Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes 31 29.52%
No 74 70.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2013   #141
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
But...but...what if the intention was to honor black Americans?
I'm getting the mental pic of a mascot with big red lips and an afro...
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #142
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
BTW, I hope your state recovers from it's white supremacist label sometime soon. Beautiful country but too many scary people up there.
Hey man, most all of the white supremacists in Idaho are all of the LAPD cops retired and living up in the panhandle in the Coeur d'alene area. In other words, they are from California and not Idaho.
Speaking of white supremacist, you've got a ton of those hay-seed, redneck, bigots in Hicksville, Tenn right ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #143
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Hey man, most all of the white supremacists in Idaho are all of the LAPD cops retired and living up in the panhandle in the Coeur d'alene area. In other words, they are from California and not Idaho.
Speaking of white supremacist, you've got a ton of those hay-seed, redneck, bigots in Hicksville, Tenn right ?
I lived in Nashville for a while....saw more of this in Houston actually....but Houston is bigger. Nashville surprisingly cosmopolitan much like Houston is to those damn yankees.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #144
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I voted yes and have no problem admitting that. I also feel things have gone way too PC, however Redskin is to most Native Americans the same as the word n*gger to blacks.

Yeah, I practically spelled it out to get the point across.

How about start a hockey team in North Dakota and call them the North Dakota N*ggers? Sure, North Dakota is primarly made up of whites and Native Americans. The black population is small there but that doesn't matter does it? It's just a team name. Also there would be zero to very few black players on the team, however the name would not be meant to be offensive. It would celebrate the history of black people in this country.

You know what, let's not be THAT offensive. Let's call them instead the North Dakota Sambos. That would be less controversial.

How about Sambo the mascot? They would have this crest on their jerseys ...

Probably after 80 years everyone would be used to the name and no one would think of it as being a racist slur. You would just think hockey in North Dakota.

If you voted NO to changing the Redskins name, please explain why you would be against the North Dakota Sambos? That is, IF you would be against it.

Carry on.
Wouldn't you hate being one of the handful of brothas playing hockey who got DRAFTED by either the Sambos or the N(gong)ers? Sux ta be you...
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 10-09-2013   #145
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Aren't sports team names & mascots generally chosen because they represent the city/people, or are majestic, respected, or fierce?

I have always felt that teams chose Native American type names and symbols out of respect to their fierceness in combat.

I would think the bigger issue would be the Cleveland Indians mascot. I could see a Native American seeing a caricature of an Indian and getting offended.

While were at it, shouldnt the Irish Americans be outraged by the "Fighting Irish" of Notre Dame?

The Atlanta Angry Black Guys?

The New York Yakuza?

The El Paso Angry Mexican Guys with Knives?
Old 10-18-2013   #146
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32969 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of re-hashing old threads, I will stand guilty as charged.

I was thinking, and wonder if Natives would be a more appropriate name for the team? Then DC has the Nationals and the Natives, so everyone can just root for the "Nats".
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #147
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 279120 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, some are taking this issue to extremes:

Political cartoon compares Redskins logo to swastika, confederate flag

They are going to Godwin's Law their own cause.
Old 10-18-2013   #148
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Don't think we pale folks came up with "white boy" either. Just sayin ...
Apples & watermelons. They're both fruit...but no one with half a brain would ever confuse one for the other.

I'm somewhat bothered by the fact that a certain rap group in the 80s/90s called themselves N:33as With Attitudes and that they and OTHER rap artist used the word "N:gg3r/Ni33a" so much to where it's such a part of the venacular that young white, Asian and Latinos routinely call their friends "My n:33as".
Are you AS bothered by the fact that a funk group from Pittsburgh called Wild Cherry had a hit song whose lyrics stated "Somebody turned around and shouted 'PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC WHITE-B0Y!' ?"
Old 10-18-2013   #149
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32969 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Apples & watermelons. They're both fruit...but no one with half a brain would ever confuse one for the other.

I'm somewhat bothered by the fact that a certain rap group in the 80s/90s called themselves N:33as With Attitudes and that they and OTHER rap artist used the word "N:gg3r/Ni33a" so much to where it's such a part of the venacular that young white, Asian and Latinos routinely call their friends "My n:33as".
Are you AS bothered by the fact that a funk group from Pittsburgh called Wild Cherry had a hit song whose lyrics stated "Somebody turned around and shouted 'PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC WHITE-B0Y!' ?"
No, but if I went around calling those with a darker pigment of skin than myself "black boys", wonder how that would go over? What offends me is that those who claim to be effected by racism and want to stand up and cry foul every time anything happens to someone from their culture, use this type of terminology. Either we are just human beings, intended to be treated equal, or we aren't. It isn't that one faction of society gets to be treated with kid gloves, and another can be treated with disrespect. Either times change, or they don't. We don't get to reverse the wrongs and everyone go home happy, that has been tried ... and so far doesn't seem to have worked out so well. Awesome song by the way ...
Old 10-18-2013   #150
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
You're Native American?
Two great grandmothers were full blood indians - one Cherokee , the other Comanche ....

Redskin doesn't bother me .... but some other native Americans take offense to it.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #151
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Two great grandmothers were full blood indians - one Cherokee , the other Comanche ....

Redskin doesn't bother me .... but some other native Americans take offense to it.
Someone somewhere is always going to be offended about something.

It's a damn sports team that doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot in the grand scheme of things. One that's been around for 82 freaking years at that. No one cared what they were called when they were winning Super Bowls. If you don't like their team name, root for the damn Giants. No wait, my great great grandpappy was part giant. They have to change their name too.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #152
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
No, but if I went around calling those with a darker pigment of skin than myself "black boys", wonder how that would go over? What offends me is that those who claim to be effected by racism and want to stand up and cry foul every time anything happens to someone from their culture, use this type of terminology. Either we are just human beings, intended to be treated equal, or we aren't. It isn't that one faction of society gets to be treated with kid gloves, and another can be treated with disrespect. Either times change, or they don't. We don't get to reverse the wrongs and everyone go home happy, that has been tried ... and so far doesn't seem to have worked out so well. Awesome song by the way ...
What I love so much about this board/group is that were you to ask many who've met me to describe me, the first thing they'd say is "He's crazy!" then they'd describe my personality and the hair and crap I've said over the years. The BULK of these guys probably would probably forget to mention that I'm black because in the grand scheme of things I don't think many of us in here view each other as "that black guy", "that white guy", "that hot indian/native American chick" or "That Amerasian guy."
Hell if someone asked me to describe Bill, I would describe him as the lovable, scruffy, hard drinking, skirt chasing party animal through whom MANY of us live vicariously. I hesitate to assign Bill to a group because, well... I KNOW no one wants to take responsibility for him. Just kiddin' Bill.
Old 10-19-2013   #153
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 112365 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Man, some are taking this issue to extremes:

Political cartoon compares Redskins logo to swastika, confederate flag

They are going to Godwin's Law their own cause.
But DB this is a seminal moment in the history of this country. If we continue to allow this blatant travesty to continue we will turn back the clock on all the progress we've made as a people. I'm not looking for the sarcasm smiley.
Old 10-25-2013   #154
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Washington Bravehearts

Pretty damn lame IMO.

William Wallace as the mascot?

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #155
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 24388 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted yes. IMO it all about what the person or group want's to be called more than what I want or feel comfortable calling them.

Being the senior citizen I recall even more controversy when Mohammed Ali changed his name, the resistance and refusal by some to acknowledge his wishes. Eventually, Cassius Clay became a fading memory. Hopefully, this too shall pass.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #156
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
I voted yes. IMO it all about what the person or group want's to be called more than what I want or feel comfortable calling them.

Being the senior citizen I recall even more controversy when Mohammed Ali changed his name, the resistance and refusal by some to acknowledge his wishes. Eventually, Cassius Clay became a fading memory. Hopefully, this too shall pass.
That's a whole nother can of worms ....

I really don't care what they call the Redskins but ... after 83 years of history , it seems silly.

I bet the astronauts are offended by the Astro's , no way are they reaching for the stars , they are more disastro's than Astro's ..... haha.

Someone's always going to find a way to be offended ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #157
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

The team is seriously considering removing the offensive part of their name - Washington. They'll just be the Redskins.
Old 10-25-2013   #158
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

The true irony would be the people that are protesting the Redskins name are still okay with using $20 bills with Andrew Jackson's face adorned smack dab in the middle of their currency.

Indian Removal Act of 1830/Trail of Tears ring any bells?

Let's get butthurt over something trivial like a football franchise name, but completely ignore something that is on a much much bigger scale like US currency.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #159
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
The true irony would be the people that are protesting the Redskins name are still okay with using $20 bills with Andrew Jackson's face adorned smack dab in the middle of their currency.

Indian Removal Act of 1830/Trail of Tears ring any bells?

Let's get butthurt over something trivial like a football franchise name, but completely ignore something that is on a much much bigger scale like US currency.
You are assuming people have intellect and any clue about US History ... how dare you?!!
Old 10-28-2013   #160
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Dan Snyder Agrees to Change the Redskins Name: LINK

Quote:
WASHINGTON—Following an outpouring of criticism from across the country, the Washington Redskins announced Wednesday that they are officially changing the team’s name to the D.C. Redskins. “We’ve heard the concerns of many people who have been hurt or offended by the team’s previous name, and I’m happy to say we’ve now rectified the situation once and for all,” said franchise owner Dan Snyder, adding that “Washington Redskins” will be replaced with “D.C. Redskins” on all team logos, uniforms, and apparel. “It was a difficult decision—and one that, frankly, I’m a little embarrassed took me so long to make. So hopefully we can now put this issue to bed and start cheering on our D.C. Redskins.” In light of Snyder’s decision, Cleveland Indians owner Larry Dolan told reporters he will change the feather in Chief Wahoo’s headdress from red to a “more appropriate” shade of red.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read