Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2013   #21
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak on now. Schaub @ 6:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It's all about perspective. We don't give a sht if Kubiak is fired at the end of the season. Some of us want him gone & have wanted him gone for years. 12-4, 10-6, don't matter.

So it's easy for us to say, "Matt's the problem, you gotta start Keenum."

But this is Kubiak's livelihood & the consequences of his decisions are going to be much closer to home for him than us. None of us are going to have to pack up & move on if we're wrong.
Sigh.

Three things.

1) If Kubiak can't pay his bills on the millions he makes per year, I don't know what to say. Even if we fire him after this year, he'd still have, what, one year left on his contract? That's an extra 4 or 5 million a year he'd get? If he and his family can't make it on that, well, they need better financial planners.

2) Kubiak does not act, nor coach, like a person who wants to keep his job. Bosses sometimes have to make tough calls, like replacing someone who isn't working out. Kubiak refuses to do that (Joe Marciano).

3) NFL teams are billion dollar corporations. Their overall fortunes rise and fall on wins and losses. Thus, the head coach is, in a sense, the CEO of the company in that the overall value of the company is tied to his performance. As a result, Gary is well-compensated for his objective. If Gary can't perform, he should be replaced. It's as simple as that.
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It's all about perspective. We don't give a sht if Kubiak is fired at the end of the season. Some of us want him gone & have wanted him gone for years. 12-4, 10-6, don't matter.

So it's easy for us to say, "Matt's the problem, you gotta start Keenum."

But this is Kubiak's livelihood & the consequences of his decisions are going to be much closer to home for him than us. None of us are going to have to pack up & move on if we're wrong.
If I keep making incorrect decisions that costs my employer money and pisses off our customers, yes I will have to move on.
Old 10-08-2013   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If I keep making incorrect decisions that costs my employer money and pisses off our customers, yes I will have to move on.
No sht. I didn't say any different.

Everyone in here is saying that Yates/Keenum can't do worse than Schaub. While it's most likely true that they couldn't do any worse over the last three games, we don't know that to be true. Before the season started we knew this was going to be a difficult stretch & some of us probably predicted 0-3. Did it really make sense to start our back-ups back-up?

I'm not happy about what I've paid for so far. I think a 3 game losing streak is unacceptable. But ultimately Kubiak is going to be judged on this teams performance after 16 games. Maybe less, but obviously more than 5.

I can say put in Keenum, I can say put in Yates. If that nets no play-off appearance, I'm going to be upset & call for Kubiak's job. At the end of the day, that's all I care about, a play-off appearance & a shot at a championship. I don't care if Schaub is the QB, or if Kubiak puts the pads on himself. If the Texans are in the Super Bowl I'm happy.

No... after what I've been watching for the last 5 weeks, I can't imagine this team in the Super Bowl, with Yates, Keenum, or Schaub. But at this time last year I couldn't imagine the Ravens in the Super Bowl either.
Old 10-08-2013   #24
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

No matter what happened in preseason, Schaub was going to be our starter at the beginning of the season.

Keenum actually outplayed Yates in preseason, but Kubes always has to wait a year to react to a younger player outperforming a more experienced one. It's part of his MO.

Keenum is only our back-up's back-up based on "years-of-service."

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #25
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37823 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
No matter what happened in preseason, Schaub was going to be our starter at the beginning of the season.

Keenum actually outplayed Yates in preseason, but Kubes always has to wait a year to react to a younger player outperforming a more experienced one. It's part of his MO.

Agree.

From a pure talent standpoint, Case is our best QB.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I don't know that. It took Schaub a few years to get our offense. It was expanding for the first 4 years he was here. Seems to be contracting now.

But I didn't dissect every play Yates ran, or every play Keenum ran so I don't know what the similarities or differences were. I don't know what was expected of them on each individual play. I know Keenum looked great when things broke down.

But if the play broke down because he missed a read, what we saw as a positive was probably a negative grade overall.

I don't know that to be true either, but that's how I would have done it. The system works, the system is good. In a perfect world I'd like for someone who can run the system as well as Matt (good Matt) when the system is working, but be able to improvise like Keenum when it's not.

Right now, I think Tj can run the system more like Matt than Keenum can. I think he can improvise more like Keenum than Matt can. Best of both worlds.... but not good enough.

If Keenum is who we want him to be, this may very well be the best thing for him. Would you be upset if we designate Matt a June 1st cut, not draft a QB & Kubiak say the two guys we have will compete for the job? If that happens, I guarantee you Tj does not have a shot at being the starter. There's no real competition & Case would be our starter week 1.
Old 10-08-2013   #27
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Both keenum and Yates are better than Schaub.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #28
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree with your first statement, but I thought Yates had a better pre-season. Keep in mind, there's also a lot us fans don't see behind the scenes that go in the decision making. If we based everything on simply preseason games, then Cierre Wood should be starting at running back.
dream_team is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #29
Lucky

Rep Power: 161176 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Just being a little long winded with my post and trying to stretch to four paragraphs 'cause GP's not around so much anymore.
Sorry, but that is not up to GP standards. Please try harder, and by harder I mean type until your fingers bleed.

It's time for McNair to step in. It's obvious that Kubiak is unable to make a decision of this magnitude. McNair can't afford the PR hit that a Schaub QBed home game would cause. Can you imagine the cacophony of boos raining down on every Schaub incompletion or sack? And if/when he throws an interception? Bud Light bottles could replacee the boos coming from the stands. This could get ugly.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read