Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Is the SB Window Closing?
YES 46 66.67%
NO 23 33.33%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2013   #41
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is the Super Bowl window closing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
the only irreplaceable player on your list is andre johnson, but we just took hopkins in the first round. we want matt gone. tate's outperforming foster. graham and daniels are the same person. ed reed's just here for a year or two and training swearinger. the only missing player from your list that doesnt have someone behind him already is daniel manning.
Is Tate an adequate replacement for Foster?
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #42
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Why do we still have Ravens fans trolling here?
Because Flacco is coming off a 5 INTs loss to the Bills, and as bad as Schaub has been Flacco has been worse.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #43
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

to add to my previous post, this is what we've waited for though. being an expansion team it takes a long time to get your home grown talent into their late stages. you should know that first hand watching ray and ed leading suggs, ngata, and webb. you need the older players on the field to add balance, wisdom, and experience. it's definitely a bonus to have guys like reed and andre and myers sprinkled through the lineup to direct and influence the younger talent.

we're BETTER for finally having players on the wrong side of 30. of course you dont want the whole team getting old, but you definitely want players on the roster who have been there and done that. and you especially want players who have spent most of their careers on the team, like andre.
Old 10-01-2013   #44
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
In between that decade, my team appeared in the Playoffs 7 other times with 2 appearances in the AFC Championship game- not sure what your point is.
We're just starting our decade. We are now, what you guys were in 2000. Solid running game? check.
Stout, often imposing defense? Check.
Solid play at the TE position? Check.
Suspect QB play...? Unfortunately, check here too.
Sound familiar?

Quote:
I have yet to find in the list of Super Bowl Champions which team that got cold yet still won? That's an over used cliché.
Point taken on the over-used thing. But does that make it less true?

Quote:
I asked for peoples opinions. No snickering here but you can be obsessed with the word "troll".....1997 called- they want their Interweb terminology back.
I just wonder why a Ravens' fan would care if the Texans' fan base thought "the window was closing" (speaking of overused cliches').
So why do you care?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #45
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
if healthy, tate is as capable - especially now. similar to johnson in kansas city or alexander in seattle, foster has the look of a runningback that got too many carries and is out of gas. right now tate is the better player, and will probably continue to be.
Old 10-01-2013   #46
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11091 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
closing? With Matt Schaub at the QB position and Gary Kubiak calling the plays, can we truly say the window was ever really open to begin with?

Different coach and QB, the window is wide the hell open, but with THIS duo, it got cracked a little bit but just enough to get Texan fans hopes up...
I have to agree with this.

However, in today's NFL where parity reigns and teams go from the 1st pick in the draft to playoff challengers no team (well, maybe one) has a closed window. You might see a couple of divisions this year with 8-8 teams winning. The difference between a bad team and a good team comes down to a couple of key plays in each game. You could argue that without the pick 6 against the Ravens and the pick 6 against the Seahawks we could be 4-0. Or without Cushing's pick 6 or the safety against the Titans we could be 0-4.

We have a great core right now. We are a head coach away from being a great team as well. We're still in the playoff mix, but to be serious challengers Kubiak can't be our leader.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #47
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
We're just starting our decade. We are now, what you guys were in 2000. Solid running game? check.
Stout, often imposing defense? Check.
Solid play at the TE position? Check.
Suspect QB play...? Unfortunately, check here too.
Sound familiar?
You are a few years late. The ravens defense WON games and is considered one of the two best ever- especially hard to do since the advent of FA and rules changes.

Texans as team are much better offensively than the ravens were.

Point taken on the over-used thing. But does that make it less true?
Yes, because I could go back and look at all last 10 SB winners and find teams the played well all year long also.

I just wonder why a Ravens' fan would care if the Texans' fan base thought "the window was closing" (speaking of overused cliches').
So why do you care?
I enjoy talking about all aspects of football- except Fantasy Football- I loathe FF....I got a little bile in my throat typing that....
Old 10-01-2013   #48
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I enjoy talking about all aspects of football- except Fantasy Football- I loathe FF....I got a little bile in my throat typing that....
I never said, nor am I attempting to imply that getting hot at the right time is always the answer. Obviously it's much better to play solid football throughout the year. My point is that playing solid football for the whole season isn't the be-all/end-all. Heck you should know this, if year-long, solid football always guaranteed a championship, then the Pats would have ended up 19-0. Or Peyton would have run you guys out of Mile High Stadium last winter.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #49
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13798 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some would argue now that Tate is the better RB.

Although I think Foster is still the better more complete back, the Texans for WHATEVER reason don't use him in the pass game as much as they used to. They did this previous game and he had glimmers of what he used to be.
Old 10-01-2013   #50
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I never said, nor am I attempting to imply that getting hot at the right time is always the answer. Obviously it's much better to play solid football throughout the year. My point is that playing solid football for the whole season isn't the be-all/end-all. Heck you should know this, if year-long, solid football always guaranteed a championship, then the Pats would have ended up 19-0. Or Peyton would have run you guys out of Mile High Stadium last winter.
fair enough- Broncos were playing well all yea, Ravens came on at the end. 49ers came on at end of season, Falcons have been reg season champs forever...
Old 10-01-2013   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
fair enough- Broncos were playing well all yea, Ravens came on at the end. 49ers came on at end of season, Falcons have been reg season champs forever...
Peyton looked horrible in that game.

Just like any QB, he's hell until you pop him in the mouth. Problem is most teams can't pop him in the mouth.

Consistently. Unfortunately, he sees more of those teams in the play-offs than he does all year. Unfortunately for him.
Old 10-01-2013   #52
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 2075 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Peyton looked horrible in that game.

Just like any QB, he's hell until you pop him in the mouth. Problem is most teams can't pop him in the mouth.

Consistently. Unfortunately, he sees more of those teams in the play-offs than he does all year. Unfortunately for him.
The problem with Manning is..........if a defender even looks at him in a mean way it is a 15 yard roughing the passer penalty.

Getting back to Schaub, I'm one of those who believes that Schaub wouldn't have gotten us to the Super Bowl if he never suffered his injury. He might have gotten us past Baltimore and into the title game (big might) . TJ did throw some bad INTs in that game, but knowing who Schaub is even by the way he played back in 2010, the outcome might have still been the same.
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #53
handswarmer
All Pro

[quote=TexanBacker93;2220237]

The difference between a bad team and a good team comes down to a couple of key plays in each game. You could argue that without the pick 6 against the Ravens and the pick 6 against the Seahawks we could be 4-0. Or without Cushing's pick 6 or the safety against the Titans we could be 0-4. [quote]

Luck plays a huge factor on the road to success; its a razor thin line sometimes. Those 4 plays could determine your season as well as 1 or two more....
Old 10-02-2013   #54
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

the SB window never closes has long has u hit on your draft picks and F/a pick and undrafted / street pickups ups ............... period
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #55
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
the SB window never closes has long has u hit on your draft picks and F/a pick and undrafted / street pickups ups ............... period
We've got a loooong list of high talent players on this team & I agree with the quoted. JJ Watt is the best player on this team & he is one of the youngest, & he won't be the last star anyway--heck, we just got Hopkins. The door may be slowly closing for AJ regarding a SB, & that's a sad thing, but it's not closing for the team. I wouldn't give up on Smith, Kubiak, or Phillips, but Schaub could be slowly on his way out....and, no, I don't see McNair letting Kubiak go just because he's stuck on Schaub (if it comes to that).

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #56
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33516 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I wouldn't give up on Smith, Kubiak, or Phillips, but Schaub could be slowly on his way out....and, no, I don't see McNair letting Kubiak go just because he's stuck on Schaub (if it comes to that).
I'm a Kubiak supporter but his biggest flaw is loyalty. If, and that's a big if, the team has a clearly better option at qb or at least the potential to draft one and Kubiak says no, McNair needs to force his hand like he supposedly did with the dc. I think he would - at least if he feels that way himself.
Old 10-02-2013   #57
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33516 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn HJam72. Sorry. Sounded like I was harping on that one point. I actually agree with everything you said other than the McNair/Kubiak/Schaub thing. Tapatalk sucks to post with.
Old 10-02-2013   #58
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Super Bowl? With one foot in the grave already? The window is closing.........and the door doesn't look too promising either.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #59
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13099 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone who has ever believed we've had a Super Bowl calibre team has not watched much football.
Old 10-02-2013   #60
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Anyone who has ever believed we've had a Super Bowl calibre team has not watched much football.
So you believe that when the Texans were sitting at 11-1 last season heading into the MNF game with New England, those that thought the Texans were Super Bowl contenders were NFL neophytes? Because I could come up with a list of NFL commentators a mile long that suggested just that at that time.

If the Texans have never been contenders, 8 years into the Smithiak era, you must think the Texans are spinning their wheels with the current football organization. Right?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read