Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2013   #961
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
When Tate averages basically a turnover a game for god knows how many games now, then we can talk about Tate in the same light as Schaub.

Well there certainly is the small little details that Tate doesn't attempt passes or touh the ball every snap but don't let that get in your way
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #962
YeaLikeRightNow
Veteran

Rep Power: 650 YeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, this about sums up what real Texans team fans have been talking about since lasts years slide to mediocrity. I like Schaub, I for years believed he was "The Man", just like folks in New York felt Mark Sanchez was their man. But, an individual reaches a certain point where their previous experience level is not commensurate with a team's growing needs, and as the look on the Texans faces after the Pick-6 playing Seattle...you just knew there were going to be problems. Many "fans" don't or cannot see the Big Picture...maybe they will now.
YeaLikeRightNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #963
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 4756 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Well there certainly is the small little details that Tate doesn't attempt passes or touh the ball every snap but don't let that get in your way
Just like how people are forgetting Tate is in his 3rd year as well as Yates? That Schaub is a TEN YEAR VET and SEVEN YEAR STARTER still making the same dumb mistakes? Considering how much younger Tate is than Schaub, I don't put his fumble on nearly the same level of Schaub's. Mistakes have different weight. Schaub's mistakes greatly outweigh Tates.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #964
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: The Matt Schaub burger...this is real

Quote:
Speak for yourself. I think it's hilarious and well deserved. Schaub deserves every bit of hate for his performances.
The team gets a pass? I think Matt has reached his limit and the front office should see that fact.
Old 10-02-2013   #965
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 4756 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
The team gets a pass? I think Matt has reached his limit and the front office should see that fact.
I never said the rest of the team was blameless. I am saying that the mistakes of Schaub weigh far more than any other individual player due to his seniority, contract, and position. You cannot honestly compare his game changing mistakes to the mistakes of a 3 year backup. I personally think Matt had reached his limit a long time ago and the idiocy of Kubes prevented us from looking for a legitimate QB that the team can consistently depend on when needed. Now do I think Keenum or Yates will do better? Not necessarily, though I do believe that given a chance, they can be competitive to Schaub. At this time, I am more in a anyone-but-schaub mentality than start Yates/Keenum.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #966
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pathetic, enough is enough.
Gary - get off your high horse. It was posted as a joke. Leave it at that. Jesus, it's like you take the shots at schaub personal. If you don't like, which we all know by the multiple comments you've left in numerous threads, then leave it be or don't read.
Old 10-02-2013   #967
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3967 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #968
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 10-02-2013   #969
YeaLikeRightNow
Veteran

Rep Power: 650 YeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub was a backup QB for the Falcons. A great backup to have on any team, but...he has reached his potential I do believe as an effective starter; notwithstanding ~ he's getting up there in age as well. I have always liked Schaub, but as a leader of an up-and-coming NFL powerhouse, I just don't see his enthusiasm in the huddle or on the sidelines, even after he makes a great play. It's almost as if he cannot believe he helped make a great play. His involvement and camaraderie with the team and coaching staff, as far as I can see; is barely evident during a game. I have been questioning this ever since the team had it's disastrous ending last year. Matt is a great passing quarterback, only if he has time in the pocket. He does run the play-action very well. However, his judgement is shortsighted and he cannot scramble in most any situation. His falling down to the turf at any hint of physical contact has emerged more and more each game. It seems to me that ever since his foot injury, Matt has not been the same quarterback. The more we play Matt and lose games, the more the team's moral will decline...the winning attitude of competent players will surely suffer. It's time to search for a viable candidate to lead the team, or perhaps start rotating T.J. or Case into the lineup. The longer the team waits to do so, the heavier the downfall will be.
YeaLikeRightNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #970
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just like how people are forgetting Tate is in his 3rd year as well as Yates? That Schaub is a TEN YEAR VET and SEVEN YEAR STARTER still making the same dumb mistakes? Considering how much younger Tate is than Schaub, I don't put his fumble on nearly the same level of Schaub's. Mistakes have different weight. Schaub's mistakes greatly outweigh Tates.

Their age is highly irrelevant to the situation. The drop off from starting qb to second is huge and the step from 2nd rb to the 3rd isn't nearly as much. Take that into account when you are talking about turnover allowance and the factor in the increased number of touches qb to rb.

Does Schaub's int outweigh Tate's fumble? Sure. Does one excuse the other? Not a chance
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #971
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Dead money is not new money. It is accounting for money already paid which has not gone on the caps to date. So it is not an issue of additional money coming out of McNair's wallet.
Yes its already accounted for. It's still money paid out to a player no longer on the team and I doubt seriously McNair likes paying it.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #972
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

At the end of last season there was a lot of infighting here about the merits of Schaub. People fought tooth and nail over it. Nobody wants to say I told you so yet, but some of us spotted the iceberg ahead last december. Some of us picked it out a LOT farther back. Now we're inseason and there's nothing to do but sit it out and watch the boat go down.

Everything I ever said about Romo to cowboy fans is true of schaub. Collapses underpressure. I still dont understand how you run a bootleg offense with a qb who cant run.

And I dont blame kubiak for not allowing audibles. We've seen schaub's decision making skills. I blame kubiak for not having the sack to bring in legit competition for schaub. Here's the next bad news: schaubs not going to recover and we'll draft a rookie...and that rookie wont start until next season is lost. Because kubiak is to conservative to start a rookie qb. This aint over till november '14. Captain ******** pick 6 is gonna be here.
Old 10-02-2013   #973
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
At the end of last season there was a lot of infighting here about the merits of Schaub. People fought tooth and nail over it. Nobody wants to say I told you so yet, but some of us spotted the iceberg ahead last december. Some of us picked it out a LOT farther back. Now we're inseason and there's nothing to do but sit it out and watch the boat go down.

Everything I ever said about Romo to cowboy fans is true of schaub. Collapses underpressure. I still dont understand how you run a bootleg offense with a qb who cant run.

And I dont blame kubiak for not allowing audibles. We've seen schaub's decision making skills. I blame kubiak for not having the sack to bring in legit competition for schaub. Here's the next bad news: schaubs not going to recover and we'll draft a rookie...and that rookie wont start until next season is lost. Because kubiak is to conservative to start a rookie qb. This aint over till november '14. Captain ******** pick 6 is gonna be here.
Don't you blame a lot of that on Rick Smith's decision to extend Schaub after the first game of last season ??

I recall Doc telling us that even tho the foot had healed , it would get worse with use .... and that's exactly what we've seen.

They jumped the gun on extending Schaub ....

As for going forward from here , If Schaub doesn't dig his way out of this funk and the team reaches the AFC Championship game at the very least .... I don't think he's on the roster next season as they can spread the cap hit out over two years at 3m & 7m each.
The big question is how that affects other players coming up to FA that they would like to keep.

There will be quite a few QB's in the first round of next years draft .... Maybe as many as 8. A couple of them I really like .....
Considering what Kubiak has been able to squeeze out of Schaub - a perennial top tier offense in both yards & scoring along with leading the league in time of possession ..... despite Schaub's inadequacies and mental breakdowns , I'd really like to see what he could do with a real talent at the position.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #974
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Speak for yourself. I think it's hilarious and well deserved. Schaub deserves every bit of hate for his performances.
WOW!! Just wow!!

HATE??? Really? Maybe you should look up the definition of "hate".

Angry? Yes! Disappointed? YES!!!! Ready to move on? Sure...

BUT HATE?? Seek help for your cranial-anal inversion syndrome!
Old 10-02-2013   #975
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Don't you blame a lot of that on Rick Smith's decision to extend Schaub after the first game of last season ??

I recall Doc telling us that even tho the foot had healed , it would get worse with use .... and that's exactly what we've seen.

They jumped the gun on extending Schaub ....

As for going forward from here , If Schaub doesn't dig his way out of this funk and the team reaches the AFC Championship game at the very least .... I don't think he's on the roster next season as they can spread the cap hit out over two years at 3m & 7m each.
The big question is how that affects other players coming up to FA that they would like to keep.

There will be quite a few QB's in the first round of next years draft .... Maybe as many as 8. A couple of them I really like .....
Considering what Kubiak has been able to squeeze out of Schaub - a perennial top tier offense in both yards & scoring along with leading the league in time of possession ..... despite Schaub's inadequacies and mental breakdowns , I'd really like to see what he could do with a real talent at the position.
Dont get me wrong, I blame ricky to. This habit of signing players comming off injury has normally worked out ok for him. But to gamble on your most important position with that percentage of the cap was stupid. I was harping back then to draft a qb to.

And you present one of my opinions better then I could. Kubiak's offense has masked schaub's deficiencies well enough to fool a lot of fans. His system is so ubber qb friendly they felt like they could address other spots on the team freely. What could this offense really do with a guy who could vertically threaten the field? How good could this offense be with a qb who threatens a defense east-west with an honest chance to run?

Here's another nostratexans prediction: when we find out what that kinda qb can do, aj and foster will be used up and gone. The window will have closed.
Old 10-02-2013   #976
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how much is on Kubiak and how much is on Schaub, but I think the conservative nature of the offense is actually hindering Schaub and the passing game as a whole. I'm no expert so maybe I'm way off here, but I feel like the offense is being so conservative that it is also making them predictable. I feel like it's all stemming from the "take what the defense gives us" approach. The Texans need to challenge defenses a whole lot more than they have been. Teams are catching on that the Texans are not going to throw deep or challenge them in any meaningful way. The Texans rarely even attempt to throw beyond the sticks on 3rd downs. All three of the recent pick sixes have been on short routes that the opposing teams saw coming from a mile away. We have Hopkins and Andre outside and speedy options in the slot, but teams know that Schaub is going to sit back there and dump off to the backs or hit TE's over the middle for 8 to 9 yards. Guess which team has the most TE targets in the NFL. Not to mention TE to WR TD ratio.

The worst thing any team can be is predictable. We need to throw some deep balls just to keep the defenses honest. Hell, send Martin on a deep streak and overthrow him by 10 yards just to make a point. Throw some jump balls to AJ DHop in the endzone, those guys are huge aerial threats going to waste. Our longest pass play this year is a short catch and long run to Martin that went for 32 yards. 32! That's actually pathetic. Yeah, that's good for 87th longest pass play this season, and I had to go to the 3rd page of stats to find it. If that doesn't scream predictable, I don't know what does. I really believe they have got to throw the ball deep to keep teams guessing and keep them honest.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #977
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rick Smith doesn't make that decision alone, or is even the tiebreaker. Kubiak/Smith/McNair had to agree on the extension. And they had to rely heavily on the future prognosis from the team doctors.
Old 10-02-2013   #978
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
I don't know how much is on Kubiak and how much is on Schaub, but I think the conservative nature of the offense is actually hindering Schaub and the passing game as a whole.
If he cant execute simple plays .... what makes you think he can execute a less conservative gameplan ?!

The entire offense is designed to make life simple and easy for the QB ... He's making simple addition and subtraction seem like quantum physics.
The system has been highly productive over the long term. The change needs to occur under center , not in the X's & O's.

Old 10-02-2013   #979
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Rick Smith doesn't make that decision alone, or is even the tiebreaker. Kubiak/Smith/McNair had to agree on the extension. And they had to rely heavily on the future prognosis from the team doctors.
I think they need some new doctors .... seems they've made a lot of mistakes.

A healthy Schaub - the guy we saw between 2009 to the point in 2011 where he went down , I would have been comfortable giving an extension , this broken version .... not so much.

Hindsight is always 20/20 ......

Old 10-02-2013   #980
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think they need some new doctors .... seems they've made a lot of mistakes.

Hindsight is always 20/20 ......
That's kind of where I was coming from. I'm not a doctor. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But it's pretty obvious to me the Texans aren't receiving the best medical advice they could. Who makes the call on the team physician anyway? McNair?

I've felt that Schaub's extension was unnecessary. Yes, he would have been a free agent in the 2013 offseason. But, I think the market would have been limited and no other team would have given him such a long term deal. Was Schaub better than several QBs on other teams? Yes. That doesn't mean these teams would have committed to him long term. Schaub should have gotten something above the deal Carson Palmer received from Arizona (3 years, $26 million, $10 mil guaranteed). Not the $29 million guaranteed he picked up for what will likely be two years of work.

I hate to describe posters as "supporters". But I would like to ask a few questions to those who believe that Schaub should remain at QB. What makes you think that Schaub will get better? I want to believe. I saw hope in the Seahawk game. And then came the lay down sacks and the pick six. I don't see a spark and I don't see anything getting better. Do you wait until the Texans are out of contention before making a move? So you wait until they go sub .500 (which could be Sunday). What will it take for you to want to see a change at QB?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read