Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-07-2013   #1
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2014 Draft Eligible QB's

This is a list of QB's that could be in the next draft. Obvious note, not all will enter the draft. All heights and weights are taken from various scouting websites and probably not 100% accurate. Rankings are from research and my own personal opinion. Without further ado....

1. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville - Top 5
- Junior
- 6'3, 205

2. Marcus Mariota, Oregon - Top 10
- RS Sophomore
- 6'4, 215

3. Brett Hundley, UCLA - Top 10
- RS Sophomore
- 6'3, 225

4. Tajh Boyd, Clemson - Top 15
- RS Senior
- 6'1, 225

5. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M - Top 25
- RS Sophomore
- 6'0, 200

6. Aaron Murray, Georgia - 2nd Round
- RS Senior
- 6'1, 210

7. Zach Mettenberger, LSU - 2nd Round
- RS Senior
- 6'5, 235

8. Kevin Hogan, Stanford - 2nd Round
- RS Sophomore
- 6'4, 220

9. Stephen Morris, Miami (FL.) - 3rd Round
- Senior
- 6'2, 220

10. A.J. McCarron, Alabama - 3rd Round
- RS Senior
- 6'3, 215

11. Derek Carr, Fresno State - 3rd Round
- RS Senior
- 6'3, 215

12. David Fales, San Jose State - 3rd Round
- Senior
- 6'2, 220

13. Sean Mannion, Oregon State - 4th Round
- RS Junior
- 6'5, 220

14. Jeff Mathews, Cornell - 4th Round
- Senior
- 6'3, 225

15. Bryn Renner, North Carolina - 4th Round
- RS Senior
- 6'2, 225

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #2
Smokedawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 Smokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: 2014 Draft Eligible QB's

Quote:
7. Zach Mettenberger, LSU - 2nd Round
Is skyrocketing up the boards.

Quote:
11. Derek Carr, Fresno State - 3rd Round
Old 10-07-2013   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Assume for a second that we tank this season and McNair actually fires Kubiak.

Based on Schaub's contract, would that new coach feel it more prudent to stick with our current group of quarterbacks, or do you think that he would look at moving on completely?
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #4
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Assume for a second that we tank this season and McNair actually fires Kubiak.

Based on Schaub's contract, would that new coach feel it more prudent to stick with our current group of quarterbacks, or do you think that he would look at moving on completely?
Tough to say. A new coach might decide to roll with Schaub for a year to find things out for himself. Or he might already know enough and decide to move on.

The end result is the same. We need to move away from Schaub and plenty of us have known that for a while now. Next year's draft is the perfect opportunity because it is deep with potential starters.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 10-07-2013   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Mariota is going to be as accurate as most NFL coaching staffs would like, he's probably going to drop. There are a lot of dudes that look like 1st or 2nd round talents.
Old 10-07-2013   #6
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't think Mariota is going to be as accurate as most NFL coaching staffs would like, he's probably going to drop. There are a lot of dudes that look like 1st or 2nd round talents.
I'm actually not a big Mariota fan. The Oregon offense sets everything up for the QB and all he has to do is not mess it up. Like Manziel, he won't be able to run like he does to escape pressure and mistakes. He's going to have to live off his arm, not his legs.

However, most scouts see him as the top guy behind Bridgewater so that's why I ranked him #2. In my personal opinion, Boyd is #2 and Hundley #3.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 10-07-2013   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I'm actually not a big Mariota fan. The Oregon offense sets everything up for the QB and all he has to do is not mess it up. Like Manziel, he won't be able to run like he does to escape pressure and mistakes. He's going to have to live off his arm, not his legs.

However, most scouts see him as the top guy behind Bridgewater so that's why I ranked him #2. In my personal opinion, Boyd is #2 and Hundley #3.
Tell me more about this Hundley kid...haven't seen him play much...

Also, what are your thoughts on trying to make a trade for 1 of these young prospects from off someone's team in the NFL....

Dysert/Osweiler from the Broncos

Foles from the Eagles?

Bray from the chiefs?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2013   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Reuniting Nuk with Tajh Boyd would be a thing of beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #9
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Tell me more about this Hundley kid...haven't seen him play much...
He was a top recruit coming out of Arizona. He has a very strong arm with good zip. Not great top end speed, but very good mobility. Like I've said before, he's a passer that can run, not a runner that can throw (Mariota is the later, IMO). Makes solid decisions and rarely hesitates. UCLA runs somewhat of a Pistol Spread, but Noel Mazzone incorporates a lot of pro concepts into his offense. Jim Mora is his head coach and there is a lot of NFL experience on the staff.

Beat out 2 Seniors as a RS Freshman for the starting job. Completed 66% of his passes for 3,740 yards and 29 TD's with 11 picks. Also ran for 355 yards and 9 TD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Also, what are your thoughts on trying to make a trade for 1 of these young prospects from off someone's team in the NFL....

Dysert/Osweiler from the Broncos

Foles from the Eagles?

Bray from the chiefs?
I'm not really in the "trade for prospect" camp. The draft next year is too good at QB. I think we could draft a better prospect than we could trade for. We could end up with a pretty good shot at landing a guy like Boyd in the 1st without trading up. Of the guys on that list, Foles is the only one I would even consider trading for. Also Kirk Cousins from the Redskins.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 10-07-2013   #10
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now I'm on the Hundley bandwagon, but I think he's gone before we pick. I would love to move up and grab him, but it's doubtful. Boyd is my second right now.

I want someone who can make some kinda of play with their legs, but preferably in the Russell Wilson, run around until someone can get open mode.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #11
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
Right now I'm on the Hundley bandwagon, but I think he's gone before we pick. I would love to move up and grab him, but it's doubtful. Boyd is my second right now.

I want someone who can make some kinda of play with their legs, but preferably in the Russell Wilson, run around until someone can get open mode.
Bridgewater, Boyd, and Hundley are all guys that use their mobility to enhance the passing game. They can escape pressure, but they are looking downfield.

Mariota and Manziel are both run-first guys that scramble at the first sign of pressure. Manziel, in particular, has a tendency to break the pocket on the blitz even if everything is picked up. I have serious reservations about how he reacts to NFL defenses.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 10-07-2013   #12
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As homer as I am about Manziel, this is my concern with him in the NFL. I have fears that he's just a system baby, same as I have/had fears about Keenum, though I was impressed with Keenum's play in the preseason.

That being said Manziel is trying really hard to showcase that he can be a pocket passer. There is a distinct lack of magical runs on broken plays though he is just as good dodging defenders in the backfield as he was last year. Whether he actually looks good as a pocket passer is yet to be determined. I'll say this about him, though. He doesn't jump to the run right after one read. He's going through his progressions.

In an ideal world he stays one more year and improves even more, but that's not happening. He needs to work on being a pass first guy.

For the record my ideal, rational choice for this team is Tajh Boyd. I think TexansSeminole is also on that bandwagon with me. I just like being an irrational homer
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #13
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

More importantly, where do you think we'll be picking? At this rate we might have our choice of QBs, with the exception of Teddy Bridgewater and whoever's drafted second.
Old 10-07-2013   #14
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bridgewater, Boyd, and Hundley are all guys that use their mobility to enhance the passing game. They can escape pressure, but they are looking downfield.

Mariota and Manziel are both run-first guys that scramble at the first sign of pressure. Manziel, in particular, has a tendency to break the pocket on the blitz even if everything is picked up. I have serious reservations about how he reacts to NFL defenses.
I was enamored with Mariota last year, but then I watched more game tape and came to the same conclusion you did. We need someone who will stay in the pocket a bit longer.

I liked Bridgewater a lot last year, but haven't watched him much this year cause I figure he's a top pick and we won't trade up that far. I wish he was playing some tougher competition this year as well.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #15
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
More importantly, where do you think we'll be picking? At this rate we might have our choice of QBs, with the exception of Teddy Bridgewater and whoever's drafted second.
I think we'll be drafting mid-teens. #15, #16, etc.

It depends on who is available also. I expect Bridgewater to enter, Boyd is a senior, Manziel will enter, one of Mariota and Hundley will enter, Murray is a senior, and Mettenberger is a senior.

I would expect Bridgewater to go #1, Mariota or Hundley to go top 5, Boyd top 10, and Manziel top 20. We may have to settle for Murray or move up (I don't want Manziel).

Bridgewater, Hundley, Boyd, Murray. In that order.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 10-07-2013   #16
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
I was enamored with Mariota last year, but then I watched more game tape and came to the same conclusion you did. We need someone who will stay in the pocket a bit longer.

I liked Bridgewater a lot last year, but haven't watched him much this year cause I figure he's a top pick and we won't trade up that far. I wish he was playing some tougher competition this year as well.
I love Bridgewater. He shows Luck-like poise and decision making. The game against Florida sealed it for me. That said, he plays against that type of talent once a year and not 4 or 5 times like these other guys. The competition concerns are valid.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 10-07-2013   #17
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think we'll be drafting mid-teens. #15, #16, etc.

It depends on who is available also. I expect Bridgewater to enter, Boyd is a senior, Manziel will enter, one of Mariota and Hundley will enter, Murray is a senior, and Mettenberger is a senior.

I would expect Bridgewater to go #1, Mariota or Hundley to go top 5, Boyd top 10, and Manziel top 20. We may have to settle for Murray or move up (I don't want Manziel).

Bridgewater, Hundley, Boyd, Murray. In that order.
I'd be very happy with moving up 5-6 spots to pick up Boyd. If I was Rick Smith and the season continues as is that's a move I make.
Old 10-07-2013   #18
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I'd be very happy with moving up 5-6 spots to pick up Boyd. If I was Rick Smith and the season continues as is that's a move I make.
I agree. The problem is you're either giving up a 2nd or a 1st next year to move up those 5-6 spots. That said, at this point it's something that needs to be done.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 10-07-2013   #19
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I agree. The problem is you're either giving up a 2nd or a 1st next year to move up those 5-6 spots. That said, at this point it's something that needs to be done.
This. At this point QB is a glaring need that needs to be addressed.
Old 10-07-2013   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

The ideal situation for me is that Bridgewater and Hundley go early to teams that need quarterbacks and we can pick up Boyd in the middle of the first round. Tampa, Cleveland, and Arizona are teams that will most definitely target a QB. Minnesota, Jacksonville, and maybe even Pittsburg may also be in the hunt for a QB.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read