Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2013   #1
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB

I can't wait to see GK's game plan this week.
Did we run a naked boot last week? I think GK figured out that play is DEAD.
GK might have figured out pass to 80 outside is DEAD, maybe?
Short dump over middle might be DEAD? Actually may be an option.
I guess we can try and keep them honest deep a few times but MS seemed to have an accuracy problem and really can't throw deep.
In fact based on last week he seemed to be off on all throws longer than the check down and pass to RB's

Hard to threaten a team when your gun shoots blanks and the other guy knows it. Or he knows you have no gun at all.

So do we see a whole lot of running? I am sure GK already knows better than I what his options are based on his coming up with past game plan. Maybe not because he still called the "SCHAUB" last week multiple times.

Seriously what is an effective game plan with MS at QB?

I still say game planning against MS and GK is a defensive coordinators DREAM. Remember Saban article in SI a few weeks back in reference to preparing for A&M game.

What does GK come up with???

Last edited by gafftop; 10-08-2013 at 06:26 AM.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #2
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB

Simply pressure Schaub at the line of scrimmage and easily read the body language of Schaub and the play calling of Kubiak.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #3
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
I guess we can try and keep them honest deep a few times but MS seemed to have an accuracy problem and really can't throw deep.
In fact based on last week he seemed to be off on all throws longer than the check down and pass to RB's

Hard to threaten a team when your gun shoots blanks and the other guy knows it. Or he knows you have no gun at all.

So do we see a whole lot of running? I am sure GK already knows better than I what his options are based on his coming up with past game plan. Maybe not because he still called the "SCHAUB" last week multiple times.

I still say game planning against MS and GK is a defensive coordinators DREAM. Remember Saban article in SI a few weeks back in reference to preparing for A&M game.

Nothing, he'll continue to run the gimmick offense with no down the field threat, the team we face will play zone, start to switch to man and then eventually start blitzing us like a hooker on crack cocaine.. Jeff Fisher will be very aggressive, as he always is on defense. Matt will crumble up before he even gets hit, and go down, and hopefully it won't be a 5 game pick 6 streak. Although if it gets Kubiak fired, I'm all for a 8 game pick 6 streak.

Game over.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe: run run run run slant run outlet pass run run...

Then praise after game for Schaub's gutsy turnaround.
Old 10-08-2013   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Nothing, he'll continue to run the gimmick offense with no down the field threat.
He's bound to that if he sticks with Schaub .... his arm is dead. I rewatched the game last night since my internet was down and I couldn't argue with you all.

Its quite obvious he has lost some (a LOT) of velocity .... why I think has to do with footwork and the lisfranc. He's throwing off the back foot or just not following thru more times than not. That tells me consciously or not he's compensating for the foot.

Don't expect downfield throws if Schaub is under center.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is struggling because he hasn't gotten as many easy throws this year. He looks the same to me. But since teams are playing the bootlegs with more discipline and you have (1) a defender in Schaub's face when he rolls out (2) solid coverage over the top, he can't make a play.

He's never been a guy that is going to sit in the pocket all game and pick you apart. He's leaned on the back of this offense and now when teams are playing it with more discipline he struggles.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #7
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Schaub is struggling because he hasn't gotten as many easy throws this year. He looks the same to me. But since teams are playing the bootlegs with more discipline and you have (1) a defender in Schaub's face when he rolls out (2) solid coverage over the top, he can't make a play.

He's never been a guy that is going to sit in the pocket all game and pick you apart. He's leaned on the back of this offense and now when teams are playing it with more discipline he struggles.
Too many of us texan fans don't understand what you just stated. This is exactly why I've been saying Schaub is the same Quarterback he has always been.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2013   #8
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9888 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Maybe: run run run run slant run outlet pass run run...

Then praise after game for Schaub's gutsy turnaround.
How about if we try running the wildcat the entire game?
Old 10-08-2013   #9
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Nothing, he'll continue to run the gimmick offense with no down the field threat, the team we face will play zone, start to switch to man and then eventually start blitzing us like a hooker on crack cocaine.. Jeff Fisher will be very aggressive, as he always is on defense. Matt will crumble up before he even gets hit, and go down, and hopefully it won't be a 5 game pick 6 streak. Although if it gets Kubiak fired, I'm all for a 8 game pick 6 streak.

Game over.
I just can't understand why we don't go to our TEs on quick slants or crossing routes or deep slants when defenses start blitzing LBs. Anyway great post.
Old 10-08-2013   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't know if you have any games from early last year , but if you do , watch any from the first quarter of the season and then any from this season and compare .... Its quite obvious when doing so that Schaubs velocity is GONE (what little he had to begin with).

Old 10-08-2013   #11
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 15379 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking he'll bounce back for St. Louis but totally gets embarrassed at Arrowhead playing against KC's solid defense. That's when the playoff collapse really begins.

bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub shouldn't be needed in this game, imo. Run Foster and Tate the entire game. Their run defense is horrible.

This should be an easy W no matter how bad Schaub has been. Run the dang ball and crush Bradford.

If we lose this one it's ovah
Old 10-08-2013   #13
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post

I have that pegged as the VERY first offensive play call, since only a D-Bag would do it. Unlike last week, where there were two run plays before it.
Old 10-08-2013   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I don't know if you have any games from early last year , but if you do , watch any from the first quarter of the season and then any from this season and compare .... Its quite obvious when doing so that Schaubs velocity is GONE (what little he had to begin with).
I noted early last year that Schaub's arm looked more lively than it had at any point in his career. Don't need to go watch the games. I could probably find posts where I said that last year.

But I think that was an aberration. Matt has always been a lobber more than a zinger. Maybe it is worse now. It probably is. But instill think he's about the same guy he's always been.

I don't think Matt would play this poorly all the time. I think we can win with him if the rest of the team is not making mistakes. But when he's playing like this it doesn't matter. Either way I think he's either a burden or a huge burden.
Old 10-08-2013   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Schaub shouldn't be needed in this game, imo. Run Foster and Tate the entire game. Their run defense is horrible.

This should be an easy W no matter how bad Schaub has been. Run the dang ball and crush Bradford.

If we lose this one it's ovah
If we manage to win this one but haven't changed a thing it's still over.

I think this game is going to be the one that delays real change for two more weeks and ends up putting us at 3-4. We beat the Rams, everyone smiles and relaxes, and then the Chiefs bring us and Schaub back down to earth. 3-4 record.

Then we see the Colts and Luck coming to visit and we end our first half of the season getting our asses beaten at home to fall to 3-5

The time to make that change is right now with a fairly modest challenge coming here. The time to let TJ or Case take the reins is in front of a grateful and supporting home crowd against an opponent that neither one of them would have to be a hero to beat. That gives them time to get settled before visiting KC and two weeks of playing before they face the Colts back here.

If we run Schaub out there and he muddles through a win without screwing up too bad and that is followed by a bunch of "We always knew he had it in him" back slapping then we're really screwed because the good teams aren't going to stop coming and nothing will have really changed.

We'll be seeing a lot of this after Matt and the Texans beat St. Louis

Old 10-08-2013   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

I don't think we are beating the rams if Schaub plays. Rams have some good players.
Old 10-08-2013   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
Rams players nap on their bench while Schaub throws footballs at them.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #18
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think we are beating the rams if Schaub plays. Rams have some good players.
Their DL is very good, they can get after the QB. They have good LB's too and their CB's are excellent. Safety is by far the weak link in their defense.

They're going to get pressure and Schaub is going to crumble like he always does when he's about to get hit. I wouldn't be surprised to see his streak of INT games go to 9 or 10 in a row (whatever it is now).

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I noted early last year that Schaub's arm looked more lively than it had at any point in his career. Don't need to go watch the games. I could probably find posts where I said that last year.

But I think that was an aberration. Matt has always been a lobber more than a zinger. Maybe it is worse now. It probably is. But instill think he's about the same guy he's always been.

I don't think Matt would play this poorly all the time. I think we can win with him if the rest of the team is not making mistakes. But when he's playing like this it doesn't matter. Either way I think he's either a burden or a huge burden.
This is a league where very little separates the good from the bad. I don't think we realize how thin the line is ....

Schaub's never had a big arm ... probably had just enough to get by. For a guy limited physically like him , any loss of ability is .... enough to take him from serviceable to poor. I really believe this is what we are seeing.

Old 10-08-2013   #20
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I just can't understand why we don't go to our TEs on quick slants or crossing routes or deep slants when defenses start blitzing LBs. Anyway great post.
Few Reasons:

- we don't have anyone that can beat man to man coverage.
- TE's are taken away by CB's or good LB's, such as SF's, and the safeties start playing closer to the LOS which closes in on the seam routes as you have to get it over the top of the LB, in front of the safety.
- we get behind and the run game is no longer a threat for the LB's to worrry about.
- we get double A gap blitzed because noone worries about Matt "escaping" the pocket, which makes it even harder for him to see anything over the center of the field.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read