Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2013   #41
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Accountability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
no problem....I'm darkly sarcastic at times. It's all really hilarious with all the proper translations and such. just ignore me for the most part - it works for the others.
never mr. shiny happy fan.
Old 10-10-2013   #42
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Your hatred of Kubiak & Schaub makes it difficult to take you seriously.
Kind of the bizarro version of you, huh? Both equally impossible to take seriously, but complete opposite in viewpoint.
Old 10-10-2013   #43
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Come On Breh View Post
ahh yes pigeonhole an entire post and start the name calling.

i would respond accordingly but i dont want to get banned.

nice football related response.
dude, just talk football. Get a little surly if you want but stop the whining about getting tossed or the nazi influence or whatever oppressive forces rue the day. The posters here will assert enough peer pressure to keep you in check (you've used some yourself)...just stop with the persecution complex and grow a pair. If you want to screech and moan about this place I suggest doing it somewhere other than here. Your namesake says it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
never mr. shiny happy fan.
just another troubling Heisenberg quality.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #44
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
just another troubling Heisenberg quality.
Gonna miss that show. That was the only show I watched (every episode) and now its gone. Oh well.
Old 10-10-2013   #45
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 4153 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Come on Breh: You have a brother in arms here with me to fight the good fight. I like your style and passion. I have got your back. I have been here since the beginning and I have a reputation of being an ornery SOB which is true. I am sick and tired of the same crap and problems rearing their head every hear.

I want a cleansing fire. BENCH SCHAUB AND FIRE KUBIAK!

Last edited by TexansFight; 10-10-2013 at 05:45 PM.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #46
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
kubiak is lenient to schaub because he lives vicariously through schaub.

He sees himself in schaub, a guy who never got a chance to start becasue of elway. He's now making up for it with schaub, another glorified back up. He invested a lot of time in him, and he doesnt want to give up on him because it means that he's giving up on himself in some sick delusional psychological way.
I don't know about "sick" and/or "delusional, because psychologically this pattern fits within the normal realm of human behavior. In other words, this hypothesis wouldn't be an overt psychosis from Gary Kubiak - merely a microcosm of what we've all experienced from time to time, only, in this case, commiserate to a higher level of public scrutiny.

I've been saying this for years that Kubiak's backup QB mentality has been hurting this team via Matt Schaub. So, I think your point is extremely valid.

To that end, Gary has the capability to get it done, and probably lead this team to a Super Bowl, but only if he can somehow acquire a QB that doesn't fit his mold - to get out of Gary's comfort zone - someone that Gary can only shape so much, in all the right ways. Instead, this yet-to-be-named young QB negates the need for Gary to infuse his own shortcomings into him, because he's more talented than Gary ever was.

I think Gary could except that. It's just that he made a good call with Schuab, had initial success, but like Robert Zimmerman, "The Times They Are a-Changin'." Whether Gary adapts or not is a different story. If he can, he should be golden. If not, he's done.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #47
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
I don't know about "sick" and/or "delusional, because psychologically this pattern fits within the normal realm of human behavior. In other words, this hypothesis wouldn't be an overt psychosis from Gary Kubiak - merely a microcosm of what we've all experienced from time to time, only, in this case, commiserate to a higher level of public scrutiny.

I've been saying this for years that Kubiak's backup QB mentality has been hurting this team via Matt Schaub. So, I think your point is extremely valid.

To that end, Gary has the capability to get it done, and probably lead this team to a Super Bowl, but only if he can somehow acquire a QB that doesn't fit his mold - to get out of Gary's comfort zone - someone that Gary can only shape so much, in all the right ways. Instead, this yet-to-be-named young QB negates the need for Gary to infuse his own shortcomings into him, because he's more talented than Gary ever was.

I think Gary could except that. It's just that he made a good call with Schuab, had initial success, but like Robert Zimmerman, "The Times They Are a-Changin'." Whether Gary adapts or not is a different story. If he can, he should be golden. If not, he's done.
My money is on not. If Gary has proven one thing, he's consistent. I'll bet you this week's mentality is just like the week's past... Aw Shucks Matt, your our guy. Don't worry about last week... That's on me. Go on out there, and do your best. We all need to play better and doggonit, we will! Let's, instead focus on fixing the real problems we have.... Defense.
Old 10-10-2013   #48
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

If you were a manager in charge of a group of people and there were 32 other managers just like you how many of you would expect to be fired if all teams had the same budget, rules and objects and you outperformed 68% of them?
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #49
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
If you were a manager in charge of a group of people and there were 32 other managers just like you how many of you would expect to be fired if all teams had the same budget, rules and objects and you outperformed 68% of them?
Please clarify. Am I being paid millions to be the absolute best in an extremely competitve industry, or am I making a normal salary in an industry where average performance is acceptable?
Old 10-10-2013   #50
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Please clarify. Am I being paid millions to be the absolute best in an extremely competitve industry, or am I making a normal salary in an industry where average performance is acceptable?

Wouldnt it all be relative? All 32 coaches would be in the same payband. As a manager to me comp would be irrelevant in evaluating the 32 people if they had the same objects, rules and budget.
Old 10-10-2013   #51
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wouldnt it all be relative? All 32 coaches would be in the same payband. As a manager to me comp would be irrelevant in evaluating the 32 people if they had the same objects, rules and budget.
No it isn't relative. In many normal jobs being average is ok. In the NFL, a coach that goes 8-8 year after year would not be seen as doing an adequate job.
Old 10-10-2013   #52
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No it isn't relative. In many normal jobs being average is ok. In the NFL, a coach that goes 8-8 year after year would not be seen as doing an adequate job.

It is relative to the subset of the 32 employees who are paid to be the head coaches. It is also realtive that none of those 32 are normal paying while others are making 20MM. It is relatvie to that subset of employees and their given rolls. Are we talking about 8-8 now or performing better than 68% of your peers?
Old 10-10-2013   #53
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
It is relative to the subset of the 32 employees who are paid to be the head coaches. It is also realtive that none of those 32 are normal paying while others are making 20MM. It is relatvie to that subset of employees and their given rolls. Are we talking about 8-8 now or performing better than 68% of your peers?
I used 50% to make the example clearer. Would you think a 50% coach is doing Ok?

Let's look at that 68%. Some would argue that the Texans have better talent than 75% of the league. In that case 68% is under performing.

Kubiak has had this job longer than most head coaches. He has had more time to get things exactly as he wants them. 68% is the best he can do?

As an aside, what does the 68% represent; what did you use to rank the coaches? If we are going to dig into the numbers that would be good to know
Old 10-10-2013   #54
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I used 50% to make the example clearer. Would you think a 50% coach is doing Ok?

Let's look at that 68%. Some would argue that the Texans have better talent than 75% of the league. In that case 68% is under performing.

Kubiak has had this job longer than most head coaches. He has had more time to get things exactly as he wants them. 68% is the best he can do?

As an aside, what does the 68% represent; what did you use to rank the coaches? If we are going to dig into the numbers that would be good to know

A coach going 8-8 may be okay and it may not it certainly depends on many factors. Like the Texans making it to the second round of the playoffs despite the loss of Schaub, Johnson and Williams. On an adjusted basis I would say that was well overperforming. Making it to the second round of the playoffs puts your team's performance besting 68.75% of the league. The level of talent on the team is better ranked by folks who do this for a living rather than fans. Also the expectations and how things run are probably better handled by McNair as a bussiness man vs random fans.
Old 10-10-2013   #55
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

So the 68% was based on one year's playoff results.

Kubiak's average record per season is 8.4 wins and 7.6 losses. His Texans average a 2.5 finish in a 4 team division. I question the 68% value. It looks more like 50% to me.

You will offer an opinion on Kubes as a coach, but you leave evaluating player talent to the experts. Hard to have a discussion about our opinions if our opinions are rejected because we aren't experts.
Old 10-10-2013   #56
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So the 68% was based on one year's playoff results.

Kubiak's average record per season is 8.4 wins and 7.6 losses. His Texans average a 2.5 finish in a 4 team division. I question the 68% value. It looks more like 50% to me.

You will offer an opinion on Kubes as a coach, but you leave evaluating player talent to the experts. Hard to have a discussion about our opinions if our opinions are rejected because we aren't experts.

I actually offered no opinion on Gary as a coach but rather asked a question. FWIW the 68% value would apply for the last two years one of which came to a close before he and rick got their extension. Have all the opinions that you wish but know your(fans) opinions are heavily clouded by emotions
Old 10-10-2013   #57
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
kubiak has 2 first round wins, 2 division titles in 7 years as head coach.

marciano fields poor to mediocre special teams for a solid decade.

schaub has as brought the team as many playoff wins and as far as TJ Yates has.

there is no accountability.

This is a deeply rooted Institutional Problem.

The playoff win stat line between tj and matt is a joke. TJ would have zero wins if it wasnt for Matt setting the season up.
Old 10-10-2013   #58
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
I actually offered no opinion on Gary as a coach but rather asked a question. FWIW the 68% value would apply for the last two years one of which came to a close before he and rick got their extension. Have all the opinions that you wish but know your(fans) opinions are heavily clouded by emotions
For a while there I thought we had an interesting discussion going. Falling back on "we aren't experts so our opinions don't matter" kills that. (I bet you do think your opinions on football have some value though, right?)

But I will agree with your conclusion. If you cherry pick Kubiak's two best years and use the criteria you chose, only 8 coaches (one third of the league, two whole divisions worth) were better than him.
Old 10-10-2013   #59
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
For a while there I thought we had an interesting discussion going. Falling back on "we aren't experts so our opinions don't matter" kills that. (I bet you do think your opinions on football have some value though, right?)

But I will agree with your conclusion. If you cherry pick Kubiak's two best years and use the criteria you chose, only 8 coaches (one third of the league, two whole divisions worth) were better than him.

My opinions have zero value in terms of running a football team. I do however have a lot of background managing large numbers of employees and performing performance reviews.

Im not sure how you would claim I cherry picked Gary's two best season as they are the last two completed and in between those two he got the extension. This thread is about accountability and after his best season the HC got an extension and he followed that season up with two more wins and another playoff victory.
Old 10-10-2013   #60
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
My opinions have zero value in terms of running a football team. I do however have a lot of background managing large numbers of employees and performing performance reviews.

Im not sure how you would claim I cherry picked Gary's two best season as they are the last two completed and in between those two he got the extension. This thread is about accountability and after his best season the HC got an extension and he followed that season up with two more wins and another playoff victory.
He also got extended after a couple of 8-8 and a 9-7 season. What was his rating at that time based on your playoff success criteria? I'd think low since he didn't make the playoffs. He did follow that up with a 6-10 season though. I submit that as an example of no accountability.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read