Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you think Ben Tate's YPC would remain high if he got more carries?
Yes 11 20.37%
No 27 50.00%
I don't care, give him the ball. 16 29.63%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2013   #21
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ben Tate poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Kubes is under the gun again and I think he will keep Tate as is (which is successful) rest of season to get wins. I prefer a trade.
If the goal is a super bowl this season .... does trading Tate help you reach that goal?? I don't think so.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
If the goal is a super bowl this season .... does trading Tate help you reach that goal?? I don't think so.
I think Foster is hitting his stride and Wood offers enough to rest him occasionally. Of course I want something good for Tate and not just a trade. I think Tate's effectiveness reduces as season progresses.
Old 10-05-2013   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Arians ypc have declined each season, but he's still thought of as a good back. I think with backs the gaudy ypc numbers on not as many carries aren't as impressive as a reliable guy with a lot of carries that's able to consistently churn out yards.
You're absolutely right, & that's why 1000 yard seasons are "notable."

A 1000 yard season in & of itself is no big deal, just like you've stated. However, you get a guy who churns out 1000 yards year after year, you've got yourself a franchise back.

There will probably be a bunch of guys who'll run for a thousand this year, but I bet very few of them ran for a thousand last year, or the year before that, & most of them won't run for 1000 yards next year.

Same thing with 4000 yard QBs. No doubt, there are some badasses who'll throw for 5000 yards year in & year out (I think there's a grand total of 1 guy with back to back 5000 yard seasons in the league right now).

You can make it 4700 yards, 4500 yards.. whatever you want. But the list of guys with 4000 yards over the last 4 years is still a pretty impressive list.
Old 10-06-2013   #24
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64147 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If we want to have a chance to win today:

Foster - 30 carries

Tate - 30 carries

Keep the ball out of Matts hands ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #25
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
You're absolutely right, & that's why 1000 yard seasons are "notable."

A 1000 yard season in & of itself is no big deal, just like you've stated. However, you get a guy who churns out 1000 yards year after year, you've got yourself a franchise back.

There will probably be a bunch of guys who'll run for a thousand this year, but I bet very few of them ran for a thousand last year, or the year before that, & most of them won't run for 1000 yards next year.

Same thing with 4000 yard QBs. No doubt, there are some badasses who'll throw for 5000 yards year in & year out (I think there's a grand total of 1 guy with back to back 5000 yard seasons in the league right now).

You can make it 4700 yards, 4500 yards.. whatever you want. But the list of guys with 4000 yards over the last 4 years is still a pretty impressive list.
Here's a good article on RB's getting over used.
Old 10-06-2013   #26
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Come On Breh View Post
...-screwing tate of millions of dollars by not giving him enough refs.
Tate has the same number of refs as every other player on the field the last time I counted.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Tate has the same number of refs as every other player on the field the last time I counted.
C'mon brey... it di aksent mahn.
Old 10-06-2013   #28
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Tate has always been a better pure runner than Foster because he's got what
Foster doesn't have which is a real burst and also better top-end. And I think Tate in addition is a stronger, harder runner inside the tackles.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Tate has always been a better pure runner than Foster because he's got what
Foster doesn't have which is a real burst and also better top-end. And I think Tate in addition is a stronger, harder runner inside the tackles.
Who's the better receiver ?

Who protects the ball better ?

Who picks up the blitz better ?

Yeah , Tate's a strong runner and I like him .... wouldn't mind him starting IF he wasn't behind a superior player.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Yeah , Tate's a strong runner and I like him .... wouldn't mind him starting IF he wasn't behind a superior player.
I've always thought Foster ran better when Tate's involved in the game, like they try to one-up each other after every run.
Old 10-06-2013   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't think Arian is superior at all.

He has better hands, but so what? When was the last time his good hands made a difference? It's not like he's catching a bunch of passes and hashing defenses like Marshall Faulk.

And I also think the lack of reps is a part of Tate not being as secure with the ball and not showing his ability to pass protect.

But really I'm not as concerned with that as I think he's better with the ball in his hands at this point in their careers. I don't think Arian is quite as good as he's been in the past and I think Tate has not been given an opportunity to really flex.

But that seems to be about status quo for this team. Drag their feet on everything. One step at a time. Ho-hum. Whistle while you work. Don't want to rattle the cage too much.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #32
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's like saying former Texans WR Walters was an excellent blocker.
First and most of all, WRs are paid to catch passes just as RBs are paid to run the ball.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read