Geno Smith is one of them.

Of course, so is Eli (you know, the Manning with 2 rings).

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #48
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104085 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
There's only a handful of guys in the league with more turnovers than Schaub. Geno Smith is one of them.

Of course, so is Eli (you know, the Manning with 2 rings).
Geno is, however, a rookie. I'll watch him to look for improvement, but like Seminole said earlier, it's way too early to be crowning him anything. Way too inconsistent atm.
Old 10-09-2013   #49
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

In any case that's in the past.

If I could, I would trade for Kirk Cousins. I think highly of him. Outside of that it'd have to be the draft and my boy Hundley. I like others beside him but I feel like I'd be settling for anyone else (except Bridgewater, but unless we lose out (and to the Jags), I don't think we'll be picking 1st.
Old 10-10-2013   #50
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

tonight was the second louisville game i've watched this year, and i've come away non-plussed with bridgewater both times. he's a solid qb but nothing screams first pick overall to me. he's got physical tools sure, but reminds me of HWSNBN.

if we had the pick of any qb's, i'd want either hogan, murray, or manziel. I want a proven gamer that other players on our team would rally behind. i'd be happy with hundley as well.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #51
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
tonight was the second louisville game i've watched this year, and i've come away non-plussed with bridgewater both times. he's a solid qb but nothing screams first pick overall to me. he's got physical tools sure, but reminds me of HWSNBN.

if we had the pick of any qb's, i'd want either hogan, murray, or manziel. I want a proven gamer that other players on our team would rally behind. i'd be happy with hundley as well.
Yeah, I was underwhelmed by Bridgewater too. I don't know about the HWSNBN vibe but I did come away with a general "meh" feeling.
Old 10-11-2013   #52
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:

To be fair, that wasn't one of his better games, but I agree with you. He just doesn't need to make difficult throws, so he doesn't come off special.
Old 10-11-2013   #53
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58316 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i'd want either hogan
I'd love Hogan. But I don't think he comes out.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013   #54
texdawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 2455 texdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respected

If you like mid-round sleeper type guys--google this guy: Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois, 6'3" 220, 151 of 231 23 tds 5 ints. Not arm strength of Brett Farve or Elway, but can make all the throws, very desisive with super quick release. Has good pocket awareness and can extend plays with his feet. Plays mostly in spread but can play under center. 4 yr starter. Past known qb's from same school: Tony Romo, Sean Payton. Report is that most if not all NFL teams have been to watch games and practices. If he finishes out season and gets invite to senior bowls and allstar games, I expect we will be hearing more about him.

I have no idea if this guy will pan out or not, just thought he should be added to any list of potential draftable qbs.
Old 10-11-2013   #55
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdawg View Post
If you like mid-round sleeper type guys--google this guy: Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois, 6'3" 220, 151 of 231 23 tds 5 ints. Not arm strength of Brett Farve or Elway, but can make all the throws, very desisive with super quick release. Has good pocket awareness and can extend plays with his feet. Plays mostly in spread but can play under center. 4 yr starter. Past known qb's from same school: Tony Romo, Sean Payton. Report is that most if not all NFL teams have been to watch games and practices. If he finishes out season and gets invite to senior bowls and allstar games, I expect we will be hearing more about him.

I have no idea if this guy will pan out or not, just thought he should be added to any list of potential draftable qbs.
Problem with this type of pick, Texans cannot gamble that much imo. If you are going to select a QB, you have to aim high and go with best possible chance no later than round three but probably round two. TJ Yates was an example of your guy in 5th but we don't have 3 years for next guy to develop. Another reason I think Keenum has a step up on most if not all 2014 QBs.
Old 10-15-2013   #56
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the reason a lot of people on this board have varying opinions of the top QB's is because this is looking less and less like a QB class for the ages (2012 class), and more like a few top dudes and more above average guys.

Bridgewater didn't look outstanding in his game this weekend, and I want to say one of the other top guys didn't light it up (Hundley I think?). However, with Bridgewater, the kid has a ton of tape that shows him as being spectacular (so does pretty much all the guys at the top). My problem with him, Boyd and Manziel mostly come down to size more than anything else. Boyd especially is really really short and Bridgewater is a string bean (right now).

I want to re-iterate that I think if the Texans are going to get a QB from the draft, this is as good of a class as any to grab one.
Old 10-15-2013   #57
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I think the reason a lot of people on this board have varying opinions of the top QB's is because this is looking less and less like a QB class for the ages (2012 class), and more like a few top dudes and more above average guys.

Bridgewater didn't look outstanding in his game this weekend, and I want to say one of the other top guys didn't light it up (Hundley I think?). However, with Bridgewater, the kid has a ton of tape that shows him as being spectacular (so does pretty much all the guys at the top). My problem with him, Boyd and Manziel mostly come down to size more than anything else. Boyd especially is really really short and Bridgewater is a string bean (right now).

I want to re-iterate that I think if the Texans are going to get a QB from the draft, this is as good of a class as any to grab one.
the more research you do the more weaknesses you find
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #58
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post

Very true. I'm not liking what I see in Boyd, McCarron looks like a game manager QB but nothing special other than his girlfriend, Mettenberger has the size but he's not athletic or mobile (Schaub 2.0), I think Manziel lacks maturity, and I wasn't enthused by Fales either.

On the other hand I do like what I've seen in Aaron Murray, Brett Hundley, and Marcus Mariota. I haven't bothered to look at Bridgewater since he'll most likely be the #1 overall pick and I doubt we're that bad.

Anyone know anything about Stephen Morris from Miami?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #59
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Notable recent exception being Andrew Luck.
Old 10-16-2013   #60
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Very true. I'm not liking what I see in Boyd, McCarron looks like a game manager QB but nothing special other than his girlfriend, Mettenberger has the size but he's not athletic or mobile (Schaub 2.0), I think Manziel lacks maturity, and I wasn't enthused by Fales either.

On the other hand I do like what I've seen in Aaron Murray, Brett Hundley, and Marcus Mariota. I haven't bothered to look at Bridgewater since he'll most likely be the #1 overall pick and I doubt we're that bad.

Anyone know anything about Stephen Morris from Miami?
That's kind of how i feel about McCarron too. I originally thought fairly high of him b/c the physical tools are there, the mechanics are great, the competition he has faced is great. The big issue i have with him is i haven't seen enough of him with the pressure squarely on him to see how he handles it to really go all the way in for him. Saban does a good job of keeping him out of that role running the ball with that stable of RB's he seems to have every damn year.

I'm starting to back off on Boyd too. seems a little careless with the ball at times..someone mentioned he puts alot of air under his deep balls...kinda agree with that as well. All that can be fixed though. I'll be really tuned in this weekend to see how he handles FSU.

I originally felt the same way about Metenberger although i'm starting to feel he might be the safest pick. Don't really care if can't run like Luck or RG3...just move around in the pocket well and keep your eyes downfield..he's seems to be decent at that.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read