Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2013   #41
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 29061 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coaching Leadership, would like to see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
in the nfl? Oh wait you are talking about meaningless college stats
Only data we have. He has never lost an NFL start. Your main argument is that Keenum should not start because Yates has a bad record as a starter. Brillant.

Or your backup argument that no one should start until they have had 3 weeks working with the starters. Since the only person who has worked with the starters before this week is injured I guess you want to punt on 1st down every time next week (which would cut down on the pick 6s but I'm not that confident about the coverage team).
Old 10-15-2013   #42
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Having the gift of sight ...
yeah...well if your gift of sight was so grand, you'd "see" everything Case did in preseason was against alot of guys who are either sitting at home with us watching the games or are so far buried under the bench most of their own teams' fans don't even know they're still on the team.

i mean i get it...there are 2 sides to the potential thing here.

"A wise man sees as much as he ought, not as much as he can." crowd...

Then there's

"potential just means you haven't done anything" crowd...

But the latter usually happens far more often than than the former....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #43
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 55784 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
In the past 3 weeks I've seen two coaches, Pete Carroll and Jeff Fisher, rally their troops. Pete Carroll did it in the 4th quarter when he saw his team cut down a lead, and Fis
her did it when he smelled blood in the water and felt he could come out of the game with a win. Fisher probably thought to himself that his team was young enough to give up a lead so why not rally the troops and get everyone on the same mindset.

I have yet to see Kubiak do that this season when his team needed it the most.

Some may say 'you are screwed already if you have to rally the troops' but I think a coach has to rise to the occasion when he sees his team getting beat and not looking like they want to try.Talk about winning the game and how that's more important and that we still can win etc.... Instead we just see him looking mad on the sideline.

Past 3 weeks? how about the past 8 years? I have seen coaches come into a new team, rally them into a frenzy and within a year or so, in the Super Bowl. Gary Kubiak hasn't been able to do that for 8 years now and he will never be able to do it.

Gary Kubiak has absolutely ZERO motivation skills.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Pickspatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #44
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 29061 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Again..............for the 300th time.................... what on earth could you possibly be basing the bolded statement on? What has he done in the NFL to keep making this statement? You guys keep saying this & you have 0 to hang your hat on...

Don't get me wrong, i would want nothing more than my fellow Coog to come in, take this team by the reigns & lead us to the playoffs & be the guy for the next 10 years. But it flies completely in the face of logic to say the bolded. There is nothing on his NFL resume to indicate that & you guys have to stop with the hyperbole.

It doesn't mean you don't give him a shot....

It doesn't mean that the potential isn't there.....

It doesn't mean that he can't become a quality NFL starter...
I agree that Keenum has done zero in the NFL. But the statement that he is the only one who can (possibly) do anything positive is 100% correct because we have seen the other guys play and we are certain they are worse than zero. Will Keenum ever be better than, say Christian Ponder? I doubt it, but he's the only person on the Texans roster with a chance of it (at least until Owen Daniels gets off IR).

And most people arguing against him ARE saying he should NEVER get a shot.
Old 10-15-2013   #45
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 4570 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Mr teX;2230342]Again..............for the 300th time.................... what on earth could you possibly be basing the bolded statement on? What has he done in the NFL to keep making this statement? You guys keep saying this & you have 0 to hang your hat on....making it seem like this is Doug Flutie coming back to the NFL after winning all kinds of grey cups in the CFL.

His physical skill set? Ok, there are lots of guys in the NFL (& out of the NFL) with his skill set..some of them have even better skill sets...So what? It does not project them to be NFL quality starters.

Don't get me wrong, i would want nothing more than my fellow Coog to come in, take this team by the reigns & lead us to the playoffs & be the guy for the next 10 years. But it flies completely in the face of logic to say the bolded. There is nothing on his NFL resume to indicate that & you guys have to stop with the hyperbole.

Keenum's unknown is not a no. It's known Schaub and Yates cannot do it at this point. Therefore as of right now Keenum is the only one possible. Once he plays we will see. How did you know which qb's would be good, great or trash? They had to play whether if they were believed in or not. Keenum has shown greater potential than Schaub and Yates as quarterbacks this year for where the nfl is right now at that position.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #46
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

How can you possibly know that Yates can't win games? He was put in a horrible position last week with what was probably less than five first-string practice snaps. Both Case and Yates have earned a shot, whether Schaub was injured or not. Yates more so than Keenum at this point, in my opinion.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #47
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Only data we have. He has never lost an NFL start. Your main argument is that Keenum should not start because Yates has a bad record as a starter. Brillant.

Or your backup argument that no one should start until they have had 3 weeks working with the starters. Since the only person who has worked with the starters before this week is injured I guess you want to punt on 1st down every time next week (which would cut down on the pick 6s but I'm not that confident about the coverage team).

My backup argument? What are you talking about? I said if you really like Case his best bet is the let TJ get smashed this weekend and take two full weeks to get ready. I never said you had to have the snaps but it certainly makes sense
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #48
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, this is depressing.

Seeing fans argue about starting an untested 3rd string QB as our only hope to salvage a 2-4 season that is circling the drain inspires nothing positive in me.

Seriously, I hope for the best with Keenum, as well. But, let's be pragmatic about it. He's undrafted, practice squad, 3rd string for a reason.

And the weird thing is seeing Case supporters rip Kubiak. If you're honest about it, Kubiak is the ONLY reason Keenum has even the slightest chance to take a snap in the NFL. 31 team have passed on him for years. But, I'm sure if Case fails, it will be blamed on Kubiak, regardless of the fact that Kubiak is the only coach in the league that has any belief in him.

What an effed up paradox for a season that was supposed to start with high hopes.

At this point, I say start Keenum, just because it does feel that desperate right now. At least we can see what the kid is made of and get all the hopeful speculation to calm down in the face of actual game performance.

Heck, he can't do any worse than Schaub has been.
Old 10-15-2013   #49
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Man, this is depressing.

Seeing fans argue about starting an untested 3rd string QB as our only hope to salvage a 2-4 season that is circling the drain inspires nothing positive in me.

Seriously, I hope for the best with Keenum, as well. But, let's be pragmatic about it. He's undrafted, practice squad, 3rd string for a reason.

And the weird thing is seeing Case supporters rip Kubiak. If you're honest about it, Kubiak is the ONLY reason Keenum has even the slightest chance to take a snap in the NFL. 31 team have passed on him for years. But, I'm sure if Case fails, it will be blamed on Kubiak, regardless of the fact that Kubiak is the only coach in the league that has any belief in him.

What an effed up paradox for a season that was supposed to start with high hopes.

At this point, I say start Keenum, just because it does feel that desperate right now. At least we can see what the kid is made of and get all the hopeful speculation to calm down in the face of actual game performance.

Heck, he can't do any worse than Schaub has been.
Yeppers! Let's see, we have an immobile starter that's been Carr'd and has a bad wheel. A #2 who tries his darndest to emulate the starter. And a #3 who's never seen action during the regular season, but threw a dandy of a pass on 4th down during preseason.

Yup, give the #3 a shot. Holy moly. We should've given Lechler a shot the other day. At least he was dressed out.

Lol! I don't know why...but I still think we can win this Sunday.
Old 10-15-2013   #50
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well that awesome preseason performance was only enough to earn him the #3 and it was the same QB coaching talents you speak of that put him #3, kept him there and put Yates in Sunday.
I'm sure it couldn't have anything to do with one being drafted and the other being an UDFA. Nah, we've never had a skill position on Offense decided by that criteria...oh wait.
Old 10-15-2013   #51
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I'm sure it couldn't have anything to do with one being drafted and the other being an UDFA. Nah, we've never had a skill position on Offense decided by that criteria...oh wait.

Couldnt be fans over thinking it could it?
Old 10-15-2013   #52
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yeppers! Let's see, we have an immobile starter that's been Carr'd and has a bad wheel. A #2 who tries his darndest to emulate the starter. And a #3 who's never seen action during the regular season, but threw a dandy of a pass on 4th down during preseason.

Yup, give the #3 a shot. Holy moly. We should've given Lechler a shot the other day. At least he was dressed out.

Lol! I don't know why...but I still think we can win this Sunday.
yeah, it's weird. I kinda' feel the same way. *puff puff pass*

If I was a betting man, my money would be on the Chiefs.

However, as a Texans fan, I do not feel completely hopeless about this game.

Maybe this is how those people in Pompeii felt when they thought they heard thunder?
Old 10-15-2013   #53
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
yeah, it's weird. I kinda' feel the same way. *puff puff pass*

If I was a betting man, my money would be on the Chiefs.

However, as a Texans fan, I do not feel completely hopeless about this game.

Maybe this is how those people in Pompeii felt when they thought they heard thunder?
Strange, for sure

*Off topic* I've been to Pompeii. Amazing! The way artifacts were preserved by ash and seeing them in real life was awe-inspiring.
Old 10-15-2013   #54
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates or Keenum will likely not spark this 2-4 team into the playoffs. And I agree that Yates was put in a bad situation last week. Even so, your job as a backup is to be ready to play when the #1 goes down.

Yates stepped in and looked like Schaub in SF. He didn't go through progressions and he made terrible reads on his 2 INTs

I think whoever starts on Sunday is going to be in a very tough spot since KC's defense is pretty aggressive. Our game plan needs to get a lot more creative than what's we've been trotting out there if we even wanna contend.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #55
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Couldnt be fans over thinking it could it?
Or Kubiak under-thinking it? Schaub isn't right in the head (not to mention the ankle) and we've seen just how high that Yates ceiling goes.

I was all for letting Case have another season on the bench to learn, but it all depends on whether you think the current #1 & #2 can get it done.
Old 10-15-2013   #56
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Or Kubiak under-thinking it? Schaub isn't right in the head (not to mention the ankle) and we've seen just how high that Yates ceiling goes.

I was all for letting Case have another season on the bench to learn, but it all depends on whether you think the current #1 & #2 can get it done.

Truth is back then foster wasnt showing up like he should to practice and that played into his udfa/vet issue. Odds are Case is not another Foster, nfl history would put odds in that favor too. Odds are fans are reaching for an unknown
Old 10-15-2013   #57
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147527 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
Yates or Keenum will likely not spark this 2-4 team into the playoffs. And I agree that Yates was put in a bad situation last week. Even so, your job as a backup is to be ready to play when the #1 goes down.

Yates stepped in and looked like Schaub in SF. He didn't go through progressions and he made terrible reads on his 2 INTs

I think whoever starts on Sunday is going to be in a very tough spot since KC's defense is pretty aggressive. Our game plan needs to get a lot more creative than what's we've been trotting out there if we even wanna contend.
Yates played scared, much like Schaub does. And playing scaredy-cat check-down ball in a painfully predictable scheme like ol' Coach Milquetoast's, well, you're going to get pick 6's left and right. Because the same checkdown to the flat receiver that Kubes calls for Schaub will be called for Yates. Believe in The System, people! The System! The System! The s y s t e m....

Meanwhile, Case may not have that same playing scared mentality because, let's face it, he was undrafted. No one REALLY thinks he can play at the pro level. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain. That makes him dangerous. In both a good and a bad way. And hell, I'll take flaming out in spectacular fashion with an undrafted 3rd stringer who will wing the ball 50 yards down field rather than death by a thousand paper cuts...or in this case, death by a thousand dink and dunk passes 4 yards behind the first down marker.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #58
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post

I don't expect Keenum to spark this team into the playoffs - in other words, sustaining a prospective good showing in a debut. But I am hoping that he pumps some life into some players, so that they can believe again. If that means a healthy Schuab steps back in a few games later - fine.

Right now, this team needs a jolt. They need something to make them believe again.
Old 10-15-2013   #59
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Quote:
Odds are fans are reaching for an unknown
When the known is currently awful...why not?
Old 10-15-2013   #60
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
When the known is currently awful...why not?
Coaches tend to have more insight then fans.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read