Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2013   #1361
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Matt Schaub replacement this year could be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Then it would not make sense for Washington to part with him.
It does if they could pick up multiple picks this year and still have a chance to draft a QB that can slide right in if RG3 goes down, and still run the offense.

When Cousins comes in, it is looks like a different offense, I don't see the plays RG3 runs when Cousins is in.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #1362
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Come On Breh View Post
Yates...Certainly he stands a chance of doing better than throwing 4 pick 6s in a row.
IMO, it depends. First you have to correctly identify the reason for the pick 6es.
  1. Tennesse
    Looked like Schaub & Hopkins weren't on the same page
  2. Baltimore
    He was trying to lead OD... normally he'd put it on Owen's back hip. A much safer throw.
  3. Seattle
    Ill advised. He should have checked out of the play (maybe he was trying to make a play). He threw it up for grabs.... should've been inexcusable, but that's obviously not the case.
  4. San Francisco
    Telegraphing throws all day long.

Then you've got to ask wheter Tj would commit those same errors. He did throw 3 INTs in the divisional round, could/should have been 6. The fact that none of them were returned for TDs says more about the Ravens defense, than Schaub/Tj

I don't really know where I stand on this, Tj/Schaub/Yates, they've all got their pros & cons. If we win, I really don't care which way he goes, but he better be right. If he goes with Schaub (which he did) he better not come back in week 8 & say we're going a different direction. If he were to pick Tj/Case, he better be committed to it & make it work.
Old 10-10-2013   #1363
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
We can trade TJ Yates and Ben Tate.
That makes sense.

I think Cousin is & was their back up plan for Griffin, but Yates/Tate might help them win their division. I can see them doing it for that.

But that's all I would offer. I would not throw in a draft pick or a swap.

They may take Yates, Posey, & Jean.
Old 10-10-2013   #1364
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
It does if they could pick up multiple picks this year and still have a chance to draft a QB that can slide right in if RG3 goes down, and still run the offense.

When Cousins comes in, it is looks like a different offense, I don't see the plays RG3 runs when Cousins is in.

you wouldnt see the rg3 runs with yates either
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #1365
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post

So they trade for a RB that they don't need, that won't help them win more games this year, that is on a one year contract, and the hope that they can maybe draft a QB that can do what Kirk Cousins already does? Productive quarterbacks > draft picks.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #1366
SCOTTexans
All Pro

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Cousins would be great, but they're not giving him up. Especially given the status of Griffin's health.
I bet it would take a first round pick for them to even consider trading him... Its going to be a Rodgers type situation for him, will be forced to sit behind the starting QB for 3 to 4 years until his contract expires or they decide to part ways with RG III (highly doutful)
SCOTTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #1367
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yates in his rookie year staring down receivers, took over a 7-3 team
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Yates took over an 7-3 when we were in game 11 and Matt II had given TJ a lead that would win the game. TJ was 2-3 as a starter in the regular season 3-4 total.
Yup to 2012. Yates effectively took over an 8-3 team. 17 pts were already on the board and the Jags scored 13 pts on the day. If the Texans won any of the remaining 5 games they were in the playoffs. Yates gets way, way too much credit for "getting the Texans to the playoffs."
Old 10-10-2013   #1368
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So in my mind, this has got to work. He's got to minimize Schaub's influence on the next couple of games, while collecting wins, while nursing Schaub's confidence back to "mediocre."
I'm right there with you. I told someone if we can get good solid runs up the middle early, nothing would boost Schaub's confidence more than a bootleg off of play-action for a deep bomb. Forget the short completions, it'll take a big one to start putting hairs back on his chest.
Old 10-10-2013   #1369
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
IMO, it depends. First you have to correctly identify the reason for the pick 6es.
  1. Tennesse
    Looked like Schaub & Hopkins weren't on the same page
  2. Baltimore
    He was trying to lead OD... normally he'd put it on Owen's back hip. A much safer throw.
  3. Seattle
    Ill advised. He should have checked out of the play (maybe he was trying to make a play). He threw it up for grabs.... should've been inexcusable, but that's obviously not the case.
  4. San Francisco
    Telegraphing throws all day long.

Then you've got to ask wheter Tj would commit those same errors. He did throw 3 INTs in the divisional round, could/should have been 6. The fact that none of them were returned for TDs says more about the Ravens defense, than Schaub/Tj

I don't really know where I stand on this, Tj/Schaub/Yates, they've all got their pros & cons. If we win, I really don't care which way he goes, but he better be right. If he goes with Schaub (which he did) he better not come back in week 8 & say we're going a different direction. If he were to pick Tj/Case, he better be committed to it & make it work.
TK, I wish I had your outlook. It's healthier than mine. I wish I did care... but I don't.

I am likely UBER wrong, but while that may be, the fact that his 4th was the FIRST throw of the day. On the heels of the prior games, THAT's where he lost me. You simply can't come out on the field with the intent of not throwing a pick, yet on the very first pass play you do what he did... He lost me. At that point, I no longer care about the ones prior, the ones to come... any of them. Get off the field and earn your way back on. At that point, whatever you want to hang your 7 years as a starter on in Houston simply doesn't amount to enough to warrant being entitled to keep on slinging poo. Compound that with the a half-wit side line general who can't comprehend the notion of getting him off the field until he after he throws 2 more speaks volumes as well.

Dissect it all we want, if #8 comes out against the Rams on Sunday and lobs another pick with the very first play, I'll be no further at loss than I already am. If he come out on Sunday and plays like Peyton(unlikely) with a 500 yd game 8tds and a passer rating of 1zillion, I'll eat his jockstrap. He's never been that kind of quarterback, so it's an easy statement to make. What isn't easy, is understanding why the organization feels as if he has been that kind of a QB. What are they SOOO insistent in hanging on to?

As far as what TJ or Case would or wouldn't do in comparison to what has seemingly become a lost cause is relevant only in that the only sample we have to base it on would be preseason, which as a fair or unfair comparison in terms of game intensity, etc.. but the simple fact is neither TJ or Case did anything to suggest they could play any worse than the current train wreck.

If there ever was a reason for having a backup quarterback, other than injury sakes, THIS HAS TO QUALIFY.

From here on out... when Schaub plays well and it's "good for him". When he plays poorly, it's "what do you expect"?

As a Texan fan, I want to see Mr. Pick Six stroll out there as much as Jets fan wants to see Mr. Butt Fumble take the field.

Please put the fan base out of their misery!
Old 10-10-2013   #1370
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 3496 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
my concern is matt does enough to keep his job but doesnt do nearly enough to win in the playoffs (heck even get to the playoffs) and gets to stay on another year and its the same old song and dance for one more year.

Id rather take a chance and sacrifice this season and find out what we have in yates and keenum so we can make a strategic plan on drafting a qb with this upcoming class.

keeping schaub as starter just holds everything back.

-we dont get to find out what we have in yates and keenum
-we win enough to lose draft position to draft a possible game changer at qb in a potentially very good qb class
-we win but dont challenge seriously for the superbow
-we lose two more years trying to figure out what we have in yates and keenum

Find out now.
I completely agree. As CloakNNNDagger has stated convincingly in his opinion as a doctor, Matt Schaub is finished. The Lisfranc injury he had is degenerative and we could have an exorcism and get all the best shrinks to help him mentally and it STILL WILL NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Schaub's problem is a degenerative physical condition. Don't get me wrong, his confidence is shot and he is making bad decisions but the root cause is the degenerative physical condition.

There is ZERO UPSIDE in playing a QB that physically can't get better which means his production is impossible to improve. Play a healthy QB and there is a chance we spark the team and having just an average QB in terms of mobility and standing in the pocket would do wonders.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #1371
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTexans View Post
I bet it would take a first round pick for them to even consider trading him... Its going to be a Rodgers type situation for him, will be forced to sit behind the starting QB for 3 to 4 years until his contract expires or they decide to part ways with RG III (highly doutful)
OR Texans wait till next year. Wouldn't that be the 3rd year of a 4 year rookie contract? Wait till next year, offer a deal because no way Cousins is gonna sit behind RG3 knowing he can start for several teams and why wouldn't Washington want to get something for him instead of letting him walk?

I think, for the right price, Washington would deal him...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #1372
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Instead of overpaying for Cousins why not try and find the next RG3 in the draft? Cousins just doesn't pass my eye test, I'd rather swing for the fences with a guy like Mariota or Taj Boyd then be stuck with someone who will probably morph into another Schaub. Before yall go ballistic, yes I'm almost blind and no I didn't watch every Kirk Cousins snap, my memory is one phenomenal game, then a whole lotta "meh" ... Same exact way I feel about Vicks backup ( can't think of his name)

Use the assets in play and sweeten it with Foster, jump into the top 10 and possibly bounce back as soon as next year.
Old 10-10-2013   #1373
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point I would give up our second round pick, Tate and Yates for Cousins.
Old 10-10-2013   #1374
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yup to 2012. Yates effectively took over an 8-3 team. 17 pts were already on the board and the Jags scored 13 pts on the day. If the Texans won any of the remaining 5 games they were in the playoffs. Yates gets way, way too much credit for "getting the Texans to the playoffs."
Only have from Texans homers who really don't understand the game. Anyone with a mild NFL football IQ could understand that Yates was just a guy out there taking snaps, handing the ball off, and making check down throws. There is no one outside of Houston that looks at that season and actually credits Yates for taking the Texans anywhere that season. Only the people from Houston who has a ton of hopes.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #1375
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
At this point I would give up our second round pick, Tate and Yates for Cousins.
That trade actually makes some sense. I'd do it too.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #1376
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I'm right there with you. I told someone if we can get good solid runs up the middle early, nothing would boost Schaub's confidence more than a bootleg off of play-action for a deep bomb. Forget the short completions, it'll take a big one to start putting hairs back on his chest.
Yeah, and then we can go into this never ending saga where Schaub is in and out of the dog house.

What a lot of you fail to realize is that the Texans are at that point where they need to hit rock bottom again. Doing anything in the playoff is out of the question now or even making the playoffs if Schaub is starting. We literally need Schaub to totally screw up again to get him out of there finally for a few weeks at least. That is the only way we can see what other guys can do under this handicap HC we have. If Schaub starts having little bits of success all that does is prolong the search to find our new guy and Gary jumps on his jock again and that just makes it easier to refuse to try someone else.

If it comes down to it, I'll start rooting for the Texans to lose again so we can get another QB in there again. Until Schaub is gone or on the bench this team is incapable of going anywhere.
Old 10-10-2013   #1377
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Why are people wanting Cousins? What has done or proven? NOthing at all other then a good regular season game or two when the Skins were really hot I might add. RG3 who is struggling right now won a ton of games in a row with that same team.

Cousins is another version of Schaub to me with more mobility but not a lot more. I figured people at this point would finally want to take some time to find that next big thing instead of looking for all of these hopeless stop gap guys that Kubiak would likely latch onto for several years before even dreaming of drafting a solid passer who can sling it. QB is to important to settle in this day and age.

Last edited by Texecutioner; 10-10-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2013   #1378
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Michael Irvin on the halftime show about Eli's interceptions:

"It's one thing to throw those interceptions, its another thing to throw those Schaubs."

htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #1379
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Michael Irvin on the halftime show about Eli's interceptions:

"It's one thing to throw those interceptions, its another thing to throw those Schaubs."

I heard it too lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #1380
PockyAF
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3090 PockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys on NFLN just said if Schaub keeps turning it over than he'll be yanked... possibly during this week game, because according to a Texans source 'it wouldn't be fair to the rest of the team'.
PockyAF is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read