Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-14-2013   #121
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Kubes is fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Don't understand why people keep wanting Lovie Smith. i mean here's a guy who had untold amount of years to solidfy the qb position in Chicago..ultimately couldn't do it & at one point was overly loyal to a certain former texans qb until the FO made him do something......still got him fired b/c he couldn't even anchor a successful offense with a better qb. This very Texans regime had no issues handling his teams over the years either.
The problem is Chicago seems like it stems more from Angelo's tenure as GM. He'd make picks that would leave Matt Millen blushing.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #122
Ghostform
Veteran

Rep Power: 7329 Ghostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respected

IF hes fired:

If hes here next year:

Ghostform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #123
busterspencer
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 busterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan View Post
I was going to mention Kyle Shanahan as well, Bob might want to stick with the same system on offense...
You guys gotta be ******** me. Kyle is not winning at Washington as an OC. That is part of the problem now. We have a coach that has never been a head coach and I do not want to wait while he grows into it or not.

I love Sumlin but will take the Baylor coach. There is no-one except Jeff Fisher in the NFL that floats my boat and he is not comming here.
Old 10-14-2013   #124
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Just like Kubiak: nice guy, mediocre coach. McNair will make a splash or just go with Wade......which scares me
I'd have more respect for McNair if he promotes Dennison to interim coach.

Make Vance Joseph or Chick Harris the interim coach... anybody but Wade.
Old 10-14-2013   #125
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

GM = ERIC DeCOSTA

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/...f-d8f1ba782a54

HEAD COACH

1. DAVID SHAW, HC Stanford, 9 years exp in the NFL, father an NFL coach, Stanford teams ALWAYS well prepared in all 3PHASES of the game.

http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticl...CLID=208167799

2. DARRELL BEVELL, OC Seattle the guy who is responsible for drafting Russell Wilson and starting him at QB for the Seahawks.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches...2-058db004a066

3. DAN QUINN, DC Seattle smart young up coming coach, Top 10 defenses are his forte.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches...f-6252b753e9d2

4. Sean McDermott, DC Carolina,

http://www.panthers.com/team/coaches...6-b29026712d99

Last edited by Texian; 10-14-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #126
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all in on Shaw and drafting a Brett Hundley...and if we were able to give Quinn a raise to come takeover the D, that would be the cherry on top.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #127
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
GM = ERIC DeCOSTA

HEAD COACH

1. DAVID SHAW, HC Stanford, 9 years exp in the NFL, father an NFL coach, Stanford teams ALWAYS well prepared in all 3PHASES of the game.

2. DARRELL BEVELL, OC Seattle the guy who is responsible for drafting Russell Wilson and starting him at QB for the Seahawks.

3. DAN QUINN, DC Seattle smart young up coming coach, Top 10 defenses are his forte.

4. Sen McDermott, DC Carolina,

We get it. We're not as smart as you. Do you have to flaunt us with your intelligence?
Old 10-14-2013   #128
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
GM = ERIC DeCOSTA

HEAD COACH

4. Sen McDermott, DC Carolina,

Great list. I like DeCosta a lot. Clean house and allow him to bring a coach of his choosing. He helped select Harbaugh as Ravens coach so he has a good track record.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #129
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm still mostly on the kubiak bandwagon. for me the big change has to be in the playcalling. this team is absolutely loaded with talent, with no less than 5 drafted texans being arguably the best at their position. i dont want to give up what kubiak and wade bring to this team as coaches, teachers, talent evaluators, and their schemes. what i would like is a fresh idea to get these guys away from their tendencies a little. not a conflict like sherman was, but a compliment like kyle was growing into.

gary kubiak and wade phillips would be my lifetime coaches like you'd see with the steelers. they have everything you want on offense and defense, on the practice field, podium, locker room, draft, and drawing board. much like finding wade was needed for kubiak, finding the right offensive coordinator will have the same life changing impact. wade is similar, i think he would benefit from a protege, but wade's defense is built purely on 1v1 talent. our defense is young, and we just need to keep adding to it for wade's defense to keep performing at it's best.

Last edited by Scooter; 10-15-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #130
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'm still mostly on the kubiak bandwagon.
I understand & I'd rather Kubiak turn it around than not. I want to win a Super Bowl more than I want a coach who watches field goals. But I don't agree with the play-calling changes.

Getting players out of their tendencies... yes, specifically Schaub, or whoever the QB is. There was a time when mistakes was the biggest issue & we spent a lot of energy to reign our QBs in & take away those mistakes. But right now, we need to put a premium on making plays. If the plays are there in the design of the play, his QB has got to pull the trigger & it's just not happening. Schaub used to be really good at taking what the defense gave us & put up points in the process. Now, not so much.

That's a touchdown. Not very risky if he throws it right. If he stands tall, like he used to do that's a touchdown right there. Instead, he leaves the pocket & settles for a throw a yard short of the goal line.

All day, there were throws to be made but he didn't take them. Some wide open. I understand there were times when he had pressure in his face. I understand there were times when protection broke down. But he's got to beat that (like he used to) just like he's got to beat coverage down field.
Old 10-15-2013   #131
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

that's my issue. i'm having trouble with several of kubiak's playcalls, and the predictability of his play progression, but it's not all kubiak. just because someone's running a flare or out route, doesnt mean he's the only player available. there are 4 other eligible receivers on the field.

the standout to me is the pick 6 from yates. the announcer knew the primary target, we knew it, and the rams knew it. and still yates stared it down and threw the ball knowing 2 defenders were sitting on it. was everyone else standing around? is that the only route being run? kubiak in helping schaub has shortened the routes it seems, but schaub (and yates) is the one dumbing it down. short 1 or dump, no reads involved. our offense currently has a very david carr feel, the guy who tied the consecutive completions record without ever meaningfully moving the ball.
Old 10-15-2013   #132
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 99520 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Guys, enough with this Gruden nonsense. The guy is a fraud, and players hate him because he is a phony. Tampa fired him after the owners did a little research into the team, and talked to players about Gruden. The players - who has been fed up with their a-hole phony of a coach - dogged him to the owners. Look it up.

All of the scary faces and whatnot means nothing. He's a phony, and his emotions aren't even real. He has a reputation for tossing his players under the bus behind their backs. Why do you think he hasn't been re-hired?

Gruden is non-starter.

I'm really liking the Lovie Smith suggestions, though...
Don't know man. The story around here is that the Glaziers checked out after the Super Bowl win, putting all of their attention on Man U. Meaning they left Chuckie high and dry in the sense of not re-signing good players and replacing them with scrubs.

Now that the Glaziers have decided to come back to Florida and put attention on the team again, many fans here want Gruden back because they think he could do a lot with the talent that is here now.

As for the situation of players "fed up with their a-hole phony of a coach" that is what they have now in Rutgers Hitler.

Personally I really like Gruden. He would be a major upgrade over that "it's all on me (however I am going to keep doing the same things over and over again)" guy that we have now.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #133
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

HC's i would like to see (in no particular order):
Nick Saban
Mike Zimmer (runs a 4-3 defence though)
David Shaw
Lovie Smith (runs a 4-3 defence though)
Les Miles
Urban Meyer
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #134
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68323 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of these suggestions are terrible. Jack Del Rio? Really people?

I think Kubiak's time is up, or very damn near up if we don't go on a win 8 or 9 out of 11 game stretch.

One thing I've wanted to comment on is OC. I feel like we don't have enough creativity with Dennison. Felt this way for a couple of years now. I think that's hurt this team a lot. We miss Kyle Shanahan more than it seems. I know we still have "top offenses" statistically, but it's just not the same at all.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #135
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

The Kyle Shanahan love is a bit thick. He was OC for just two years and one of those was in name only (the first season he did not even make the initial play call). So only in 2009 did he act as OC and even then Kubiak retained override authority as he has done with Dennison. The offensive ranking on points has equaled or bettered that season in each season since. To be fair that is the season Schaub and Johnson led the league at their respective positions although we have since been told yardage doesn't count.
Old 10-16-2013   #136
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Sherman? We don't have to change much on O side. A little be more power than finesse.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #137
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The Kyle Shanahan love is a bit thick. He was OC for just two years and one of those was in name only (the first season he did not even make the initial play call). So only in 2009 did he act as OC and even then Kubiak retained override authority as he has done with Dennison. The offensive ranking on points has equaled or bettered that season in each season since. To be fair that is the season Schaub and Johnson led the league at their respective positions although we have since been told yardage doesn't count.
What good is yardage if you can't convert for a touchdown?
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #138
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Is Mike Smith out of a job if the Falcons don't make the play-offs?
Old 10-16-2013   #139
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

A few questions for the fans and supporters of Kevin Sumlin to be the next HC.

Does the fact that Sumlin has no NFL experience concern you?

Does the fact that A&M's defense is not very good bother you at all?

If you take Johnny Football out of the offense would the A&M offense be average at best?
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #140
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
You name any and everybody you want to coach this team...

Knowing how Bob McNair works and watching him the last 10+ years, the next head coach is residing as this teams current DC.

No freaking way Bob McNair is not going to hire Bum's son in hopes of Wade Phillips taking this team to a Super Bowl. He has hung onto this fairly tale of the local boy who was a ball boy for the Oilers turned HC to take this team to the promise land, but that fairy tale is just that.

Now the chance for Bum's son to take over the reigns, it will be another 5 years of mediocrity and sadness until Bob McNair pulls his head out of his over-loyal ass and learns how a football team is ran....
You hit the nail on the head. The folks that have paid attention for the past decade get it.

Not because Wade is the best choice, but rather because this is exactly how Bob McNair operates his franchise.

Completely overhauling a front office is, in his words, a traumatic experience. It is obviously a task that he neither relishes nor finds positive.

The safe choice is Wade. They will mix up some staff, but for the most part, many of the same pieces would remain in place. They would keep the defensive scheme, so half the roster already fits.

However, I do not see it happening before 2014 unless the Texans have already won all the games they will win this year. Doubtful this team is that bad, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Never got that sense. Wade has proven to be if anything softer as a head coach than Kubiak with about the same sort of pretty good non-great success. Really no reason to have a 70 year old version of what you already have.

Not convinced that Kubiak is in as much trouble as he should be anyway.
Your last line says it all. Fans can clamor and protest until they are blue in the face, but it means absolutely nothing to our owner.

He will let Kubiak go when he's ready to let go, not when the market dictates it to him.

I'm sure McNair appreciates fan loyalty and merchandise purchases, but let's not be delusional that he finds any of us enlightening on this particular subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I have always done that in sports. I have my main teams, and then I have my secondary team and another tema or two that I like usually because of who the QB's are or because of players I like from college. After the Texans I've always rooted for the Patriots out of being a Brady. The comeback drive from Brady yesterday was magical. One for the ages. The Texans don't get me as emotional as they used to. I have learned to expect bad things under Kubiak, so I am usually not surprised.
You know I've been the same about Brady/Patriots. They are fun to watch. That victory against the Saints was amazing, but so 'normal' for Brady. We probably both watched the ending just because we know it's in him and Belichick to never give up until 0:00 is on the clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well let's see:

He mismanaged QBs.
His teams were erratic.
His teams were undisciplined.
His temper tantrums were annoying.
Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Reggie Nelson, Derrick Harvey + a LT they just traded for a box of kittens and a TE in the 1st who hasn't been as productive as OD from the same draft.
With the exception of 2004-6 he failed to build a good D - and those were good mainly due to Coughlin draft picks Stroud and Henderson.

Oh and he was 65 - 63 with 1 playoff win.
Okay, so you have facts.

But...but....Jack LOOKS like a head coach! And apparently, that's important to some folks.

Just because his resume screams "I am a coordinator" as much as Kubiak's does, let's not get in the way of a good popularity contest based on superficial reasons.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read