Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2013   #81
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83307 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: In support of Case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Please go watch Keemun before saying stuff like that. Keemun is by far a more prolific passer then Yates. He will attempt to put passes in windows that Yates wouldn't think about trying.
Yeah...you know who else does that? Jay Cutler....that's not always a good thing bro..
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #82
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Please go watch Keemun before saying stuff like that. Keemun is by far a more prolific passer then Yates. He will attempt to put passes in windows that Yates wouldn't think about trying.
As I stated before, I'm at camp on the sidelines while all 3 qbs are doing mirror drills. The velocity of yates balls was far and away superior to schaub and case. After practice,I was with pat kirwan and wilcots when they were doing the interviews for sirius. Met jj,schaub,meyers,quiz,j-joe and the who crew. Kirwan and wilcots said they didn't know yates arm was that much stronger than the other guys.

Does that mean tj is the answer?No,I simply stated that when you're trying to open up the offense and make the defense defend more of the field, tj has the arm to do it. Not to mention when pressed into duty without andre he played ok and made some plays.
Old 10-09-2013   #83
waynegg
Veteran

Rep Power: 1365 waynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respected

TJ irrefutably has the arm, but that's not the entire equation is it? It means nothing if you can chunk a pig downfield 80 yards if the pass isn't accurate. That more than anything is what puts Keenum in front of TJ as far as I'm concerned. Go back and watch him thread the needle on short and mid range plays. See how he hit his receivers dead perfect, on full tilt, and was able to put the ball where only they could get to it. Then watch those two immaculate connections to Jean, lofting the ball around 50 yards (as the bird flys) both times.

The only place where he comes up short is that he's a bit, well, short.
waynegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #84
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59514 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

This talk of Keenum "not having an NFL arm" is straight up STUPID.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/...ine-2008-2012/

Colin Kaepernick - 59 mph (said to have a big arm)
Andy Dalton - 56 mph (Red Rifle, right?)
Cam Newton - 56 mph (said to have a big arm)
Joe Flacco - 55 mph (said to have a cannon)
Case Keenum - 55 mph (WEAK ASS ARM)
TJ Yates - 52 mph (WAY past Keenum in arm strength!)

*Bangs head against the wall*

And wasn't Case injured at the Combine or something? JEESUS.
Old 10-09-2013   #85
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105991 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
This talk of Keenum "not having an NFL arm" is straight up STUPID.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/...ine-2008-2012/

Colin Kaepernick - 59 mph (said to have a big arm)
Andy Dalton - 56 mph (Red Rifle, right?)
Cam Newton - 56 mph (said to have a big arm)
Joe Flacco - 55 mph (said to have a cannon)
Case Keenum - 55 mph (WEAK ASS ARM)
TJ Yates - 52 mph (WAY past Keenum in arm strength!)

*Bangs head against the wall*

And wasn't Case injured at the Combine or something? JEESUS.
Show me where it shows up on game tape where Keenum drops the ball in the hands of a receiver completely covered deep. I've seen TJ make that throw, I've never seen Keenum make it.

Edit: the fact that some big arm QBs have crappy speeds (Chad Henne, Mike Glennon, Landry Jones) shows me just how valuable this statistic measure is. I'm not surprised it's not done by anyone else at the combine.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #86
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Show me where it shows up on game tape where Keenum drops the ball in the hands of a receiver completely covered deep. I've seen TJ make that throw, I've never seen Keenum make it.

:55 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4LpCbVTp-g
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #87
waynegg
Veteran

Rep Power: 1365 waynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Accuracy =/= arm, see Joe Flacco. I like Keenum's decision making and accuracy. However, in many of his college highlight reels, he was throwing to wide open WRs. I don't think our WRs here are going to be that open.

I seem to recall a TJ Yates pass thrown in the game against Atlanta where he threw one to Andre where the CB was glued all over him to Andre's 5 o'clock but the ball was placed within arm's extent of Andre's 10 o'clock. There was no way the CB could get his hands on it. That was perfect ball placement.
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...6-8d21fbde2246

Was it that pretty? Case did this twice and a crap ton of thread the needle on shorts and mids.

I think most people don't pay attention to preseason at all.

:cow::texflag::koolaid::splits::trophy::texan:
Old 10-09-2013   #88
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105991 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynegg View Post
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...6-8d21fbde2246

Was it that pretty? Case did this twice and a crap ton of thread the needle on shorts and mids.

I think most people don't pay attention to preseason at all.
Very nice pass. 27 yards?

TJ did it against the starting Atlanta secondary, and it was 50 yarder.
Old 10-09-2013   #89
waynegg
Veteran

This never gets old...

Quote:
Let's let Pythagoras help you

A^2 + B^2 = C^2

(25.665 x 25.665) + (39.5 x 39.5) = 47.1 yards in the air.

(25.665 x 25.665) + (39 x 39) = 46.6 yards in the air.

Math is good!

Old 10-09-2013   #90
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/12/...t-j/in/2374119
The video of the pass I'm referring to.

Also, Waynegg, what on earth are you talking about?
Old 10-09-2013   #91
waynegg
Veteran

That's basic math. Keenum threw the ball from the center of the field on the 34.5 yard line to one yard away from the sideline and 5 yards deep in the end zone. That's a distance of 39.5 yards. The field is 53.33 yards wide. Half of that is 26.665, subtract a yard off that for how far away from the line Jean was and you get 25.665

Old 10-09-2013   #92
waynegg
Veteran

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem

Old 10-09-2013   #93
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Thanks. Care to do the math on the TJ Yates pass for me?
Old 10-09-2013   #94
waynegg
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. Care to do the math on the TJ Yates pass for me?
I got no video from your link, but if you give me the specifics, sure.

Old 10-09-2013   #95
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I got no video from your link, but if you give me the specifics, sure.
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/12/...t-j/in/2374119

Posted wrong link earlier.
Old 10-09-2013   #96
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 22499 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem

((25.665 x 25.665) + (39.5 x 39.5))^0.5 = 47.1 yards in the air.

((25.665 x 25.665) + (39 x 39))^0.5 = 46.6 yards in the air.
there you go

you could argue the ball does more yard than that tho, given it goes up and then down...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_the_crow_flies
Old 10-09-2013   #97
waynegg
Veteran

Quote:
In air flight, started and ended 2yards off the right hash mark, so a straight line. Left his hand on the Texans 41 and received at the Falcons 14 = 47 yards in the air, so virtually identical other than be slightly over thrown. Very slightly.

Old 10-09-2013   #98
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
In air flight, started and ended 2yards off the right hash mark, so a straight line. Left his hand on the Texans 41 and received at the Falcons 14 = 47 yards in the air, so virtually identical other than be slightly over thrown. Very slightly.
Right. Also, we must be watching two different videos, as TJ is behind the Texans 40 yard mark in the video I posted.

Remind me, did Case throw his pass against a starting NFL defense?
Old 10-09-2013   #99
waynegg
Veteran

Quote:
Right.

Remind me, did Case throw his pass against a starting NFL defense?
Mostly (cowboys, not dolphins). The cover man wasn't. Doesn't change the accuracy or the length of the pass. He got it off in 2 seconds and our offensive line is keeping the defense off schaub for 3+seconds 98% of the time.

Yeah, I crunch numbers all game long.

Old 10-09-2013   #100
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Mostly (cowboys, not dolphins). The cover man wasn't. Doesn't change the accuracy or the length of the pass. He got it off in 2 seconds and our offensive line is keeping the defense off schaub for 3+seconds 98% of the time.

Yeah, I crunch numbers all game long.
It was a pretty pass, I'm not arguing that. It's not what TJ Yates can do, though.

Also, as I edited my post to reflect earlier... the LOS was the Texans 41 and TJ threw behind at the 38, possibly the 39.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read