Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes 33 28.70%
No 82 71.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2013   #121
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68181 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
In the spring of 1996 Wichita Unified School District 259, Wichita Kansas, formed a Committee on Desegregation. This committee made a unanimous recommendation to remove the REDSKIN mascot of 70 years used by one school in the district, Wichita North High School. In response to the recommendation of removal the principal of Wichita North High School formed another Mascot/Identity Committee to make a recommendation to the Site Council at North High School who would then make a recommendation to him on the future of the long standing REDSKIN mascot.

The following remarks were made by Clem Ironwing, Sioux, November 11, 1996, during a public hearing called by the Mascot/Identity Committee. Denied a seat on the Committee, Mr. Ironwing, an elder, was given three minutes standing alone on the school stage in front of three television stations, local radio stations and the Wichita Eagle newspaper in front of an audience of 250 to explain why it is not right for the school to continue using this mascot. His remarks follow:
Quote:

"The word Redskin was taught to me at a very young age, and this is the meaning it has for me.

"I am a Native American. I grew up on an Indian reservation. As a child, the United States Government and the Catholic Church came into our homes, took us away from our families, and forced us into Catholic boarding schools. There was no choice to be had in this matter, you had to go. The Catholic Church with the blessings of the United States Government took it upon themselves to determine that we were savages, and needed to be transformed to fit into their society.

"When my hair was cut short by the priests, I was called a "redskin" and a savage. When I spoke my native tongue, I was beaten and called "redskin". When I tried to follow the spiritual path of my people, I was again beaten and called a "redskin". I was told by them to turn my back on the ways of my people, or I would forever be nothing but a dirty "redskin".

"The only way "redskin" was ever used towards my people and myself was in a derogatory manner. It was never, ever, used in a show of respect or kindness. It was only used to let you know that you were dirty and no good, and to this day still is.

"A long time ago, a group of people who had no knowledge of these facts, and who put no thought into what "redskin" actually meant chose to use this word for their mascot. A new group of people, now being confronted about it, have somehow decided it is their decision to change the meaning of this word to fit their purposes and agendas, but again have put no thought into its true meaning or what this word means to Native Americans." --by Clem Ironwing, Sioux
http://www.thepeoplespaths.net/articles/redskin.htm
Dan B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #122
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
thanks for posting that.
and anyone who grew up watching old cowboy flicks knows that Redskin was never, ever used by the cowboys (the good guys) as a term of respect or affection. Don't take my word for it; go back and watch some of those early Gary Cooper or John Wayne movies.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #123
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Alright, that's what I was looking for. If I could, I'd change my vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
thanks for posting that.
and anyone who grew up watching old cowboy flicks knows that Redskin was never, ever used by the cowboys (the good guys) as a term of respect or affection. Don't take my word for it; go back and watch some of those early Gary Cooper or John Wayne movies.
I probably need to do that because I can't remember the word used in that manner in those movies.
Old 10-05-2013   #124
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

10/05/13

Quote:
In an interview with the Associated Press, Obama was asked what he makes of the controversy surrounding the Redskins nickname. Although Obama said he doesn’t believe the Redskins or their fans are trying to offend anyone, he did say he believes that enough Native Americans are offended by it that it’s something the team needs to weigh.

“If I were the owner of the team and I knew that the name of my team, even if they’ve had a storied history, that was offending a sizable group of people, I’d think about changing it,” Obama said.

Obama did not say he believes the Redskins need to change their name, and he did not suggest that the government should take any action to compel the Redskins to change their name. But the mere fact of the President of the United States suggesting that changing the name might be a good idea shows just how hot a topic this has become.

Snyder can say all he wants that he’ll never change the Redskins’ name. But the pressure on him to re-think that position is mounting.

UPDATE 1:23 p.m. ET: Lanny Davis, an attorney and spokesman for the Redskins, told NBC’s Kristen Welker: “As a supporter of President Obama, I am sure the president is not aware that in the highly respected Annenberg Institute poll (taken 2004) with a national sample of Native Americans, 9 out of 10 Native Americans said they were not bothered by the name the ‘Washington Redskins.’ The president made these comments to the Associated Press, but he was apparently unaware that an April 2013 AP poll showed that eight out of ten of all Americans in a national sample don’t think the Washington Redskins name should be changed.

“We at the Redskins respect everyone. But like devoted fans of the Atlanta Braves, the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago Blackhawks (from President Obama’s home town), we love our team and its name and, like those fans, we do not intend to disparage or disrespect a racial or ethnic group. The name ‘Washington Redskins’ is 80 years old – it’s our history and legacy and tradition. We Redskins fans sing ‘hail to the Redskins’ every Sunday as a word of honor not disparagement.”
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #125
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I just don't see this name as being racist. Context is important and it is not meant to offend. I can say that I'm offended by the Cowboys name if I want to for whatever reason I feel. That doesn't mean that it is out there to offend.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #126
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 137757 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
cak, no amount of spin will cause me to feel any different or think it's any less racist and derogatory.

Obviously, what I say and how I feel doesn't matter to the majority of you all either.
How about if someone says wazzup my skinna'? Changing the last few letters makes a world of difference to some folks around here.
Old 10-06-2013   #127
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48499 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You don't walk into a Walmart and hear rednecks commonly saying some crap about GD redskins holding up the lines but you sure do with blacks.
They may have a lot to do with there not being any Native Americans holding up the lines at WalMart, or the fast food drive-thru, or the post office, or the bank, or ...
kingtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #128
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48499 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Black man is not some term "African Americans" came up with to describe themselves.

Don't think we pale folks came up with "white boy" either. Just sayin ...
kingtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #129
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 99071 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I just don't see this name as being racist.
You're Native American?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #130
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 35170 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
You're Native American?
Even if someone is a mere fraction, I want to know if they identify as NAI.

I'm 3/4 NAI and the remaining 1/4 is Irish, German, Spanish, Turkish. If the Annenburg Institute calls me and asks if I'm Irish, I can truthfully answer yes. That doesn't mean I know a damn thing about the Irish, though, because I don't identify as one.

Wait! This gets even better. Hookem, your wife is Spanish, right? That means I get an opinion on her/my culture/ancestry and get to tell her how to feel, right? LOL
Old 10-09-2013   #131
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24666 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Even if someone is a mere fraction, I want to know if they identify as NAI.

I'm 3/4 NAI and the remaining 1/4 is Irish, German, Spanish, Turkish. If the Annenburg Institute calls me and asks if I'm Irish, I can truthfully answer yes. That doesn't mean I know a damn thing about the Irish, though, because I don't identify as one.

Wait! This gets even better. Hookem, your wife is Spanish, right? That means I get an opinion on her/my culture/ancestry and get to tell her how to feel, right? LOL
Damn, it must be good to feel so strongly about your ancestry...

I'm italian and have more shame than pride in that....
Old 10-09-2013   #132
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There are Native American schools that call their teams Redskins. The term is used affectionately by some natives, similar to the way the N-word is used by some African-Americans. In the only recent poll to ask native people about the subject, 90 percent of respondents did not consider the term offensive
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/...ins-is-a-slur/
Hey but you can bet that if a reporter from the NY Times found one Indian on some remote reservation in Montana or Wyoming who objected to the "Redskins"
label, that reporter would make a big story and therefor a big issue about it.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #133
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 35170 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Hey but you can bet that if a reporter from the NY Times found one Indian on some remote reservation in Montana or Wyoming who objected to the "Redskins"
label, that reporter would make a big story and therefor a big issue about it.
Harjo declines to estimate what percentage of native people oppose the name. But she notes that the many organizations supporting her lawsuit include the Cherokee, Comanche, Oneida and Seminole tribes, as well as the National Congress of American Indians, the largest intertribal organization, which represents more than 250 groups with a combined enrollment of 1.2 million.

From the article you posted, Idaho

BTW, I hope your state recovers from it's white supremacist label sometime soon. Beautiful country but too many scary people up there.
Old 10-09-2013   #134
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 140315 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm Native American. Call me a skin to my face and its on.
See. Last time this thread arose I mentioned that this and was told I was being "hyper-sensitive" or overly "political correct." I was told by some that "no one is offended".
Sorry, If someone called a team the NewJersey N:gg3rs I'd be offended.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #135
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24666 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
See. Last time this thread arose I mentioned that this and was told I was being "hyper-sensitive" or overly "political correct." I was told by some that "no one is offended".
I think it's more likely they'll be called NewJersey Mobsters...
Old 10-09-2013   #136
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 338994 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
But...but...what if the intention was to honor black Americans?
Old 10-09-2013   #137
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 140315 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
cak, no amount of spin will cause me to feel any different or think it's any less racist and derogatory.

Obviously, what I say and how I feel doesn't matter to the majority of you all either.

Somewhere in the convoluted gumbo that is my DNA are some Indians. The term IS a racial slur and the lady finds it offensive. There might be those who don't but it doesn't mean that she should simply get in step with them. If she's offended, she's offended.
Kids where I work figure a certain prejorative ceases to be a racial slur if it ends in "gga" as opposed to "gger". It's just as odious to me even when people of color use it.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 10-09-2013   #138
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Actually it does matter to me.

I think people that have strong Native American ancestry are the exact people that should be voicing their opinions on this...

I'm with you guys.
Old 10-09-2013   #139
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Have you ever been called a 'skin, prairie n i g g e r, or anything like that? I have :/
Wow. First time I've ever heard THAT one.
Old 10-09-2013   #140
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
I think it's more likely they'll be called NewJersey Mobsters...
No no...the "New Jersey Association of Legitimate Businessmen"

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read