Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2013   #21
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 23251 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Link QB change has a profound effect

I don't know if I rather kubiak benching Schaub or not, Actually I don't care for this season as much as I care for the future. So if the best decision for the future means a crappy '13 season I still will be on board.

I don't have any problems saying I am ignorant when talking about football, I don't have much time to do research and I watch it just for fun.
I'm not even american, so it's even harder for me to stay informed.

This said, I really like what I've seen of Keenum... I think he could become our next franchise QB, but I think it's too soon to make him start.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have this feeling that If he is put in that position before time it could be worst for us than to wait end suck it up for this season.

Yates in my eyes is more or less like Schaub, he could be better but he could be worse... For the long run I feel yates will at best become Schaub-bis.

So in the end I think kubiak should let schaub start, if he gets better we could still have a good season, if he stinks getting rid of him will be much more simple.

Next year make sure Keenum is ready (the team needs to be ready for him too) and start him from day 1.

Yates is a solid #2 QB for now, and will be in the future.

This is how I see the situation, If you think I'm wrong feel free to point out the flaws but please give me some reference so I can improve my understanding of the game.
Old 10-08-2013   #22
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I never thought I would say this, but I actually enjoyed this bit from ESPN.

Sure, some of the football stuff mentioned is open for discussion, but what REALLY impressed me was the format of the program. Two people, knowledgeable of football gets to speak their mind WITHOUT someone else interrupting. Compared to the NFL-N stuff coming out these days, this was actually informative and not just irritating.

On the ball side, I am in the same corner as the hosts... At this point 'something' is preferable to Schaub, and instead of plugging the hole with something similar, let's, if only for entertainment value, put something different on the field.

I'm ready to lose the season with Keenum, if only for the entertaintment value
Old 10-08-2013   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

TB51 glad to see you posting & offering opinion. I, like the rest of you, want what is best for our team. I consider myself loyal to players even those having down time or not as productive as I had hoped; see Brandon Harris. MS has done enough prior to this season for me to reluctantly say he was the best we could do. Now I am just disgusted. The point of video that stood out to me is what I want (of course) & that is a spark plug that will ignite the Texans' engine. I think that is Keenum. I watch Cougar ball when there is a player that gets my attention and Case did that long ago. First he perseveres and has gone against naysayers his entire football life. If you are unaware of his story, research. There are plenty of posts on this MB with numerous links. His only negative is height but he not only is a player but a leader and field general. College stats: http://espn.go.com/college-football/...81/case-keenum

Sure you cannot go on stats alone but many here have watched him play many times. He is extremely accurate and unlike Manziel and some of the other hybrid QBs, he runs only when he has to.
Old 10-08-2013   #24
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Link QB change has a profound effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan View Post
Nice vid, unfortunately they nailed it and so have several of the comments following. Kubes is loyal and follows the rank structure. That's why Yates will get the next shot.

I spent 25 years in the military and commanded several organizations. As you know, in the military you have a rank structure and something called "time in grade" (TIG) which simply means how senior you are for that rank. I believe Yates is the back-up because he's been in the league longer and did nothing in the pre-season to lose that position in Kubiak's mind. Maybe a little of that Aggie Military stuff was driven into his soul and he's too rigid to adapt.

I learned early in my career that those that adapt the quickest do the best. I never hired people for positions based on TIG, I bucked "the system" because I knew to have a winning organization you have to have the best people in the toughest positions.

GK, it's not a sin to buck the system. Give Case Keenum the ball and build the game plan around his strengths. I'm confident he'll give us a spark. He'll make mistakes, but he has "it" and I believe that magic is what we need to stop this train wreck and get us back on track. We can win this year. This team has a defense with heart, hell Watt, Cushing, etc. have more passion and talent then one team deserves. Foster, Andre, etc. want to win and they care, you can see it in their body language. They just need a LEADER. GK, give Case the ball and a game plan, he'll not only make you proud, he'll lead this team from the edge of the abyss and at the very least make this season entertaining if not fruitful.
I agree with this. I have a question, though. Will it make any difference who the quarterback is, whether it's Yates or Keennum, or even a high draft pick next year? Have other teams figured out Kubiak's playcalling? Not excusing Schaub, but I get the feeling defenses know what's coming. I just don't know if another quarterback is the answer.
Old 10-08-2013   #25
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 23251 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Tiger View Post
I agree with this. I have a question, though. Will it make any difference who the quarterback is, whether it's Yates or Keennum, or even a high draft pick next year? Have other teams figured out Kubiak's playcalling? Not excusing Schaub, but I get the feeling defenses know what's coming. I just don't know if another quarterback is the answer.
I don't know kubiak that well, if you think Kubiak's playcalling will be the same even with a different type of QB then yes, predictability could be an issue.

I don't think I know the answer, but I hope he is capable enough as HC to adapt the playcalling to best suit the QB/Team.
Old 10-08-2013   #26
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Tiger View Post
I have the same questions. I don't think Gary's plays are horrible, but the way he calls them is terribly predictable. I really think he needs to hand his Denny's menu to Dennison and let him call the plays. Same plays, different caller. It's obviously not revolutionary, but I think it would be helpful.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #27
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 56944 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Finally just saw the First Take video and as much as that show is usually just my clown show entertainment at lunch when I see the replay of the day's episode, I have to say I agreed with them both a lot. Which sucks because it's Tuesday night and usually I'm over a loss by now but as loaded as this roster is, it is a travesty that Kubiak may let Schaub continue to $hit his pants before our very eyes and wreck this season even more.

Do I hope Schaub can turn it around and be awesome and lead the Texans to a SB? Duh.....of course. However, I don't have rose colored glasses and I'm not a sunshine pumper and I refuse, absolutely refuse to slurp at the altar of mediocrity any longer. This isn't the first, I don't know, 5 years of the franchise. It is time to expect more and if you don't think it is and the same ol same ol is just fine than I suggest not watching and just playing Mario Kart or something. This team needs something, anything to spark it whether that is Yates or Keenum at QB I don't care. Schaub has demonstrated as of now this season is over if he keeps playing. So WHY IN THE HELL would anyone be hesitant to move on yet? He is NOT the best chance to win anymore.

There is no way you can convince me that soon should Schaub keep $hitting his pants the locker room won't be a mess. Of course all the players are giving the corporate speak but c'mon, if you live in reality for a sec you KNOW Andre Johnson and others who deserve better and have too much talent are probably even more pissed than us fans. This team will soon if not already lose faith in Schaub is THAT is the worst thing that can happen.

Actually that's not the worst thing that can happen. This team needs to either go 12-4 and win the SB or lose in the playoffs or 4-12 so we can blow Schaub and Kubes out the door finally which could be argued should have happened years ago. The worst thing that can happen is Kubiak run just enough wins off to keep his job and keep the Texans stuck in mediocrity because you know Ole Uncle Bob won't do anything about it.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #28
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for posting that. I have to agree with them.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read