Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-06-2013   #1201
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'll have to go back to look for it.
It's easier for you to assume these things because they sure are rare.
Exactly my point....its extremely unlikely that keenum is going to be any better than Yates.....And people wanting to see him just b/c he's the unknown commodity isnt a good enough reason to start him over Yates imo....not while we still have something to play for anyway..

I dont have a problem with him getting his shot, i just dont think that he shouldn't have it before We get a real good look at TJ to see if he can at least be a stop gap guy.....short of yates or keenum absolutely lighting it up, we should go qb in the 1st round regardless and hit camp next year with the qb job open.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1202
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak has announced that Schaub will start next week.

Fisher's Rams got excited. At least the DBs did.

Granted, this could still change.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1203
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post

Fisher's Rams got excited. At least the DBs did.

Granted, this could still change.
Hello Janoris Jenkins, IDP

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1204
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Exactly my point....its extremely unlikely that keenum is going to be any better than Yates.....And people wanting to see him just b/c he's the unknown commodity isnt a good enough reason to start him over Yates imo....not while we still have something to play for anyway..

I dont have a problem with him getting his shot, i just dont think that he shouldn't have it before We get a real good look at TJ to see if he can at least be a stop gap guy.....short of yates or keenum absolutely lighting it up, we should go qb in the 1st round regardless and hit camp next year with the qb job open.
If you're making a QB change, which means you've pretty much given up on the season, then I would rather see Case, whether he's better than Yates or not. Yates isn't taking you anywhere. Yates isn't better than Schaub and we know where the Schaub train is going. Should have traded TJ when you had the chance.

Now, Case may not take you anywhere either, but like I said, if the change is made, the season is lost anyway. Might as well see if the guy can play or not.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1205
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
I don't understand this. What possible benefit can we gain by proclaiming he is the starter next week?

I'm glad to see that he was finally benched, but if it had any effect on him at all, you just ruined it by naming him the starter for next week already.

I've got to hear the rest of the speech, but I'd have liked it if he just said, "We're going to evaluate the situation."
Old 10-07-2013   #1206
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
If you're making a QB change, which means you've pretty much given up on the season, then I would rather see Case, whether he's better than Yates or not. Yates isn't taking you anywhere. Yates isn't better than Schaub and we know where the Schaub train is going. Should have traded TJ when you had the chance.

Now, Case may not take you anywhere either, but like I said, if the change is made, the season is lost anyway. Might as well see if the guy can play or not.
I disagree, we're only giving up on the season if we start the guy who doesnt have any starting experience under his belt not the guy who already has 1 playoff win under his belt.....we can at least strive for that with him b/c he's done it before.

With Keenum, we'd basically be holding a season long try out for the qb position for next year...
Old 10-07-2013   #1207
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub's comments are disgusting. What is all this "we" stuff?

Guys are about to start turning on Schaub.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1208
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Schaub's comments are disgusting. What is all this "we" stuff?
I thought he had a mouse in his pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Guys are about to start turning on Schaub.
Whether they are or not, we're going to start hearing about them.
Old 10-07-2013   #1209
SWATteam
Rookie

As much as we get frustrated by Kubiak's conservative offense sometimes, sadly all we needed was for Schaub to be Alex Smith this year. We have a top defense + running game and the best punter in the league (history?) to play the field position game. All he had to do was not make stupid decisions and screw up basic reads.

I can't believe I'm saying a pro QB should be like Alex Smith, the definition of mediocre and game manager, but Schaub can't even do that~! I have no doubt that we'd be at least 4-1 and a playoff team if he could just manage not to spot the other team 7 every game. We're lucky to have even beaten the Bengals and Schaub's ginger cousin Andy Dalton last year because of his horrible pick 6.

Do I believe we would be a legit SB contender playing that style or that the Chiefs have a shot this year? Most likely no, but it has to be less frustrating than what's going on so far. Only positive I can see is if hopefully it forces a change and saves us from another year under Schaub...
SWATteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1210
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Come On Breh View Post
why not? why cant keenum battle it out vs yates in practice and them split reps vs the first string defense?

yates has regular and playoff reps under his belt, he has multiple years of experience with this offense yet he couldnt separate his play from keenum who just got here in preseason.

that should tell you right there who has the upside and potential and it at least warrants yates beat out keenum in practice reps vs 1st team defense.

What's the problem with proving it and earning it?

Freaking hate this mentality of hey schaubs been starter lets keep going with him just cuz huurr durrrr.

its just retarded.
First of all, Keenum is in his 2nd year in this system as well....just b/c he was on the practice squad last year doesn't mean he wasn't supposed to be learning the offense as well..

2nd of all, the bolded works both ways...you look at it as Yates didn't separate himself from Keenum just b/c Yates is the incumbent....well Keenum didn't exactly definitively separate himself from Yates in preseason either.

& i don't have a problem with the whole pratice reps thing you suggest. But are we really trusting our HC to make the honest evaluation of who should win the starting spot? His fatal flaw is he's loyal to a fault....
Old 10-07-2013   #1211
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

The chorus of " boo's" that will rain down on Schaub this Sunday will be the equivalent of the thumbs down in Rome's colisseum, only difference Schaub won't be dismembered for our viewing pleasure.
Old 10-07-2013   #1212
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I disagree, we're only giving up on the season if we start the guy who doesnt have any starting experience under his belt not the guy who already has 1 playoff win under his belt.....we can at least strive for that with him b/c he's done it before.

With Keenum, we'd basically be holding a season long try out for the qb position for next year...
What is with you guys and this "experience" nonsense when it comes to Yates? Yates has one half a season, and you guys throw this around as if he is some 8 year vet that has been in multiple playoff seasons with huge performances on his belt. In that half season he had horrible pedestrian numbers and threw nothing but check downs. His experience showed that he was nothing but backup material.

And the whole "experience" thing is really overrated any way. Random QB's have popped up and had success quickly around this league for years. Warner had instant success, Rodgers had instant success, Wilson as a rookie had instant success, Kaepernick did as well. Hell, that guy from Cleveland (Hoyer) was tossing the ball around with those garbage weapons before he recently got injured. The league has made it easier for a bigger variety of QB's to be successful with the spread options working consistently. Experience is extremely overplayed here.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1213
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
all it takes is one tweet, a cell phone video, an instagram picture.
After Vandermeer's acc't got hacked I refuse to believe anything I see tweeted.
Ever again.
If a player has something to say, then he ought to man up and step in front of the cameras.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1214
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

What Qb after starting his career as a back up, being traded to another team, starting and enjoying success, then being benched after throwing 4 straight pick 6's, went on to post-season success and Super Bowl glory?
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1215
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
What is with you guys and this "experience" nonsense when it comes to Yates? Yates has one half a season, and you guys throw this around as if he is some 8 year vet that has been in multiple playoff seasons with huge performances on his belt. In that half season he had horrible pedestrian numbers and threw nothing but check downs. His experience showed that he was nothing but backup material.

And the whole "experience" thing is really overrated any way. Random QB's have popped up and had success quickly around this league for years. Warner had instant success, Rodgers had instant success, Wilson as a rookie had instant success, Kaepernick did as well. Hell, that guy from Cleveland (Hoyer) was tossing the ball around with those garbage weapons before he recently got injured. The league has made it easier for a bigger variety of QB's to be successful with the spread options working consistently. Experience is extremely overplayed here.
I agree 100%. Based on what all you "experience " guys say you never make a change. Experience is only ONE factor and it really could be NO factor if you never learn anything. For some it is a brand new day every day. I think MS is at a point that even if he has an advantage in experience his physical skills are so debilitating that it doesn't matter.

TJ looks so much like Matt it is scary. Stats in preseason looked very similar between TJ and Case but the eyes said a different story. I remember at least two great long passes caught in stride that Case made. It very well may occur that Case is not ready but why not find out. I still am for either making all 3 active or preferably MS inactive so that we see TJ and Case play.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1216
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:

All those qb's either run offenses tailored to their skill set or gimmicky packages that do the same, have incrementally better coaches to guide them along or have been in the league for years & started or at least played in 1 regular season game before they got the nod....

None of which are in play in this situation here. Kubes ain't gonna all of a sudden start running spread packages exclusively for Keenum like he did at UH...He ain't gonna incorporate a zone read package to utilize his mobility and he ain't gonna all of a sudden start being aggressive with his play calling.

He'll likely smother Keenum until he becomes as robotic as Schaub is/was.
Old 10-07-2013   #1217
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:

-Gary Kubiak

how many regular season games and playoff games does keenum have compared to yates?

how many years has keenum been a member of an nfl 53 man roster compared to yates?

i mean yates was already running this offense in college yet he couldnt outright beat out an undrafted and undersized qb.
& the bolded more than anything should tell you how difficult it is to have success in this league....
Old 10-07-2013   #1218
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
What is with you guys and this "experience" nonsense when it comes to Yates? .
There are only two starting QBs in the league right now that started their careers as back ups.

Tony Romo & Matt Schaub.
Old 10-07-2013   #1219
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
yea if you dont have any balls to make bold moves and not even give yourself a chance to find out.
We can find out....once the season is lost...much how we handled Arian...
Old 10-07-2013   #1220
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub has 4 pick-6 INT's in last 4 games. Schaub has the same amount of TD passes to Andre Johnson over the last 36 games.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read