Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-02-2013   #41
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The Texans need to find out what they already have at QB on the roster. Not saying I'm against drafting a QB in Rds 1-2, but they need to find out what they've got in Yates/Keenum.

Like your mock BTW, I rate OT/Pass rushing OLB higher on the needs list.

I haven't gotten into studying the 2014 draft to much yet, but If the Texans solved their pass rushing woes Van Noy and OT Ogbuehi in rds 1-2, even if they had to trade up to the top part of Rd 2 to get my OT, I would be happy with that draft.

QB comes 1st though if Yates/Keenum aren't the answer. The Texans need to solve the QB riddle before next yrs draft.

We both mocked Bray last yr due to need. That need hasn't changed. IMHO
steelb, how are they going to do that? Each would have to see the field and as discussed ad infinum on the TT board that's less than likely to happen without a Schaub injury. I, like many others, would love to see it but I don't think it's going to happen.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 10-02-2013 at 04:44 PM.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #42
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
^^^^
This

The Texans seem to be a day late and a dollar short when it comes to the draft.

Example, it took the Texans nearly a decade to draft a high end WR2 to go next to AJ.

Meanwhile teans like the Packers (Nelson/Jones/Driver) Pats (Givens, Patten, Welker) Steelers (Ward/A.Brown/Sanders/Wallace) Giants (Cruz/Mabbibgham) etc.... Seemed to be able to find several WR2's without having to spend a 1st rd pick.

Kubiak knows Schaub isn't the answer and will spend a 1st on a QB. Whatever the Texans most pressing need is, is what they spend their 1st rd pick on every yr. This yr will be QB, I just hope they dont take Boyd. If they want a QB like Boyd, they should just take the better version of Boyd. (Manziel)
Manziel may be a better QB than Boyd (stats wise or otherwise) and he may be an Aggie like Kubes, but, there is one area that Manziel fails at, as far as the Texans are concerned anyway, and that's his maturity. I don't think the Texans will touch him with a 10' pole with all the "baggage" he has and the circus that comes with him. It's just too much. Plus, and maybe I'm wrong on this, but I don't think he fits the style of what Kubes wants in a QB. Chip Kelly, yes. Kubes, no.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #43
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
so we have had now 4 or 5 mocks with us taking a QB in the 1st. realistically how likely do you think this could happen. directed at everyone but mostly at the guys who did the mocks. i dont think its very likely unless we only win like 6 games which again i dont think is likely...still optimistic of a double digit win count
That's the million dollar question right there that no one can answer for certain, but everyone has an opinion on. I agree with the consensus opinion of the board that Schaub is to old, slow, un-athletic, and weak armed to be the quality NFL QB we need to lead us to the Super Bowl. I also have my doubts that as long as Kubiak is in charge, changing the QB will not make much difference on this teams Super Bowl hopes because the play calling is also a large part of the problem. As for your question I'd like a new QB, but I think replacing Schaub with a high draft pick next year isn't very realistic. I think Schaub will be back next year, Yates and Keenum will both get another year to impress us as backups and then Yates will leave for FA in 2015 and Keenum will be Schaub's replacement in 2015 and we'll then draft another backup in 2015. JMO.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #44
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
That's the million dollar question right there that no one can answer for certain, but everyone has an opinion on. I agree with the consensus opinion of the board that Schaub is to old, slow, un-athletic, and weak armed to be the quality NFL QB we need to lead us to the Super Bowl. I also have my doubts that as long as Kubiak is in charge, changing the QB will not make much difference on this teams Super Bowl hopes because the play calling is also a large part of the problem. As for your question I'd like a new QB, but I think replacing Schaub with a high draft pick next year isn't very realistic. I think Schaub will be back next year, Yates and Keenum will both get another year to impress us as backups and then Yates will leave for FA in 2015 and Keenum will be Schaub's replacement in 2015 and we'll then draft another backup in 2015. JMO.
Whether we do or dont get a QB this off-season it will definitely show what type of organisation we have. up until now this FO of rick smith and kubiack hasnt had a QB controversy so it will show a lot of who they are by what they do this off-season
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #45
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

How many games has Owen missed, if this goes 8? Jimmy graham was a 3rd round pick now top TE in the NFL, that's value, now with Owen out priority need as well. Release Schaub, in offseason, save millions to resign Watt & draft best QB available with First Round Selection. Not happy with coverage skills of secondary, need ballhawk, how many picks do Texans have compared to 9 given up? OL help needed, return duties, LB & special teams as well a new coach!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
How many games has Owen missed, if this goes 8? Jimmy graham was a 3rd round pick now top TE in the NFL, that's value, now with Owen out priority need as well. Release Schaub, in offseason, save millions to resign Watt & draft best QB available with First Round Selection. Not happy with coverage skills of secondary, need ballhawk, how many picks do Texans have compared to 9 given up? OL help needed, return duties, LB & special teams as well a new coach!
Right on target BL! We need at least a OT and probably an OG. Newton has not shown much improvement (niggling injuries?), Brandon Williams may never return, Harris is an avg T and when Q went out we saw how thin we are. Jones did better than I expected versus SF but he is not the answer.

Ed Reed has done squat other than his "rep" + is keeping Swearinger off field. We have been fortunate with late picks for TEs and hopefully that remains.

LB? Yep as well as coach.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read