Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-07-2013   #1181
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Because deep down, people hate being proven wrong more than anything.
Well, I was wrong. I thought Schaub was better than this.
I was wrong.

We should start Keenum or Yates. Schaub has got to earn his way back under center as the starter.

And it doesn't necessarily have to be in a Texans uniform
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1182
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10263 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
And I just don't understand what is so hard to understand about this philosophy at this point? We know what we have with Schaub and Yates. We don't know what we have in Keenum just yet. We do have potential though. Lets see what he can do in a real game. How can it be any worse than the alternatives?
how does one conclude that weve seen what we need to see from yates??? just asking, are you basing this off what he did as a rookie?? or the couple of appearances in blowouts last year?? it took you guys 7 years to finally see the light with schaub. but tj, 8 games, from his rookie season and youve seen enough?????

i say both guys are pretty unknown and probably not the answer..
Old 10-07-2013   #1183
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 147070 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Where's Nitrofish ..... Someone has to stick up for Schaub.

I really want to hear the excuses he can come up with after this asswhoopin.
I think he's busy organizing the next Rally for Schaub I hear there's gonna be a huge turnout.
Old 10-07-2013   #1184
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

How can anyone say they know what Yates is?

Based on some games during his rookie year when he was thrust into a starting role on a first time ever play off team?

The only qb on this team that we have a good idea of what he's about is Schaub.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1185
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm fine with Yates getting the start. If he doesn't get it done, then I think Keenum gets the nod before Schaub does. I think all 3 need to be on a short leash though.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1186
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point I would trade Schaub for a decent kicker. 2 birds with 1 stone.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1187
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Me personally, i just cant believe kubiak would be that negligent to not at least open the job up if there was any thought that keenum could be the guy.....if there is/was and he still did what he did, then that's just 1 more reason kubiak should be fired...

I mean lets be real here, keenum is 3rd string for a reason....if he had the real potential you guys think he has, i have to believe that kubiak would've at least had him as the clear back up behind Schaub going into the season.

Aside from that, i dont think i've EVER heard of a guy becoming a successful starting Qb in the league for a sustained amount of time coming from 3rd string...that just doesnt happen.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1188
BorrowMe
Rookie

Rep Power: 316 BorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Me personally, i just cant believe kubiak would be that negligent to not at least open the job up if there was any thought that keenum could be the guy.....if there is/was and he still did what he did, then that's just 1 more reason kubiak should be fired...

I mean lets be real here, keenum is 3rd string for a reason....if he had the real potential you guys think he has, i have to believe that kubiak would've at least had him as the clear back up behind Schaub going into the season.

Aside from that, i dont think i've EVER heard of a guy becoming a successful starting Qb in the league for a sustained amount of time coming from 3rd string...that just doesnt happen.
Tom Brady was 4th string

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
BorrowMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1189
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Keenum has to be the guy for now. You have to see what's on the roster in case you need to look towards drafting a QB. While Yates might be better than he was in 2011 I think his ceiling is still a serviceable backup that can fill in when needed. We need to see if Keenum can be the guy or look at a day 1 guy.

You don't have to be a top 10 QB to be great.

Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben were all out of the top 10.
So were Wilson and Kaepernick.

The last 2 aren't great, but tbey'd be improvements.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1190
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowMe View Post
Tom Brady was 4th string

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
If i recall, he came into camp as 4th string, but by the time the season rolled around He was the clear back up the year he came in for bledsoe.....not the same situation as we are in...
Old 10-07-2013   #1191
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
At this point I would trade Schaub for a decent kicker. 2 birds with 1 stone.
The key to that is to use a big stone.
Old 10-07-2013   #1192
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Kubiak is loyal to people.

He's not just going to replace Yates based on any potential keenum shows. Yates has been a good boy, so he'll get first dibs.

Then after that, keenum would be next.

Kubiak isn't going to rock the boat. Everything has it's place.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1193
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

There have been quite a few; I had listed many of them before.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1194
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Kubiak is loyal to people.

He's not just going to replace Yates based on any potential keenum shows. Yates has been a good boy, so he'll get first dibs.

Then after that, keenum would be next.

Kubiak isn't going to rock the boat. Everything has it's place.
I know but if Keenum was to come in here and lite it up it would just further show this dude's incomptence.....and why he needs to be gone along with Schaub.
Old 10-07-2013   #1195
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
This point seems a little strange to me, since it assumes Yates has done nothing since he played for us in 2011. We don't know if Yates has improved or not, either, since all we've seen out of both Keenum and Yates is preseason performances, which can be pretty misleading.

However, I'm fully aboard the start Keenum train just because I'm tired of all the Keenum nuttiness on this board. Either he wins for us and and I'm happy, or the Keenum love stops, and I'm happy.
Yates has shown that he wouldn't be anything other then a Jason Campbell type of QB at best. A decent starter in some games, and a back up type of guy in the rest. He is and never was a guy that was touted to be an NFL starter. Maybe you feel differently, but I don't see any potential that would lead me to think that he could be a big time passer in this league.

And yes Keenum on the other hand has shown me that he potentially could. He can move in and out of the pocket and has a very quick release. He puts the ball in small windows on a lot of throws that I know a guy like Schaub would never even attempt. He reminds me of a shorter version of Romo actually. What I don't know is if he can play well in the clutch or even in big regular season games? I'm dying to find out. I want to see if he can become an igniter for this offense right now. But with this same ole stubborn safe HC coach, we'll probably never find out. We'll just suffer through Schaub until the off season where he'll get another 4 years to see what he can do with another QB.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1196
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's what to expect going forward:

1) Schaub will be the starter against St Louis. This will be interesting, because Fisher knows the tendencies of this offense.

2) If Schaub does not improve over the next two games, Rick Smith will have Schaub benched indefinitely. Kubiak can be as loyal to Schaub as he wants, but Smith has a business to run. We saw this course of action when Kubiak was left out of the conversation regarding the hiring of Wade Phillips. It also fits the 20/70/10 philosophy that Smith adopted, which dictates that when your highest paid players in the top 20% underperform and drop into the middle 70%, they become a burden on the team and you have to take action.

Last edited by Brisco_County; 10-07-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1197
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
There have been quite a few; I had listed many of them before.
Not guys who worked their way up from 3rd string to become starters over multiple seasons b/c thats not the same thing we're talking about here.......guys that were on the roster as 3rd stringers at 1 point in the season & then leap frogged the 2nd string guy during the season for the starting spot in the same season.........guys who weren't high draft picks and weren't expected to ascend to the starting job and came outta nowhere.....thats what. We're talkng about if we 're seriously entertaining starting keenum.
Old 10-07-2013   #1198
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 147070 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Does Schaub ever pump fake? I mean he winds up and his delivery and ball speed are slow so wouldn't a pump fake every now and then help out?
Old 10-07-2013   #1199
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not guys who worked their way up from 3rd string to become starters over multiple seasons b/c thats not the same thing we're talking about here.......guys that were on the roster as 3rd stringers at 1 point in the season & then leap frogged the 2nd string guy during the season for the starting spot in the same season.........guys who weren't high draft picks and weren't expected to ascend to the starting job and came outta nowhere.....thats what. We're talkng about if we 're seriously entertaining starting keenum.
I'll have to go back to look for it.
It's easier for you to assume these things because they sure are rare.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #1200
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Does Schaub ever pump fake? I mean he winds up and his delivery and ball speed are slow so wouldn't a pump fake every now and then help out?
His pump fake would be as slow and he'd have to reset. He'd probably be falling away when pumping as well making it even harder to quickly throw.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read