Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Is the SB Window Closing?
YES 46 66.67%
NO 23 33.33%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2013   #81
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is the Super Bowl window closing?

I voted yes but realize it could easily change. Hopefully, Cushing and D Brown back will help and AJ and Newton will be healthier against niners.
Old 10-06-2013   #82
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
He performed better in the last quarter of the 2011 season.
Don't know if this got pointed out, but Schaub was on IR for the last quarter of the 2011 season. Did you forget to use the smilie?

FWIW, I voted no. For all the flak that Smith and Kubiak are getting, they've drafted very well and done very well with UDFA's. We're a QB change away from the Super Bowl. I think that QB is on the roster right now and he just needs to be given the chance. I see that chance coming in the next 2-3 weeks. Schaub will end his career with the Texans on IR (for whatever reason you care to think of) and either Yates or Keenum will lead this team to at least the AFCCG.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #83
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
Andre Johnson 32
Owen Daniels 30
Matt Schaub 32
Daniel Manning 31
Ed Reed 35

And Arian Foster is closing in on 27 with multiple injuries over the years.
I voted no. Johnson could still have three plus years remaining. Reed was brought in for his leadership and his replacement is already on the roster in Swearinger. The Texans already have two Daniels clones on the roster in Graham & Griffin, so losing OD could just be a cap savings. Manning is a good safety and his replacement isn't currently on the roster, but that is why you have the draft & free agency. The QB is probably the biggest concern with the window closing but Schaub looks replaceable right now. I see a three year window with the current roster as is before some of the main core group of guys (Schaub/Foster/Daniels) are replaced.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #84
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Reed was brought in for his leadership and his replacement is already on the roster in Swearinger.

Manning is a good safety and his replacement isn't currently on the roster, but that is why you have the draft & free agency.
The more I watch them play, the less I think this is true. Swearinger is probably Manning's replacement. Manning wasn't horrible last season, but if money was of no concern, I'm sure the Texans would have kept Quin, & let Manning walk. Dman is playing better this year, he's playing a position he's better suited for... but Swearinger looks like insurance in the event DMan wasn't playing well.

If Reed were to miss any significant time, Shilo is the starter. If Manning misses any time, I'm sure Dj would get the start. In that situation, Shilo would drop down to Dj's current position & 35 would play over the top in Dime situations.
Old 10-06-2013   #85
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
I don't know if they're spinning their wheels or not - I'm not an NFL GM and I don't pretend to be one on here. It's simply an opinion, one I think is rather viable.
I'm trying to get my head around what you're saying. On the one hand, you believe the Texans have never had a Super Bowl caliber team. On the other hand, you don't think the Texans window is closing for a Super Bowl (re: poll vote). Are you saying the window isn't closing, because it was never opened?

I would like to know why one has to be a NFL GM to have an opinion on whether the organization is "on the right track". And you never really stated what your opinion was on that.
Old 10-06-2013   #86
GoCoogs
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respected

A Super Bowl team should be able to win one game out of this stretch against the Ravens, Seahawks, and 49ers.
GoCoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #87
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoogs View Post
A Super Bowl team should be able to win one game out of this stretch against the Ravens, Seahawks, and 49ers.
And the Texans managed to snatch a defeat from the jaws of victory. The team needs to find a way to play a full 4 quarters and the coaching staff needs to find away to make needed adjustments for a full 4 quarters. I've drank my weekly and see this game going to Houston on big plays.
Old 10-06-2013   #88
GoCoogs
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
And the Texans managed to snatch a defeat from the jaws of victory. The team needs to find a way to play a full 4 quarters and the coaching staff needs to find away to make needed adjustments for a full 4 quarters. I've drank my weekly and see this game going to Houston on big plays.
I would like to drink the Koolaid but everytime I do, I find a roach in the punch bowl.
GoCoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #89
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33993 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as we have Matt Schaub at QB, I don't see the SB as a realistic expectation.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #90
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Super bowls are never reasonable expectations. The team of the era with one of the greatest QBs and a HC with a reputation as a mastermind hasn't won one in 9 years. Frankly their teams which won were not near as formidable as many of them since.
Old 10-06-2013   #91
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33993 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The team of the era with one of the greatest QBs and a HC with a reputation as a mastermind hasn't won one in 9 years.
Amazingly right after they got caught cheating ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #92
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I find it hard to believe a Super Bowl contender would lose 3 in a row.

Quote:
I would like to drink the Koolaid but everytime I do, I find a roach in the punch bowl.
Dry it out & smoke that mutha.... ain't nothing like BattleRed flavored bud.
Old 10-06-2013   #93
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Super bowls are never reasonable expectations. The team of the era with one of the greatest QBs and a HC with a reputation as a mastermind hasn't won one in 9 years. Frankly their teams which won were not near as formidable as many of them since.
Exactly.... well, sorta.

Their SB winning teams had above average running games, & purdidamn good defenses. Now, all they've got is Brady. & like the Peyton Manning led Colts they dominate the regular season but run into trouble come January.
Old 10-06-2013   #94
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Exactly.... well, sorta.

Their SB winning teams had above average running games, & purdidamn good defenses. Now, all they've got is Brady. & like the Peyton Manning led Colts they dominate the regular season but run into trouble come January.
Umm, well sorta.

Since the last SB win the Patriots have only been out of top 10 on offense one year and out of top 10 on D two years on points. Their point differentials have been sick. In 2007 their point differential was higher than the scoring of a third of the league.
Old 10-06-2013   #95
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Umm, well sorta.

Since the last SB win the Patriots have only been out of top 10 on offense one year and out of top 10 on D two years on points. Their point differentials have been sick. In 2007 their point differential was higher than the scoring of a third of the league.
Where has their running game been? & top 10 in points defensively tells me they were out of the top 10 in yards quite a bit. It's all got to work together & that team has been "too dependent" on their QBs & the QB can't do it by himself, whether it's Schaub, Brees, or Rodgers.

Having a great QB helps, I'm not saying it don't. But if you're "the Bradies" or the "foreheads" as opposed to the Patriots & Colts, you're not going to win a Super Bowl.
Old 10-06-2013   #96
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh yeah...we won't have a snowball's chance in hell if we don't win the SB this year. Good players can never be replaced and things NEVER change for the better. We'll be doomed to inescapable mediocrity for decades to come, forced back to the bottom of the division where we'll stay until the NFL is driven into bankruptcy by economic depression.

Or it's impossible to predict NFL history beyond a quarter into the future and this thread is stupid.
Old 10-06-2013   #97
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

I think it all depends on Schaub. If he's back to preinjury healht (which I think he is) then the window's wide open.
Old 10-06-2013   #98
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it all depends on Schaub. If he's back to preinjury healht (which I think he is) then the window's wide open.
He is a couple of years older. I see him going further downhill as season and years go on.

A better question may be" Is our playoff window closed?"

I think as long as MS is our starting QB it is.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #99
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I keep going back to what CnD says about Schaub's foot. Watch the games again and you'll see Schaub throwing off his back foot a lot. I don't think Schaub will ever be back to pre-injury Schaub.
Old 10-06-2013   #100
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I keep going back to what CnD says about Schaub's foot. Watch the games again and you'll see Schaub throwing off his back foot a lot. I don't think Schaub will ever be back to pre-injury Schaub.
I've watched the games (going back to the last 5 of last year) again & again & I'm not seeing it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read