Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-07-2013   #21
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 Draft Eligible QB's

[quote=WolverineFan;2224497]This is a list of QB's that could be in the next draft. Obvious note, not all will enter the draft. All heights and weights are taken from various scouting websites and probably not 100% accurate. Rankings are from research and my own personal opinion. Without further ado....

YES NOT LIKELY1. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville - Top 5
- Junior
- 6'3, 205

YES2. Marcus Mariota, Oregon - Top 10
- RS Sophomore
- 6'4, 215

YES YES YES NOT LIKELY3. Brett Hundley, UCLA - Top 10
- RS Sophomore
- 6'3, 225

YES MIGHT DROP TO US4. Tajh Boyd, Clemson - Top 15
- RS Senior
- 6'1, 225

NOT SOLD, BUT ID LIKE TO GIVE IT A CHANCE5. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M - Top 25
- RS Sophomore
- 6'0, 200

EH, 2ND RD ID TAKE IT6. Aaron Murray, Georgia - 2nd Round
- RS Senior
- 6'1, 210

NO 7. Zach Mettenberger, LSU - 2nd Round
- RS Senior
- 6'5, 235

YES, WOULD TAKE IN LATE 1ST8. Kevin Hogan, Stanford - 2nd Round
- RS Sophomore
- 6'4, 220

NOT AT ALL9. Stephen Morris, Miami (FL.) - 3rd Round
- Senior
- 6'2, 220

NOT AT ALL10. A.J. McCarron, Alabama - 3rd Round
- RS Senior
- 6'3, 215

WOULD TAKE IN 2ND11. Derek Carr, Fresno State - 3rd Round
- RS Senior
- 6'3, 215
thetexanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #22
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Assume that none of these guys are the next Andrew Luck, which QBs would you characterize as showing they can "put a team on their back" and win with sheer will? I've seen Manziel do it. I feel like I've seen that from Aaron Murray.

Talking about the most competitive dudes you've seen. Hates to lose, challenge you to a contest in anything and go all out to beat you?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #23
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Assume that none of these guys are the next Andrew Luck, which QBs would you characterize as showing they can "put a team on their back" and win with sheer will? I've seen Manziel do it. I feel like I've seen that from Aaron Murray.

Talking about the most competitive dudes you've seen. Hates to lose, challenge you to a contest in anything and go all out to beat you?
Tajh Boyd

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #24
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Could we draft Kevin Sumlin in the 1st round instead of a QB?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #25
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109144 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Could we draft Kevin Sumlin in the 1st round instead of a QB?
As much as I admire Coach Sumlin, and like him in college, I'm not 100% sure his offense translates to the pro game very well.

The Chip Kelly experiment is going to be a good indicator of how these spread offenses do in the modern NFL. Maybe a new era of offenses are upon us, the way DBs draw PI calls nowadays. But maybe it's too early.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #26
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109144 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Manziel and Boyd are pretty damn clutch.

Of the two Boyd makes a better prospect for our team. Manziel would do better with the Eagles.
Old 10-07-2013   #27
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 15351 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm ALL for trading our '15 first pick if we can get Boyd or Hundley. Those two are gamers. I'd prefer Hundley. I would be pleased with Boyd, but his body type looks like it would add on some pounds if he isn't a health freak. I guess nothing a little Houston weather couldn't fix.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully Rick/Gary/Matt are gone and the Texans hire Oliver Luck/Shaw.

Then draft Hogan. If the Texans are drafting in the 15-18 range I would,

A. trade up for Hogan
B. Draft Van Noy at 15 and trade into the bottom of the 1st and pick one of, Mettenberger/Manziel/McCarron/Murray.

I like option B. better.

I love Bridgewater/Hundley and dont like Boyd at all. If the Texans want a better version of Boyd, they can sit still at 15-18 and pick Manziel.

BTW, Trading for Bray intrigues me, I would offer a 3rd for him. Of course all of the draftniks know how I feel about Bray. I'm glad he went to K.C. and will get a chance to learn under Reid. He will become a better version of Foles.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #29
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

please
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #30
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post

please

This guy has a chance to be the best QB in this draft. Mora speaks highly of him. Due to Hundley running a rpo offense Hundley will be better than Bridgewater.IMHO

I still like Hogan better than Bridgewater or Hundley. But didn't rank Hogan because he most likely will stay in school.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #31
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly think it depends on who our coach is next year. For this offense my personal favorites are Boyd and McCarron. McCarron has a very underrated arm and makes every throw. He doesn't get enough credit in my opinion. Murray is slowly warming up to me too. Bridgewater and Hundley will be long gone by the time the Texans draft. If we could address the defense or O-Line in RD 1 and grab McCarron in the 2nd I'd be pretty pumped.

I'm disappointed in Fales play thus far this year. I had high hopes for him coming into the season. Don't even get me started on Logan Thomas. All the tools in the world, but erratic as hell.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #32
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Hopefully Rick/Gary/Matt are gone and the Texans hire Oliver Luck/Shaw.

Then draft Hogan. If the Texans are drafting in the 15-18 range I would,

A. trade up for Hogan
B. Draft Van Noy at 15 and trade into the bottom of the 1st and pick one of, Mettenberger/Manziel/McCarron/Murray.

I like option B. better.

I love Bridgewater/Hundley and dont like Boyd at all. If the Texans want a better version of Boyd, they can sit still at 15-18 and pick Manziel.

BTW, Trading for Bray intrigues me, I would offer a 3rd for him. Of course all of the draftniks know how I feel about Bray. I'm glad he went to K.C. and will get a chance to learn under Reid. He will become a better version of Foles.
personally i like Rick, i think from the Draft and FA his supplied this team in enough ammo to win the Super Bowl, its just our QB has fallen off a cliff this season. i would be very surprised and disappointed if Rick Smith goes, i think his one of the better GM's in the game.

Also there is quite the difference between boyd and manziel
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #33
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116440 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

"Tajh Boyd and De'Andre "Nuk" Hopkins connected on seven passes for 173 yards and two touchdowns. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #34
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
I'm ALL for trading our '15 first pick if we can get Boyd or Hundley...
I'd rather trade our '14 pick and empty the vault for Famous Jameis.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #35
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Ehhh, The little i've seen of Hundley since this thread has been made...color me unimpressed. He certainly looks the part, big strong guy with a live arm...but his footwork is awful and he doesn't look all that accurate to me...He looks really raw..certainly will have to sit a year. Seems a little slow through his progressions as well.

Bridgewater doesn't impress me too much either. He by contrast has great footwork & his arm seems good....that wind up though....he's gonna have to shorten that in the NFL....which might mess with his accuracy. Apart from that, you wonder about the competition he faces.

McCarron seems to look like the best total package imo..best combo of everything....he just looks more polished to me than the rest of the guys..After that Boyd...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft mocksters have us taking a QB at 17

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #37
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft mocksters have us taking a QB at 17
The Browns even suck in mock drafts! They picked Boyd at 9 after he just got selected at 8.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #38
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm no expert and it's early in the evaluation process but I'm liking what I see in Aaron Murray. I like that he holds the ball high, has a quick release, good accuracy, decent-good arm strength, and though he's no Vick, Wilson, or RGIII he's got decent mobility. On the down side he seems to stare down his receivers thus telegraphing where the throw is going. That will get him picked off in the NFL.

I'm not terribly impressed by Tajh Boyd. He runs well, has quick feet, and avoids a pass rush well, he's athletic, but most of his throws are the same thing we're getting from Schaub right now ie: short routes, stationary receivers, comeback routes, throws in the flat, short crossing routes, etc... and when he does throw down field there's alot of air under the ball. Many times receivers are slowing down or waiting on the ball to get there. His arm doesn't seem to be that strong, and average release. In Boyds defense though, his O-line isn't that great, he's getting pressured alot so he doesn't get alot of time to step into a throw.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 10-08-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #39
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Lol I saw that too.

If you have to choose between mettenberger and Manziel?
Old 10-08-2013   #40
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I may be in the minority, but I would love to have Manziel on the Texans.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read