Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-16-2013   #1
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What does Keenum have to do to convince you he's the guy going forward?

simple question... b/c at this point its a matter of "if" but "when".

Is it something as simple as just not turning the ball over or making plays?

Or is it specific like a certain stat line or a stat line in conjunction with a few other things?

I kind have mixed feelings about this. I think i'd need to see a combination of great stats and...how kubiak handles him....how he plays when the bright lights are on etc...

Last edited by Mr teX; 10-16-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #2
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What does Keenum have to do to convince you he's the guy going forward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
simple question... b/c at this point its a matter of "when" not "if".

Is it something as simple as just not turning the ball over or making plays?

Or is it specific like a certain stat line or a stat line in conjunction with a few other things?

I kind have mixed feelings about this. I think i'd need to see a combination of great stats and...how kubiak handles him....how he plays when the bright lights are on etc...
All Keenum has to do is the exact opposite of what Schaub is doing now and I would be satisfied and the Texans would be winning...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What does Keenum have to do to convince you he's the guy going forward?

Apparently....nothing
Old 10-16-2013   #4
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Make a few threads about being given a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
All Keenum has to do is the exact opposite of what Schaub is doing now and I would be satisfied and the Texans would be winning...
Blown out in 3 of the last 4 games....you think starting case is gonna fix all those problems that contributed to that?
Old 10-16-2013   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Just maximize and seize his opportunity when it comes. And I don't care about pretty stats (just wins), just don't make the "shoots self in foot" plays the other two have made. Also I would actually like to see some on the field vocal leadership which has never been a strong quality of Schaub or Yates. Basically I'd just like to see he can run this offense and display some moxie/energy while doing so.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Just maximize and seize his opportunity when it comes. And I don't care about pretty stats (just wins), just don't make the "shoots self in foot" plays the other two have made. Also I would actually like to see some on the field vocal leadership which has never been a strong quality of Schaub or Yates. Basically I'd just like to see he can run this offense and display some moxie/energy while doing so.
but what if he does all that, but we still don't win?.....not blowout losses like we've seen lately, but close losses.

Would you still feel like we should continue to develop this kid & he be brought in as the incumbent next year or bring in a 1st rounder to compete with him?
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2013   #8
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why the NFL is sleeping on Keenum. The U of H program didn't win any games against big teams under Kolb. Keenum was the QB that brought wins against big schools to U of H. From what I've seen, the kat makes quick decisions, and gets the ball out. When the defense breaks past the o-line, which happened dang near every pass play when Keenum was in college, he had enough quickness, pocket awareness ,and speed to make a positive play. U of H couldn't stop anybody worth a damn, but under Keenum, they put up points on EVERYBODY.

Schaub and Yates can't do that.
Old 10-16-2013   #9
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

What Id like to know is if he starts what would have to happen for the Case crew to fold and say he cant play. I imagine if he gets game time any bad play will be explained away for a million reasons other than Case being Case
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #10
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I don't know why the NFL is sleeping on Keenum. The U of H program didn't win any games against big teams under Kolb. Keenum was the QB that brought wins against big schools to U of H. From what I've seen, the kat makes quick decisions, and gets the ball out. When the defense breaks past the o-line, which happened dang near every pass play when Keenum was in college, he had enough quickness, pocket awareness ,and speed to make a positive play. U of H couldn't stop anybody worth a damn, but under Keenum, they put up points on EVERYBODY.

They are all sleeping on him. Like Jon Gruden said, he will make coaches sorry that he didn't pick him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
What Id like to know is if he starts what would have to happen for the Case crew to fold and say he cant play. I imagine if he gets game time any bad play will be explained away for a million reasons other than Case being Case
He'll be alright. Just be back here to eat your crow.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I don't know why the NFL is sleeping on Keenum. The U of H program didn't win any games against big teams under Kolb.
I'm hoping they're afraid he's just a system QB & think he's going to flash from time to time, but fail like Kolb did.

I'm hoping they're wrong, because it fuels that belief that we may very well have a franchise QB on the roster.
Old 10-16-2013   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

To prove that he's the guy going forward? Like next franchise QB guy, or stopgap guy? If we are talking the former then we are looking for a player that makes you go "wow" with his plays. Not just manages the games but makes plays. Down the field. Cool under pressure, accurate as hell, has escapability, and is smart with where he goes with the football.

For stopgap the criteria is much much easier. Just don't **** things up too badly.
Old 10-16-2013   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:

That's not true at all. Kolb led U of H to a few big wins. He also led U of H to a conference championship (something Keenum did not do although he had the chance to his last year there Until Southern Miss sat on them in the championship game) The coogs in his era also put up points on everyone too...that's the benefits of running spread systems. Both guys beat Ok. State when they were ranked. I don't recall either guy beating any other major ranked teams.
Old 10-16-2013   #14
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
You mean like you do for Schaub?

What's with the hate anyways? I mean what makes you a member of the "Case crew"? Im not even a UofH fan, but I do want to see him get a shot. You act like we're putting Tom Brady or Brees on the bench to see him play or something. Newsflash, the crappy play of Schaub and Yates is the only reason why this is even a realistic discussion so if you want to blame someone for the "Case crew", blame them
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #15
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see fire, the will to win ! On 3rd and 4 he sees nothing there and he tries to run for it. Or when we're down by 10 in the 4th i want to see a confident QB who is trying to rally the troops on the sideline. Good thing for us is keenum has that desire to win and that fire in him. Noone knows if he can be a franchise QB but he has the will to win and skill set to do it, no better time than now to find out IMO.
Old 10-16-2013   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless Keenum comes in and throws for a jillion yards and TDs, you probably won't know if he's starter material after just one game anyway. And if he does come in, he'll be running Kubiaks ultra-conservative game plan. So if Keenum does come in, he just needs to NOT make mistakes and NOT continually throw behind the receivers.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #17
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Lead touchdown drives, plain and simple. Some guys just have it, they're not always pretty just effective.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #18
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
To prove that he's the guy going forward? Like next franchise QB guy, or stopgap guy? If we are talking the former then we are looking for a player that makes you go "wow" with his plays. Not just manages the games but makes plays. Down the field. Cool under pressure, accurate as hell, has escapability, and is smart with where he goes with the football.

For stopgap the criteria is much much easier. Just don't **** things up too badly.
we could find a stop gap guy in FA..they're all over the place. People seem to think he can be a franchise guy here...especially running Kubiak's qb friendly system. So i guess i meant more in that aspect.
Old 10-16-2013   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's say he finishes out the season. Would you be happy with the stats of another QB who started in his 2nd year?

W/L 50%, 60.8 % comp., 1:1 TD:INT, 6.2 ypa, 205 ypg, 76.9 QB rating.

Would that be good enough for you to anoint him for next year or would you still be looking for a new starter?
Old 10-16-2013   #20
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Let's say he finishes out the season. Would you be happy with the stats of another QB who started in his 2nd year?

W/L 50%, 60.8 % comp., 1:1 TD:INT, 6.2 ypa, 205 ypg, 76.9 QB rating.

Would that be good enough for you to anoint him for next year or would you still be looking for a new starter?
This is a trick question, isn't it? I'm not playing because I know you've got something up your sleeve. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read