Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2013   #1
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default In support of Case...

Its taken me awhile to come to this but I can no longer see a light at the end of the Matt Schaub tunnel. I am endorsing change in the form of Case Keenum, who seems to be the only QB on the roster who has any chance of being a true game changer. In that spirit, I have now changed my avatar to reflect Case's alma mater, who is with me?
Old 10-08-2013   #2
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 40896 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: In support of Case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
I don't have any problems saying I am ignorant when talking about football
That was me, so you may not want me to be on your side
Old 10-08-2013   #3
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
That was me, so you may not want me to be on your side
Strenght in numbers right? Lol.
Old 10-08-2013   #4
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 40896 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Strenght in numbers right? Lol.
If you follow my first quote you will find a better explanation of my thoughts...

long-story-short: I like keenum but I'd rather wait to start him as QB
Old 10-08-2013   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a coog so you know i'm with you... I'm just guarding against homerism. I saw him play many many times at U of H....i just want him to earn the job and be given a real shot..not some last ditch effort to try to save this season.

As it stands now, i feel if he gets in & doesn't perform well or just mediocore, he'll be written off by most here & the staff as well come next offseason and you likely won't hear from him again...at least here.

Let him get in late in the season & gain some confidence so going into the next off-season he comes in pretty much as the incumbent. Let him compete with a 1st round talent...if he wins, he wins & he gets a real shot to lead this franchise...if not well.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #6
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I'm a coog so you know i'm with you... I'm just guarding against homerism. I saw him play many many times at U of H....i just want him to earn the job and be given a real shot..not some last ditch effort to try to save this season.

As it stands now, i feel if he gets in & doesn't perform well or just mediocore, he'll be written off by most here & the staff as well come next offseason and you likely won't hear from him again...at least here.

Let him get in late in the season & gain some confidence so going into the next off-season he comes in pretty much as the incumbent. Let him compete with a 1st round talent...if he wins, he wins & he gets a real shot to lead this franchise...if not well.
No time like the present. With today's rules designed for more offense and protecting qbs, no since in sheltering young qbs anymore. Schaub doesn't have "it" anymore and TJ doesn't appear to be a game changer so lets see what we got with Case.
Old 10-08-2013   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been in the Keenum Koolaid drinking club for a while now.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2013   #8
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 75856 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if this makes me some "Keenum Truther" or whatever Montrose-esque term people want to assign, but yeah, I want to see Keenum over Yates and here is my reasoning;

Schaub is FUBAR'd and IMO, neither Yates or Keenum THIS season will lead the Texans to the promised land. That said, I already know what Yates has, it's a Schaub 2.0 without the picks Schaub has had this season for the most part.

With Keenum, he is a total enigma as far as what he can do and is mobile and has the guts to "stand tall" in the pocket and not go fetal and sling it around.

Now, let's re-read what I just said for those that clearly won't read what I just said and knee jerk all over themselves about daring to think Keenum should get a shot.....IMO the season is shot if Schaub doesn't turn it around, we have seen the Yates act which is similar to Schaub, so let's give the kid a chance in what would be a wasted season anyway. Will he be the savior, doubt it, but let's find out.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #9
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He has the most potential on the roster to be a star qb so why not?
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
No time like the present. With today's rules designed for more offense and protecting qbs, no since in sheltering young qbs anymore. Schaub doesn't have "it" anymore and TJ doesn't appear to be a game changer so lets see what we got with Case.
Schaub's outta the picture.....i get that

what you're not taking into account is that most of these new age qb's who aren't being sheltered are 1st round talents.....i.e. guys that have their coaches pressed by fans & owners more often than not to mold their offenses to thier skill sets...the lone exceptions are Wilson & Kaepernick. And as much as a game changer Keenum has the potential to be, does anyone think Kubiak is gonna mold or change his offense to fully take advantage of Keenum's abilities? Nope. If he were the heir apparent to Drew Brees in that system....i'd agree with you. That's the type of system he comes from & Peyton would be sure to carry him & adapt...here with this coaching staff...nope.

Lastly, people keep saying the bolded but the new rules & the explosion of offense still aren't preventing qb's from failing at about the same clips as they were back when young guys were primarily sheltered. See Newton, Bradford....Weeden.

Apart from that....what's the rush? Rodgers sat on the bench for like 3-4 years before he got his shot..I think we all agree that it worked out okay for the Pack & Rodgers had immensely more talent than Keenum when he came out.
Old 10-08-2013   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Schaub's outta the picture.....i get that

what you're not taking into account is that most of these new age qb's who aren't being sheltered are 1st round talents.....i.e. guys that have their coaches pressed by fans & owners more often than not to mold their offenses to thier skill sets...the lone exceptions are Wilson & Kaepernick. And as much as a game changer Keenum has the potential to be, does anyone think Kubiak is gonna mold or change his offense to fully take advantage of Keenum's abilities? Nope. If he were the heir apparent to Drew Brees in that system....i'd agree with you. That's the type of system he comes from & Peyton would be sure to carry him & adapt...here with this coaching staff...nope.

Lastly, people keep saying the bolded but the new rules & the explosion of offense still aren't preventing qb's from failing at about the same clips as they were back when young guys were primarily sheltered. See Newton, Bradford....Weeden.

Apart from that....what's the rush? Rodgers sat on the bench for like 3-4 years before he got shot..worked out okay for the Pack.

That's real truth right there. In this offense, with this coach, Keenum is going to be asked to go out there and do his best Matt Schaub impersonation. If Gary won't give a guy he's been coaching for 8 years much room to create on the fly then you can be sure he won't give Keenum that kind of latitude.

Case might even get in the doghouse if he colors outside the lines and something bad happens as a result.
Old 10-08-2013   #12
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 19952 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
That's real truth right there. In this offense, with this coach, Keenum is going to be asked to go out there and do his best Matt Schaub impersonation. If Gary won't give a guy he's been coaching for 8 years much room to create on the fly then you can be sure he won't give Keenum that kind of latitude.

Case might even get in the doghouse if he colors outside the lines.
I don't think this is necessarily true. I think Kubiak play calls to what he sees as Schaub's strengths. Unfortunately, Schaub is declining rapidly. He would do the same thing for Case, or even TJ for that matter. I think we saw some of that in the preseason.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I don't think this is necessarily true. I think Kubiak play calls to what he sees as Schaub's strengths. Unfortunately, Schaub is declining rapidly. He would do the same thing for Case, or even TJ for that matter. I think we saw some of that in the preseason.
People gotta stop with this...If Kubiak thought this:

we wouldn't have come out slinging the ball like we did against the best secondary in the game...what's more is he probably would've went into his conservative shell after schaub threw the 1st pick in that game..

He damn sure wouldn't have call that play he did in the SF game 3 plays into the game that led to the pick 6...he probably would've just ran it there & punted.

There's probably like 2-3 plays he might not call with Schaub that he would call with a better qb...but what makes you think he'd call those same plays with a kid making his 1st professional starts in only his 2nd year in the NFL...............the 1st on an active roster?
Old 10-08-2013   #14
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163364 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #15
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

A Longhorn chiming in to endorse Keenum as the starter.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #16
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 15768 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Case might even get in the doghouse if he colors outside the lines and something bad happens as a result.
I believe gary uses keenum differently. running on 4th and 1 and going for the long balls during pre-season. case has answered too.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #17
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

I like both TJ n Case, but I don't see Kubes starting Case over TJ. If he does then why is TJ on the roster? Only way I see Case playing is if TJ stinks it up
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #18
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Case isn't even on the active roster.. Sorry wet dreams won't happen till he at least comes on the active roster.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #19
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Case isn't even on the active roster.. Sorry wet dreams won't happen till he at least comes on the active roster.
Yes he is, he isn't active on game day. Your statement implies he is on the practice squad, which he isn't.
Old 10-08-2013   #20
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

I think I'll go with his pic instead.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read