Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-11-2013   #161
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak sticking with Schaub - still named starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Ha, that's awesome

Gotta spread the rep
Also got to spread the rep.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #162
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
Close, but in the "What Matt Schaub sees" part there should only be Owen Daniels and Andre Johnson.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #163
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Ha, that's awesome

Gotta spread the rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Also got to spread the rep.
Got him.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #164
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Others have said it as well, Matt Schaub looks physically healthier than he has in a long while. He's stepping into his throws well. My opinion, he's been very accurate. Only one of those INTs was on a poorly thrown ball & it was a bad, panicked decision by Schaub... something he doesn't always do.
Yes, others that are equally delusional have said that Matt Schaub looks healthier.

Very accurate, even on the interceptions? Do you ever go back and read these things aloud before posting?
Old 10-13-2013   #165
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

We keep thinking that Kubiak is holding on to Schaub because he is loyal to him.
Could it be that Yates and / or Keenum are known commodities? Kubes does see them in practice every week. Could it be that he just thinks they are too terrible to be out there?

I'm not saying that I agree with Kubes. I would imagine that if we had an early round pick on the bench he'd be playing right now and this decision wouldn't be so "tough"
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #166
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I would imagine that if we had an early round pick on the bench he'd be playing right now and this decision wouldn't be so "tough"
If the Texans had spent an early round pick on a QB, that would have been an admission that Schaub is not the guy long term. So yeah, they would be further down the road to the decision they will eventually have to make, for sure had they taken a Geno Smith or moved up for EJ Manuel, But, they choose to give Schaub an additional weapon, instead.

Regarding Yates and Keenum stinking it up in practice, that's a wild arse assumption. They both had better preseasons than Schaub, though they went against reserves. But, they were playing with reserves and guys that are no longer in the league, as well. Kubiak kept both on the 53 man roster (which I agreed with). They are both better athletes with (at this point) stronger arms. Kubiak has had 3 years to coach up Yates, 2 with Keenum. By keeping these guys and not looking for a vet like Cassel or Fitzpatrick, they displayed confidence in them. There's little chance the backups could fail at the level Schaub has. Yates, and Keenum if TJ fails, deserves a chance to right the ship.

Fear of change and worrying about hurting Schaub's psyche are what is keeping Kubiak from pulling the trigger. Well, wait until Schaub throws an incompletion today (much less an interception), and we'll see how Matt handles the booing that will ensue. This was the game to bring in Yates and get his feet wet.
Old 10-13-2013   #167
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We keep thinking that Kubiak is holding on to Schaub because he is loyal to him.
Could it be that Yates and / or Keenum are known commodities? Kubes does see them in practice every week. Could it be that he just thinks they are too terrible to be out there?

I'm not saying that I agree with Kubes. I would imagine that if we had an early round pick on the bench he'd be playing right now and this decision wouldn't be so "tough"
Why do you think that a rookie would serve the team better than a veteran with playing experience or a very good college QB (spare me the system QB mantra)? About the only absolute advantage a high draft pick rookie gives you is a longer leash. Sometimes to the teams detriment. Just look at the NYJ's, the Browns, Rams or Cardinals. Or Detroit for that matter.

I'm much more impressed with a coach who has the stones to pull the trigger like Carroll or Harbaugh did last season. Look at how both of those teams responded. For every Andrew Luck, there are 10 JaMarcus Russell's.
Old 10-13-2013   #168
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I think Kubiak knows that he can game plan Tj/Case to victory, just like he can coach Matt Schaub to victory. The unknown is how will Tj/Case read/react to NFL defenses. Can they get us out of a bad play into a good play? How are they going to react to a bad throw? Are they going to be able to forget the last play & move on to the next?

I know people are going to say Schaub can't do those things, but when asked about the INTs Kubiak said they were all different. That Schaub isn't doing the same thing over & over, tipping the defense.

Speaking of how poorly Schaub is playing. When I watch Gabbert play, or when I watched Lienart play, or when I watched David Carr play... I see poor QB play. Poor throws, poor reads, happy feet, indecisive...

I'm not seeing any of that with Schaub. Take away the two INTs, Schaub out played Andrew Luck vs Seattle. Find one game Gabbert out played Luck.

If you remember the tiers that we've put Schaub in before. Cutler, Eli, Flacco, Rivers..... Romo... they're all doing about the same right now. Some a little better in some categories than others. Some a little worse than others in other categories. 1 game better or worse in the W-L column...... but none of them are in any real danger of getting benched but Schaub. & that's because of something he really has no control over. That second INT towards Andre in the SF game, could've been a pick 6, wasn't because of what Andre did, not what Schaub did. The one Eric Reed dropped... Schaub didn't do anything different, but that should have been a pick 6.
Old 10-13-2013   #169
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Watching Sunday NFL Countdown and they asked Ray Lewis about when your QB is struggling/or is no good what they did. He mentioned when Tony Banks was struggling the coach Billick came to the leaders and asked them should they stick with Banks and go down with a sinking ship or make change. Change was made to Dilfer and they went on to SB. Do you think Kubiak got leaders together?

No we will sink. I think change will be made but only after too late.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #170
RunningTheSouth
Rookie

Time to bench Schaub, he sucks!
RunningTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #171
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We did see them in preseason and MS and Yates looked basically like they have in preseason. Ms stalled in preseason and Yates just checked down. We also saw Case and he had a couple plays the other two did not.
Kubiak/Smith sticking with Schaub because if they don't they are admitting they screwed up by giving Matt big contract. Self preservation to the end baby.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #172
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74062 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWfWx0tIAAAW5nU.jpg

Look at pic. Schaub is going to miss some time
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #173
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 214832 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Kubiak knows that he can game plan Tj/Case to victory, just like he can coach Matt Schaub to victory. The unknown is how will Tj/Case read/react to NFL defenses. Can they get us out of a bad play into a good play? How are they going to react to a bad throw? Are they going to be able to forget the last play & move on to the next?

I know people are going to say Schaub can't do those things, but when asked about the INTs Kubiak said they were all different. That Schaub isn't doing the same thing over & over, tipping the defense.

Speaking of how poorly Schaub is playing. When I watch Gabbert play, or when I watched Lienart play, or when I watched David Carr play... I see poor QB play. Poor throws, poor reads, happy feet, indecisive...

I'm not seeing any of that with Schaub. Take away the two INTs, Schaub out played Andrew Luck vs Seattle. Find one game Gabbert out played Luck.

If you remember the tiers that we've put Schaub in before. Cutler, Eli, Flacco, Rivers..... Romo... they're all doing about the same right now. Some a little better in some categories than others. Some a little worse than others in other categories. 1 game better or worse in the W-L column...... but none of them are in any real danger of getting benched but Schaub. & that's because of something he really has no control over. That second INT towards Andre in the SF game, could've been a pick 6, wasn't because of what Andre did, not what Schaub did. The one Eric Reed dropped... Schaub didn't do anything different, but that should have been a pick 6.
You been spending way too much time with this cat.

Old 10-13-2013   #174
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 24148 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Kubiak knows that he can game plan Tj/Case to victory, just like he can coach Matt Schaub to victory.
Is there some point during the season where he will finally find this winning game plan you speak of?

I swear, sometimes I think you just throw this stuff out there so you can be the one that says "SEE, I TOLD YOU SO" when this blind squirrel finally finds a nut.

Schaub isn't going anywhere until Kubiak is gone.
Old 10-13-2013   #175
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_Oki View Post
Is there some point during the season where he will finally find this winning game plan you speak of?

I swear, sometimes I think you just throw this stuff out there so you can be the one that says "SEE, I TOLD YOU SO" when this blind squirrel finally finds a nut.

Schaub isn't going anywhere until Kubiak is gone.
If it makes you feel any better, I think Yates earned points by not folding after his pick 6. If you read the rest of that post you quoted, things like that are what I believe scares Kubiak the most about switchint QBs.
Old 10-13-2013   #176
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

My opinion

Kubes sucks. I've thought this for years and continued even in the playoff years. His ascending was due to Wade, not anything he did different.

Schaub is a good guy but he is descending. Weak arm, folds under pressure and is a mental case.

Window closing
Old 10-13-2013   #177
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, Kubiak may not have the tough decision this week since Schaub may be unable to go in KC.

I think Yates with a week of prep won't be all that much better than what we saw today. I really don't think Yates has that much more upside. I maybe completely wrong, but I'd like to see Keenum at least get some first team reps. If Yates struggles I think you need to look at Keenum early.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #178
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Back in the preseason when we had our back-up QB "competition" I said if I were the HC I would make my decision based on how well both guys ran the play they were given. If there was two plays to be made, but the QB decided to tuck it & run, he would get no points for the play regardless what the outcome of the play was. (Now if there wasn't a play to be made & he tucked, ran, & made a positive play he would get points.)

Watching the games on TV it's difficult to tell because the camera usually follows the ball & you can't see if there was a play to be made or not. All you see is the QB getting out of the pocket & making a play. With that said, I don't believe any of us have a good idea how far along either QB is into the playbook. However, since Keenum did not leapfrog Yates I believe it is safe to say if he is further into the playbook than Yates, it's marginal.

This was the first game I was able to make it to, even though I am a season ticket holder, many times work & family make it difficult to make all the games (priorities right?). What I saw today verified what I feared over the last 5 weeks. There are plays to be made downfield, but for one reason or another Schaub isn't making them.

Hopkins is really doing a great job getting open downfield & what little I saw of Martin... it's enough to make you sick. I know a lot of people have been blaming the play calling & the "antiquated" scheme..... but I believe Kubiak is every bit the guru he used to be.

Here is a screenshot I was able to capture, that shows we should have had a TD on our possession after the Hopkins fumble.

At that point in the frame you can see that the pocket is tight & Schaub is probably "feeling" that pressure on his back right. But if you look at Hopkins crossing the goal line, that ball should have already been out & in Hopkins' hands at that point in the frame.

You can see Andre at the bottom of the endzone with three guys around him. He's just making his break & would have been a possible throw as well if Schaub didn't bail.

This is David Carr syndrome.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 10-13-2013 at 09:35 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #179
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Schaub does a good job getting out of the pocket, looking as athletic as he ever has. Whatever he may be suffering from his Lisfranc did not stop him from making the throw from the pocket & it did not stop him from getting out of the pocket.

Biggest problem here is that he never looks at anyone but Keyshawn in the corner of the endzone. He eventually throws the ball short of Martins position & to the outside. Martin has to come out of the endzone & tap his toes to down the ball inside the 1 (can't believe we didn't go for it). Matt should have thrown the ball inside allowing Martin to stay in the end zone & separate from the CB behind him. Even if he had to throw it short of the goal line, Martin would have been able to make a play & have a chance of falling back into the end zone.

Another alternative, As Schaub approaches the LoS, the defenders around Graham believe him to be more of a threat than Graham. They leave Garrett & converge on Matt. If he had his senses, he could have got the ball to Graham giving him an opportunity to make a play.
Old 10-13-2013   #180
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Like I said earlier, there were plays to be made left on the field. For whatever reason, Schaub isn't pulling the trigger. Against SF Collinsworth said accuracy has to be Matt's thing. While it does have to be one of his "things" efficiently executing the play book has to be Matt's thing. That is the primary reason he should hold on to the starting position.

If he can't do that, if he's not accurate, if he can't take care of the ball... I can't think of what he brings to the table that Tj & Case can not.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read