Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-05-2013   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tajh Boyd

Tajh Boyd from Clemson had an excellent year last year and has been great thus far this year. This is his 3rd year starting at Clemson. Through four games (more like 3.5) he is completing 64% of his passes with 8.7 YPA. He has 994 passing yards, 159 rushing yards, 9 TD passes and 4 rushing TDs with 0 interceptions.

Link to his college stats thus far.

Opinions seemed to be mixed on him on this boards, but I think most people like him. Personally, I think he fits the Texans well. He can extend plays with his feet, he shows up in big games, he's tough, and he is a winner. He is inaccurate at times, but nothing that can't be corrected.

What are your thoughts on his projection to the NFL, specifically the Texans?
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tajh Boyd

One thing for sure, Boyd would get the ball to DeAndre more. He is my #1 Senior QB. Strong, durable, can extend plays, performs better under pressure which is a reflection a top level competitor. So I would feel comfortable he could handle this city's expectations of what a QB should be, plug & play as new leader of a more dynamic Texan offense, especially in the red zone.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
One thing for sure, Boyd would get the ball to DeAndre more. He is my #1 Senior QB. Strong, durable, can extend plays, performs better under pressure which is a reflection a top level competitor. So I would feel comfortable he could handle this city's expectations of what a QB should be, plug & play as new leader of a more dynamic Texan offense, especially in the red zone.
I like him a lot too .... easily the top SR QB in this class but I don't think the Texans pick will come up before his named is called unless they continue to underperform.

It would likely require a significant jump in draft position to get him as I think he goes (at this point) in the top 10 selections.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I like him a lot too .... easily the top SR QB in this class but I don't think the Texans pick will come up before his named is called unless they continue to underperform.

It would likely require a significant jump in draft position to get him as I think he goes (at this point) in the top 10 selections.
Given another national embarrassment, seems there's only one thing to look forward to, the draft. Here is a good article from yesterday game -
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...ck-vs-syracuse

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #5
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

at least schuab has done one thing right. he sucked in a year when there is a lot of good talent at QB.

thanks matt
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks BL I enjoyed the read.
Old 10-07-2013   #7
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
at least schuab has done one thing right. he sucked in a year when there is a lot of good talent at QB.

thanks matt
That's the way to look on the bright side, and our draft position is getting better and better each week as well.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2013   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 293187 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Walter Football seems to think Boyd is 5'11, fwiw.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #9
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Walter Football seems to think Boyd is 5'11, fwiw.
NFL Draft Scout has him at a measured height of 6005. (same as Brees)
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 293187 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
NFL Draft Scout has him at a measured height of 6005. (same as Brees)
Actual height will be measured pre-draft. Doesn't amount to much, but some put a lot of stock in QB height/size.
Old 10-26-2013   #11
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I like Boyd. He does have some fotwork issues that throw his accuracy off at times. He reminds me a lot of mcnabb and cutler. Compact,powerful guys with good feet. At times their mechanics will cause them to throw groundballs,but then they will make a lot of throws only a select few can make. He can go anywhere from 3 to 15.
Old 10-26-2013   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

he really needed this game to improve his accuracy percentage.
Old 10-26-2013   #13
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
he really needed this game to improve his accuracy percentage.
Actually his percentage dropped below 70% after the Florida State game.
Old 10-26-2013   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Actually his percentage dropped below 70% after the Florida State game.
You are incorrect as he was only above 70% for two games (Wake Forrest 70.8 & Syracuse 74.1) & then dropped against Boston College to 68.2 and followed that with the terrible 45.9 at Florida St. My comment stands.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/480221/
Old 10-26-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 245830 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF1v91Kb71s&noredirect=1

I believe that's all of Boyd's throws against Georgia 2013. I wasn't impressed. Everything out of the pistol, appears to be a one read, check down, run guy. Accuracy... not feeling it.

His arm doesn't look good enough to me. He floats anything over 10 yards (may be a little hyperbole here), but he does have good zip on the shorter throws. If I had to guess, he would struggle if he had to start his first year.

I like his size, he's thick, he's athletic.... may not be very tall, can't tell.

Now after that video ended, there was this highlight video of Marcus Mariota
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdQcqop2R-w&noredirect=1

Still can't tell how tall he is, & he looks lanky.... Joe Flacco-ish, Matt Ryany...... But I like his arm. That's a big time arm. More athletic than Boyd & appears to be going through progressions. Even buying time looking for something downfield, before he decides to make a run for it.

I'm not a scout. I don't watch a lot of these kids. & I know it isn't fair to judge Boyd on one video (but it wasn't a highlight video, it was an every snap of this game video) But if I were to choose I'd go with Mariota.

Ok...... here's a highlight video of Boyd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdldOjwn6i0&noredirect=1

His arm looks much better, his accuracy looks much better (but it is a highlight video). Still not impressed with him going through progressions. Looks like he's got his mind made up & he's waiting for his guy to open up.
Old 10-27-2013   #16
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF1v91Kb71s&noredirect=1

I believe that's all of Boyd's throws against Georgia 2013. I wasn't impressed. Everything out of the pistol, appears to be a one read, check down, run guy. Accuracy... not feeling it.

His arm doesn't look good enough to me. He floats anything over 10 yards (may be a little hyperbole here), but he does have good zip on the shorter throws. If I had to guess, he would struggle if he had to start his first year.

I like his size, he's thick, he's athletic.... may not be very tall, can't tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdQcqop2R-w&noredirect=1

Still can't tell how tall he is, & he looks lanky.... Joe Flacco-ish, Matt Ryany...... But I like his arm. That's a big time arm. More athletic than Boyd & appears to be going through progressions. Even buying time looking for something downfield, before he decides to make a run for it.

I'm not a scout. I don't watch a lot of these kids. & I know it isn't fair to judge Boyd on one video (but it wasn't a highlight video, it was an every snap of this game video) But if I were to choose I'd go with Mariota.

Ok...... here's a highlight video of Boyd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdldOjwn6i0&noredirect=1

His arm looks much better, his accuracy looks much better (but it is a highlight video). Still not impressed with him going through progressions. Looks like he's got his mind made up & he's waiting for his guy to open up.
I agree with this post.
Old 10-27-2013   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

I liked his skill set, but his (lack of) performance against Florida State really put me off Boyd. I'm not interested in a QB who totally loses his composure like that... don't want a guy who folds.
Old 10-29-2013   #18
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I liked his skill set, but his (lack of) performance against Florida State really put me off Boyd. I'm not interested in a QB who totally loses his composure like that... don't want a guy who folds.
What's interesting is that his reputation, prior to that game, was that he was a guy who stepped up in big games.

I'm not sure that the FSU game wasn't an aberration. I still don't know that I would want to draft him, though.

I, personally, would sell the farm for Mariota.
Old 10-29-2013   #19
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
What's interesting is that his reputation, prior to that game, was that he was a guy who stepped up in big games.

I'm not sure that the FSU game wasn't an aberration. I still don't know that I would want to draft him, though.

Boyd's problem in the FSU game is his OL was giving him less than 3 secs to get rid of the ball. I don't think there is a college QB today who would have performed any better. I don't think there is another college QB playing today with as many GW drives as Boyd.
Old 10-31-2013   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Mariota's completion percentage is under 60% which is ~10% lower than the other QB's expected to go in the top 2-3 rounds. That includes Bridgewater , Manziel , Carr , Hundley , McCarron and Murray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

I thought the same thing about that FSU game .... Boyd has come up big several times in pressure situations over the past couple seasons.
I really liked him and had him as the top rated Sr QB but the past few weeks have me questioning his position again.

Not sold on Mariota ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read